Web Video: Pittsburgh Dad
Pittsburgh Dad is a web-based Domestic Comedy about a dad from Pittsburgh. The series was created by Curt Wootton and Chris Preksta, and stars Wootton as the eponymous dad.Episodes vary in length from one to five minutes, and feature a situation in which the dad reacts to the minutia of life, be it breakfast cereal, the Pittsburgh Steelers, Christmas decorations, even spoiler-laden movie reviews. Episodes are full of local color.The creators state that the show is an Homage to classic sitcoms such as All in the Family.Episodes can be viewed here.
- Abusive Parents: Jeffy's (Dad's son Brandon's best friend) are implied to be borderline abusive/neglectful parents. The inordinate amount of time he spends at Pittsburgh Dad's house (Even when Brandon isn't home) seems to confirm this.
- Catch Phrase:
- "Ah, jeez!"
- "You know what's next right? X." Usually X is a bug Dad hates.
- Caustic Critic: Rips the first Twilight movie and The Hunger Games to shreds. Is a little more charitable with The Avengers.
- The Ghost: All other characters are people off-screen the dad reacts to.
- Hypocritical Humor:Pittsburgh Dad: Hey Simmons, quit that trash-talkin'. I remember when we were in high school, you struck out in kickball. Loser!
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: In the recent episode Jeffy, Dad notices Jeffy, who has been outside wandering around after being left home alone by his parents. He offers him some ice cream and seems to genuinely care about him (Though he tells him to come in through the garage).
- Laugh Track: Added for stylistic reasons. According to Word of God, they tried it without a laugh track and the dialogue just came across as mean-spirited. Still, some episodes (like the movie reviews) are done with no laugh track.
- No Name Given: Thus far, the main character hasn't been given a name.
- Only Sane Man: The main character certainly considers himself to be this, and may very well be.
- Overprotective Dad: Gives his 14-year-old daughter the third degree when he finds out that she's going on a date.
- Perma Stubble
- Product Placement: The Eat 'n' Park episode.
- Serious Business: The Steelers. God help you if you're a Ravens fan.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Ravens fan next-door neighbor Tom.
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist
- Wearing a Flag on Your Head: Discussed. Dad comments on how Magic Mike's underwear is, in his opinion, a desecration of the American flag.