Occurs in a Reaction Shot
. The character reacting to the outrageous whatever says nothing, but their eyes widen in a "these people are crazy" kind of way.
Compare Aside Glance
when directed at the fourth wall, Fascinating Eyebrow
when directed at the characters in question and Eye Pop
for surprised cartoon character's eyes. May make use of Eyedscreen
. Could be considered a subtrope of Facial Dialogue
. Sometimes related to Oh Crap
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Happens a lot in Foxtrot.
- This is the third-greatest standby of political cartoons, next to illuminating the topic with convenient newspapers and labeling every available surface whether it needs it or not. Strawman Political will give a proposal while an average Joe, or a member of the affected group (e.g. a child for school policy) looks on in goggle-eyed horror.
Live Action Television
- "The Franchise" Shane Douglas.
- In Fall 1997, "Ravishing" Rick Rude had been acting as an adviser to ECW World Heavyweight Champion Shane Douglas, specifically picking Douglas' challengers for him.note On the October 24, (taped October 16), 1997 episode of ECW Hardcore TV, Rude told Douglas that he had found him an opponent who had run roughshod over the WWF, over WCW, Japan and everywhere else that he had been. Guns N' Roses' "Welcome to the Jungle" hit, bringing out Douglas' Triple Threat stablemate "The Beast from the East" Bam Bam Bigelow, revealing that Rude had double-crossed Douglas. When the music hit, Douglas had a true Eye Take. Bigelow won the title, his only singles World Title, that night.
- Douglas called out Goldberg on the September 4, 2000 WCW Monday Nitro. As soon as Goldberg's music hit, Shane's eyes popped in a true Oh Crap/My God, What Have I Done? moment. Shane recruited the Natural Born Thrillers (Shawn Stasiak, Chuck Palumbo, Mike Sanders, Mark Jindrak, Sean O'Haire, Reno [Rick Cornell] and Johnny the Bull [John "Johnny Stamboli"/"Rellik" Hugger] doing a weak Ur Example of what The Nexus would be ten years later) to help him, and, even with 8 GUYS against him, Goldberg was still able to win the match.
- It is common for televised shows to cut to a close-up of audience members doing that during a particularly shocking moment.
- Transformers Animated: Done memorably in the premiere, when Optimus Prime learns◊ where little organics come from.
- Total Drama Island:
- Characters tend to this in response to Chris mentioning something particularly dangerous about a challenge.
- During the Aftermath segments of Total Drama Action after a particularly odd or unexpected moment (Eg- when a clip shows Trent sobbing hysterically and singing depressing heartbreak songs backstage) the camera would pan over to Noah and Cody either exchanging, '...Did we just see that?' glances or doing Eye Takes.
- In the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "Spike at Your Service", Rainbow makes a throwaway comment about Applejack's unfinished novel. As Rainbow continues talking about her own novel, Applejack's eyes are clearly saying "How does she know about that?!"