The AnimalDavid Bautista
was one of the top-tier wrestlers
under the name Batista
between 2002 and 2010.
During his time in WWE, he was part of the stable Evolution
, and became a 4 time World Heavyweight Champion
, 2 time WWE Champion
, 1 time Tag Team Championnote
, and 3 time World Tag Champion.note
Since his time in the ring, he has also done other works and media, including MMA
and a role as "Brass Body" in The Man with the Iron Fists
, and he will have a role in the Marvel movie Guardians of the Galaxy
as Drax the Destroyer.
You can learn more about his career at That Other Wiki
"It's time to unleash the tropes":
- Ambiguously Brown: His father's Filipino, while his mother's Greek.
- Arch-Enemy: Rey Mysterio Jr, John Cena.
- Awesome McCoolname: His daughter's name is Athena, as in the Greek goddess.
- Badass Grandpa: Yes, he is a Real Life grandfather.
- Bald of Evil: As Leviathan.
- Big Eater: As shown when he was a guest judge in an episode of Iron Chef America. He was apprehensive at first when the secret ingredient turned out to be snails, but he pretty much devoured the food with great gusto once judging came. Some of the dishes were even served to him on bigger plates than those of the other judges.
- The Brute: This was his role as a member of Triple H's Evolution stable
- But Not Too Foreign
- Chewing the Scenery: After turning heel, Batista started putting his propensity for ham to good use.
- Cool Old Guy: He was already in his thirties when he debuted in WWE. Of course, it helped that his longtime tag-team partner, Ric Flair, was a Badass Grandpa at that point.
- Cool Shades: Tends to wear these when he's not wrestling.
- Dirty Old Man: Repeatedly accused of hitting on the younger Divas, even if they were already seeing someone (and when he was married).
- Duct Tape for Everything: At Extreme Rules 2010, Batista lost his Last Man Standing match against John Cena by getting his legs duct-taped around a ring post.
- Fallen Hero: During his last heel run. Emphasized during his feud with John Cena at WrestleMania 26.
- Fan Nickname: Botchtista.
- Former Teen Rebel: Admitted that he was a Delinquent during his youth.
- Genius Bruiser
- Genre Savvy: One of the key points of his character.
- The Giant
- Glass Cannon
- Humiliation Conga: The months after WrestleMania XXVI to his retirement could count as this right up to his last night. Also might qualify as a Downer Ending.
- I Have Many Names: Kahn, Leviathan, "Deacon" Batista, Batista.
- Large Ham: His final heel run, to the point that he would only cut his in-ring promos after demanding that a spotlight be shone on him and only him.
- Last Name Basis
- Our Demons Are Different: Leviathan was summoned from somewhere underwater (see Shout-Out below) by the Disciples of Synn and had Cute Little Fangs.
- Popularity Power
- Power Stable:
- (in OVW): The Disciples of Synn
- (in WWE): Evolution
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: STOOP! THAT! LOW!
- Red Baron: "The Animal"; (as Leviathan): "The Demon of the Deep"
- The Rival and Worthy Opponent: He and John Cena are both these to each other ever since the 2005 Royal Rumble. After Batista's Face-Heel Turn, he became the Rival Turned Evil in their WrestleMania 26 match.
- Rogues Gallery: JBL, Edge, Kane, Mark Henry, The Undertaker, Chris Jericho and John Cena.
- Screaming Warrior
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here: After repeatedly failing to beat John Cena for the world title, and getting injured in a match, he quit WWE. But that was only on Kayfabe, because he had later stated that he didn't like the direction in which the company was going.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Often came out in suits when not wrestling. This was so common a fan nickname for him was "Dapper Dave."
- Shout-Out/Homage: The OVW vignette where the Disciples of Synn summoned Leviathan from the deep was based directly on Kevin Sullivan summoning the Purple Haze ("Maniac" Mark Lewin) in Florida in the 1980s.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- 10-Minute Retirement: On the record to saying he would like one more match/brief run with the WWE before taking an executive role in the company.
- Too Dumb to Live: His 2009 Face-Heel Turn? Yeah, it basically happened because Batista apparently assumed that being in a Fatal Four Way for the World Heavyweight Championship with Rey Mysterio Jr as one of his opponents meant that Rey wouldn't actually try to win and would just help him. Especially when Rey later admitted that if Batista had just asked him to help him, he would have. Then again, it's Insane Troll Logic, which is standard operating procedure for most heels.
- Underwear of Power
- We Used to Be Friends: With Rey Mysterio Jr. (See above for reason)
- Wearing a Flag on Your Head: Has the Philippine and Greek flags tattooed on his left biceps, as a tribute to his mixed heritage (see Ambiguously Brown above).