is a particular type of large, luxurious traditional Japanese inn. Ryokans typically feature tatami-matted rooms, sliding doors, a large central room for socializing, communal baths and a nearby hot spring. Everything about them is traditional, from the wood and rice paper architecture to the yukata they supply for their guests to wear. Most are family owned and feature traditional Japanese room service, sometimes with very exotic food. There is a good chance the inn is run by a really short
kind old lady. In works set in Japan, they are frequently featured in a Hot Springs Episode
or Beach Episode
. Common activities for guests include bathing, table tennis and visiting the local festival
For more information see The Other Wiki article linked here
Contrast Love Hotel
Anime and Manga
- Love Hina's Hinata house was an inn before it was converted into a girls dorm. Later gets converted back into an inn by Kanako to serve one guest.
- The characters stay at a Ryokan in Kyoto and one at a beach.
- In Mahou Sensei Negima! they also stay at a Ryokan in Kyoto and one at a beach. Word of God says they are the same locations.
- The Patlabor OAV "Versus" is centred around a Ryokan.
- Detective Conan has stayed at at least 10 of these and in every one there has been a murder.
- Hanasaku Iroha takes place in one with hot springs. It is focusing on its workers.
- Hanaukyō Maid Tai episode 7 "Promise at the Resort". Taro takes the maids to one of these places to enjoy the hot springs.
- Private Prince: "Miyako Sakuragawa is a graduate student at Eito University against the wishes of her family, who wants her to take over their Ryokan."
- Koko Wa Greenwood: Shun's family's owns a Ryokan"
- Skip Beat!: Sho's family runs a ryokan and his parents wanting him to inherit it with Kyoko is one of the reasons he runs away.
- Nana - Nobu in Nana is the heir of his family's Ryokan but he'd rather just play the guitar.
- Bartender - Miwa's family used to run an old-fashioned hotel chain before they modernized.
- Fruits Basket: The Sohma family owns one, which is run by Ritsu's mother. They visit it in the Hot Springs Episode.
- A suicide club in Paranoia Agent ends up here after several failed suicides attempts in the woods nearby. While they lie awake on their futons fantasizing about Shonen Bat killing them all right there, who should show up in the next room?
- In Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon, one of these inns becomes your home base during a chapter of the game. It's complete with a hot springs and a short old lady.
- Persona 3: The school trip to Kyoto has the students staying at one.
- In Persona 3 Portable, if you play as the girl and are in a sports club, you'll go to a training camp and stay at the Amagi inn seen in...
- Persona 4: Yukiko Amagi's family runs a famous one which she will take over soon.
- However the school trip subverts this by having the class stay at a Love Hotel instead.
- Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 features a retired lady wrestler who married into a family that runs such an inn and is trying to impress her mother-in-law.
- The Nancy Drew game Shadow at the Water's Edge is set in a ryokan that doubles as a Hell Hotel.