"The dream of the 90's is alive in Portland!"
(not to be confused with Portland, ME) is Oregon's largest city and a major city of The Other Rainforest
. Portland is known for being almost as rainy as Seattle
but twice as bizarre. Portland's nicknames include the City of Roses
, Stumptown, Portlandia, PDX, Rip Citynote
and "the place where young people go to retire". The residents are often stereotyped as hipsters
, Granola Girls
, or New Age Retro Hippies
. It is, however, not quite
as bizarre as Portlandia
would have you believe.
Notable people connected to Portland:
Works set in or near Portland:
- In Comic Book Tattoo, a collection of short stories based on the music of Tori Amos, the story for "Take to the Sky" is based in Portland's black community.
- Portland was the main setting of The Transformers during the Marvel era, apparently being the closest city to Mount St. Hilary.
- The Hunted. The film features an action scene where Benicio Del Toro's character is pursued through Downtown Portland (notable for a sequence involving a MAX train on the Hawthorne Bridge - in spite of the fact that the MAX doesn't go on the Hawthorne Bridge).
- Mr. Brooks. A film about a successful Portland businessman, who turns out to be a serial killer.
- Untraceable. The climax prominently features Portland's Broadway Bridge, which made some local headlines when the film was first released.
- The first Twilight movie was largely filmed in and around Portland, although it takes place in Forks, Washington. For the second movie onwards, production was moved to Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Mr. Holland's Opus was filmed and set in Portland, though the only indication in the movie that it is Portland is the city seal on the wall during a meeting of the City Council.
- The first and final thirds of Gus Van Sant's Drugstore Cowboy take place in Portland circa 1971.
- Portlandia, a (sometimes) Affectionate Parody of the city's association with hipsters.
- Hello Larry
- Perfect Couples
- Leverage during the fifth season, though it had been filmed there from Season 2 on.
- The fourth season episode "The Gold Job" sees the team pulling a con on a brother-sister cash-for-gold scheme in Portland. Little details of the scenery start seeping in, like how Parker keeps getting distracted from the con by Voodoo Doughnuts.
- The song 'Light Rail Coyote' by indie-punk band Sleater Kinney is about the city and mentions many of the sites.
- The Bon Iver song Holocene is about a Portland bar where the band played an early show.
- "Portland, Oregon" by Loretta Lynn and Jack White, from the former's Van Lear Rose album.