Thomas "Tom" Billington
(b. 1958) is a retired British Professional Wrestler
as The Dynamite Kid
. He started his career in England in the late 1970s and would then catch on with Stampede Wrestling. He then went on to New Japan Pro Wrestling
where he had a classic series with the original Tiger Mask
. He also competed in NWA Pacific Northwest Wrestling in Portland
, OR. In 1984, he debuted in WWE
teaming with Bret Hart
. After his cousin Davey Boy Smith
arrived he and Dynamite were teamed together as the British Bulldogs. They would defeat the Dream Team (Greg "The Hammer" Valentine
and Brutus Beefcake
) for the WWE World Tag Team Titles
in the main event of the Chicago
stage of WrestleMania 2
. Unfortunately, Dynamite suffered a major back injury in December 1986 in a match against Don Muraco
and "Cowboy" Bob Orton Jr. This led to the Bulldogs losing the belts to the Hart Foundation (Bret and Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart.) Dynamite left WWE after Survivor Series 88
and would go on to have runs in Stampede, All Japan Pro Wrestling
and Michinoku Pro Wrestling
before finally retiring in 1996. Along with the one WWE World Tag Team Title reign, he was a 1x New Japan WWF World Junior Heavyweight Champion
, a 5x Stampede British Commonwealth Mid-Heavyweight Champion
and a 1x All Japan All Asia Tag Team Champion
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
- Animal Motif: With the dogs.
- Arch-Enemy: Tiger Mask, the Hart Foundation, the Islanders (Haku and Tama)
- Artistic License - Biology/Cloudcuckoolander: During his heel run in Stampede, he took a rather, to put it mildly, unique approach to generating heat for his feud with Davey Boy. He and manager JR Foley were being interviewed and Dynamite claimed that Davey Boy was a test tube baby, but that's not the unscientific part. The unscientific part was Dynamite saying that Davey being a test tube baby meant that he wasn't human and that he should "go back to Jupiter or Mars."
- Big Guy, Little Guy: With Loch Ness.
- Dented Iron: In bad shape, even for an ex-wrestler. His pioneering high flying style took an incredible toll on his body.
- To be specific, his left leg is paralyzed and he is now confined to a wheelchair.
- Domestic Abuse: In Real Life to his first wife Michelle (the sister of Bret Hart's ex-wife Julie).
- Expy/Legacy Character: Unfortunately, Chris Benoit, who started out calling himself "Dynamite" Chris Benoit and borrowed a lot from him.
- Finishing Move:
- I Have the High Ground: He was a pioneering high-flyer during his era.
- It Runs in the Family
- Jerk Ass: Most ancedotes about Dynamite paints this picture.
- Power Stable:
- (in Stampede): Foley's Army (led by JR Foley, no relation to those other guys)
- (in NWA Pacific Northwest Wrestling): Rip Oliver's Clan
- Real Song Theme Tune: The British Bulldogs used "Rule, Britannia!" in WWE.
- Tag Team:
- The British Bulldogs, first with Davey Boy then in Japan with Johnny Smith, though that version was also called the British Bruisers.
- The Trope Kid
- Underwear of Power: And by extension, Wearing A Flag As A Wrestling Attire.
- Wrestling Family: Davey Boy was his cousin, making him a member of the Hart Family.