Wearing a Flag on Your Head
Displaying a flag like a banner, such as the American flag, is the typical way to show a flag. In fact, we've Seen It a Million Times
, in America
Basically, it's become a cliche
. Anyone can show off a flag like that... if they have a pole and a way to secure the flag to it. These days, there are plenty of better ways to show off flags, especially the American flag.
Perhaps you can paint the flag all over your car, preferably an American made car. Or you can get a tattoo. Or you can make clothing out of the flag. That way you know your clothes are made in America... as long as it's the American flag.
Heck, why stick with the same old flag designs? Flags change all the time, like the American flag
. Perhaps you can have some fun with the flag, and put your cool new design on a T-shirt. We'd say "an American made T-shirt," but we all know that now T-shirts are made in China!
You must make sure that your flag is displayed correctly, however, because flying an American flag upside-down is a way to call for help, and you don't want to look pathetic while wearing your flag, now do you?
Either way, have fun with your cool way to show off your flag, but it helps if your flag has a cool design in the first place. Also, you should first make sure this is actually legal in your country, like America (and America today
, a few decades ago it was quite illegal)!
Often overlaps with Captain Geographic
, and occasionally overlaps with Goofy Print Underwear
(when the flag's not on your head
A Super Trope
to Flag Bikini
Compare Sigil Spam
, Symbol Motif Clothing
Not to be confused with Star-Spangled Spandex
open/close all folders
- Supporters of national teams, particularly in The Beautiful Game, will wear flags as apparel, a lot of times actually as caps. The American Outlaws are a particularly egregious example, as they're noted for wearing American flag bandannas over their lower faces.
Albanian Double-Headed Eagle
- In every Miss Universe National Costume competition, the Albanian contestant has always worn the flag wrapped somehow. Observe here◊, and here for example.
- This is very popular with artists too.
Australian Blue Ensign
- In recent Marvel Comics, Australian Captain Ethnic Boomerang (brash, dimwitted criminal, uses boomerangs, you know how it is) has begun masquerading as the heroic Outback as part of Norman Osborn's corruption of the 50 States Initiative. Outback's entire costume is the Australian flag, except with a bizarre emphasis on the British flag parts and the Southern Cross only being on his head.
- Captain Australia from Champions Universe. Unlike the Outback example above, her costume emphasises the Southern Cross, with the Union Jack being worn as a shoulder pauldron.
- Unfortunately, thanks to a few idiot politicians like Pauline Hanson, racist yobbos have taken to wearing the Australian flag as a cape while beating up minorities and generally being a menace to society and disgrace to the flag.
- Max Cavalera from Sepultura and Soulfy displayed the Auriverde on his guitars for a while (Sepultura was the very first Brazilian band to achieve worldwide recognition, and he was quite proud of it). ESP Guitars even issued a signature guitar that sported the Auriverde. Later, he used one with the American flag... also sold as a signature guitar.
- Brazil banned bikinis with the national flag print a few years back (because these bikinis are considered flag profanity).
Canadian Maple Leaf/l'Unifolié
Anime and Manga
- In Axis Powers Hetalia, Canada puts a sticker of his flag on his forehead to distinguish himself from America, since no one ever noticed him. (If they did, they mistaken him for America.) However, America sticks the American flag on his head saying it makes him more awesome.
- Canadianman in Kinnikuman's entire costume is patterned after the Canadian flag. His special moves include the Canadian Backbreaker and swinging an axe like a lumberjack.
- It should be noted that the Canadian Backbreaker is an actual wrestling hold, not something made up simply for the character.
- The old (late 80s/early 90s) Alpha Flight uniforms had a maple-leaf motif on them, making them look like the flag of Canada:
- Weapon Alpha/Vindicator/Guardian (and he went by the latter two names twice!) and his red-white-maple-leaved costume. His Ultimate version follows suit even though each of the Ultimate Alpha Flight members have their own peculiar costumes.
- When Heather (who first took the name Vindicator after Mac's apparent death) took the name Guardian, the recently-returned Mac (who went back to Vindicator) wore a version with the red and white switched (since Heather had the original design). After he returned a second time, Heather (like the rest of the team) was wearing the standardized (and distinctively different enough) team costume, allowing Mac to return to his original look. Heather's geothermal suit from the second series was green and white.
- There are also various Canadian superheroes such as Captain Canuck and the like and wear the Maple Leaf with pride to show that they're the toughest Canadian not called Wolverine there is in North America.
- Trish Stratus fought at least one match while wearing a pair of butt-hugging Canadian flag-themed shorts. It was truly a glorious sight to see.
- TNA Power Stable Team Canada all wore outfits adorned with Canadian-flag imagery. What else did you expect, eh?
- One comedian states that Canada's entire military budget should be spent on making one Super Soldier who wears a Canadian flag as a cape.
- In Age of Mythology, entering the code "O CANADA" will give you a bear that shoots lasers and wears a Canadian flag cape.
- In Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series, Bandit Keith wears one after the credits of the episode where he admits he's actually Canadian... in (North) America!
- In the Whateley Universe, Captain Canada has an outfit and round shield that's a blatant ripoff of the 'Captain America' costume, except for the Canadian flag. It's lampshaded repeatedly. The other Canadian mutants at Whateley Academy think he's an embarrassment.
- In The Superhero Squad Show, Wolverine, a Canadian, had to wear a modified version of his costume that is in Canadian colours during an episode that has him join the various national Captains like Captain America.
- Canadian travellers abroad used to sew the Maple Leaf on their backpacks so as not to be confused with Americans. Nowadays this seems to be more common among American travellers pretending to be Canadian while not in America.
- Fans of Tim Horton will wear Canadian flags in Buffalo, New York, due to the proximity of the Canadian border.
- On Canadian money, the buildings have the Red Ensign flag flying over them, but this looks so much like the American flag from a distance that everyone thinks they printed the American flag on Canadian money! New bills were issued in 2005.
- Shawn Ashmore once posed for a magazine wearing nothing but the Canadian flag.
- The NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs proudly wear the Maple Leaf on their chests, albeit coloured blue rather than red.
By which we mean the Confederate Battle Flag (the one with the blue X-shape bearing white stars on it against a red background), not the stars-and-bars national flag of the Confederate States of America.
Anime and Manga
- There's also a Captain Confederacy comic book. Knowing the independent comic landscape in the 80s, which is when it seemed to have been published, it's not unlikely that it came out only in America.
- Bubba Ray Dudley (now know as Bully Ray) wore one early in his career, with the explanation that he was the son of Big Daddy Dudley and a southern woman.
- G.I. Joe H.A.V.O.C. driver Cross-Country toys, mainly sold in America, wear a confederate flag belt buckle. A later toy featured him in a Civil War Confederate jacket with the flag printed on the back, and the aforementioned belt buckle. In the first case, "Heritage, Not Hatred" is stitched under the flag to let you know he's not a complete lunatic. Both figures also sport grey Confederate kepi caps.
- The Confederacy in Starcraft had the Confederate flag applied to armor. Expanded universe content from the series shows they were big fans of putting it on everything, really.
- This trope is quite common in Real Life....in the American South
- The Confederate flag is known only as the Rebel Flag by many, thus associating with a general attitude of rebellion rather than the true history of its origin.
- Rebel flag bikinis exist for Southern girls to wear down to the lake.
- The Danish flag (dannebrog) is for some reason considered more to be a general symbol of joy than a national symbol, leading to it being traditionally displayed in miniature on Christmas trees, birthday cakes and party accessories, and being waved obnoxiously in the face of friends returning from overseas in the airport.
- Football brings out dannebrog facepaint, shirts, flags worn as capes and the ever-present red-and-white clapping cat.
- It's also flown in pretty much every garden, with actual laws regulating when and how to fly it.
European Union Star Halo
- In Nextwave, Elissa Bloodstone famously wore an EU t-shirt on one of the team's excursions, eventually causing her to say "Victim? Do you think this letter on my chest stands for America?!"
- It is not a country, but this does not mean that no embarrassing nationalism exists, such as in the form of Captain Euro, who is in no way related to the infinitely manlier Captain America.
Anime and Manga
- Schwarz Bruder from G Gundam wears a mask with the color arrangement of the flag of Germany. Perhaps if he wore an American flag pattern instead, he wouldn't have died.
- Germans usually are not very fond of displaying flags and when they do it's usually regional or local flags, since the last time the country went through a craze of flags and national symbols, it ended up very badly for everyone. Except when the national football team is playing in an international competition. Then you see the three colors everywhere and on everything! It probably has been copied from football fans of other nations, like England or Brazil, who have been appearing in stadiums in their national colors for much longer. Germans see it as a way to support their team, having nothing to do with national pride.
Israeli Star Of David
- Sabra, the national superhero of Israel in Marvel Comics, wears a Star of David-themed costume.
- The Israeli flag itself is an inversion - its design is based on the tallit, the Jewish prayer shawl. Rather than using a flag for clothing, they used clothing for a flag.
Japanese Rising Sun
Anime and Manga
- In Axis Powers Hetalia Korea give suggestions for uses of the Japanese flag such as wearing it as a t-shirt.
- Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs: The leader of the group has a headband with a red dot, like the Japanese flag. In the American version, it became a fireball, and a westerner (albeit an Englishman) ecame the supposed leader, because that's what we want to see in our American cartoons.
- Quick Kick, G.I. Joe's Japanese-Korean-American martial arts expert, often wore a Japanese flag headband.
- Sunfire from Marvel Comics has had costumes inspired by the Japanese naval ensign (the version of the Japanese flag with the red rays extruding from the sun).
- Hondo-City Judges in the Dreddverse wear white one-piece uniforms with a red circle on the chest, meant to evoke the Japanese flag.
- Fuji of Stormwatch has a Japanese flag pattern painted on his face. Icons: The DC & Wildstorm art of Jim Lee shows that in the original concept for Stormwatch, the entire Multinational Team wore their flags on their faces.
- Buckaroo Banzai, son of a Japanese father and American mother, wore a Rising Sun bandana when he tested the Jet Car and the Oscillation Overthruster.
- The Karate Kid. Daniel's headband has a reproduction of the Japanese imperial seal imprinted.
- Shu Todoroki from Cars 2.
- Visual Kei arm bands with with a Rising Sun or Japanese Flag design are around, but I think they're actually sold more on sites that ship to America, or cater mainly to Americans, like Lolita Kisama. I made one with the rising sun and "Japan Land of The Rising Sun" written on it in Japanese.
- Samurai Goroh from F-Zero wears a Japanese flag on his head, as does his son Daigoro. Good to see he's taking fashion tips from me, in America.
- In Super Mario RPG, boss character Boomer has a Japanese flag imprinted on his head for no conceivable reason besides his resemblance to a samurai, even in the American release.
- Fatal Fury's Joe Higashi and King of Fighters' Goro Daimon also wear Japanese flag headbands. In some artworks, Joe's bandanna has the kanji for flame instead of the Hinomaru.
- Homestar Runner: Pom Pom, when showing of his mastery of martial arts, suddenly acquires a Japanese flag headband.
- Soldiers often wore their nation's flag as headbands.
- A headband with the rising sun seems to be a standard motif.
- The launch version of the Honda Fit's trunk badge had the "I" dotted with a rising sun. When Honda launched the Fit in America it was changed to a blue dot to appease American buyers who wouldn't want to fly a foreign country's colors.
- Japanese Bento lunches sometimes have an Umiboshi (A salty sour pickled plum) in the center of rice. It's there for two reasons, 1) Flavor, 2) It resembles the Japanese Flag. American lunchboxes have to make do with the occasional flag-frosted cupcake, usually available only around the Fourth of July.
Anime and Manga
- Chijimiman from Kinnikuman, wears the yin-yang center on his breastplate
- Kim Kaphwan from King of Fighters has the yin and yang part on his uniform, while his student May Lee has it on her belt
- DC Comics once introduced a bunch of international heroes in their Annuals one year, including three new Mexican heroes. Most of the heroes had their national flag as the background of their book's cover. Since it's illegal for anyone to use the Mexican flag in anything but an official capacity, DC had to change the cover of the book when it was released in Mexico.
- A car only appearing in the Mexican dub of Cars 2.
- There was a case in which Paulina Rubio, a pop singer, caused controversy because of a picture taken from her only covered with the flag.
- Spanish Burger King restaurants promoted a "Texican burger" with a cowboy and some other guy dressed in a sarape with the Mexican flag on it.
- Juan Escutia, one of the Niños Héroes, is often shown throwing himself from the Chapultepec Castle, wrapped in a Mexican flag to prevent the American troops from taking it.
Norwegian Nordic Cross
- In Pushing Daisies, the Norwegian detectives have a SUV-based lab painted with the Norwegian flag, and always dress in jackets that make them look like they're members of the Norwegian Olympic Team. Disappointingly, the American detectives do not follow suit.
- Some American colleges run by the Evangelical Lutheran Synod (largely populated by Norwegians), the Norwegian flag is flown on campus next to the American flag, and the bookstore features many items (including clothing) emblazoned with the Norwegian flag.
Flag of Puerto Rico
- In Grand Theft Auto IV, some civilians can be seen wearing shirts with the Puerto Rican flag design on them. This started a weird rumor from fans who didn't check their facts that Captain America was an unlockable character in the game.
- Wrestlers Eddie"Primo" Colon and Savio Vega both use ring gear designed from the flag. TNA's Homicide wears a bandana designed from the flag. Some wrestlers in Puerto Rican promotions have done this too.
- A lot of Puerto Ricans from the island tend to wear clothes designed from the flag (bandanas, shirts, etc.).
- Around June, and throughout Summer actually, in NYC expect a lot of flag wearing.
- In SSX Blur, Felix Levesque wears a hat with a strong Quebecois flag motif, a province in Canada, a nation in North America.
- Everywhere. The Québécois are extremely nationalistic, and Quebec flags are seen on articles of clothing (and everything else) pretty much all the time, but especially around the holiday of St-Jean-Baptiste (particularly as a Take That to Canada).
Soviet Red Banner
- "Cold War" is one of the unlockable camouflage suits in Metal Gear Solid 3. It's a combat suit with the entire front end painted in a Soviet flag while the back is covered with an American flag. The joke is that since the enemy soldiers are Russian, they will hesitate to shoot you when you're facing them with their flag showing, but will be more than happy to shoot as soon as you turn around and reveal the American flag. There are also unlockable face paints of the flags of various countries, including the United States, Great Britain and the Soviet Union... In Soviet Russia!
- In Red Alert 2, the Soviet Premier wears hammer and sickle boxers.
- For some reason, Soviet heroes are EXTREMELY popular in City of Heroes; naturally, many wear the flag as a costume.
Stars And Stripes
Anime and Manga
- Leonard Apollo in Eyeshield 21 wore an American flag tie during the NASA Aliens' game ith the Deimon Devil Bats in Japan. He's such a dick that he probably only did it to rub it into the Japanese peoples' faces, especially considering how racist he was. It's sort of hard to believe that such a huge racist could have gotten so far in America.
- Jackie Gudelhian in Future GPX Cyber Formula wears the American flag-patterned trunks in EP 5 of Double-One, when he is recuperating from a crash in the race he was in.
- As noted above, this is a common occurrence in Kinnikuman, but this happens most often with American characters like The Rigany or Mr. American (whose mask has the flag pattern, making this another literal example).
- In the Midori no Hibi manga, foreign exchange student Lucy wears American flag underwear.
- A member of the American team in Yakitate!! Japan was wearing an American flag themed bikini while on the deserted island.
- Pictured above is Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh!. The abridged series takes this and provides both the page quote and the trope name.
- Captain America's outfit is unsurprisingly based on the American flag. In Earth X, Cap wears an actual flag in place of his uniform shirt (he still seems to have the old pants). He's probably not in violation of the Flag Code anyway. President Osborne has introduced a new, kinda ugly, flag.
- There are dozens of other heroes with a flag motif to their costume, from Marvel's own Superpatriot, Defender, Jack Flagg, Free Spirit, Patriots I and II, the Spirit of '76, US Agent, etc, to DC's Shield, Commander and Citizen Steel (not to mention the original Steel), Star Spangled Kid and Stripesy, Agent Liberty, Major Victory, and Uncle Sam himself.
- Supersolder of the Amalgam Universe wears a Stars-and-Stripes suit somewhat similar to Captain America's, but exchanges the original shield with one bearing Superman's "S" emblem.
- Nuke, a drug-fueled super-tough and utterly insane Super Soldier hired by the Kingpin to take out Daredevil, had the American flag painted on his face. He also took pills, red ones to rile him up, blue ones to bring him down, and white ones to sedate him completely. At one point, while flying in an airplane, he violently insisted on knowing whether the beer he was about to drink was brewed... in America.
- Wonder Woman pretty much walks around in a star spangled bathing suit, even though she's technically not an American (if you could tie her by birth to any real-life nation, it would be Greece). This is explained in the comics that Steve Trevor's mother crashlanded on the Amazon's island in the 1940s, died helping the inhabitants and thus was a honored hero whose American Flag patch was considered in her personal crest. Furthermore, the God Ares had Steve Trevor manipulated to try to bomb the Amazons in part because he couldn't resist the irony of their great hero's son killing them. When Diana stopped the military pilot's attempt (which he tried to break off, but was attacked by his evil copilot) and saw his US Flag patch, she decided she had to go to the USA.
- In Astro City, the Old Soldier is a benevolent spirit that has taken part in virtually every armed conflict the world has ever known, but he started appearing draped partially in the American flag in 1775 and has never been seen without it since. Even when his conscience has occasionally forced him to fight against American troops. There's also the All-American, an American football themed hero whose athletic uniform has a distinctive flag motif to it.
- When Ronald Reagan appeared in Strontium Dog, it turned out his underwear was patterned with the American flag.
- In The Dark Knight Returns, Ronald Reagan wears something akin to a priestly robe with a flag pattern.
- In Judge Dredd, all American Judges have a Stars and Stripes pattern on their belt buckles. Judges in other areas have their own nationalistic variants.
- Both the Superpatriot and Commander Capitalism, among others, in the larger Image Comics universe. Commander Capitalism probably deserves special mention: his entire costume is patterned exactly after the US flag. A field of 50 stars in the upper left and 13 stripes - anything else would just be unamerican.
- The cover to the first issue of Supreme Power shows the baby Hyperion wrapped in the American flag. It's much more sinister than it sounds.
- Pug Davis has an American Flag on his spacesuit.
- Garth Ennis's The Boys has an interesting anecdote on this trope;
"Wee" Hughie: Brits just get a wee bit suspicious when folks start wavin' flags, you know?
Mother's Milk: Don't blame 'em. Mattera fact, you might say the more you wave it, the less it means. Less you think about what it means. Start wrappin' shit up in it, wear it like some kinda goddamn suit...? Hell. Pretty soon, it don't mean nothin' at all.
- Subverted on Top Gear, where the British presenters are offered an American flag themed motorcycle to drive should their own bikes break down. In Vietnam. Naturally, none of them wants it. Of course, being dumpy white men who only speak English, most of the natives probably assumed they were Americans anyway.
- Lampshaded on The Daily Show by Aasif Mandvi. In this segment, involving a Muslim extremist group that sent death threats to Matt Stone and Trey Parker over depictions of Mohammed in an episode of South Park, Aasif, himself a Muslim, was upset over people using his faith as an excuse for violence.
Aasif Mandvi: Well, A, it's just so 12th Century, and B, I don't like having to walk around wearing this suit.
(Aasif turns around and shows a huge American flag appliqued to the back of his sports jacket.)
Jon Stewart: Wow. You had to have a special suit made?
Aasif Mandvi: No, it's a Tommy Hilfiger, but I had to buy it!
- Alex Wolff of The Naked Brothers Band.
- In Duck Dynasty, Willie Robertson wears a Stars and Stripes bandana.
- Lady Gaga's video for 'Telephone.'
- Keith Flint in The Prodigy's video for Firestarter.
- Mika Todd wore stars and stripes often in her Mini Moni days, as she was the only one in the group who was born in America.
- Tim Garbutt of Utah Saints wore a shirt with an American flag on it in the videos for "Believe In Me" and "I Want You."
- A recurring symbol for Music/Flobots is a Stars and Stripes bandana worn around the neck.
- Ulysses, a mysterious character from Fallout: New Vegas wears a duster with the Old World Flag on the back. By the end of Lonesome Road, the Courier is given a coat of their own symbolizing the faction that they choose to support for the official endgame, with the Old World coat representing Mr. House.
- In City of Heroes, Statesman apparently used to wear a US flag as his cape, but removed it to replace the American flag atop Paragon City Hall, and in respect to Hero 1. This is used as the in-game justification for why characters cannot wear a cape until they reach level 20 and do a specific mission to earn one.
- Guile from the Street Fighter franchise has a tattoo of the American flag on both of his arms.
- Candi Suxx from Grand Theft Auto: Vice City wears nothing more than a American flag themed bikini.
- Tiffany from Rival Schools wears very revealing cheerleading outfits patterned after the American flag. Now that's the kind of girl we'd like cheer for... in America!
- Metal Wolf Chaos has the stars and stripes as a color scheme. As if you're surprised.
- The appropriately-named Patriot from Quake III: Arena wears a flag on his head literally. The fluff says he has an overly patriotic appearance basically to make fun of the time of humans still fighting each other.
- Izzy Sparks from Guitar Hero has some outfits with the American flag on them.
- One character in Day Of The Tentacle wears a (slightly revamped) American Flag as a disguise.
- In the Hitman games, Agent Smith wears American flag boxer shorts.
- Elvis from Perfect Dark wears a vest with a Stars and Stripes pattern, which has his name printed on the back. The fact that he's a Grey alien doesn't seem to bother him at all.
- Payday: Dallas the professional heister. 's mask. In Payday2, you can make stars and stripes of different colors by using the mask crafting system and a Stars and Stripes picture template.
- When you're as American as Stephen Colbert, an American flag is the only◊ clothing you need.
- Abbie Hoffman wore American flag print shirts, something that got him beat up by policeman because "people died for that flag." When Abbie wore the shirt for an interview on The Merv Griffin Show in 1970, Moral Guardians visually blurred out his image for the broadcast.
- Allen Ginsberg wore an Uncle Sam-style top hat as an outrageous protest back when it was considered disrespectful to wear the flag, thanks to Values Dissonance.
- Amanda Tapping caused a small controversy by posing for a magazine wearing nothing but an American flag◊. Which is funny, considering that she's an English-born Canadian...in America! However, Rule of Sexy applies: Amanda Tapping is HOT.
- Lord TNK made a comic showing off his cool flag designs, and they're all American flags.
- Ke$ha's performance on SNL involved her wearing a sparkly American flag-patterned cape (in addition to another flag hanging off her mic stand).
- In 2010 Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill kicked several students off campus for wearing American flags on Cinco de Mayo causing a national controversy.
- And of course, American soldiers wear a patch shoulder depecting an American Flag. When worn on the right shoulder, the flag has to be "reversed" so that it looks like the flag is waving in the correct way when the soldier walks forward.
- Old Navy stores in the US sell US flag t-shirts for five dollars each from March to July 4 every year. Generally the shirts feature an image of the flag with an Old Navy logo and the current year.
- In international racing events, you will often see cars painted with American flag designs covering a goodly portion of the body, such as on the American run Ferraris in the 2012 24 Hours of Le Mans, though, in that event, the french went with french flag colored Porshe 911s covering the whole car body, instead of just the sides.
- Sports trunks with a stars and bars motif are common in combat sports, particularly older Mixed Martial Arts fighters such as Don Fry and Butterbean.
- The USA Olympic fencing team have taken it one step further by wearing a flag pattern on their faces.
- Willie Nelson has been quite fond of this. If he's not wearing a Texas bandanna, expect to see a Texas flag in the background while he's performing.
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert: Whenever you see General Carville, you'll see his "Don't Mess With Texas" flag mug.
- In Red Alert 2, you see a highway sign emblazoned with the Texas Flag reminding drivers to "Drive Friendly, The Texas Way!" shortly before a Soviet tank runs it over. The sign, of course, is a real highway sign displayed at state border crossings.
- Texas State Guard members wear Texas flags on their uniforms, which are otherwise identical to active military and National Guard uniforms. In the civilian world, this is sometimes misconstrued into a belief that soldiers from Texas wear the Texan flag patches instead of American flags.
- Big Tex, the iconic (and huge) statue from the Texas State Fair, wears a button-up shirt patterned like the Texas Flag.
- Many products in Texas have a Texas flag somewhere on them, although generally as a part of the design and not as THE design.
- This troper has seen a barn in Texas with a hug flag painted across the entire roof.
- Really, you can find the Texas Flag all over the place if you look hard enough, although most Texans likely filter most of it out because it's always been that way, and thus, by its very nature, is not worth noticing. The filter lifts upon crossing state lines, so the humor can once again be appreciated when one encounters a sequined Texas flag handbag in a department store in Colorado!
Anime and Manga
- Axis Powers Hetalia: In the artwork for the new version of Gauken Hetalia England is wearing a Union Jack T-shirt as part of his casual outift.
- Once again in Kinnikuman we have The Jack, a minor, minor, minor choujin who failed to graduate from the Hercules Factory and literally wears the Union Flag over his entire head.
- Yotsuba◊ of Sister Princess, being British born, sometimes wears articles of clothing with the Union Flag design on them.
- In Kin-iro Mosaic, Karen wears a Union flag blazer as part of her Custom Uniform.
- Captain Britain. Sure his outfit hasn't always been a perfect Union Jack design, but it's meant to invoke the image. In the new Captain Britain and MI:13 series, after dying, the good Captain is resurrected by Merlin - who pulls his body together out of British flags, in order that he be one symbol representing many, like the flag itself.
- Union Jack, as the name suggests, even more so. Union Jack was in The Invaders, with Captain America.
- Jenny Sparks of The Authority wears a Union Flag T-shirt. In America.
- Brit-Cit Judges in Judge Dredd wear a uniform which is mostly the same as those of the Mega-Cities, except the Stars and Stripes belt buckle is replaced by one with a Union Jack. (And the shoulder eagle becomes a lion.)
- The Elseworlds tale Superman: True Brit told the story of Superman had he landed in the UK rather than America. Colin Clark dons a costume featuring the Union Jack on the chest - and his signature S symbol in the center. At the end of the story he emigrates to America and adopts the suit we're all familiar with.
- Superman villain Manchester Black (being a Gender Flipped Take That at Jenny Sparks) always wore a Union Flag shirt under his trench coat.
- Austin Powers' Shaguar and his Union Flag knickers.
- There is a Finnish James Bond parody where Bond (played by Heikki Kahila who is better known as a newscaster and unknown in America) is wearing Union Jack underpants.
- The opening action sequence of The Spy Who Loved Me ended with James Bond deploying a Union Flag parachute.
- Nigel Gearsley from Cars 2.
- Rose's Union Flag T-shirt in Doctor Who episodes "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances,". Rose ends up hanging from a barrage balloon in the middle of a German air raid and notes that it perhaps wasn't such a good idea.
- Amanda Holden wore a gorgeous dress mimicking the Union Jack to the finale of the 2008 Britain's Got Talent, as well as Geri Halliwell◊.
- Bear Grylls of Man vs. Wild wears Union Jack undies.
- Joey in Friends buys a Union Flag top hat from a souvenir stand in London. The seller tells him that all real Brits wear them. When Chandler asks why he doesn't see anybody else with one on, the man tells him that they're all tourists. Joey seems to accept this.
- Mason from Dead Like Me has boxer shorts with the Union Jack on the backside.
- Tim Brooke-Taylor of The Goodies often wore the flag◊ not only as a waistcoat but flag boxers too.
- CeCe Jones of Shake It Up (an American from Chicago) is fond of wearing the Union Jack on everything from jackets to karate uniforms.
- Apparently, Disney Channel likes this trope. Throughout the run of Lizzie McGuire, Miranda very frequently has the British flag on some piece of apparel she's wearing.
- The Union Jack became somewhat of a symbol of the band Def Leppard thanks to some iconic clothing worn in their early music videos back when MTV actually showed videos. Funny how at that time the band wasn't very popular in their home country of Britain, but they topped the charts...in America.
- During the Tribute to Freddy Mercury concert in 1991 Axl Rose from Guns N' Roses wore a Union Jacket. His Guilty Gear British counterpart Axl Low wears a Union Jack shirt.
- Noel Gallagher has an Epiphone Supernova electric/acoustic with the Union Jack design.
- Singer Lauren Bennett wore a silver and glittery◊ Union Jack swimsuit during the Party Rock Anthem.
- Ginger Spice from the Spice Girls was famous for wearing a Union Jack dress◊. Naturally, during their reunion in 2007 it was the dress she wore for the concert.
- In The Goon Show (China Story), Neddie Seagoon comments: "As I walked the streets, people seemed to know I was British. Was it my bearing? The cut of my denture? Or was it the six-foot floodlit Union Jack wrapped round my head?"
- Doug Swallow was said to wear a shirt with this design in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations, a game that's available in America. Phoenix testified that he was wearing the shirt, but when Doug was killed he was wearing a jacket that covered the shirt. It became a bit of a problem for the case.
- In City of Heroes, the legendary Hero One wore this flag as a cape.
- Steve Fox from the Tekken games, as an Englishman, has one costume featuring Union Flag trunks.
- In SSX 3, Brit Moby Jones' default costume has him wearing a shirt with a dicolored Union Jack on it... and one of his helmets displays the Jolly Roger. But no American flags. One of his later costume options has him shirtless, revealing a giant Union Flag pattern tattooed on his entire upper body. That's one patriotic guy. And a tough one, too; it takes a real man to brave the tundra of Alaska, which is in America, without a shirt on just to show your national pride.
- Billy Kane wore overalls with a Union Jack on them in the original Fatal Fury (and KoF'95), and a sleeveless Union Jack shirt in Fatal Fury 2/Special.
- Axl Low of Guilty Gear wears a Union Jack shirt.
- The Hero in Fable wears Union Flag underpants.
- In the first Guitar Hero game, Johnny Napalm wore a sleeveless shirt whose space was taken up by one half of the Union Jack.
- This flag design◊ originated from a poll to design a version of the flag with a dragon on it to represent Wales; clearly the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann fan-base got hold of it.
- Union Jacks are connected to the British Punk movement and Mod styles in America, so it's considered fashionable in some groups.
- Most Fook Mi and Fook Yu cosplayers including Yaya Han◊ worn a Union Flag belt buckle.
- Old Mini Coopers with white roofs were and are still fit with aftermarket Union Flag decals on top, making the car practically wear a flag on its head. The new Mini can be ordered with a factory-fit Union Flag.
- In New Fifty Two Stormwatch, Jenny Quantum, Singaporean successor to the Union-Flag-wearing Jenny Sparks, wears a hoodie with the crescent-and-stars.
- In A Bit of Fry and Laurie's "Treaty of Westphalia" sketch, the characters representing England, Sweden, and France all wear badges depicting their flags. Hugh Laurie's France wears the Tricolore in a bit of Anachronism Stew.
- In Arthur, King of Time and Space, British characters in the space arc wear badges of their flag if they're a king, or their leige's flag otherwise (usually Arthur, but there are exceptions; Mark's retainers all wear the standard of the Duke of Cornwall, as do Guenevere and Lancelot when they're exiled from court and taken in by Tristram and Isolde.) The Pendragon flag is green and red quarters, a simplification of one of the traditonal arms of Arthur, which quarters the Virgin Mary on a green field with three crowns on a red field. In the baseline arc, Arthur is also shown wearing a tabard in these colours when he was a squire.
- Everyone in Scandinavia and the World wears their flag as a shirt. Except North Korea, who appears draped entirely in his/her(?) flag, leaving only a pair of eyeballs visible.
- Same applies to everyone in Flagland, seeing as they are all countries.
- Also in Polandball, where everyone is a ball with their nation's colors.
- This trope originally had a mention of America in every example, making it a Self-Demonstrating Article. As time went on, this was moved away from but the existing ones haven't been edited out.
- In WWE series, most recently WWE 2K14, the creations mode, including custom championship, allow the option of importing any flag of any country on it.
- Francesco Bernoulli, Miguel Camino, Raoul Caroule, and Rip Clutchgoneski from Cars 2.
- Captain Lichtenstein of the All-Captains Squad in The Superhero Squad Show.
- Unstable Fables: Crystal Tortoise doesn't wear a flag on her head, but her top and skirt are covered in flags from almost every nation in the world.
- National cycling champions usually wear their flag on their shirt during competitions, except for world championships and olympics. Their flag jerseys are customized to match the team's sponsors, and sometimes their colors too.
- Legend has it that the Austrian red-white-red flag was invented after Duke Leopold V of Austria came home from a particularly bloody battle, his previously white shirt now all red except for where his belt had been. He immediately declared his outfit's new colour scheme to be the new flag.