(b. 1943 in Quitman, MO) is a retired American Professional Wrestler
and current promoter and trainer best known for his 8 reigns as NWA World Heavyweight Champion during the 1970s and 1980s. He started in Missouri as a teenager before moving to Memphis and wrestling under the name Jack Long
and teaming with his "brother"
John Long. Over time, he competed for, obviously, many National Wrestling Alliance
territories, for the American Wrestling Association
, for Stampede Wrestling, and for All Japan Pro Wrestling
, before he started winding down his career in WWE
in the late 1980s. He retired from active competition in 1991 and became a manager in WCW
, most famously for Lex Luger
, and, especially, Big Van Vader
. He is also the promoter of World League Wrestling in Missouri. He was inducted into the Wrestling Observer Newsletter
Hall of Fame in 1996 and into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2004. He is also on the list of wrestlers who had slammed André the Giant
prior to Hulk Hogan
doing it at WrestleMania III
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
- Afro Asskicker: Just look at the photo.
- As Himself: As the ring announcer in the 2007 film Mil Mascaras Vs. the Aztec Mummy.
- Awesome McCool Name: It's his real name, too.
- Badass: Probably one of the top five legitly toughest guys in the history of the business. One of only two people Andre the Giant was afraid of, the other being Meng.
- Bash Brothers: Larry "The Ax" Hennig, Roger Kirby, Bob Roop
- Determinator: Early in his career, he was in a car accident that killed his wife, and resulted in the near amputation of his leg. After his leg was saved, he was told that he might never walk again. The rest of the story tells itself.
- Detractor Nickname: In-universe example; The Crusher would call Harley Race and Larry "The Ax" Hennig "The Dolly Sisters."
- Dirty Coward: In 1983, he tried to retire Ric Flair by putting a bounty on him.
- Expy: Some have compared the pairing of CM Punk and Paul Heyman to that of Race and Bobby Heenan.
- Finishing Move:
- Heel: His primary role.
- I Hit You, You Hit the Ground: "If I hit him with my left [hand] and he doesn't go down, I will walk around him to see what's holding him up."
- My God, What Have I Done?: Has gone on record to say that he wished he had never invented the diving headbutt, as it has lead to spinal and brain injuries for those who have used it (Dynamite Kid, Chris Benoit, etc.).
- Power Stable: The Heenan Family in WWE
- Real Song Theme Tune: (as "The King" in WWE): Modest Mussorgsky's "The Bogatyr Gates (in the Capital in Kiev)" (from his famous piano suite Pictures At An Exhibition. It's the same music Haku used during his run as the "King of the WWF" and that Jerry "The King" Lawler has used his whole time in WWE.
- Red Baron: "Handsome," "The King"
- Retired Badass: Needed a cane just to stand by 2014 in Pro Wrestling Noah, but there was a reason they had him announce his seal of approval prior to putting on their GHC Championship matches.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: He and Vader knew better than to stick around when an enraged Madusa started kicking Paul E. Dangerously's ass after he fired her from the Dangerous Alliance and went off on a sexist rant at WCW Halloween Havoc 92.note
- Stun Guns: Used one to keep Cactus Jack down for a 10-count in his Texas Death Match against Vader at WCW Halloween Havoc 93.
- During his stint as Vaders manager, there is a story about Race using a stun gun on a naked Vader to get him to hurry his ass out of the shower so they could hit the road. Even for a man Vaders size, getting tazered while naked and wet must have hurt quite a bit.