Mai: Who are you, anyway?This is a Japanese cultural trope. Whether they're a boy or a girl, a Japanese teen's first "adult" kiss on the lips is a momentous occasion. It is something to be built up to and shared with a very special person — something that is remembered for the rest of one's life. A spoiled or stolen first kiss is an occasion for profound angst and even anger. Consequently, in any anime plotline involving teen romance, the first kiss is an important milestone in the development of both self and relationship. This is mostly because, unlike most Western countries, where kissing is between moderately special and outright mundane, kissing is seen as an extraordinarily intimate act in Japan, almost comparable in intimacy to sex in the West. It is not done in public (anime characters who do kiss in public are either shameless, extremely daring, or Eaglelanders), and parents do not kiss where their children can see them. In effect, the first kiss is the harbinger of a teenager's entry into sexual maturity. Immature characters will be hesitant to even share drinks or do CPR on someone, for fear that this counts as an Indirect Kiss. This attitude does exist in the West to some degree, but it is not nearly as significant as it is in Japan, especially for boys. Western culture has the first kiss as a proud "rite of passage" and sometimes a cause for celebration even if it was with a complete stranger. See First Kiss, the parent trope, for more info. Compare Sex as Rite-of-Passage.
Mikoto: I'm Mikoto!
Mai: I know that! Ugh... how could I have given up my first kiss to this girl?
Mikoto: Fine! I'll give it back! [she kisses Mai]
Mai: No, wait! Mikoto...!
Mikoto: I'm Mikoto!
Mai: I know that! Ugh... how could I have given up my first kiss to this girl?
Mikoto: Fine! I'll give it back! [she kisses Mai]
Mai: No, wait! Mikoto...!
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Prison School Kiyoshi gets his first kiss stolen by Hana, who force kisses him solely for the purpose of denying him the opportunity to share his first kiss with his crush. Kiyoshi then turns it back on her by being so aggressive with his kiss that she eventually passes out.
- Ranma ˝:
- Ranma's first kiss is the occasion of great violence, as a self-absorbed playboy iceskater steals a kiss from girl-form Ranma. And when we say "violent", we mean 518 punches; by the time he's done, the skater in question is unconscious on his feet.
- Akane's first kiss was also 'taken' in a similarly crazy fashion, as Ranma kissed her after sitting on her lap while under the influence of Cat Fu.
- In another episode, to avoid it counting as a kiss, Ranma puts tape over Kunō's mouth. Later, Akane puts tape over Ranma's mouth.
- This may be why Ranma is unable to bring himself to kiss Shampoo to get the Instant Nanniichuan in the relevant story (or at least the anime version, which does not have the two making their so-called "date" hell on each other).
- The female-turned-male protagonist similarly has her first kiss stolen by a girl in Ultra Maniac. Gender-swapping unkissed would seem like a particularly bad idea if it ever was a good one.
- In Love Hina, Keitaro, Naru and Mutsumi all share mutual first kisses while stranded on an island. When an robot invention of Kaolla's goes on something of a... rampage... Motoko gets her first kiss. She doesn't take it well.
- The series even has an entire episode dedicated to Shinobu's first kiss.
- In The Vision of Escaflowne, Hitomi intends to invoke the trope by asking Amano-sempai to kiss her if she breaks her own record. She about to receive it when Van first appears and interrupts it. Later, Dornkirk's magic manipulates Allen Shezar, Van's rival, into kissing Hitomi; Dornkirk achieves this in part by having his minions Eria and Folken roleplay what may be their own first kiss, and backing them up with a certain "destiny change" machine.
- Played straight in the original manga of Revolutionary Girl Utena; the flirtatious Touga steals Utena's first kiss. In the anime, it's played with: Utena speculates that her first kiss might have been from Dios, but she isn't entirely sure when it happened, or if it's even him who did it.
- The first kiss between Yukino and Soichiro in Kare Kano is a milestone in their often-rocky relationship.
- On Naruto, Sakura and Ino vie for the affection for Sasuke, and both hope to give him his first kiss. Unfortunately for them, in the third episode Naruto gets knocked into Sasuke, and the two end up locking lips. Naruto and Sasuke are disgusted, and Ino and Sakura (and many of the other girls in class) are mad as hell.
- In a filler episode, a woman accused Naruto of having no experience in kissing. He felt admitting he kissed a guy would retain his dignity. Probably not the smartest thing he's done.
- In a post-episode omake in which Naruto and Lee debate which of them would be better for Sakura, Lee points out that Naruto gave his first kiss to Sasuke, and Naruto frantically tries to cover it up.
- An example of indirect first kiss: When Nina in Mai-Otome learns that her roommate Erstin administered CPR to her after a near-drowning, the excessively sexualized image of the "CPR" that flits through her mind (and her peeved expression) make it clear that she considers her first kiss lost.
- Likewise, Mai furiously insists to herself that CPR doesn't count as a first kiss after she delivers it to Mikoto. Shiho punches Yuuichi away as he's about to give Mikoto CPR, possibly because she doesn't want him to give Mikoto his First Kiss.
- Shizuru kisses Natsuki once while she's asleep, probably taking her first kiss. Near the end of their fight, Natsuki returns the kiss when Shizuru draws her close and embraces her.
- More on the topic of CPR: one of the episodes of Blue Seed is titled "Innocence! Love! My First Kiss?!". Guess what it was actually about. Momiji does initially reject the idea that this can count, but in the next episode decides that it was her first kiss — pretty much confirming that yes, she does have feelings for Kusanagi...
- Another CPR example: in Star Driver, Wako saves Takuto's life with CPR in the first episode. For once, none of the characters who witnessed it really consider it to have "counted" as a first kiss, but Sugata still takes the opportunity to tease Wako about it (Takuto, for his part, doesn't remember any of it).
- Alice is profoundly shocked when Rin spits his gum into her mouth in Please Save My Earth — it's her first kiss, and Rin is only eight. (Well, sort of.)
- Nozomi in Yes! Pretty Cure 5 likes to go on at length about how she envisions hers, usually involving snow and a Christmas tree.
- Most of the Kanon scenarios include one.
- Due to clumsiness on the part of Tamaki, Haruhi of Ouran High School Host Club gives up her first kiss to another girl; Haruhi is not nearly as fazed by this as Tamaki. Later, Benio is shocked to learn that someone else beat her to Haruhi's lips.
- In both the Tokyo Mew Mew anime and manga, Momomiya Ichigo accidentally receives her first kiss. In the manga she trips and inadvertently kisses her crush Masaya Aoyama. In the anime, this doesn't happen, so she reacts even more angrily when, later on, Quiche just flies in and kisses her without any warning.
- In the Girls Love series Kannazuki no Miko, the protagonist Himeko Kurusugawa believes to have received her first kiss from Souma Ougami but in reality, it's Chikane Himemiya who steals it while Himeko is unconscious in the first episode.
- Shakugan no Shana devotes a whole episode to explaining the "milestone" nature to its title character.
- This trope is taken so seriously for the main couple Shana and Yuji that while this series has incestuous deep kissing by Aizen's siblings as well as Margery's and Keisaku's kiss and implied sex scene, Yuji and Shana only kiss once in the last episode of the anime. Considering the episode mentioned above treats kissing as some sort of marriage proposal, it's no wonder.
- In Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl Hazumu and Yasuna share their first kiss, very much to the dismay of Tomari who happens to enter the room at that moment.
- Souichiro Nagi (Tenjho Tenge) has his first kiss "stolen" by Aya. He spends the rest of the anime pissed off and avoiding her.
- "First Kiss" is the title of the first episode of Blood+, and the event occurs when Haji, faced with Saya's understandable refusal to drink his blood, force-feeds it to her mouth-to-mouth in order to prompt her into an Unstoppable Rage. In a later episode, when asked if she has ever kissed a boy, Saya reflects back to this event, unsure if it counts but blushing all the same.
- In Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Jeanne/Maron's first kiss is stolen by her rival Kaitou Sinbad, who is her later love interest Chiaki in disguise.
- In Code Geass, the Student Council President Milly holds an impromptu school-wide contest: Anyone who manages to catch the cat running around campus will get a kiss from a Student Council member of their choice. Two of the girls on the student council, Shirley and Kallen, team up to try catch the cat, horrified by the thought that someone might steal their first kiss.
- In Mobile Suit Gundam 00, Setsuna F. Seiei has his first kiss stolen by the Yandere Nena Trinity but pushes her away violently in response. It doesn't help that Setsuna Hates Being Touched in the first place, and Nena has next to none concept of personal space.
- In Neon Genesis Evangelion, Asuka claims her first kiss from Shinji. Unfortunately, their personal issues ruined it (Asuka tried to pretend it was not a big deal in case Shinji rejected her; and how Shinji couldn't believe she returned his affection and she was pretending it was not a big deal, he did nothing, and Asuka believed he was rejecting her). Cue Asuka running to the bath to gargle so he did not notice she was crying, and Shinji feeling worse about himself.
- This was brought up again during the infamous Mind Rape scene. When Shinji came up in her head, she exclaimed "What are you doing there?! You won't do anything! You won't help me! You won't even hold me!" And it's shown that after their first kiss, she ran to the bathroom to gargle so she could hide her pain from him about his lack of warmth.
- Subversion: in Ashita no Nadja, Nadja Applefield is mad as Hell at the Black Rose Thief for kissing her... but this isn't her first kiss. That one was given to her by Francis who happens to be Black Rose's twin younger brother, but nobody knows it. She most likely was mad because Black Rose's kiss was a "Shut Up" Kiss and it came after a verbal spat; on the other hand, she and Francis kissed willingly and after a rather cute talk.
- This trope is used to save the world in Haruhi Suzumiya.
- In another short story, Kyon is offered the sleeping Mikuru's first kiss (not his, obviously) by her older self. It is left unclear whether he takes it or not, but he claims not to have.
- In the manga Penguin Revolution, Yukari's first kiss occurs by accident when she goes down a playground slide, collides with Ryo, and ends up lying on top of him, lip to lip. It's just as well, since within a few chapters another boy kisses her unexpectedly anyhow, but it gives her and Ryo both a number of uncomfortable moments all the same.
- Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka has Junichi, thinking he should act like a man, decide to lay one on Yuuhi, the girl he saved earlier. Yuuhi, being pure Kugimiya tsundere, promptly kicks the hell out of him. It's not until later that he finds out she was his fiancée. Awkward.
- In Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, Jean and Nadia's first kiss happens when the former is stoned by hallucinogenic mushrooms(!). Later, Nadia is angry at Jean after their second kiss because he can't remember their first. This reset-pressing moment only succeeds in making this "development" more like a cruel tease instead of a genuine development for either character.
- The spin-off Japanese-only Mega Drive game by Namco (which is a loose retelling of the show) handles this much better. There, it's treated as a genuine turning point in Jean and Nadia's friendship and there are no mushrooms involved. (Nadia also admits she loves Jean, which is something that never really happens in the show.)
- Episode 22 of Sailor Moon ("Romance Under The Moon! Usagi's First Kiss"). The nature of this kiss may be a controversial topic, but the scene is clearly supposed to be very romantic (and it actually is, if you are not thinking too hard). Of note, this episode belongs to the few ones that were directly based on the original manga, and later is adapted with slight modifications in Sailor Moon Crystal (instead of her passing out after getting accidentally drunk, she simply fell asleep after the fight of the episode)
- This is parodied in the Abridged Series:
Tuxedo Mask: Unconscious girls can't say no!
- A later episode revolves around Unazuki trying to save up her first kiss. When the monster of the day steals her pure heart, she tries to give it to Makoto....
- This is parodied in the Abridged Series:
- In Air Gear, Akito takes Ikki's first kiss, much to Ikki and his friends' horror.
- Make that his first three kisses.
- In Hyakko, Torako loses her first kiss to her best friend Suzume—which upsets her a lot, even though she said she'd like to give Suzume even ''more'' than that.
- Full Metal Panic!:
- Kaname Chidori's first kiss is stolen by Tessa's older brother Leonard, who ends up becoming the story's Big Bad. He gets a slap for his troubles and "promises" to forgive him only if he spares the life of the Mithril intelligence agent who's been watching over her. After Leonard leaves, Kaname breaks down, and for the next couple of novels hides this information from Sousuke out of shame.
- Interestingly, in Sousuke's case, he lost his first kiss long ago while performing CPR on men. Not, of course, that he even knows the difference between a kiss and CPR. "A Turkish soldier who took a bullet to the stomach, an old man from Tajyuku who was caught in an explosion. Some of them survived. Some of them didn't."
- The two of them share their real first kiss at the very end of the story, with several books' worth of build-up. Kaname promised they'd kiss the next time they saw each other, which was six months before; when they finally meet up (and there aren't extenuating circumstances), they're in front of their high school at graduation. She's initially embarassed at the idea of kissing in front of all her classmates, but Sousuke simply smiles and says "Not a problem." he classmates positively CHEER when they get their Big Damn Kiss.
- Mahou Sensei Negima! has several; as the kissing is required for completing a magical ritual, it was somewhat inevitable. Asuna in particular notes that her kiss with Negi "doesn't count" because it was done in and an emergency situation, and he's just a kid anyway.
- Negi has his first non-Pactio related kiss with Nodoka. He notes that it was...more enjoyable when compared to the other ones.
- It's also likely that that Konoka and Setsuna's Pactio was the first (real, romantic) kiss for both of them.
- After trying to avoid it for a good chapter or so, this is revealed to be the reason why Ku Fei was so reluctant to form a Pactio.
- In Fruits Basket, when Tohru gets out of the hospital, she and Kyo kiss. He then confesses that it wasn't their First Kiss; he had kissed her while she was unconscious. Strong reaction on her part. In Kyo's defense, he didn't know that she was unconscious at the time; she was semi-conscious just a few seconds before, and had even spoken to him rather clearly.
- Mikoto from School Rumble kissed a girl! Sorta.
- Miaka and Tamahome's first kiss in Fushigi Yuugi is one of the things that sets off Yui's Face–Heel Turn.
- In Hot Gimmick, Hatsumi's first kiss is with Ryoki, and she tries to convince herself that that didn't count, and that her first kiss is with Azusa.
- In Paradise Kiss, when Yukari and George's first kiss gets interrupted, he nonchalantly tells her that next time they will continue where they left it and he will "kill her with pleasure". Naturally, this being Paradise Kiss, they go from "first kiss on the lips" to "kinky bondage sex" in no time flat.
- In The Familiar of Zero, Louise is forced to complete the Ritual by kissing the totally clueless Saito.
- The first kiss between Kaoru and Aoi in Ai Yori Aoshi is all kinds of great.
- Nagasumi in My Bride Is a Mermaid has his first kiss with San's bodyguard, Masanote - from that point forward cliche anime love theme music plays over a close up of the bodyguard with a background of falling rose petals every time Nagasumi sees him.
- Mizore's first kiss in Rosario + Vampire is devastating to her, coming as part of an attempted rape. After Kurumu saves Mizore from her subsequent suicide attempt, she kisses Mizore again (as only a succubus can) to show her that "A kiss isn't so bad is it?".
- Nanoka's first kiss in Koi Kaze turns out a little ironically when she initiates a serious kiss with Koshiro and then she yells, "Aahhh! It's gone! My first kiss!"
- When the Gate — who looks like a young girl — forces Peorth, Urd, and Skuld to kiss her as part of her quest for knowledge, Skuld moans that she hadn't even kissed Sentaro (a mortal boy in whom she's shown significant interest) yet.
- Do you know how Lucia established how evil he was to Haru's group in Rave Master? He stole Elie's first kiss (probably). Elie was devastated, and Haru was pissed.
- In the Skip Beat! manga, it's made a big deal to Kyoko that she loses her first kiss (forcefully) to none other than Shou.
- In JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Dio steps up his torment of Jonathan by stealing the First Kiss from Erina, Jonathan's first love. She responds by washing her mouth out with muddy water to spite him.
- In Axis Powers Hetalia, Italy hugs and kisses his friend Japan on the cheek as a morning greeting. Japan, not used to such physical closeness, freaks out. ("Wha-what are you doing? That was my first time, you know!") Made even funnier in the anime where the kiss is left out, hence showing Japan spazzing out over a single hug.
- In the strip featuring Netherlands's visit to isolationist!Japan, Netherlands's pet bunny licks Japan's dog Pochi on the puppy cheek. Pochi reacts in exactly the same way as his master.
- MÄR: Snow and Ginta shared their first kiss when Snow was freed from the ice prison she'd encapsulated herself in, falling into Ginta, to be 'caught' by their lips. Since they're both 14 at the time, they both freak out as expected (and Ginta gets chewed out later by her guardian).
- The 'fall into a kiss' is repeated the second time Snow is freed, without the freaking out (though Ginta still gets chewed out for it).
- Earlier, Dorothy kisses Ginta on the cheek as thanks for helping to retrieve Bappo. He mentally apologizes to Koyuki, even though she isn't his girlfriend at this point.
- In Please Teacher!, Kusanagi falls into one of his periodic angst comas, and Mizuho kisses him while he's unconscious in an attempt to wake him up à la "Sleeping Beauty". When he wakes up and she tells him, he's upset because that was his first kiss—and she confesses that it was her first kiss too.
- It must be noted that it is not at all uncommon for one or both... participants in a given H-Manga to be more worried about the first kiss than their actual virginity.
- Martian Successor Nadesico plays with this: when offered a kiss as G-rated Intimate Healing, Yurika stops him with the explanation she's never been kissed; earlier, however, a flashback established she stole her first thirty kisses or so from Akito (who lampshades it).
- Futaba of There, Beyond the Beyond ruminates over giving away his first kiss in exchange for information, before he realizes that his actual first kiss was from his older brother.
- Given the Serious Business treatment (ominous music, freeze frame) in Hana Yori Dango after Domyoji kissed Tsukushi in the dark during a party. It's so exaggerated that everyone acts as if they just found out that Domyoji was a murderer or something.
- This comes up in Sasameki Koto when the protagonist's oblivious crush wants to practice on her for her first kiss. Apparently it doesn't count as a first kiss if you're wearing an Ultraman mask.
- Subverted in the Read or Die manga. When Nenene was facing a minor case of writer's block with a love scene she was writing, she sought inspiration by giving a rather forceful kiss to the first person to cross her path - Yomiko (all she had been looking for was an autograph). When Yomiko points out that that was her second kiss, Nenene replies that it was her first, and that compared to finishing the novel, it wasn't that important.
- In Kodomo no Omocha, Akito steals Sana's first kiss during a class trip. Of course (like everything else in Sana's life) this inspires a song.
- In Full Moon o Sagashite, Takuto spends a whole episode preventing Mitsuki from sharing this with a boy who just wants to embarrass her, and it turns out a dramatic wind knocks Mitsuki and Takuto into an implied accidental kiss.
- The manga has Takuto give an unconscious Mitsuki a kiss, thinking that she'll cry because it's her first kiss and then admits that it was just CPR. (She had sung too much and, due to her condition, had stopped breathing) It also later turns out that Eiichi kissed Mitsuki during his Anguished Declaration of Love when she was 10 and he was 16.
- Fujiko from Zettai Karen Children kisses the eponymous Children after she wakes up from her long slumber, which upsets the girls immensely. Especially Kaoru is not amused.
- In Dragon Half, during Mink's fight with Princess Vina, Mink is knocked into a building...and happens to fall on Dick Saucer, the pop star/dragon slayer they both have obsessive crushes on, accidentally kissing him. Needless to say, Princess Vina was pretty distraught and Saucer was just confused about the situation.
- Kind of Subverted in Vampire Knight. Yuuki and Kaname's first kiss wasn't especially pleasant, as the kiss scene depicted as quite forceful and Yuuki was struggling so break free (it's understandable reaction for a girl who wake up in that situation) But in the end turned out that... there is no first kiss to argue or fuss over, since Kaname fed Yuuki since she was little by mouth.
- Hekikai No AION:.
- Minagi got her first kiss stolen by the resident Lolicon. She starts crying saying that now she'll never could be a bride.
- Seine got her first kiss stolen in the same way by the same Lolicon. Since she was raised in America, she focused more on the sudden act instead of the kiss itself. Simon points out, while crying, that since she was a little girl, it dosen't count and Shizuki then points out that Simon was the real one hurt by that.
- In Upotte, Funco is taken aback when Sako takes her first kiss, saying that she had wanted to give it to the person who would register her (she's an anthropomorphized gun, so this is probably equivalent to marriage, or something). Sig is not at all pleased at this turn of events.
- Koharu No Hibi: Koharu gropes and kisses Mika in order to "regain" Akira's first kiss.
- In Kokoro Connect, Iori (in Inaba's body) and Taichi share their first kisses because they think she's about to die. Inaba is not at all amused when she finds out. She later gives him her first kiss (in her own body this time) of her own volition.
- Murasakiiro No Qualia has Hatou accusing Yukari of stealing her first kiss (which did happen). She quickly waves it off though, when Yukari takes the joke seriously.
- In Legend of Heavenly Sphere Shurato, we get a Rare Male Example. Idiot Hero Shurato passed out when he was transported to the Tenkuukai, and when he woke up he was being kissed by Naďve Everygirl Lakshu. He was appalled because, without knowing it, she took his first kiss.
- Prunella repeatedly refuses to kiss Bensiabel, even though she needs him to save her life, because of this trope.
- A Crown of Stars: Several characters explain Shinji what exactly went wrong when Asuka and he kissed for first time and how his inaction and obliviousness -as well as her pride and her fear to express her feelings openly- ruined their First Kiss and hurt Asuka so much that she ran to the bathroom to cry because she believed he did not care about her.
- Advice and Trust: Discussed. A random occurrence turns Asuka and Shinji's canonical Awkward Kiss into The Big Damn Kiss, which leads to their Relationship Upgrade. In chapter 5 they discuss what could have happened if Shinji had not accidentally placed his hands on Asuka's waist and both agree that their First Kiss would have been ruined, leaving them angry, upset and feeling worse than usual.
- The Child of Love: Shinji and Asuka’s First Kiss is not remembered fondly by neither. Asuka did not want to admit out-loud she wanted to kiss him out of fear to be rejected, so she claimed she was bored in case he did not like her back. Shinji liked her back but he really thought she was just bored, so he did not kiss her back, she thought he was not interested and ran off. So that when she said she was bored before trying to seduce him Shinji thought she wanted kissing again and he cringed.
- In The One I Love Is, Asuka (not entirely) jokingly accuses Shinji of completely ruining her first kiss. He agreed, feeling pretty guilty about it. In all hindsight, kissing her forcefully as she was teasing him, admitting he had kissed Rei before their date and then yelling it was nothing of her bussiness whom he kissed during their first date was probably not a good idea.
- In Suzumiya Haruhi no Seitenkan, this was a huge deal for Kyonko because just like Kyon, she had to give up hers to stop Haruki from destroying/rewriting the world. It's a bit more ... intense than the original novels.
- In The Hunger Games fanfic Some Semblance of Meaning, Vale thinks of her first kiss as a huge deal... and lashes out angrily at Obsidian when he kisses her for the first time without warning.
- In the Naruto/Fairy Tail fanfic Ninja Tail, Lucy and Shikamaru face off a deranged maniac by the name of Takeshi who desires to kill them. Lucy uses her summoning jutsu to summon various creatures to attack him, thus winning the fight. However, due to the required blood being used, Lucy is left feeling woozy afterwards, and she ends up tripping and kissing Shikamaru on the lips. But since Shikamaru was worried that his first kiss was going to be Choji, he's not complaining about it.
- Olivine Romance, a Pokémon fanfic: In Part 2, Jasmine runs Morty ragged with one herculean task after another, with the promise of giving him her first kiss as a reward. Morty correctly deduces that Jasmine is both testing him to see if he truly loves her, and trying to put off this relationship upgrade for as long as possible. He eventually perseveres and gets his kiss atop the light house only for Jasmine to break down into tears and admit it was not her first kiss. This is especially shocking as, up until that point, Jasmine had been depicted as an innocent, romance-averse prude.
Films — Live-Action
- Apparently this is how Napoleon feels about them in Mirror, Mirror, as he works hard to make sure Snow White's First Kiss is perfect, and takes no guff from the rest of the team about it.
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang: Caratacus' kids feel this way when observing his budding romance with Truly. "Once she kisses him, then she'll have to marry him!"
- In Skulduggery Pleasant, Valkyrie gets particularly upset about her first kiss. Not so much because of who it was with (some unseen character from her school) but because, due to a long story involving mirrors and magic, she wasn't there for it.
- In Thirteen Reasons Why, Hannah has a perfectly lovely and romantic first kiss with a boy she really likes... who then proceeds to spread rumors that they did far more than kiss, ruining the memory for Hannah and making everyone think she's a slut. This begins a chain of events that... doesn't end well.
- Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2 sets up an Accidental Kiss early in the game. If it happens with Hikami Itaru, he worries anxiously that the heroine has "lost something important," clearly with this trope in mind.
- Seiken Densetsu 3: You can have a scenario where Hawkeye kisses Lise, and she totally freaks out. While Westerners probably found that hilarious, Japanese players probably found that brazen, outrageous and shocking!
- Nameless: Protagonist Eri has her first kiss with one of her dolls, depending on whose route she is on. Special mention goes to Lance's route, where driven almost insane by jealousy that Eri will kiss Red during a schoolplay, he steals her first kiss and isn't very gentle about it.
- An Eerie Cuties strip has the "accidental kiss ruins it" version. Despite not being a Japan original, it'd likely make a fan not familiar with the anime trope say, "'My very precious first kiss?!' What's the big deal?" Though of course, a Western reader could easily chalk it up to the fact that it's Nina.
- The current page image comes from Shifters (before it was rebooted).
- In Sinfest, Crimney reacts strongly to having his hand held for the first time.
- In Nodwick, Piffany's first kiss is literally sacred, as it will convey a blessing that allows the kissee to rewrite reality to suit his wishes. In the final issue of the comic, she kisses Yeager, who uses the blessing to give the party a critically needed edge against the forces of Ba'aphumal.
- In Magience, Rune's Accidental Kiss with Tilly is her first, so she considers it meaningful.
Rune: My virgin lips!
- In Vaguely Recalling JoJo, Jonathan steals Erina's first kiss from Dio.
- In an episode of The Simpsons, Bart kissed Nikki, a half-Japanese girl; Nikki's reaction was this trope, remembering that this would always be her first kiss.
- Subverted in the Total Drama series, with Cody getting kissed by Sierra in "Niagara Brawls". He even vomited in the confessional afterwards.
- Brandy of Detentionaire is not very happy when her first kiss is Lee trying to shut her up so she doesn't accidentally give away his location. In Episode 50, Brandy gets to be on the other side, giving Camillio his first kiss for similar reasons. He spends the whole episode trying to get her to talk about it, which she finds kind of annoying since she's focused on getting them out of a perilous situation alive.