Wrestling: Davey Boy Smith
Born David Boy Smith
(Yes, that was his real name. His mother got confused with the Birth Certificate) on the 27th November 1962, Smith was to become one of the biggest names in British wrestling and one of the most famous foreign stars in WWE
in the 90's under his wrestling name, the British Bulldog. Starting off in the World of Sport, Smith's career would take him through WWE and WCW
as a successful tag and singles wrestler, notching up numerous title runs along the way.
Smith was most famous for the main event at SummerSlam 92
where he pinned Bret Hart
to become the Intercontinental Champion
in front of 80,000 fans of his home nation at the legendary Wembley arena. A long standing wrestler within WWE in the 90's along with several stints in WCW of varying success, Smith's demons would eventually take their toll as years of painkiller and steroid abuse were responsible for his death by heart failure on the 18th May 2002. Despite that, Smith is largely remembered fondly for his role in the ring and extensive career.
Oh, and for being BIZARRE!
However, that promo is NOTHING compared to this indescribable promo his cousin and future tag team partner the Dynamite Kid cut on him in their Stampede days.
- Animal Motif
- Arch-Enemy: Dynamite Kid, the Hart Foundation, the Islanders (Haku and Tama), the Warlord, Big Van Vader, Sid Vicious, Lord Steven Regal, Shawn Michaels
- Bash Brothers: Shared this relationship with his brother-in-law Owen Hart throughout their lives. The two served as one of the better tag teams WWE had in the mid 90's as well as being great friends in the back.
- Also fit this earlier in his career with his cousin Tom Billington, the legendary "Dynamite Kid", before they had a falling out in the 90's.
- Breakup Breakout: Due to trademarking the British Bulldog name for himself and Dynamite Kid's injuries.
- Demoted to Extra: During his final stints in both WCW and WWE.
- Face-Heel Turn: After his infamous turn in 1995, he was mostly a heel for the rest of his career.
- Finishing Move: The Running Powerslam served as Davey Boy's finisher as a singles competitor.
- Foreign Wrestling Heel: He qualified when he wrestled in any country other than Britain as a heel, but fit this trope best while a member of Bret Hart's anti-American Hart Foundation stable in 1997.
- Important Haircut: After he turned heel he cut off his signature long hair
- Legacy Character: His son Harry, aka David Hart Smith in WWE or Davey Boy Smith Jr. in New Japan Pro Wrestling.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Relative in the world of wrestling of course as Smith was about average height, which is small compared to most other professional wrestlers. Despite that, he was billed as the 'strongest pound for pound' wrestler on the roster at times and was able to execute his patented delayed vertical suplex on guys like Sycho Sid, Warlord, Vader and The Undertaker.
- Power Stable:
- Camp Cornette, with Owen and Yokozuna until Vader replaced Yoko.
- The Hart Foundation, with Bret, Owen, Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart and Brian Pillman.
- Right-Hand Attack Dog: Matlida the Wonder Dog … at least in the eyes of Bobby Heenan. Matlida was Smith's mascot during his days with the British Bulldogs, and Heenan repeatedly claimed that Matlida was trained to bite him or one of his wrestlers without provocation. This came into play at WrestleMania IV, following Heenan's upset win involving him and the Islanders against the Bulldogs and Koko B. Ware, when following the match Matilda chased and caught Heenan in the aisle.
- Tag Team: The British Bulldogs, with the Dynamite Kid,
- The SuperPowers with Sting in WCW in 1993
- The Allied Powers with Lex Luger in WWE in 1995.
- with Owen Hart
- Trickster Archetype: Especially with his brother-in-law and friend Owen Hart, they were celebrated pranksters backstage.
- Underwear of Power: And by extension, Wearing A Flag On Your Trunks.
- Wrestling Family: Was cousin to Tom Billington, more famously known as the Dynamite Kid. Along with that, he married Diana Hart, sister to Bret and became linked to that extensive family. Has a son, Harry, who competed in WWE for a few years as David Hart Smith.