We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Exactly What It Says on the Tin
, this is what happens when a kiss ends up being incredibly awkward, rather than passionate or romantic or, well, anything it should be. Perhaps the participants are Better as Friends
and realize it just a few seconds too late. Or they're failing at a Fake-Out Make-Out
because it's just too weird
. Regardless, for one reason or another, it just doesn't work and tends to result in awkward reactions on the part of the characters, the audience, or (most often) both.
Likely to result in a moment of Let Us Never Speak of This Again
Compare Almost Kiss
, No Sparks
and Hollywood Kiss
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- The kiss between Shinji and Asuka in Neon Genesis Evangelion was very awkward, thanks to Asuka pinching Shinji's nose shut because his breath tickled while he was kissing her, leaving him unable to breathe.
- In Twenty Seven Dresses, Jane spends most of the movie with a crush on her boss. But when they finally do kiss...nope, no fireworks.
- In Mean Girls Janis and Damien have what would be an epic movie ending kiss in any other movie... Except here Damien is gay and Janis is a straight girl everyone thinks is a lesbian. The kiss ends up being a peck and the consensus from the two is "Ew. No."
- In The Princess Diaries Mia wants her first kiss to be an epic moment where her foot pops up like in old movies. Unfortunately, her foot gets stuck in fishing net on the floor of the shack they were hiding in, and she was with a Romantic False Lead. She gets her epic kiss once she realizes the right guy is her old friend.
- The sequel has one as well, when Mia and Andrew try to kiss to see if they have any romantic chemistry at all. Cue extremely uncomfortable liplock and the realization that they are definitely Better as Friends.
- Happens between Shaggy and Velma at the end of Scooby-Doo! Curse of the Lake Monster, in a Better as Friends example.
- In the first Back to the Future movie, Marty's teenage mother pounces on him and kisses him passionately, much to his horror. She pulls back almost immediately, commenting that it was "like kissing my brother."
- In The Proposal, Andrew and Margaret have one of these when his family insists on seeing a kiss. It quickly moves out of the "awkward" territory, to both parties' consternation.
- In Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Flint's first kiss with Sam, due to him not getting the hang of puckering his lips.
- In The Wizard, Corey gets Kiss Dissed by Haley after she says she'd never kiss a guy. Corey responds with "A girl, maybe?" She responds with an awkward Take-That Kiss.
- Clary of The Mortal Instruments has one of these with Sebastian, saying it felt just "wrong". Turns out that's because he's her real. demonic brother.
- Humorously, this seems to be the default mode for Harry Potter's Lavender and Ron, due to a comic combination of hormones, overeagerness, and a lack of genuine chemistry.
- After several seasons of denying Zaboo's advances on The Guild, Codex experiences an Unrequited Love Switcheroo. The two decide they are incompatible, but their guildies throw them in the bathroom to kiss just to make sure. It was "like cardboard." The two decide they are Better as Friends.
Zaboo: *several seconds after deciding to be just friends* Hey, remember that time we got thrown into the bathroom and we started making out and it was, like, hardcore? ...Too soon?
- In the Regular Show episode "Bad Kiss", Mordecai and Margaret's first kiss is cut short due to Mordecai's bad breath.
- Legend Of Korra:
- In episode "The Sting" Asami kisses Mako out of desperation after finding out Future Industries is more or less ruined long after their breakup. Mako reacts with shock and quickly tries to change the subject back to the matter at hand.
- In "Night of A Thousand Stars'' this happens between Mako and Korra. Korra had forgotten about there recent breakup due to amnesia, and the former didn't have have the heart to explain it to her.