So, what do you think of her? Let me introduce you to my daughter, Sohryu Teri Langley. Have you seen how she looks like me? She's really cute... Even Misato loves her! Everyone loves her! Like with me, of course!In the early days of Neon Genesis Evangelion fanfiction, a writer named Zaku Gandi wrote a—forgotten long ago—lemon called "Wet Dreams" (click here for a copy of "Wet Dreams" and its sequel). At the end of the first chapter Asuka asks Shinji: "Shinji-kun, I'm bored. Want to fuck?" Inspired by it, another writer named TheFlashman wrote a—forgotten long ago—short-fic called "She's WHAT?" where Shinji had got Asuka pregnant. Similarly inspired by it, another writer called Axel Terizaki penned an Alternate Universe W.A.F.F. story that became one of the classics of Evangelion fanfiction: The Child of Love.The whole cast's lives are turned upside down when Asuka gets pregnant with Shinji's baby after a one-night stand. Now Asuka must go through the stages of pregnancy as trying to overcome her fears and doubts rooted in her past and sort out her feelings about becoming something she never wanted to be—a mother—and her feelings towards the Third Child.Thus a nine-months-long odyssey begins for Shinji and Asuka during which they must come to terms with their feelings, their relationship and their future parenthood… unaware what Gendo has designs of his own towards their baby. What is Gendo exactly planning? Did Asuka really have sex with Shinji because she was bored or the truth is more sinister than she and Shinji believe?The Child Of Love became incredibly popular and it spawned a sequel, several spin-offs and imitators. Teri Ikari was one of the most popular Eva fanfiction Original Characters before the creation of Aki Ikari. Nearly one decade after the conclusion of the fic she still showed up occasionally in unrelated stories such like Shinji and Asuka. Several stories made shout-outs to Child Of Love such like The Ikaris (written by Jimmy Wolk, who coincidentally also created another popular Shinji and Asuka's offspring in The Second Try and Aki-chan's Life), Strangely Darkfic or Neko Waffers.The story—complete with spin-offs and sequels—could formerly be found in Axel's website—together with his other stories—Asuka's notebook: here. It can still be found in Darkscribes (although chapter 2 is missing for some reason), here (thankfully complete), here and here. Child of Love 2 also can be found in ff.net, and Axel's ff.net profile also keeps several of his stories.Shortly after concluding the fic, Axel began a rewrite, ditching the original format and adding more detail. The rewrite is very superior to the original version; unfortunately, Axel only wrote one chapter.Compare with The Second Try, another Eva fanfic where Shinji and Asuka have to learn to have a healthy relationship and face the challenges of parenthood that features another Shinji and Asuka's daughter that is very popular between fans, but with a radically different plot, approach and narrative style.Check Advice and Trust, Evangelion 303, Higher Learning, The Ikaris, Nobody Dies, The One I Love Is, Ghosts of Evangelion, Neon Genesis Evangelion: Genocide or Mobile Fighter Evangelion to see other AU Eva fics. Check A Crown of Stars, HERZ, Neon Genesis Evangelion R, Scar Tissue and Walking in the Shadow of Dreams to see other Eva continuation fics. Check Doing It Right This Time, Once More with Feeling, RE-TAKE, The Second Try to see Peggy Sue Eva stories. Go to Children of an Elder God, Gods Angels And Kings, Last Child of Krypton, Shinji And Warhammer 40 K, Superwomen of Eva 2: Lone Heir of Krypton and Thousand Shinji if you are interested in crossovers.
But will she make it to the childbirth? Well, and why not telling you what happened, ok?
But will she make it to the childbirth? Well, and why not telling you what happened, ok?
open/close all folders
- All Men Are Perverts: Invoked. In this story Asuka gets pregnant with Shinji's baby after a one-night stand. When they are blaming each other, Shinji argues she provoked him and Asuka replies he couldn't not want it since he is a guy and all guys are perverts.
- A Mech by Any Other Name: The Evangelions, cybernetic Humongous Mecha.
- Aborted Arc: The official Fan Sequel never got finished. The rewrite never went past the first chapter.
- Abusive Parents: Shinji’s mother chose to get absorbed into Unit 01, and for whatever reason wanted her son watching as she dissolved. Right after, his father abandoned him. Meanwhile, Asuka's mother got crazy, stopped recognizing her daughter and eventually killed herself together with a doll she thought was Asuka. As she was institutionalized, Asuka’s father cheated on his wife with her nurse where Asuka could hear them, and after his wife's death, he got married with his lover and stopped looking after Asuka. Shinji and Asuka are screwed up due to this. And that was before Gendo used his son's crush like a disposable pawn with no regard for his son's feelings.
- Ace Pilot: Among the main characters, Asuka is the best Humongous Mecha pilot. She even fought and killed an Eldritch Abomination while pregnant. She fought that battle so hard her teammates were amazed.
- Action Dad: Shinji to his daughter Teri. He can doubt himself, think he's unworthy or unfit to be her father... but he would protect her with his life, and he fought his own father when Gendo threatened her.
- Action Girl: Asuka, Rei, Misato… they are soldiers, and all but the latter pilot giant robots to fight alien monsters.
- Action Mom: Asuka is a soldier, a pilot that fights giant alien monsters… and she becomes a mother in this story. Even after giving birth she still fought battles.
- Adaptational Curves: Due to her pregnancy, Asuka becomes bustier than she was in the series proper. In the sequel, Rei notes her breasts are now bigger and that her bra size has increased by at least three sizes, much to Asuka's embarrassment and anger.
- Adaptational Villainy: Gendo. In the original series he was a broken shell of a man who made horrible things to get his wife back, and cared about his son deep down but sent him away because of his fears that he wouldn't be a good father to Shinji. In this story he makes horrible things because he has delusions of godhood, does not care about Shinji at all, and he is willing to use babies to fight his war.
- Adult Fear: Several times Shinji tells he is very scared that something bad will happen to his daughter Teri, or that she will grow up unhappy or lonely because he has not done his job as a father well. Asuka also fears Teri will get traumatized because of her.
- Shinji being frightened of being unable to protect Asuka and their daughter was the reason for him seeing himself as unworthy of being a father, and running from his family for a month.
- During her Mind Rape, Arael exploited Asuka's fear to lose her child.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: After kissing and confessing during a festival Shinji and Asuka cuddled together. Shinji brushed away stray locks from her face as they snuggled up.She rests her head against Shinji's shoulder, and he gently brushes some hair away from his redheaded goddess' face.
- All According to Plan: In the first chapters Gendo reiterates everything is going as planned when he gets notified details about Asuka’s pregnancy. That was the first hint that something was very, very wrong behind Asuka getting pregnant.Gendo:"As planned..."
- Amazon Chaser: Shinji loves and is drawn to Asuka's bravery and fierceness when she fights.
- Anger Born of Worry: In chapter 7, Shinji gets struck during a battle and Asuka loses her temper utterly.
- Armor-Piercing Question:
- In chapter 5, Gendo is rambling about his plans furthering the human evolution:Fuyutsuki:"You're going too far, Ikari. Yui wouldn't approve what you're about to do. She would probably wonder what happened to the Gendo she loved and married...and how could you call that 'humankind's evolution'?"
- In chapter 8 Asuka is furious with Shinji because he has lost his nerve, and he has broken up because he thinks he is unfit to be her boyfriend and their child’s father and she says she does not love him anymore. Misato does not buy it, though:Asuka:"Shinji's a bastard. Nothing more."
Misato:"Asuka...tell me. Do you love him?"
Misato:"Do you love him...?"
Misato:"DO YOU LOVE HIM!?"
Misato (frowning):"DO YOU LOVE HIM!?"
Asuka (between little sobs):"Yes...I..."
- In chapter 5, Gendo is rambling about his plans furthering the human evolution:
- Armor-Piercing Response: Shinji broke up with Asuka because he thought he could not protect her, ergo he was unfit to be her boyfriend and her child’s father. Nothing anybody said managed to change his mind… until this exchange:Asuka (walking towards him):"Why are you running away from us, Shinji?"
Shinji:"I...I'm not able to protect you, you already know that."
Asuka:"And what's the matter with that? I'm strong. I can take care of myself. I don't need your protection. However, I need something else from you."
- Armor-Piercing Slap:
He didn't realize how fast Asuka could run to the other side of a bed. She looked furious...even more than usual, if it could be possible. She looks him right in the eyes and slaps him, the sound of which resonates throughout the room like a gunshot. It was the second time in his life that Asuka had slapped Shinji. The first time was on the aircraft carrier. He looks up at her seconds later, and sees that she has tears in her eyes
- Ritsuko, of all people, gives Gendo one of these after finding out his plans for Asuka's child.
- Asuka gives a well-deserved one to Shinji when he begins having doubts about himself and breaks up with Asuka because he thinks he is not fit to be her boyfriend and Teri’s father, since he thinks he can not protect them:
- The Atoner: Ritsuko tried to atone for helping Gendo’s schemes. So that she gave Asuka pills meant to turn Teri into a normal child.
- Attention Whore: Asuka yearns for, and loves attention due to being abandoned when she was a child. She tries to be the best at everything, and to be as loud and bold as possible, because she thinks nobody will ever care about her otherwise.Shinji (realizing that he just said what he thought):"I-I...I was just saying that you were cute....err..."
Asuka:"Really? I'm not so surprised. I know I'm cute. But anyway, thanks."
Shinji (to himself):"Jeez...if you were any more egotistic, you'd die from it." (to Asuka:) "That kimono fits you very well."
- Author Appeal: Axel is very fond of Asuka, very much so. He is also a die-hard S/A shipper.
- Author Avatar: The owner of the AXL's Game Center arcade is an avatar of Axel.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Even when they were fighting and mad with each other, Shinji and Asuka still showed they cared for each other.
- When Asuka collapsed in front of Misato’s apartment, Shinji remained the whole time by her side, keeping watch over her and gazing at her beautiful sleeping face.
- Asuka said Shinji’s birthday gift was the only gift that meant something to her that day, and she cried when she saw it.
- Babies Ever After: During their wedding in the last scene Asuka tells Shinji he has got her knocked up again.
- Babies Make Everything Better: Played straight in still another example that tropes are not bad. At the beginning Asuka is wary and Shinji is frightened, but the thought of becoming parents forces them both to come to terms with their feelings gradually for their child's sake. At the same time it is treated a bit more realistically than other examples: Asuka's pregnancy strains their already troubled and complicated relationship, and Shinji actually got frightened and ran away for a while.
- Bad Boss: Gendo Ikari plays with his employees’ emotions and motivations to manipulate them, discards them when he considers that they have outlived their usefulness, threatens them with terrible punishments if they do not comply, and is not above of boosting his teenager pilot’s hormones so that she has sex and gets pregnant because he wants to play genetic engineer with her baby, even if it may kill her.
- Bad Dreams: Asuka often has nightmares where she dreams about her mother, her madness, her suicide… and how Kyoko wanted her dying together with her.
- Badass Bookworm: Asuka is mainly a fighter and a warrior, but she is also a fourteen-years-old genius with a college degree. In chapter 7 she could not sortie to fight a giant alien, but she contributed with her strategic expertise and thanks to her tactics her teammates managed to win that battle.
- Batman Gambit:
- Gendo's plan relied on nobody interfering either because they were too spineless—Shinji—or they could be intimidated—Kaji, Fuyutsuki—or they had no reason to disobey him—Rei. When several of them resolved to fight him, his plan fell apart.
- A benign—and funny—example in chapter 6: Asuka did not want Shinji and Rei walking together to headquarters, so she pretended passing out, hoping that Shinji stayed with her for a while and Rei left alone. Shinji picked her, laid her down on her bed and left with Rei anyway or so Asuka thought. In reality both kids stayed with her.
- Battle Couple: It took a good while for them to open up to each other, but Shinji and Asuka got together and kept fighting giant monsters together. In chapter 3 it is not until Asuka rushes in the battlefield that the team gains the upper hand. In chapter 7 she does not fight directly due to her pregnancy, but she provides tactical support. After giving birth she and Shinji fight in tandem.
- Beach Episode: In chapter 6 of the sequel Asuka and Shinji go on a vacation to the beach.
- Beautiful Dreamer:
- In chapter 2 Shinji contemplates Asuka as she is sleeping, and he thinks she looks like an angel.Shinji is looking down at Asuka. She has a dreamlike smile on her face.
Shinji (to himself):"When she wants, she can be a real little angel..."
- In chapter 9 Shinji hesitates about waking Asuka up because she looks cute as she is sleeping.
- In chapter 2 Shinji contemplates Asuka as she is sleeping, and he thinks she looks like an angel.
- Bedmate Reveal: The morning after the Obon festival, Asuka wakes up and sees Shinji sleeping in her bed. Initially she thinks that she’s sleeping, but when Shinji mutters something, she realizes that he’s really sleeping in her bed, and screams.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Among Shinji and Asuka due to their inability to acknowledge and express their feelings—and realize each other’s—and their fear of others. After Asuka got pregnant they still fought for a while, but Shinji gradually tried to be more courageous and Asuka slowly tried to open herself a bit, and they finally got together.
- Beneath the Mask: As they talk during the Obon festival, Shinji says Asuka can be very annoying or very nice. Then she says she tries to avoid pain by driving people away, and Shinji muses it is like if they are hiding behind a shield. For a while after her reconciliation she showed her sweet side underneath the harsh exterior only to Shinji.Shinji:"You're right, Asuka-chan. It's kind of like...we're hiding ourselves from the pain behind a shield."
- Berserk Button:
- Misato is a very overprotective Mama Bear. Usually she acts self-controlled, calm and respectful when in presence of a superior. When she heard Gendo was scheming something might kill one of her wards and would hurt the another she walked in his office to put a bullet in his head.
- Rei is unemotional and collected... but where her niece is concerned. Threaten Teri and she will snap and will crush you.
- The Berserker: In chapter 3 Asuka took a tip from Asukhon and fought extremely furiously. One month later Shinji was still concerned about it.Shinji is on his bed, hands under his head, looking at the ceiling. He is thinking about...about how fierce Asuka was in her last battle. He can picture the rage on Asuka's face, as if she was possessed by some demon.
- Beta Couple: Misato and Kaji. In the past they faced similar troubles to Shinji and Asuka’s, and now they are slowly rekindling their relationship.
- Beware the Nice Ones: It took a lot to make kind, non-confrontational Shinji snapping... but after his father Gendo nearly got Asuka killed, schemed to turn their baby daughter into a war weapon Shinji was most unhappy. Finding out Gendo had lied to him about burning all his mother's pictures was the last Straw. Shinji marched in his cell, called him out on everything and said he wanted nothing to do with him anymore and that would be their final conversation (understand Shinji is usually terrified of his father).
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Rei is usually tranquil, quiet and passive. Then Gendo threatened her niece, Shinji's daughter. Explosions and violence followed.
- Big Bad: Gendo. He was behind Asuka’s overwhelming arousal which drove her to sleeping with Shinji, and he schemed to turn her daughter—his own granddaughter!—into a biological super-weapon.
- Big Damn Heroes:
- In chapter 3 an Angel is threatening with crushing Shinji and Rei. Then Asuka shows up, breaking her previous synch records and stops the Angel with one hand.
- In chapter 9 Gendo is about to carry out his plan. Then Rei shows up in full Mama Bear mode and slams him with her A T Field. Then Shinji, Misato and Kaji arrive on the place.
- The Big Damn Kiss: In chapter 5, Shinji and Asuka kiss while watching fireworks during the Obon festival.Too late. Asuka takes Shinji's head in her hands and kisses him hard on the lips. The kiss feels like it could last for an eternity, while their tongues dance in their mouths. It's like when the two of them danced together while battling Israphel, the 7th Angel. The only sounds audible are the pops and pams from the fireworks behind them. Asuka can't believe the sensations that are forcing their way into her...she didn't want to fall for Shinji, but it's already too late. On the other side, Shinji returns the kiss with all his heart. He really loves Asuka, despite all the things she had done and said to him. Finally, Asuka breaks off the kiss. She has a big smile on her face.
- Bio-Augmentation: Gendo altered Teri’s DNA in order to turn her into a kind of Super Soldier. She’s telepathy, telekinesis, and some kind of precognition. She also can travel into other people’s dreams, and wields an AT Field.
- Birthday Episode: In chapter 4 Asuka's fifteenth birthday comes up and Misato holds a birthday party. After the party Asuka finds Shinji's gift (an engagement ring) and it is right then when she realizes she loves him.
- Blood Knight: In chapter 3 Asuka had just woken up from a nightmare and was sick, weakened and bedridden. Then she heard there was a battle she was not taking part in. She rose right away and went to get in her giant robot and fight.
- Subverted after the Angel War since for that point she is already sick of fighting and killing and she wants to live peacefully.
- Bonding Over Missing Parents: When Misato told Shinji how Asuka’s mother died, he felt he could understand Asuka better now because he was also an orphan. Later on, Shinji opens up to her and talks about his mother’s death, and Asuka says he’s the only one she can trust because he’s the only one can understand her.Shinji: I saw her crying in her sleep once. Poor Asuka... I understand now how she feels.
- Bonus Material: This story has two omakes: in one of them Asuka berates the author for not updating his site. In the other the pilots and their friends play an arcade.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In chapter seventh's omake, Asuka berates the author because he is lazy and hasn't updated his website.
- Break the Cutie: Shinji had endured his mother dying and his father abandoning him straight after and summoning him back ten years later to fight giant alien monsters. He roomed with a beautiful red-head girl that he loved even though she claimed disliking him. Then he got her knocked up and she became more hostile and meaner to him. After a while her behaviour softened, they got together… and right when they were happy at last he got warned that his father was plotting something might kill Asuka and would take their daughter away him. Shinji got broken several times over, but ultimately he pulled himself together.
- Break the Haughty: Asuka was prideful and boastful because her very fragile self-image was founded on being the best at everything and depending on nobody. She never wanted to have children and piloting Eva was everything she thought she had. Then she fell in love with her greatest rival, he got her pregnant and she stopped being a pilot due to her pregnancy. Her self-image got shattered, but she managed to pull herself together, and when Shinji reached out to her she opened up, acknowledged her feelings and trusted him. And then he chickened out.
- Broken Ace: Asuka is a brilliant girl and an excellent mecha pilot, but she's also an orphan with self-worth, self-confidence and trust issues. And then she got pregnant at the age of fourteen. And then she found out that his Commander used her like a doll.
- Broken Bird: Asuka lost her mother, got ditched by her father, got trained to fight giant monsters despite being just a kid… and she always tried to overcome it and becoming stronger and more self-reliant.
- Bullying a Dragon: Really, really Touji should not have mocked Asuka’s gaming skills. He ought to know she would destroy them all.
- But Not Too Foreign: Asuka and her daughter Teri are part German, part Japanese.
- Calling the Old Man Out: In the sequel, Shinji calls Gendo out on lying about destroying all Yui’s pictures and then Shinji says after everything Gendo has done to him and his family he wants nothing of him.Shinji:"You lied to me, you bastard, [...] that picture of mother, you had it all along. [...] You just wanted to keep it to yourself, [...] you selfish bastard."
Gendo:"Is that all?"
Shinji:"I hope they keep you in here forever, [...] even that'll be too good for you, after all that you have done."
Gendo:"You mean like bringing you and the Second Children together?"
Shinji:"I didn't need you for that! [...] we never needed you to fall in love! You were only using me, using Asuka, using Teri! [...] HOW COULD YOU?!"
Gendo:"Because I needed to,"
[Shinji turns to leave]]
Gendo:"Aren't you forgetting something?"
Gendo:"I was thinking, I know that Colonel Katsuragi is now your legal guardian, [...] but shouldn't you ask me for permission to marry the Second Children, even if it's merely for formality?"
Gendo:"You are planning to marry her, aren't you? You are the father of her child."
Shinji:"We don't need anything from you. We want nothing to do with you. This will be our last meeting, as far as I am concerned. [...] I'm finished here,"
- Can't Hold His Liquor: One beer can is all is needed to get Shinji drunk:Shinji:"Yeah...sort of...before you arrived, Misato used to tease me by switching the drinks around in the fridge..." (blushing heavily:) "I once got drunk from only one can of Yebichu because of that..."
- Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them: While watching the fireworks durin the Obon festival Shinji and Asuka talk and realize even if they often argue and fight and find each other’s attitude and behaviour exasperating and overbearing they really like each other and would hate being apart.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Asuka could not spit it out because she was afraid of admitting she loved and needed Shinji, and she did not believe he was really in love with her. Shinji could not spit it out for a while because he thought she did not love him back. Finally they spat it out in chapter 5.
- Captain Obvious: Ritsuko was hit hard with this in the first chapter:Ritsuko:"Anyway, she...she can't think about it! And if an Angel attacks late in her term, she won't be able to pilot Unit 02!"
Misato:"Oh, you found that out by yourself?"
- Catapult Nightmare: In chapter 2 of the sequel Asuka does this after a nightmare:The girl gasped, and shot up from her sleep. Her red hair glistened in the moonlight from the window, sweat and tears streaked down her face.
"Asuka-chan," said Shinji softly, sitting up also, "are you having nightmares again?"
- Cerebus Syndrome: In the chapter 4 the story begins turning darker when it is revealed Gendo has designs upon Asuka and her baby.
- Character Development: Throughout the story Shinji and Asuka undergo extensive gradual development: During nine months Shinji learns to be more responsible and stops running away, and Asuka starts to behave more nicely and be more open.
- Chef of Iron:
- Shinji is giant robot pilot and a good cook. Actually, Misato is not allowed cooking in their apartment.
- When Asuka tries to make breakfast, she shows she is actually a pretty good cook.
- Chekhov's Gun: In a chapter Ritsuko tells Misato: “Trust me”. In the final chapter Misato realizes that is the password to access Ritsuko’s personal logs.
- Child of Two Worlds: Asuka is half American, one quarter German and one quarter Japanese. She chose a Western name for her child and she gave Shinji chocolates in Valentine’s Day because it’s the tradition in Japan.
- Children Raise You: Shinji and Asuka were a pair of introvert, mentally damaged teenagers. They were almost incapable of opening up to each other and getting along well. When Shinji got Asuka pregnant their relationship got worse initially, but since neither of them wanted to screw their daughter in the way their parents screwed them, they forced themselves to get their act together and mature.
- Child Soldiers: Shinji, Asuka and Rei—of course—fourteen kids forced to—or cajoled into—fighting giant alien monsters. It gets worse, though, when Gendo decides turning a newborn baby into a war weapon.
- Childhood Friend Romance: In the sequel shows up Takuma Satori, a boy met and befriended the first Rei for a short while when they were little kids. Takuma had a crush on Rei, but whether he was unlucky or victorious is not known due to the sequel being unfinished.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: After getting together Asuka often gets jealous and paranoiac when another woman gets close to Shinji.Asuka:"Why is she trying to avoid us these days? She must be sooooo jealous of our love!"
Shinji:"And why do you think that every woman's gonna take me away from you?"
Asuka (seductively):"Because I want you all for myself, baka Shinji."
- Conveniently an Orphan: When he was four Shinji lost his mother, and his father abandoned him shortly after. During a conversation with Misato he learns Asuka went through the same thing than him (but her ordeal was harsher). At the end of the story he also learns they are mecha pilots because they are orphans since their mothers are inside their robots.
- Cooldown Hug: In the epilogue, Asuka is feeling upset, blaming herself for Teri not being normal, but she gradually calms down when Shinji hugs her:Asuka (now just sniffling a bit):"Hmmm... being in these strong arms feels so good, Shinji...please, hold me tighter..."
- Cool Uncle: Rei was this to Teri. Even before her birth she was very protective of her niece (very violently protective). When Teri was born she helped to raise her, and Teri was very fond of her.
- Crazy Enough to Work: Asuka’s plan to deal with a flying Angel shot light beams was… getting a giant mirror to reflect its light beams back towards it. Since they had no giant mirrors Asuka thought of using two solar panels.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Shinji. He was actually jealous when Asuka found the arcade game centre’s manager cute and nice. When he did a special favour for them and Asuka got delighted in reaction, Shinji instantly got angry, moody and snappy.
- Crush Blush: It happens several times to Shinji and Asuka while they try to start out a relationship:
- In chapter 2 Misato reminds Shinji of his and Asuka first time and he blushes.
- In chapter 6 Shinji made Asuka blush:Shinji (smiling):"And why did you say 'I was that appealing' earlier? You're still very attractive now!"
Asuka (blushing):"Oh, shut the hell up!!! You'll make me blush!"
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Asuka against the Angel that appeared in chapter 3. The giant alien was crushing her fellow pilots when she came along, pushed it away with a hand, and helped Shinji and Rei to kill it with a single attack.
- Curse Cut Short: After believing Asuka had died and then hearing her laughter Misato begins saying "What the f...?" before trailing off.
- Cursed with Awesome: Teri really does not like her psychic powers. She is afraid that people will think she is weird and will shun her out if they find out.
- Deadpan Snarker: After tripping Gendo, Rei delivers an excellent bit of snark:"You should look in front of you when you're running like that."
- Death by Childbirth: Throughout the story the cast discovers Asuka may die when she gives birth due to Gendo’s tinkering with her daughter's DNA, and they try to find ways to prevent Asuka's death. At the final chapter Shinji and other characters think for a moment she has passed away.
- Death Glare:
- In chapter 2 Shinji congratulates Asuka for keeping her score. She glowers at Shinji with a threatening look for a few seconds, pretending being angry, before grinning and saying “Thank you”.
- In chapter 4 Shinji asks Kaji if he will come to Asuka's birthday party. Misato, who did NOT want him coming, hurls at him a flaming angry glare.
- In chapter 5 Misato wants Shinji and Asuka going together to the Obon festival. Asuka tries to object… and Misato silences her with a glare:Misato (with a look in her eyes that could turn an entire fanatic army into a bunch of chickens):"There's no 'but.' That's an order!"
Shinji and Asuka:"Yes, ma'am!"
Misato:"Now, get out there and enjoy yourselves!"
Shinji and Asuka:"Yes, ma'am! Right away, ma'am!"
- Defrosting Ice Queen: At the beginning of the story Asuka is very distraught about being pregnant and not ready to acknowledge her feelings so she tries to push Shinji away very hard and very angrily. Later she calms down gradually, and Shinji tries real hard to reach her out and show he cares for her. Eventually Asuka admits to herself she is in love with him and opens up.
- Designer Babies: Gendo made sure that Asuka’s entry plug was filled with a new type of LCL blended with especial DNA agents to alter Asuka’s baby. Due to this, Teri started to develop Psychic Powers before being born.
- Despair Event Horizon: In chapter 5 Asuka is so confused and so frightened of her feelings and of Shinji she can not take it anymore and decides killing herself.
- Did You Think I Can't Feel?: Gendo never, ever, thought Rei might rebel against him, believing she was under his full control. However Rei had developed feelings towards Shinji, and due to those feelings she was becoming very protective of his family. Hence, she stepping aside would simply not happen. He should have foreseen it but he was genuinely shocked when she struck him.
- Disappeared Dad: Both Shinji and Asuka’s fathers stopped taking care of them after their mothers’ deaths. In the case of Gendo, he was afraid of Shinji and of screwing him up if he raised him.
- Distant Finale: The last chapter happens seven years and a half after Teri’s birth and shows Shinji and Asuka as adults and raising their children as still living in Misato’s apartment.
- The Dog Bites Back: After using, manipulating and treating his subordinates like crap, Gendo’s plans to use Asuka as a test tube to create a genetically-enhanced super-soldier with little regard for the mother’s survival or the baby’s welfare were the straw broke the camels back. Everyone turned on him, including Rei and he got ousted and locked.
- Dope Slap: During an emergency Misato orders the pilots’ friends hurry to the nearest shelter as she takes the three Eva pilots with her. Kensuke says there are only two pilots only because Asuka is an inactive pilot, disregarding she is very sensitive about the issue. Asuka hit him on the back of his head.
- Double Entendre:
- In chapter 2 Misato calls Ritsuko to tell her that Asuka has collapsed and Shinji is examining her:Misato:"Shinji is examining her! He says she has a high temperature!"
Ritsuko:"He's examining her? What kind of 'examination' is he giving her now?"
Misato:"Cut that out! I'M SERIOUS HERE!!!"
- In chapter 5 Asuka makes breakfast, Misato tells it is one of the best breakfasts she has ever eaten and Asuka asks:Misato(interrupting her):"Hey, I'm not joking! The food was really excellent, Asuka. You should cook more often. It's one of the best breakfasts I've ever ate!"
Asuka:"You mean, it's one of the first breakfasts you've ever ate, don't you?"
Asuka(sarcastically):"Or...is it one of the first breakfasts you ever ate without Kaji's 'sauce'?"
Misato (shocked):"W-what do you mean!?"
Asuka:"Oh, nothing, nothing...!"
Misato (shouting):"You're disgusting!!!"
Asuka (laughing):"H-hey! You never stopped moaning his name while you were sleeping! 'Oh, Kaji! Yeeesssss!!! I want more!!!! That tastes so gooood!!!! Gimme more breakfast!!!'"
- In chapter 2 Misato calls Ritsuko to tell her that Asuka has collapsed and Shinji is examining her:
- Dream Sequence:
- Asuka has several of these:
- In chapter 3 she has a feverish dream in which a voice asks her dying and another voice encourages her to keep living, open herself and be a good mother.
- Shinji also goes through several dream sequences:
- In chapter 6 he dreams of his mother telling him being strong and reassuring him that she will protect him and his family.
- Later he has another dream in which his daughter warns him that her and her mother are in danger and they need him.
- In the side-story called “Ayanami’s Lesson”, Rei has a dream where she meets Teri. After that dream she makes her choice to turn against Gendo.
- Asuka has several of these:
- Drives Like Crazy: Misato has little regard for the speed limit. When she is taking Teri anywhere, Asuka has to ask her driving carefully.
- Driven to Suicide: Shortly after her birthday Asuka could not take it anymore and locked herself in the bathroom and swallowed a bottle of sleeping pills.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Subverted in chapter 8. Misato is sitting at the kitchen table, head buried in her hands because she is grief-stricken and hopeless to save Asuka’s life. A beer can is sitting on the table in front of Misato, suggesting she has been drinking to try to forget… until the narration states that she has not touched her beer yet.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Shinji and Asuka had to work hard to get their happy ending. First of all they had to learn to stop fighting and reach each other out. Then they had to go through Asuka’s pregnancy. Then they had to stop Gendo’s plans which might mean Asuka’s death and Teri being turned into a living tool of war. THEN they had to beat the remnant Angels AND SEELE and at the same time raising their baby.
- Eating the Eye Candy: In chapter 9, Shinji carries an exhausted Asuka to their room and helps her strip her clothes. When she was down to her underwear he stared at her for several seconds, wondering at how cute she was.
- Eldritch Abomination:
- In chapter 3 shows up a fanmade Angel. It looked like a thin feather with a sphere on the top. It might seem light but it weighed 3,000,000,000 tons.
- In chapter 7 shows up another fanmade Angel. It looked like a winged Evangelion unit.
- Emotionless Girl: At the beginning Rei is very unemotional. Throughout the history she has to struggle with new emotions she is unprepared for: her jealousy towards Asuka, her caring towards Shinji, her protective feelings towards Teri… and in the process she learns to acknowledge them and becomes somewhat more expressive.
- The End of the World as We Know It: For most of the story the Children fought the Angels thinking they were stopping a bunch of Eldritch Abominations from exterminating the humankind. After Gendo got arrested, his right hand Fuyutsuki came clean with Misato and Kaji, revealing that secret organization SEELE was using NERV to cause the end of the world. From that point the cast fights to stop both the Angels and SEELE and save the world.
- Erotic Dream: This fic was inspired by a lemon fanfiction where Shinji had erotic dreams about Asuka.
- Everyone Can See It: Subverted. Most characters like Hikari think it is evident to everyone Asuka and Shinji like each other, but other characters like Misato do not realize Asuka’s feelings towards Shinji go beyond friendship.
- Everyone Has Standards: Gendo had done plenty questionable or horrible things, but in this story he mixes Asuka's LCL with hormone-boosters so that she has sex and gets pregnant—-despite of being only thirteen. Then he modifies her foetus genetically in order to create a new Super Soldier lifeform he plans to use like a weapon as soon as Asuka gives birth... additionally, Asuka may die when she delivers her baby, who is accidentally his granddaughter, but Gendo does not care. Everyone is so disgusted and sickened with him—including his lover, his right hand and his puppet who had helped him loyally until then—that they turn against him. Even Rei—who had been absolutely and unconditionally faithful to him—said she'd rather obey Misato, because she was "more human".
- Everything's Better with Penguins: When Pen-Pen is mentioned, it is hilarious. In this segment of the introduction to the final chapter:Is Pen-pen preparing a super counterattack in order to make Gendo's plans fail?
- Expendable Clone:
- Gendo was not worried about Rei interfering with his plans because he treated her as an expendable tool who would follow his orders to the letter and would never rebel. He was wrong. Very, very wrong.
- Ironically Rei's clone status is treated as something good in the sequel. NERV's new leadership is more decent than Gendo, but when Rei II dies as fighting Armisael, they are relieved because she can be brought back since she has several dozens of spare bodies.
- Eye Beams: One of the Angels they fight is armed with a wide beam of yellow light it shoots at regular intervals.
- False Reassurance: In the omake of chapter 7, Axel thinks Asuka is going to hit him. However Asuka reassures him that he isn't worth a slap from her. Axel calms down... and Asuka proceeds to kick his groin.
- Festival Episode: In episode 5 Shinji and Asuka go to Obon festival. They wear kimono, spend the afternoon together, hang out with their friends in the local arcade and watch fireworks together. As they are doing the latter activity they have a serious talk, open up and get together officially.
- Fiery Redhead: Asuka is real fiery, fierce and emotional. In chapter 3 Shinji was shocked at her fierceness and rage as she fought.
- First Girl Wins: Asuka is the first girl shows up in the story. Shinji got her pregnant and throughout her pregnancy they must come to terms with their inminent parenthood and repair their strained relationship, eventually getting together.
- First Kiss: Asuka and Shinji's first kiss had been pretty awkward due to their inexperience and Asuka using a bad excuse to kiss Shinji (alleging she was bored). So that when she approached him saying she was bored again Shinji was pretty wary of it.
- Follow the Leader: This story started the trend of Shinji and Asuka having a daughter in fanfiction. When they have offspring in any fanwork, ninety percent of time it is a girl: Akiko, Sakiko, their two unnamed children in RE-TAKE, Aki, Kali, Ariel, their unborn daughter in Last Child of Krypton, Misato, Ryuko in Ghosts of Evangelion…
- For Want of a Nail: The nail was Asuka having an one-night stand with Shinji due to Gendo messing up with her hormones and getting pregnant.
- Foregone Conclusion: Axel wrote an epilogue featuring a seven-years-old Teri and a one-shot set in Teri’s teen years, so that whoever reads the unfinished sequel already knows Nerv wins the Angel War, Third Impact does not happen, and Shinji, Asuka, Teri, her brother, Rei, Misato and Kaji survive.
- Foreign Cuss Word: At the end of the first chapter—and at other times—Asuka exclaims “Scheisse” (meaning “Shit” in German).
- Forgotten First Meeting: In the sequel Rei met Takuma when she was a child. Takuma did not forget her, but Gendo wiped his existence from Rei’s memory.
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You: In an omake, Asuka kicks Axel in the groin after hearing him say that she was angry because it was her time of the month.
- Freakiness Shame: in “Gifts” Teri does not like her Psychic Powers and is afraid that other people will think she is a freak if they discover her abilities. When her friends find out, though, they think her powers are cool and are supportive.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: The Angel shows up in the seventh chapter shoots laser beams. Shinji and Rei have little trouble to dodge them or raise their energy shields before the beam strikes them.
- Gamer Chick: Asuka and Hikari like playing games and they often go to a video arcade to play fighting games and shooters. Eventually they get Rei into them, too.
- Genki Girl: According Takuma in the sequel, Rei was very cheerful, vivacious and nosy when she was a little child.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: In chapter 9 Misato is trying to get Shinji moving to go with her and save Asuka, but the sudden shock has paralized him, so she resorts to slap him to get him focused:Misato:"Grab your stuff off the floor and put it on in the car! I told you, there's no time to waste!"
Shinji:"Will you at least tell me what's going on!!!!?"
Misato (losing patience):"ASUKA'S GONNA GIVE BIRTH SOON!!!!!! Now hurry up, Shinji-kun!"
He stands there trembling.
Misato slaps him. Shinji doesn't even flinch.
Misato:"You're supposed to be a man now. ACT like a man! Come with me, NOW!"
He then grabs his clothes off the floor, and Misato half-drags him to the car, where Kaji is waiting for them.
- Giant Equals Invincible: After the Angel War Shinji and Asuka are cajoled into taking part in peace-keeping missions. They don’t want to kill anyone but Misato assures them the only thing they have to do is show up and scare them because everyone knows giant robots are invincible.
- Gilligan Cut: From "And I doubt that Shinji will try anything with her..." to "Oh... yeah, Shinji... yesssss... deeper... I... I..."
- Girlish Pigtails: Asuka and Hikari wear this hairstyle.
- Go Into the Light: In chapter 5 during a dream Asuka’s deceased mother asks her coming with her to the sky. Asuka starts flying upwards and at the light, but a vision of her daughter stops her.
- Good Parents: After having Teri, Shinji and Asuka try to be good parents for their kids. Shinji in particular was constantly tired during the first months because he was trying to combine parenting with school.
- Gratuitous French: Spoken by the managers of an arcade game center where the children often play. After meeting the owners, Shinji and Asuka learn some French words and use them every so often (it helps the fanfic’s writer is French):Asuka:"I guess I'll need something fashionable..."
Shinji (grinning, with a bad fake French accent):"De préférence."
Asuka (puzzled):"Wh...what did you say?"
Shinji:"Preferably, in French. The staff at AXL's Game Center taught me some cool French phrases, you know."
- Gratuitous German: Used by Asuka here and there. Unfortunately it is obvious that the writer did not know German and he frequently misspelled words (like “oberarsche” or “scheist”).Asuka:"Guten Morgen, Shinji-kun!"
- Gratuitous Japanese: It is used here and there. For example, in chapter 3:Asuka(sighing):"Well...Asuka! Ikuhayo [Here we go]!"
- Greater-Scope Villain: SEELE. In the first story they were behind Gendo, ordering him around and watching him to ensure he fulfilled their goals, knowing fully well he had an agenda of his and being aware of his project to create a new lifeform to fight them with. In the sequel they remained in the shadow, sending their agents to spy on the heroes and destabilize them as they get ready to fight them and carry forward his plot to create a new god.
- Green-Eyed Monster:
- In chapter 1 Shinji explains the “jealousy” concept to Rei. She tells she thinks she is indeed jealous, but she is not mad with him.
- On the other hand Shinji gets angry, snappy and rude when other men talk to Asuka. And Asuka is also very possessive (not surprising since she is a very insecure person).
- Grew a Spine: After getting Asuka pregnant Shinji convinces himself that he must to stop run away and face his responsibilities. In the process he becomes more assertive and somewhat more strong-willed.Shinji:"...but I know one thing: I care for her and for our child. Even if she denies it, this child's part of me. I can't leave those two alone. I just can't. Even if she pushes me aside, I can't leave her!!"
- Subverted. Although Shinji tries to be more responsible and determined he is still a shy kid and often he is tempted to run away and hide and a member of the cast (Asuka, Misato…) has to help him or coax him into facing his fears.
- Groin Attack: In chapter 7's omake Asuka kicks Axel’s groin hard after an “It must be that time of the month” comment.
- Happily Married: After so many trials and pains Shinji and Asuka end up getting married and leading happy lives.
- Hates Being Alone: Before meeting Shinji Asuka was alone and she said herself she was right with that. But after hooking up with Shinji she can not lie to herself anymore and she admits she hates it.Asuka:"I was alone! ALONE! I was fine with that! But...now...I don't want to be alone anymore...it hurts! Being alone was nothing but pain!"
- Hates Being Touched: After getting pregnant Asuka does not like being touched, especially on her belly. When Hikari tickles and squeezes her stomach in the first chapter, she reacts badly:Asuka (suddenly shouting loudly):"DON'T TOUCH ME THERE!!"
- Heel–Face Turn: Rei turns on Gendo to protect Shinji and Asuka's child.
- The Hero: Shinji, who is determined to try to be a better person and fight to protect the woman he loves and their baby.
- Henpecked Husband: Shinji is this to Asuka. Whatever she wanted, she eventually got it because he went along with everything. Touji lampshaded it in the fifth chapter:Toji: (to Shinji) Not yet married, and she's already henpecking you…
- Heroes Want Redheads: Shinji loves Asuka and is determined to be there for her and for their daughter.
- High-School Sweethearts: Shinji and Asuka were fourteen and went to the same school when they had an one-night stand and Asuka got pregnant. Asuka's pregnancy strained their complicated relationship but they fell in love despite everything and after a while got married.
- Holding Hands: In chapter 9, after Asuka has delivered Teri, she and Shinji hold hands.Asuka:"Pfff, don't cry, baka. Hold my hand..."
Shinji does as he is told and takes Asuka's left hand in his, squeezing it gently.
Asuka:"You make me feel a lot better, Shinji."
- Hope Is Scary: Shinji had loved Asuka as soon as he met her and alter a while they got together, but [spoiler:he thought he could not protect her and he broke up.]] Misato asked him if he was afraid of his dreams and hopes becoming real, and replied maybe he was.Misato:"I know you, Shinji-kun. I know that you wanted Asuka's love from the very beginning of all this. Maybe even before. I'll bet that, from the first time you saw her, you knew that you had to live with her forever. My question is, why are you leaving your hopes and dreams behind when they've come true now? Are you afraid of them?"
- Hot-Blooded: Asuka is passionate and emotional. And her emotions can get pretty extreme: when she is angry, she is mad or furious (as Shinji found out after her pregnancy’s announcement or as fighting a Robeast in chapter 3), and when she is happy, she is sweet and tender.
- House Husband: Shinji is the one does all chores in the Katsuragi household.
- Humanoid Abomination: Rei looks a mostly normal teen girl (even if a tad weird and emotionless), but in reality she is a piece of the soul of an ancient alien goddess stuck inside Shinji's mother's cloned body. The main characters found about it when she slammed Gendo with her A T Field.
- Humongous Mecha: The bio-mechanical Evangelions. In addition to the canon Evas, a new Unit-04 showed up in the sequel.
- Hurting Hero: In case that losing their mothers, being ditched by their fathers before being four and fighting giant otherworldly monsters was not traumatic enough, Asuka has sex with Shinji and gets pregnant. Now they have to patch their relationship up—even if they are barely capable to have a civil conversation—and learn to be parents—even if they are mind-broken teenagers. And even if they get together Asuka still may die when she delivers Teri because Gendo is using her to create a new life-form, and giving birth that life-form may kill Asuka.
- Asuka calls Misato this in chapter 1 since Misato is lecturing her about having sex despite of her and Kaji having a healthy sex life. It misses the point since Misato is lecturing her about being underage and having unprotected sex claiming she was bored.
- In chapter 5 Misato chides Asuka about always pushing Shinji away, and Asuka accuses her of hypocrisy again, stating she does the same things with Kaji. This time, she has a point.
- I Know You Know I Know: After getting Gendo locked down, Fuyutsuki got promoted to Commander and abandoned the scenario. SEELE knows this. He knows they know. And they know he knows they know. Still during the meetings everyone pretend they are completely unaware of each side’s thoughts and intentions. At least all agree those meetings are a boring waste of time.
- I Miss Mom: Asuka often dreams about her missing mom (one of those times happening in chapter 2). Later she tells Shinji about her mother and how much she misses her.
- I Resemble That Remark!: In chapter 7, Shinji gets shot down by an Angel and Asuka goes ballistic:Asuka:"Wondergirl! Move faster!!! DO SOMETHING, DAMMIT!!!!!!!"
Misato:"Calm down, Asuka!"
Asuka:"I'M CALM!!! THAT'S OBVIOUS, ISN'T IT!!?"
- Icy Blue Eyes: Asuka's eyes have this shade of blue.She looked in his eyes, he looked back into hers, and he soon found himself hypnotized by their deep oceanic blue.
- Idiot Ball: Sigh. Shinji. Your own unborn daughter is warning you telepathically about your father's plans and asking you being strong and being there for Asuka and her. And what do you do? Losing your nerve and breaking up.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex: In chapter 2 Misato tells Shinji about Asuka's past and her mother issues, and how her so-called arrogance is a mask to hide how fragile she is.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Shinji’s blue eyes are more limpid, more childlike. When Asuka sees what looks like a younger image of her self and notices she has Shinji’s blue eyes, she starts to realize it is Teri.
- Insult of Endearment: At some point “idiot” ceases being an insult and becomes a pet name:
- In the epilogue chapter:Asuka(happily):"A boat ride! My sweetie baka Shinji!"
- And in chapter 6:For Shinji, being called 'stupid' by Asuka was a compliment in itself.
- In the epilogue chapter:
- Interrupted Suicide: In chapter 5 Asuka tried to kill herself with a bottle of sleeping pills. Shinji found her and called Misato, and Asuka was hospitalized. As the meds were keeping her alive, Teri telepathically talked her to ensure that she did not Go Into the Light.
- Intertwined Fingers: Shinji and Asuka entwined their fingers shortly after their kiss during the Obon festival in chapter 5:Asuka takes one of Shinji's hands in her right one and clasps it so that their palms are against each other and their fingers weave together.
- It's All My Fault: In the epilogue that happens several years after the end of the story, Asuka blames herself forher daughter Teri having Psychic Powers, even though Teri has powers because Gendo altered her DNA. It is true Ritsuko prescribed her pills to nullify Gendo's modifications and Asuka blames herself because she stopped taking them, but the doctor never warmed her about the consequences.
- It's Not You, It's Me: After losing badly against an Angel, Shinji gets depressed because he thinks he is unable to protect Asuka and their child, ergo, he is unfit to be her boyfriend and Teri's father, so he breaks up, thinking she will find someone better and stronger. Asuka reacts as calmly as you would expect, and Misato and she spend an entire month trying to reason with him until Asuka had a long talk with him and they reconciled.
- Jerkass Façade: Asuka pretended to be mean to drive people away, so avoiding pain and getting hurt. After a while she realizes her behaviour is only hurting her more, so she drops the act gradually. When Touji gets shocked at her being nicer Shinji tells him that is her real self Beneath the Mask.
- Just Friends: At the beginning of the story Asuka insists she and Shinji are just friends, even if she describes Shinji as “one of my dearest friends” in chapter 2. Nobody believes her, though.
- Kick the Dog: Gendo drugged an underage girl to goad her into having sex and getting pregnant. Afterwards he altered her unborn kid’s DNA, even though it might kill her mother upon giving birth. His goal was creating a super-pilot, planning to use her as soon as she was born. Yes, he planned using a baby—who coincidentally was his granddaughter—to fight SEELE. And even after being told SEELE had been eliminated, he still proceeded with his plan, so that he does not even have that excuse.
- Kid Hero All Grown-Up: The epilogue and sequels happen several years after the War. Shinji and Asuka have grown up and got married, and they live mostly peacefully while raising their two children, although they have to pilot war mechas occasionally.
- The Kid with the Remote Control: In the final chapter Shinji learns why he and Asuka are the only ones can control their giant robots despite of being only kids –and him having no previous training-: their mothers’ souls got stuck inside them.
- Kissing Under the Influence:
- Misato and Kaji in a bar during the Obon festival in chapter 5 as they were drunk.
- It is not revealed until halfway through the story, but Asuka had sex with Shinji because she had unknowingly been drugged with hormone-booters stimulated her sex drive.
- The Lad-ette: Misato, who is not particularly feminine but is loud, likes driving fast and drinking a lot (as she proved in Asuka’s birthday party).
- Leeroy Jenkins: In chapter 7 Asuka gets to offer tactical advice during a battle. Unfortunately she tended to rush into an unknown situation and losing her temper. Fortunately, when she calmed down she came up with a good strategy.Asuka:"Why not rush towards that damn Angel?!"
Misato:"Do you know the meaning of the word 'caution'?"
- Let's Wait a While: Variant. Shinji and Asuka got a one-night stand. As a result of it Asuka got pregnant and their relationship almost got destroyed. After reconciling Asuka said they were not having sex until Teri’s birth at the very least and they had to be very careful from now on. Shinji agreed.
- Lighter and Softer: Although this story got pretty dark sometimes, it is definitely and unapologetically waffier than the original series. Shinji and Asuka have a daughter, which pushes to try to figure their relationship out, Gendo gets jailed, and Third Impact never happens.
- Like an Old Married Couple: According Touji, Shinji and Asuka not even are married and already behave like a married couple:Asuka:"Shinji! Listen to me, dummkopf!"
Shinji (surprised):"What is it, Asuka?"
Asuka:"Hikari told me about AXL's Game Center! It sounds fun! I want you to take me there, okay?"
Shinji:"I don't know if..."
Asuka:"Stop being so hesitant! You're getting on my nerves!"
Toji (to Shinji):"Not yet married, and she's already henpecking you..."
- Living Emotional Crutch: Asuka drove everyone away to not get hurt again, but she desperately waited for someone seeing past the harsh shell and pushing past her emotional barriers. When she met Shinji and they got together she felt she had finally found someone she could trust and love. Though she also became very dependant on him, and during the month he broke up with her she was tearing herself apart because she needed him desperately.
- Love at First Sight: In the epilogue Shinji tells he should have told Asuka “I love you” as soon as they met for first time in the aircraft carrier.
- Love Confession: Asuka to Shinji in chapter 5 after watching fireworks and kissing.
- Love Epiphany: In chapter 5, after her birthday party Asuka goes to Shinji's room as he is sleeping, grumbling because he has not give her any present. By chance she finds the present Shinji meant to give her but did not dare to: a ring. Blushing she puts it around her finger, pecks her cheek... and then she realizes she loves him.
- Love Hurts:
- Shinji fell in with Asuka. When she treated him rudely to push him away or claimed wanting nothing with him, not even after getting pregnant with his child, or got hurt, it hurt him. Especially if she got hurt.
- Asuka did not want love anyone because she had been hurt by people she loved. She did not want to admit she loved Shinji because she was afraid of getting hurt again. Later she opened up to him. However he broke up with her for a while because he thought he was not strong enough to protect her and their child. As a result she got hurt and furious because she had trusted her and he left her.
- Both of them argued the subject here:Asuka:"I-I mean...you're speaking with confidence...you're so shy, usually. I think I'm like this because I trust you and I feel that I can put my trust in you. You're like a confidante."
Shinji:"I...it's the same for me. We've got a lot in common, don't we?"
Asuka:"You try to avoid pain by running away from people. I try to avoid pain by driving them away. But in the end, we just hurt ourselves more. Aren't we pathetic, Shin-chan?"
It sounds more like a statement than a question. Shinji can't help but be surprised by this sudden truth coming from the mouth of the girl he normally knew to try to avoid it. Somehow, the suicide attempt, as bad as it was, seemed to have turned Asuka into a more mature person.
Shinji:"You're right, Asuka-chan. It's kind of like...we're hiding ourselves from the pain behind a shield."
Asuka:"But we just feel more and more pain."
Shinji (nodding):"Yeah...you're right, we are pathetic."
- And later Misato offered her input:Misato:"You're not alone, Asuka...I'm here, we're all here for you. You know that...and, yes, this is love. With all the happiness and sadness it can bring to you. Love is like a double-edged sword. One day it can make you the happiest person on earth, and the next day, it can make you cry like you never did before."
- Love Interest: Asuka and Shinji to each other.
- Lovely Angels: Asuka and Rei were war mecha pilots and teammates, but due to Asuka being pregnant for most of the history they did not fight a lot together. Still they coordinated their attacks to fight an Eldritch Abomination in chapter 3, Asuka came up with a strategy to fight their enemy in chapter 7 and Rei followed it, and in the sequel they fought together like Arael and Armisael.
- Love Revelation Epiphany:
- In chapter 2 Hikari tells Shinji Asuka really likes him, but Shinji does not dare to believe her.
- In chapter 5 Misato yells Asuka Shinji loves her until she gets the message through her head.
- Love Triangle: Shinji liked Asuka but he was too afraid of being rejected to confess, Asuka liked Shinji but she was too afraid of being rejected to admit it to herself, and Rei liked Shinji and she was jealous, but she did not want to interfere. After a while Shinji and Asuka got together, and Rei made Asuka jealous until Rei explained she did not intend to take Shinji away her.
- Luminescent Blush: During a conversation with Rei in chapter 1, Shinji blushes when she mentions what he and Asuka did and when he asks her if she is jealous.Shinji could feel a light blush spread across his face.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places:
Asuka:"There's nothing to understand, Misato. And you're hardly the one to lecture me, you hypocrite. I saw you doing that with Kaji last month..."
- In chapter 1 Asuka tells Misato she saw her and Kaji having sex in the park.
Misato:"YOU SAW US!?! WHEN?! WHERE?"
Asuka:"When, I don't remember exactly...but WHERE...oh, you were probably getting excited doing that in the park...where everyone could see you."
- Shinji and Asuka’s first time was in Misato’s apartment’s living room. They did it on the floor and on the couch.
- Mama Bear:
- After the first few weeks her baby’s welfare becomes everything for Asuka. Hurt Teri and Asuka will hurt you.
- Rei is an Auntie Bear. Don't even think of harming the Ikari-kun's baby. She is scary as Gendo found out.
- In a Dream Sequence Yui assured her son she would protect him and his family. When Asuka gave birth in Unit 01 Yui ensured that both she and her baby survived.Yui:"I am part of you, too. I won't let him hurt you or the mother of your child. I promise. If anything happens to you or your love, I promise you that he'll regret it."
- When Misato learnt about Gendo’s scheme she was perfectly willing to march in Gendo’s office and put a bullet in his head to protect her wards and their daughter.
- The Man Behind the Man: SEELE were the group was behind Gendo the whole time. Kaji tried to wipe them out, but they returned in the sequel.
- Mandatory Motherhood: When Shinji gets Asuka pregnant they have the baby even though they’re socially inept teenagers—and Asuka never wanted to become a mother—because they don’t want their child to go through the same pain that they did.
- The Matchmaker: Misato is very driven to see Shinji and Asuka getting together and she devises many plans to make them getting closer to each other.
- Meaningful Name: The writer’s online nickname was “Axel Terizaki”. He chose naming Shinji and Asuka’s children Teri and Axel in his story. Later he thought it was a silly idea and ret-conned their son’s name.
- Mecha Show: This is mainly a romance story, but the giant robots and sci-fi battles are still an important part of it.
- Meet the In-Laws: In the sequel, Asuka talked Shinji into meeting her parents while they were talking about their future wedding. Shinji wasn't really keen on it (her parents had abused her as much as his father abused him), but she convinced him.
- Men Don't Cry: In chapter 2 Shinji is sobbing, and Misato tries to calm him down telling he is a boy and boys should not cry:Misato:"Aha! I knew it! I always knew it!!! My two sweetest roommates in love...and dry those tears, Shinji. You're a boy, aren't you?"
- Mind-Control Eyes: In the final chapter Asuka’s eyes are blank as Gendo is controlling her.Her eyes appear to be empty of all life, suggesting that she's either sleepwalking, or...possessed by something...or someone.
- Mind Rape: In chapter 3 of the sequel Arael strikes. It taunts Asuka with visions of her attempted suicide and nightmares where Shinji loses his nerve and leaves her before forcing her to relive her mother’s suicide again.
- Missing Mom: In chapter 2 Shinji convince Misato to tell him why Asuka dreams about her mother. Misato tells him about Kyoko, her madness, her suicide… how she hang a doll she thought was Asuka together with her… and Shinji feels he can understand her at last because he also lost his mother.
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal: Sigh. Gendo You used drugs to drive a thirteen-years-old girl to have sex with someone, planning using her freaking baby, who coincidentally is your granddaughter, as a war weapon. Were you seriously shocked when everyone turned against you?
- Moe Couplet: Rei and Teri. Teri helped her find her emotions and rebel against Gendo, and Rei calmed Teri down when her niece went hyper.
- Moment Killer: In chapter 9 Shinji and Asuka are cuddling and kissing… and then the doorbell rings, interrupting them and ruining the mood.
- Morning Sickness: Subverted. Asuka suffered from morning sickness, but the readers learnt from her pregnancy before seeing her sick. Likewise she was constantly sick and throwing up for most of her pregnancy, but it was a hint something wrong was happening to her and her baby.
- Mythology Gag:
- In the preview for chapter 2, Misato promises fanservice.
- In chapter 2 Hikari asks Shinji giving a stack of printouts to Asuka right like she asked Touji giving a heap of printouts to Rei in canon.
- In chapter 4 Kaji gives Misato a variant of his old line: "May I trust your hormones or your words?"
- Negative Space Wedgie: In chapter 3 attacked an Angel that resembled a kind of enormous feather with a sphere on top of it, impossibly thin and yet incredibly heavy.
- Nightmare Sequence: In chapter 3 Asuka is having a nightmare in which her mother’s disembodied voice tells her dying.
- Noodle Incident: In chapter 4 Kaji returns from a trip across France. Misato reacts angrily when she sees him, and he asks "Why don't you treat me like you did one week before my trip, huh?". Misato ordered him shutting up and refused to talk about whatever they did.
- No Romantic Resolution:
- To Rei and Takuma, a character showed up in the sequel. Although the story hinted he had feelings towards Rei, he never shows up in stories set years in the future, and neither Rei nor other characters mention him. Since the sequel never got finished, it is unknown whether they got together or not.
- Hikari and Touji. In “Gifts” (sets fourteen years later) Asuka says she has not talked to Hikari in years and she does not know whether she and Touji are together or not.
- No Social Skills: While they open up during the Obon festival, Asuka and Shinji talk about how she pushes people away and Shinji runs away from them because they are two lonely kids, frightened of getting hurt by other people.
- Not So Different:
- In chapter 5 Ritsuko unthinkingly compares Asuka with her mother when she mentions Asuka almost did the same thing than Kyoko:killing herself and taking her daughter with her.
- In that same chapter Shinji and Asuka open up and talk and realize they have more things in common than they thought:Asuka:"I-I mean...you're speaking with confidence...you're so shy, usually. I think I'm like this because I trust you and I feel that I can put my trust in you. You're like a confidante."
Shinji:"I...it's the same for me. We've got a lot in common, don't we?"
Asuka:"You try to avoid pain by running away from people. I try to avoid pain by driving them away. But in the end, we just hurt ourselves more. Aren't we pathetic, Shin-chan?"
- Later Shinji fears he will become other Gendo because he realizes he is not so different of his father.
- Not Worth Killing: In chapter eight’s omake, the author thinks that Asuka is going to kill him after he used the words “time of the month” to describe her mood. However Asuka says that he isn’t worth it… before kicking his groin.
- Oblivious to Love: In chapter 2 Hikari realizes what Shinji has no idea what Asuka likes him, and his obliviousness surprises her:Hikari:"Oh, don't tell me you don't know at all...I know she likes you very much."
- Official Couple: Shinji and Asuka.
- Official Kiss: In chapter 5, Shinji and Asuka kissed right before getting together.
- Oh, Crap!: In the end of chapter 5 this was Asuka's reaction when she realized Shinji was really in her bed (she thought she was dreaming when she woke up)... and Shinji's reaction when he realized Asuka had woken up.
- Old Flame: Misato and Kaji got back together in the Obon Festival when she admitted that she never got over him.
- Omnidisciplinary Scientist: Ritsuko is capable to build and maintain bio-mechanical giant robots, cloning ancient alien life seeds, managing a super-computer… and is a physician, too.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business:
- After her initial –and very angry and volatile reaction-, after coming to terms with the idea of becoming a mother, Asuka starts displaying a mellower, kinder attitude gradually. It disconcerted Shinji, Misato and even Rei.Misato and Shinji are completely amazed by their roommate's bizarrely calm (for her) behaviour. As usual, the First Child could think of nothing to say.
- In chapter 2 Maya is surprised and amused when Ritsuko tells her that Misato is panicking.
- In chapter 4 Asuka woke up early, tied her hair behind her back, put an apron on and made breakfast. Shinji and Misato were left speechless.Shinji (seeing Asuka cooking):"Gulp..."
Asuka (frowning at him):"Hey! I CAN cook sometimes!"
Asuka:"Oh, stop that! I have the right to dress any way I want and to tie my hair so you won't be hurt by its divine beauty!"
Misato:"It's just...so unusual..."
- In chapter 4 Asuka tries to be nice to Touji and Kensuke. They can not believe it.She then smiles warmly and bows to them. Toji and Kensuke are floored yet again. To see such a display of politeness from the most arrogant girl they've ever known, who couldn't let a day pass without calling them some insulting name or other...they're on the verge of fainting.
- In chapter 6 Asuka gives Shinji a chocolate box stating it was a Japanese tradition… something she usually does not care about at all. Shinji gets shocked.Shinji (surprised):"You...? Obeying something? Let alone a tradition? You must be feverish!"
- After her initial –and very angry and volatile reaction-, after coming to terms with the idea of becoming a mother, Asuka starts displaying a mellower, kinder attitude gradually. It disconcerted Shinji, Misato and even Rei.
- Orphan's Ordeal: In chapter 5, during the Obon Festival, Shinji and Asuka talk about their mothers deaths. Shinji says he shut himself up because he was frightened of other people, and Asuka explains that she pushed people away because she didn’t want to get hurt again.
- Out-of-Character Moment: When Asuka stopped calling Shinji “stupid” Misato figured out something had happened between them.
- Original Character: Teri Ikari, one of the most popular Eva OCs.
- Panicky Expectant Father: During Asuka’s pregnancy Shinji is panicked about the fear of being a father, he is concerned about Asuka and their daughter’s health when the former delivers the latter, and he is frightened of disappointing them or being unable to protect them. Most of time he does his best to keep his panic in check, though. Most of time.
- Papa Wolf:
- Kaji tried—and almost managed—to destroy SEELE to talk Gendo into giving up his plans and so protecting his former ward Asuka and her daughter.
- Subverted with Shinji. He tries to be this but he often panics or loses his nerve and other characters Asuka, Teri, Misato… have to help him to man up.Misato: "You're supposed to be a man now. ACT like a man! Come with me, NOW!"
- Parental Abandonment: Shinji and Asuka were abandoned by their fathers shortly after their mothers’ death. After Teri’s birth Asuka is willing to try some sort of reconciliation with her family, but Shinji no longer acknowledges his father.Shinji (in an exceptional moment of openness):"When I was four, I was abandoned by my father. Not that I ever saw him that often even when Mother was alive...but...I can still feel the pain, Asuka. The loneliness...being rejected like that. I don't want my daughter to ever feel the same way. Not if I can make sure it doesn't happen. If you'll allow me to be there..."
- Parental Hypocrisy: When Misato lectures her about having sex Asuka calls her a hypocrite because she has sex with Kaji. Asuka misses the point, though, since Misato’s lecture was about her being underage and having unprotected sex because she was bored (or so they thought at the time).
- Parental Substitute: A while after Asuka got ditched by her father and step-mother Misato became her guardian, and later Kaji. When Shinji arrived on Tokyo-3, Misato became his guardian and then she took Asuka in again. Both Misato and Kaji are the only reliable adult role models both teenagers have, and the only people really looked after them after their families abandoned them.
- People Jars: In the sequel Rei spends a while floating inside a cylindrical transparent tube, wondering whether she should terminate the remaining Yui clones—and finally becoming her own person—or leave them alone in case her current body gets destroyed in battle. Later the remaining clones appear, floating in their liquid-filled tank.
- Pervert Revenge Mode: The morning after the festival Asuka wakes up to find Shinji Ikari lying beside her on her bed. Before Shinji could explain his actions, her anti-perverts mode switched on and she raged on.
- Pitbull Dates Puppy: Asuka could be very abrasive and overbearing, especially at the early stages of her pregnancy when she was madder and more depressed, and Shinji was pretty meek and wimpy, but both were drawn to each other.
- Playing Sick: In chapter 6 Asuka does not want that Rei spends time with Shinji while they walk to the base, so she pretends to faint and fall sick again, hoping that Shinji stays in home with her.
- Please Don't Leave Me: This happened several times:
- In chapter 5 Asuka asks Shinji if he promises he will not leave her and their unborn child:Asuka (softly, in Shinji's ear):"Shinji?"
Shinji (softly, in Asuka's ear):"What is it?"
Asuka:"You'd never leave us, would you?"
Shinji: "I promise you, right here and now, that I'll NEVER leave you two..."
- In chapter 9 Shinji said this line to Asuka when he thought she was dying.Shinji (tears coming):"Stay with me, Asuka! Fight it! Stay alive! Please, don't leave me...!"
- In chapter 5 Misato asks Kaji if he promises not leaving her:Kaji:"Tssss...no....nothing on earth could make me leave you alone."
Misato:"Y-you won't l-leave me? You promise? Even if I'm a slut?"
Kaji:"No. You're wrong. I could never love a slut. And I love you, Mit-chan."
- In chapter 5 Asuka asks Shinji if he promises he will not leave her and their unborn child:
- Please Wake Up: In chapter 9 Shinji told those line to Asuka when he thought she had passed away.Shinji:"Wake up! Don't leave me! Don't..."
- Precision F-Strike: In chapter 2, Shinji notices it has been a long time since Asuka left the apartment to go to the bakery:Shinji (a bit alarmed):"It's been 45 minutes. Don't you think that's too long just to go buy some bread!?"
Misato:"OH, SHIT!!! ASUKA!!! I completely forgot about that!!!"
- Pregnant Badass: In an early chapter Asuka manages taking on an Angel and winning.
- The Promise:
- After getting together Shinji promises never leaving Asuka and their child if Asuka promises will not give up her life anymore.Asuka (softly, in Shinji's ear):"Shinji?"
Shinji (softly, in Asuka's ear):"What is it?"
Asuka:"You'd never leave us, would you?"
Shinji:"I promise you, right here and now, that I'll NEVER leave you two...on one condition."
Shinji:"You must promise me you won't give up your life anymore like you tried to a few days ago. You're the two most precious things I have on this earth. I can't afford to lose either one of you. You or Teri. So, please, don't ever do that again. I'm sorry if I was rude to you after that, but I really didn't know how to handle it. I mean..."
Asuka (smiling):"Don't worry. For Teri's sake, I won't do that again! Deal?"
Shinji (now smiling, too):"Deal."
- In chapter 6 she asks Shinji making an additional promise:Asuka:"Well, then, how about another promise?"
Shinji:"Hey! I'll have to write these all down on a piece of paper or I'll forget them all!"
The two burst out laughing.
Asuka (giggling):"May God protect us on the battlefield! Neither one of us is gonna die in battle, okay? For each other's sake! And for Teri's!"
Shinji (cheerfully):"Yeah! And I swear that I'll protect you if anything happens!"
Asuka (giggling):"And I'll do the same for you, too, I swear!"
Asuka:"Deal! Let's celebrate that with a drink!"
- After getting together Shinji promises never leaving Asuka and their child if Asuka promises will not give up her life anymore.
- Psychic Powers: Teri was genetically altered before birth to develop them. She has limited telepathy, telekinesis and can travel into people’s dreams.
- Red Is Heroic: Asuka wears a red uniform and rides a red war mecha. And when she is not piloting she usually also wears red.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Asuka is the Red Oni and Rei the Blue one. Shinji compares them in the first chapter, saying Asuka is fierce and loud whereas Rei is calm and quiet.
- Relationship Upgrade: In chapter 5 after Asuka’s attempted suicide they go to a festival, have a long talk and they at last got together.
- Retcon: A while after completing the fic the writer decided that naming Shinji and Asuka’s second child “Axel” was a dumb idea, and he retroactively renamed it “Hiroyuki”.
- Retired Badass: After the Angel War Shinji and Asuka retired from piloting and tried to lead normal lives.
- Reverse Mole: Kaji was a spy worked for at least three different sides: Gendo, SEELE and the Japanese Government. When it suited him, he turned on SEELE and then on Gendo.
- Rewrite: After completing the fic Axel decided rewriting it, abandoning the script format and adding a greater level of detail. The only rewritten chapter was very superior to the original. Unfortunately, it was not completed.
- Roaring Rampage of Rescue: Subverted. When Misato reveals Shinji his father has taken Asuka away, Shinji loses his nerve for a moment, wanting running away and pretending it was not happening. However Misato reminded him he was supposed to protect Asuka and not to run away, and he recovered his courage and joined the rescue party to storm the base, save Asuka and kick Gendo's butt.
- In chapter 3 shows up an Angel made up by the writer. It is based on Sahaquiel: it is an enormous, floating, heavy thing that plummets downward and tries to crush Tokyo-3 under its weight.
- In chapter 7 appears another originally created Angel. It is called “Megrael”, it looks like a winged Evangelion and it remained airborne while shooting light beams.
- Running Gag: Someone screaming "She's WHAT?"
- Sacred First Kiss: Shinji and Asuka’s First Kiss is not remembered fondly by neither. Asuka did not want to admit out-loud she wanted to kiss him out of fear to be rejected, so she claimed she was bored in case he did not like her back. Shinji liked her back but he really thought she was just bored, so he did not kiss her back, she thought he was not interested and ran off. So that when she said she was bored before trying to seduce him Shinji thought she wanted kissing again and he cringed.
- Sailor Earth: In the sequel, Takuma Satori, Fourth Child and pilot of Unit-04.
- Say My Name:
- In chapter 2 Shinji gets confused because Asuka called him “Shinji-kun” (in the proper series Asuka only called him “Shinji” twice: when she met him for first time and—quite interestingly—before their kiss).
- In chapter 5, after realizing Asuka is about to commit suicide:Shinji (realizing):"W-what did she just say...? She—no... ASUKA!!!!"
- Script Fic: It is written in this format. Later Axel decided to rewrite it ditching the script format, but he did not go past the first chapter.
- Secret Keeper: At the beginning very few people knows Asuka is pregnant (Shinji, Misato, Rei, Ritsuko, Gendo, Fuyutsuki, Hikari) and they keep it secret.
- Secret Relationship: After getting together Shinji and Asuka try to keep their relationship secret for a while. However they did not fool Misato for a minute and they stopped pretending after a couple of months.Shinji and Asuka shared their feelings for each other under the Obon Festival's fireworks. It seems that Misato and Kaji did the same, too. Even though Asuka now admits to herself and Shinji that she's in love with him, she tries not to tell anybody else, much to his surprise. Nevertheless, when they're alone, she's a totally different person...
Is she afraid of showing everybody how she feels for Shinji? Does she want to prove to Shinji that she loves him by giving him what she keeps from other people?
- Secret Secret-Keeper: After getting together Shinji and Asuka spent a while pretending they were still fighting. Misato knew what they were really doing but she pretended she was clueless.Asuka:"I...I don't know why I'm telling you all this...you don't know anything..."
Misato:"Do you think I'm blind, Asuka?"
Asuka (sobbing a little):"Huh?"
Misato:"Wait a minute here. My two roommates acting like lovers from one month to another...I'd have to be deaf and blind to not notice that. And I saw you two kissing in the car last week, remember? I bet that you forgot about the rear-view mirror. And what about the many times when I surprised you two? You were so embarrassed...and I also know that sometimes you've slept together in your bed. I'm not stupid, you know."
- She Cleans Up Nicely: In chapter 5 Asuka wears a kimono to go to the Obon festival. Shinji notices several times that she seems real cute in kimono.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Asuka several times insisted there was nothing between her and Shinji, he was just a friend and she was not his girlfriend and will definitely not be his wife. Nobody was convinced.
- In chapter 4:Kaji (in front of Asuka):"And why not talk about the future, Asuka? Or should I say Ikari Asuka Langley?"
Asuka turns a vivid shade of red while Shinji tries to hide himself under the table.
Asuka:"Kaji-san, please understand that there's nothing between me and stupid Shinji, okay?"
Everyone is grinning and staring at them, not really convinced by Asuka's words.
- In chapter 4:
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: As seen in the sequels, Shinji and Asuka tried to put so much distance as possible between them and NERV after the war for their and their daughter's sake. However the ordeals of the past still affects them, and they still are forced to deploy their giant robots every so often, despite of Shinji telling they are sick of killing people.
- Ship Tease:
- Tons of ship tease between Shinji and Asuka since the beginning since the story stars out when Shinji gets her pregnant. In the first chapters Shinji keeps watch over while she is sleeping, makes nice things for her... and Asuka tries to delude herself into thinking she is not drawn to him.
- A bit between Rei and Shinji when she admits that she is jealous of Asuka.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Asuka liked Shinji because he was kind, sensitive and honest, even when she was harsh or rude.Asuka:"Baka...you're so sensitive sometimes..."
Shinji wipes his tears with the handkerchief. She kisses his cheek. He blushes.
Asuka (smiling):"I like you because of that. You're always honest with me, even when I'm mean to you..."
- Sleep Cute: In chapter 9, Shinji and Asuka are sleeping together, wearing pajamas and snuggled up under their bed's covers.Misato's apartment, at the same time. A room. A bed. Two teens are tucked under the sheets, wearing pajamas, sleeping peacefully in each other's arms. One of the two awakens.
- Sorkin Relationship Moment: In chapter 5 Misato is fed up with Shinji and Asuka’s arguing and being at odds with each other, so she angrily tells them that they’ll go to the Obon Festival, they’ll have fun together, they’ll make up and they’ll stop behaving like idiots… or else.
- Sour Outside, Sad Inside: Asuka’s rage and viciousness is nothing but a shield she uses to hide her pain and push everyone away because she is frightened of them. If she is being real mad and rude it is a sign that she is breaking down.Hikari:"You know how she is. Always so arrogant and strong. But deep inside she's one of the most fragile people I know."
- Spanner in the Works: Gendo thought he had planned for any contingence but he did not foresee his son's involvement. Shinji sleeping with Asuka forced him to modify his plans and it ensured that Yui would want to protect his son’s family and Rei would get involved in ways Gendo would not like.Fuyutsuki:"But you said that this project was 100% planned, right?"
Gendo:"There was only one mistake on my part. I won't let that happen again."
Fuyutsuki:"You mean...your son?"
Gendo:"Yes. I didn't think that the Second Child would use the Third to 'satisfy' her boosted hormones...this was a big mistake, and may result in complications."
** In chapter 9 Fuyutsuki warned him that he had not accounted for everyone and someone would stop him, but Gendo did not listen. Cue Rei interfering. And then Yui.Fuyutsuki:"I think you're forgetting about someone. Someone who won't forgive you for this, Rokubungi Gendo..."
- The Stations of the Canon: Despite of—or maybe because—being one of the first major Eva fics, it plays with the timeline very loosely. The story starts out some while after Shinji and Asuka's Sacred First Kiss. However it introduces two new Angels after Ireul. The sequel ignores possibly—Leliel, Bardiel and Zeruel entirely and skips straight to Arael. Touji never becomes the Fourth Children and Unit-03 never shows up.
- It is generally accepted among fandom that Sachiel attacked in June 2015 and Third Impact happened at the start of 2016. This fic pushes the timeline forward, and this history's events happen from August 2016 to May 2017.
- The Stinger: After the author’s closing words in the final chapter there is a short extra scene: Shinji and Asuka’s wedding.
- Super Soldier: Gendo's genetic manipulation was meant to turn Teri into this. It sort of worked out, and she developed psychic powers.
- Take My Hand: In chapter 7 Shinji gets knocked out and Teri’s spirit visits his dreams and tells him giving her his hand to bring him back to the real world.Teri:"Enough said...come on, Otousan. Give me your hand. I'll bring you back to the real world."
Shinji complies. When he takes his little girl's hand, a warm feeling spreads all over his body...he then wakes up in a hospital room.
- Taking You with Me: In chapter 3 after being defeated by the three Evas, an Angel explodes trying to destroy them before dying. It does not work.
- The Talk: During their argument in chapter 1 Misato thinks—somewhat belatedly—of having “The Talk” with Asuka:Misato: Asuka... forgive me. I want to talk with you calmly... woman to woman... do you understand? I need to talk with you about... uhh... bees and flowers... ummm—
- Talking Down the Suicidal: In chapter 5 Asuka swallows a bunch of sleeping pills. Shinji tries to talk her out of it but he reaches her too late to stop her. Later as she sleeps she dreams with reuniting with her deceased mother, but Teri visits her dreams and stops Asuka, reminding her that she needs her.Shinji:"ASUKA! OPEN THE DOOR!!! PLEASE! DON'T DO THIS!!!! PLEASE! I...I..." (his voice trails off:) "...I'm sorry. Really. If you want to talk to someone, I'm here. I know how you feel...OPEN THE DAMN DOOR!"
- Talking in Bed: In chapter 9 Shinji and Asuka talk about their inminent parenthood and the future of their relationship. Asuka also tells Shinji she is at last sure she truly loves him.
- Tears of Joy: Misato sheds them when she hears Teri crying, confirming Asuka has given birth and both mother and daughter are alive.Misato, hearing Teri, goes limp and slowly drops to the floor. Tears of joy start running down her face.
- Teen Pregnancy: Asuka gets pregnant when she is just fourteen and the story narrates how she goes through her pregnancy and what complications it causes, and how her relationship with Shinji evolves…
- Tempting Fate: In chapter 2 Asuka is going to the bakery to buy some bread. Misato urges her to be careful and she replies: “Do you think anything's going to happen while I'm just going to the bakery?” She collapsed in the way back due to exhaustion and lack of sleep.
- Tender Tears: In chapter 4 Asuka cries when she finds Shinji’s birthday gift: an engagement ring.
- Test Kiss: Asuka kissed Shinji for first time claiming she was bored and wanted to practice (in reality she wanted to kiss him but she did not dare to say it plaintively out of fear of being rejected, so she pretended she was bored). When she said she was bored Shinji thought she wanted to practice kissing again, and he was shocked when she said she wanted to have sex.
- That Didn't Happen:
- After sleeping with Shinji, Asuka wanted to pretend nothing had happened between them. Obviously it did not work.
- One week before leaving for France Kaji and Misato slept together. Misato claims she was drunk and wants to pretend it did not happen. No, it did not work out very well either.
- That Was Not a Dream: The morning after the festival Asuka opens her eyes, sees Shinji lying in on front of her in her bed and thinks it is a wet dream. She hugs him tightly… and he complains he can not breathe. Then she realizes it is NOT a dream.
- Their First Time: The whole story happens because Shinji and Asuka had sex for first time, but since they were not ready yet it soured their relationship for a while.
- They Do: Asuka and Shinji got married two years and one half after Teri’s birth and five years before the epilogue.
- Took a Level in Badass: Due to Gendo messing up with her unborn's daughter DNA, Asuka became fiercer and more dangerous when she fought. She single-handedly held back and pushed away a giant moster who almost crushed both Shinji and Rei.
- Took a Level in Cheerfulness:
- After finding out she was pregnant, Asuka spent several weeks feeling angrier and more depressed than usual. After that time her mood changed again due to her physical shifts and she started to behave in a more joyful, cheerier fashion.
- Shinji also became happier after Asuka and him got together.
- Took a Level in Idealism: As she goes through her pregnancy Asuka finds out she is not alone and she does not need to drive everyone away because there is people loves her.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: The more hurt and more distraught Asuka feels the harsher her temper gets and the harder she tries to push everyone away. After finding out she got pregnant she was shattered, so her behaviour became very angry, rude and overbearing, especially to Shinji whom she tried to push away as hard as she could precisely because he was the one could get through her.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Due to the changes she undergoes through her pregnancy, Asuka's behaviour becomes softer. After hooking up with Shinji she is way nicer to him, at the beginning privately but later openly. When Touji muses Asuka is nicer than she used to, Shinji replies that is the real Asuka and the mean girl was a façade.
- Tranquil Fury: When Rei gets pissed off she does not yell or threatens. Not at all. She states her intentions quietly and then crushes you.
- Troubled Fetal Position: Asuka often feels sick or distraught throughout her pregnancy, and several times she uses this position.
- In chapter 3 an Angel is attacking and Asuka is feeling worried and sick. Misato finds her curled up in her bed, trembling, sweating and grimacing.
- In chapter 8 she is depressed and hurt because Shinji has broken up (momentarily) with her. When Misato returns home she finds her curled up on her bed, looking to the wall.Misato walks in and shuts the door behind her. She sees Asuka curled up on her bed, facing the wall.
- True Love Is Exceptional: In chapter 1 Shinji thinks it is curious he is more drawn to a girl as hot-heated as Asuka rather someone more tranquil like Rei.
- Tsundere: Due to their parents leaving her and her mother dying, Asuka dons a mask of harshness and arrogance to push people away so that they don’t hurt her. She likes Shinji but precisely for this (and because she doesn’t think he likes her back) she pushes him away harder, even though he is the only person can understand her. At the beginning of the story she pushes him away harder because she is afraid of him, but her pregnancy gradually brings her softer side out.Asuka:"You're really an idiot sometimes, but when you want, you can be a really good friend..." (grinning now:) "...and a great lover."
Shinji (grinning):"You too. Sometimes you can be a real pain, and then suddenly, you're so nice..."
- Turn Out Like His Father: Inverted during a Dream Sequence where a frightened and despaired Shinji cries out that he will turn out like his father because they are just too alike, and his mother reassures him that he will not be like Gendo when he grows up.
- Unbroken Vigil:
- When Asuka collapses in chapter 2 Shinji remains by her side the whole time examining her.
- In chapter 6 Rei and Shinji keep watch over her when she faints in Misato’s living room.
- In chapter 7 Shinji got knocked out during a battle and slept for two days. Asuka stood sleeping by his side, waiting for him waking up.
- Undying Loyalty: Shinji told Asuka he would never leave her or cheat on her and if he hurts her he will only hurt himself.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Shinji and Asuka "resolved" it before the start of the fic. Nonetheless this story shows why you should resolve your Belligerent Sexual Tension first.
- Unusual Euphemism: In chapter 5 Asuka makes breakfast, Misato tries it and tells it is one of the best breakfasts she has ever eaten and Asuka asks:
- Asuka:"Or...is it one of the first breakfasts you ever ate without Kaji's 'sauce'?"
- Valentine's Day Episodes: The sixth episode is a Valentine's Day chapter. Asuka tries to give Shinji some home-made chocolates on Valentine's Day without everybody noticing.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Misato and Ritsuko are old friends and poke and snark at each other constantly.Ritsuko:"He's examining her? What kind of 'examination' is he giving her now?"
Misato:"Cut that out! I'M SERIOUS HERE!!!"
Ritsuko:"Hmmm...is the Great Major Katsuragi losing her self-control?"
Ritsuko:"She gets upset too easily these days..."
- W.A.F.F.: This story has plenty of it and it is very unapologetic about it.
- Wedding Day: At the epilogue of the ninth chapter, Shinji and Asuka got married.
- What the Hell, Hero?:
- From Misato to Asuka after the latter attempt to commit suicide.
- Teri also chewed Asuka out in that chapter via telepathy.
- From Asuka to Shinji when he broke up with her for a while.
- A minor, humorous example when Shinji complains Asuka has gotten heavier, she replies it is Teri’s fault and he asks whether she is seriously blaming their unborn daughter who can’t speak in her behalf.
- What If?: This story is an Alternate Universe where Asuka had sex with Shinji and got pregnant.
- When She Smiles: Asuka’s smile was so beautiful when they got married after so many hardships that Shinji said he would never forget it.Shinji: "I will never forget that smile you gave me when you said 'I do' in front of the priest. And it may take my entire life to repay you for that smile, but I'll do it."
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: The epilogue is set seven years later the end of the story and shows what has happened to the Ikari family in the meantime.
- Will They or Won't They?: Shinji and Asuka loved each other but due to their multiple psychological issues did not dare to display openly their feelings. Then they slept together and Asuka got pregnant, which made their relationship harder for a while. In chapter 5, after several months of arguments and keeping an uneasy relationship, they got together.
- Willfully Weak: After her birth Teri always tries to hide her mental powers.
- With This Ring: Shinji bought an engagement ring to give Asuka during her birthday party. However he lost his nerve and tossed it in a trash bin. However Asuka found it.
- Yandere: Subverted. Rei is pretty jealous of Asuka but she is not mad with her and does not want to hate her. On the other hand Asuka is jealous of AND mad with Rei, thinking she wants to steal Shinji away. At the beginning she treats Rei hostilely… until she calms down and realizes she is just being irrational.
- You Are Not Alone: Shinji and Misato try to explain Asuka repeatedly that she is not alone and she doesn’t have to face pregnancy and motherhood alone. After several months their words get through her.
- In chapter 8 Asuka cries saying she is sick of being alone and she hates it… and Misato reassures her that she is not:Misato:"You're not alone, Asuka...I'm here, we're all here for you."
- In chapter 8 Asuka cries saying she is sick of being alone and she hates it… and Misato reassures her that she is not:
- You Didn't See That: In chapter 3 of the sequel while the pilots are changing Rei mentions Asuka has gotten fatter and her breasts bigger. Shinji tells the new kid he did not hear that, and Takuma answers “Hear what?”Asuka:"Well, someone messed up my measurements then! […] Ack! They got the chest measurement all wrong..."
Rei:"No, it is more likely that your breasts have enlarged, due to the fact that you are a mother and currently breast-feeding a baby. Since the plug suits were never designed for the possibility that one of its users might have gone through pregnancy. Furthermore, you might have gained body fat during that period. […] I believe your bra size has increased by at least 3 sizes."
Asuka:"What? […] Why you little! Just wait until you have kids! Then we'll see what happens to you!"
Shinji:"I think you should forget what you just heard about my Asuka,"
Takuma:"What...what? I didn't hear anything."
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Gendo planned to get Asuka killed after getting her to carry his scheme forward because he would have not use for her afterwards.
- In chapter 5:Gendo:"Each Child has one use and only one. The Second will soon be useless when everything is finished."
Fuyutsuki:"You mean...she'll be killed."
Gendo:"You know she's the only one capable of giving birth. And that's one of the reasons she has been designated as the Second Child. Her death is only a detail. I'm sure she'll be proud of her role in humankind's evolution."
- In chapter 5:
- You Make Me Sic: After meeting the managers of their favorite arcade game centre Shinji and Asuka try to pick some French sentences. Asuka does not get it quite right, though:Asuka:"C'est dur. Je fais beaucoup errr...d'efforts. Je remercie vous." [It is hard. I'm making many, errr...efforts. I you thank (I thank you).]
Guillaume (applauding):"Not bad! Except for the thanks. It's 'je vous remercie'. You just got the words the wrong way."
Asuka:"Damn! I'll never get it right!"
- You're Not My Father: After the events of the story Shinji calls his father out on everything he did to himself, Asuka and their daughter and tells him as far as he is concerned, he is a stranger. Several years later he still refuses to refer to Gendo as his father.
- You Shall Not Pass: Declared by Rei towards Gendo when she deploys her energy shield, slams him against the opposite wall and states he will not cross it.Rei:"Yes. This is the A.T. Field. The barrier of my soul. And you will not cross it. You will not hurt Ikari-kun's family."
Asuka(softly):"I wonder...what it's like to give birth?"