Wrestling: Eddie Kingston
(b. 1981) is an American Professional Wrestler
from Yonkers, NY
best known for his work in CHIKARA
and Ring of Honor
as Eddie Kingston.
He debuted in 2002 as a member of the second class to graduate from the CHIKARA Wrestle Factory. He was introduced as 1/2 of the tag team the Wildcards with BlackJack Marciano. They feuded with UltraZERO (UltraMantis
and Mr. ZERO) before going on to feud with F.I.S.T. (Icarus and Gran Akuma.) The team's run ended when Marciano retired in 2004. In 2005, Kingston started his feud with Chris Hero
, which would cross over into CZW
and IWA Mid-South. He has gone through a series of face and heel turns during his career. He has also competed for Pro Wrestling Guerilla
(when it was Wrestling Superstars Uncensored) and many other independent promotions. Along with being the CHIKARA Grand Champion, he has also been a 1x CZW World Heavyweight Champion
, a 2x CZW World Tag Team Champion
(1x w/Joker as BLK-OUT and 1x w/Drake Younger) and a 1x holder of Larry Sweeney
's ICW/ICWA Tex-Arkana Television Title
He is in no way connected to Kofi Kingston
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"These Tropes are the Last of a Dying Breed":
- The Ace: Ever since turning tecnico to fight the BDK.
- Arch-Enemy: Chris Hero, Claudio Castagnoli, Larry Sweeney
- Badass: He's so badass, he manages to easily avert Badbutt in a family-friendly promotion. He won the Torneo Cibernetico between Team CHIKARA and the BDK at The Dark Ciberknetico by pinning the BDK's monster Tursas, making Kingston the first person who had even knocked Tursas off his feet.
- Bald of Awesome/Bald of Evil: He has been clean-shaven at certain times in his career.
- Bash Brothers: with Mike Quackenbush, Homicide, Sabian, Ruckus, Joker
- Be Careful What You Wish For: He made his singles debut for PWS at PWS Revelation on June 24, 2007. In his pre-match promo, he said that whoever his opponent was would be "getting put down." Samoa Joe answered. Kingston lost.
- Blood Knight: Despite describing Chris Hero as everything wrong with the wrestling business, and expressing murderous intentions toward him, Kingston admits to having fun fighting with Hero and looking forward to seeing him again in ROH. For Chikara fans, 2007 to 2010 are noted as his best showing of these tendencies.
- Breakup Breakout: From the Wildcards.
- Brooklyn Rage: Well, like Tommy Dreamer (see below), Yonkers isn't part of New York City, but the rage is there.
- Calling Your Attacks: "Back fist!"
- Cassandra Truth: Spent all of 2009 insisting that Claudio Castagnoli was the bad guy, then was proven right when he turned on Quackenbush as part of the riot that marked the BDK's formation at the end of Three-Fisted Tales.
- Cluster F-Bomb: In his Loser Leaves CZW match with Chris Hero at CZW Out With The Old, In With The New, April 7, 2007, as Kingston was repeatedly calling Hero a "motherfucker," saying, "I fucking dare you," etc.
- Combat Commentator: Served as one for CZW
- Determinator: A major part of his tecnico gimmick since 2010 has been the fact that he will not give up. Extends to real life as well, as he refuses to take time off to rehab some pretty serious knee injuries as long as he holds the Grand Championship.
- Enemy Mine: Briefly with Chris Hero for the sake of CZW's campaign against Ring of Honor. Once it was over though, they'd both wind up in Ring of Honor, against each other in a fight without honor.
- Expy/Fanboy: Of/for Tommy Dreamer. At CHIKARA Aniversario Elf, May 23, 2010, Kingston defeated Dreamer by DQ when evil BDK referee Derek Sabato disqualified Dreamer for grabbing his shirt. Then the CHIKARA Campeones de Parejas (Tag Team Champions) Claudio Castagnoli and Ares ran in to save Sabato from Dreamer piledriving him. This led to Dreamer and Kingston fighting together against the BDK. Afterwards, Dreamer acknowledged how Kingston used to come see him wrestle, and Kingston said that Dreamer was his inspiration to get out of Yonkers and become a wrestler. This led to Dreamer and Kingston teaming up, unsuccessfully, against Castagnoli and Ares at Chikarasaurus Rex: King of Show on July 25th. At High Noon on November 13, 2011, Dreamer was in Kingston's corner when he defeated Mike Quackenbush in the finals of the 12 Large: Summit where Kingston became the inaugural CHIKARA Grand Champion.
- Face Fault: After taking Kamala's corner splash during their match at PWS Firestorm II, December 6, 2008.
- Facial Markings: In 2005.
- Finishing Move: Backfist to the Future, American D (Masato Tanaka's Sliding D)
- Friendly Enemy: Subverted, Kingston likes Kevin Steen but warned that if they were to fight he'd beat Steen like he didn't know him.
- Hypocritical Humor
- He was on commentary at CHIKARA Running in the Red, November 13, 2005, which opened with an atomicos (8-man tag) match pitting Icarus/UltraMantis Black/Hydra/Dr. Cheung vs. Lancelot (Lance Steel and Lance Steel), Angel de Fuego and the debuting Dragon Dragon.
: "Dragon Dragon, and it's a huge dragon! Ladies and gentlemen, we have had a munk, a skunk, a bear, a lion I believe, a box
, a guy named Sabian
, and now a Dragon Dragon."
- It qualifies as this because that same night King and Sabian teamed up to defeat Cheech and Cloudy.
- Jobber: Albeit, a high profile one given he was one of the CZW invaders but Kingston did not win a match in Ring Of Honor for three years until he finally defeated Sami Callihan, at which point he finally felt like he belonged in the promotion.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor
- Not So Similar: At Ring Of Honor's 10th Anniversary, he was initially flattered when Kevin Steen said they were cut out of the same cloth and offered to form a tag team with him, up until Steen talked about destroying the whole business, starting with Ring Of Honor and Chikara. Kingston would ultimately get a decisive victory against Kevin Steen while defending Chikara's grand title the next year, at a Chikara event no less.
- Power Stable
- BLK-OUT with Sabian, Ruckus, Joker
- Red Cafe's Crew: with Facade, Daemon Slugga and The Spanish Announce Team
- (in CZW): The Suicide Kings
- (in IWA Mid-South): The Fannin Family
- Power Trio: The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen with Giant Tiger and Sexxxy Eddy
- Real Song Theme Tune
- Jay-Z's "Blueprint2"
- Kanye West's "Diamonds from Sierra Leone"
- T.I.'s "What You Know About That"
- "Money Making Blueprint" by DJ Sonic
- Red Baron: "The King of Diamonds," "The Last of a Dying Breed," "The War King"
- The Rival: Hallowicked, when King was attempting to prove that he, not Hallowicked, was the best student from their graduating class from the CHIKARA Wrestle Factory.
- Rudo Tecnico Revolving Door: Started in CHIKARA as a Rudo, became a Tecnico in 2005, went back to being a Rudo in 2007, turned Tecnico in early 2010 to fight the Bruderschaft de Kreuzes, and started gradually turning rudo some time in late 2012, going full rudo while Chikara was closed from May 2013-May 2014.
- Squash Match: He flattened Sal Rinauro on the September 7, 2009 episode of ROH on HDNet in a mere 10 seconds.
- Tag Team
- The Wildcards, with Black Jack Marciano
- Toxic Trio, with Marciano and Jigsaw
- The Roughnecks, with Brodie Lee and Grizzly Redwood
- Un4given, with B-Boy
- (in ROH): Outlaw Inc., with Homicide.
- The Street Kings, with Monsta Mack
- Token Evil Teammate: His Tecnico turn in 2010 had more to do with wanting to fight Claudio Castagnoli and the BDK than actually being a tecnico. He did eventually turn tecnico for real, though. He also ended up affiliated with the tecnicos by default in the 2005 Cibernetico.
- Tournament Arc
- Beat Drake Younger to win IWA M-S's Revolution Strong Style Tournament in 2006
- Defeated Mike Quakenbush in the finals of Chikara's 12 Large Summit of 2011
- Wearing a Flag on Your Pants: The Puerto Rican flag, since he's half-Irish, half-Puerto Rican, thus he's something of a mix of Fighting Irish and Spicy Latino.
- The World Needs A Hero: He was still a rudo when the BDK formed at the end of Three-Fisted Tales on November 22, 2009. However, when they were all standing together and right before Ares instructed Carpenter Ant (Pinkie Sanchez) to unmask, some people in the crowd were chanting, "We want Kingston!," as if he was the only one who could solve this problem.
- Would Hit a Girl: Eliminated Sara Del Rey and Daizee Haze in quick succession via Backfist (SDR at the 30:05 mark, Haze at the 30:14 mark) during the Torneo Cibernetico between Team CHIKARAnote and the BDKnote at The Dark Ciberknetico, October 23, 2010. He Defeated Amazing Kong in a non-title match at Just Shadows in the Fog.
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: At CHIKARA The Mint Condition, February 27, 2012, he cut a promo on Tursas where he said that Tursas was in trouble because he was angry and he's at his "most deadliest" when he's angry.