Children of an Elder God
is a Neon Genesis Evangelion
/H. P. Lovecraft Fusion Fic
by John Biles and Rod M.Neon Genesis Evangelion
is essentially Giant Eldritch Abominations
vs Giant Robots in an apocalyptic battle with some deconstruction
and weirdness thrown in, so it only stands to reason that someone would throw Cthulhu and all the rest of the Great Old Ones into the mind-screwy stew.
The fic's main site is here
, although it is missing the final chapter. It is also located here
in text-only format, and includes the complete fic, annotated versions of the first three chapters, and a history of the Cthulhu Mythos. The original draft of the final chapter is here
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Affably Evil: Nyarlathotep, as always.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Great Old Ones take the place of the Angels. Then there's the Outer Gods.
- Giant Spider: They're some of the first enemies Shinji battles.
- Humanoid Abomination: Rei, in this fic, is far more than just a mere clone.
- Metamorphosis: Chapter 16 reveals that Ritsuko is in the process of turning into a Deep One.
- The Scottish Trope: One of the Angels (actually a Lovecraft-canon creature) can possess anyone who knows her name (even by simply seeing it written down), and will be almost guaranteed to do so if the possessee-to-be speaks it out loud. After Ayanami Rei defeats her, she gains this power and applies it to her own name. Did you read that spoiler?
- Rape as Drama: Rei rapes Asuka in one of the later chapters.