open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Love Hina's Hinata house was an inn before it was converted into a girls dorm. Later gets converted back into an inn by Kanako to serve one guest.
- The Patlabor OAV Versus is centred around a Ryokan.
- Detective Conan has stayed at at least 10 of these and in every one there has been a murder.
- Hanasaku Iroha takes place in one with hot springs. It is focusing on its workers.
- Hanaukyō Maid Tai episode 7 "Promise at the Resort". Taro takes the maids to one of these places to enjoy the hot springs.
- Private Prince: Miyako Sakuragawa is a graduate student at Eito University against the wishes of her family, who wants her to take over their Ryokan.
- Koko Wa Greenwood: Shun's family's owns a Ryokan
- Skip Beat!: Sho's family runs a ryokan and his parents wanting him to inherit it with Kyoko is one of the reasons he runs away.
- Nana - Nobu in Nana is the heir of his family's Ryokan but he'd rather just play the guitar.
- Bartender - Miwa's family used to run an old-fashioned hotel chain before they modernized.
- Fruits Basket: The Sohma family owns one, which is run by Ritsu's mother. They visit it in the Hot Springs Episode.
- Natsume's Book of Friends: Natsume stays at one while on the trip with his study group during which he met the young kitsune. He goes to another one later with Tanuma which Tanuma spent a lot of time at as a sickly child in order to attend a festival Tanuma never got to go to since he was always ill due to his reaction to the presence of youkai.
- A suicide club in Paranoia Agent ends up here after several failed suicides attempts in the woods nearby. While they lie awake on their futons fantasizing about Shonen Bat killing them all right there, who should show up in the next room?
- In Yuri!!! on Ice, Yuri Katsuki's family runs the last remaining one in the small Kyushu town of Hasetsu; there used to be more, but most of them closed down as the town's population dwindled. It's complete with hot springs and a short old lady (Yuri's mother, Hiroko) running it.
- Love Live! Sunshine!!: Chika Takami's family owns and lives in one.
- In Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon, one of these inns becomes your home base during a chapter of the game. It's complete with a hot springs and a short old lady.
- Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 features a retired lady wrestler who married into a family that runs such an inn and is trying to impress her mother-in-law.
- The Nancy Drew game Shadow at the Water's Edge is set in a ryokan that doubles as a Hell Hotel.