"...now hit the music."
Cut the music. What I'd like to have right now, is for all you fat, ugly, out-of-shape, internet geek, TV Troper sweathogs..... to keep the noise down, while I take my robe off, and give the ladies a good look at the sexiest man alive.
He was born Richard Erwin Rood, but he's far better known to fans of 1980s Professional Wrestling
as "Ravishing" Rick Rude
, the Sexiest Man Alive. Rude had a nearly two-decade career that spanned many different companies including the WWF (now WWE
. He is best remembered for his chiseled physique, his narcissistic Heel
persona, his feuds with Jake Roberts
and the Ultimate Warrior
, and his microphone skills. He's also remembered by fans of 1990s
wrestling for his post-Montreal Screwjob Take That
at the WWF, where he managed the rare feat of appearing on Monday Night Raw
and Monday Nitro
on the same night (Nitro
with his trademark mustache; Raw
an hour later with a full beard since it had been taped days earlier).
Rude passed away in 1999 from heart failure, but left a very influential legacy on later generations of wrestlers. You can read more about his career at That Other Wiki.
"What real sexy tropes are supposed to look like":
- Alliterative Name
- Arch-Enemy: Before the storyline was aborted, Jake Roberts. Rude's most remembered Arch-Enemy nowadays is the Ultimate Warrior, with whom Rude had a high-profile feud in 1989. They later main-evented at SummerSlam 1990.
- Badass: Had legit boxing and arm-wrestling credentials, and was very strong in Real Life.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: In 1997
- Badass Longrobe
- The Casanova
- Catch Phrase: "What I'd like right now is for all you fat out-of-shape sweathogs to keep the noise down while I take my robe off and show the ladies what a real man looks like. Now, hit the music."
- Censor Box: In a famous incident on Superstars, Rude wore tights with the face of Jake Roberts' (now ex) wife, Cheryl, on them. Jake responded by running out and ripping them off of Rude right in the middle of the ring. Rude was wearing a g-string underneath, but his entire groin area got the Censor Box treatment making it seem even more risque on TV.
- The Farmer And The Viper: To Shane Douglas in ECW in 1997, making this a rare case of a heel pulling this on another heel.
- The Fighting Narcissist
- Finishing Move: A modified neckbreaker dubbed the Rude Awakening.
- Game-Breaking Injury: Suffered a neck injury right before WCW Starrcade 92, where he was scheduled to challenge, and, most likely, defeat Ron Simmons for the WCW World Heavyweight Title.
- Suffered a back injury against Sting in Japan in 1994 which ended his in-ring career.
- Improbable Weapon User: (As a member of DX): His briefcase, and once threw coffee in the Patriot's face as he made his way out to the ring for a match.
- Insult Backfire: Before his match with Cactus Jack at a WCW house show in New York City on April 14, 1993, Rude said, "What I'd like for now is for all you fat, out-of-shape, inner-city SCUMBAGS to keep the noise down so the ladies can see what a real sexy man looks like." Then Cactus came out and got on the mic and said, "What I'd like for now is for Rick Rude to keep the noise down so I can show everyone what a fat, out-of-shape, inner-city SCUMBAG is supposed to look like!" Jack even did some poses to the cheers of the crowd.
- It's All About Me: Bobby Heenan claims that he and Rude didn't get along because Rude was afraid that Heenan would steal Rude's heat.
- Kavorka Man
- Large Ham
- Mr. Fanservice: Even during his self-absorbed heel promos, cameras would cut to women in the crowd who were just drooling over the guy.
- Power Stable: Several.
- Real Song Theme Tune:
- Small Name, Big Ego
- Smooch of Victory: After finishing off Jobbers, he liked to pick a pretty girl out of the audience to give a kiss to. Unfortunately for Rude, one night he picked out Cheryl Roberts, then-wife of Jake Roberts.
- Tag Team: The Awesome Twosome, with "The Raging Bull" Manny Fernandez.
- Take That: His aforementioned Nitro/Raw stunt is one of wrestling's most notorious of these. And that's not even taking into account the promo he cut on Nitro.