James Cox, better known by his ring name "Cowboy" James Storm,
is an American professional wrestler currently employed by TNA
. He is a former 5x TNA World Tag Team Champion
and a former TNA World Heavyweight Champion
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"Sorry, about your damn tropes!":
- The Alcoholic/Drunken Master: Well, he did ride a beer cooler to the ring, and he still carries at least one bottle almost everywhere he goes.
- Amazon Chaser: In direct contrast to Bobby Roode.
- Arch-Enemy: Triple X (Christopher Daniels/Low Ki/Elix Skipper), Daniels/AJ Styles, Rhino, LAX, Team 3-D, the New Church, Gunner.
- Badass Beard: Usually covering almost all his face but not particularly thick
- Badass Longcoat: His entire career in TNA, with the exception of most of Beer Money's run.
- Bash Brothers: A frequent tag specialist, Storm has held the NWA/TNA tag team titles with four different partners.
- Berserk Button: Cheating in drinking contests, spiking drinks, people who try to pass off non alcoholic beverage as the real thing, messing with his family...
- Boring Invincible Hero
- A complaint of the IWC. Not so much that he's invincible, but Storm's "drunken cowboy" character to many fans has grown stale and they feel he needs a reboot, not unlike his former partner Bobby Roode, who went from "rich tycoon" to "It Factor".
- Then Storm going from "drunken cowboy" to "evil redneck crusader" at the turning point of his problems with Gunner, making him less boring. This makes him less boring but continual clean wins over baby faces have caused some to see as too invincible.
- Braids of Action: A braided ponytail.
- Breaking Speech: Has had fun giving Sanada these in order to break the young Japanese wrestler down, telling him that The Great Muta (Sanada's mentor) was a fraud whose ways were turning Sanada into a loser (Sanada had dropped his X-Division title back to Austin Aries and failed to get it back). He was able to successfully get to Sanada, who would turn against Muta and become a part of his "Revolution".
- Breakup Breakout: The more successful member of his previous team with Chris Harris (AKA Braden Walker), America's Most Wanted. Subverted with Beer Money; while it can be said that Bobby Roode has been more successful since breaking up their duo, Storm has continued on being a driven character.
- Buxom Is Better: One of the reasons he enjoyed Jacqueline's company is because she's stacked. Seeing her drunk off her ass and pouring beer down Traci Brooks' shirt made his day. He also made it clear that unlike Jacqueline, Traci's "gifts" were about the only reason he had any time for her.
- Catch Phrase
- "Sorry, about your damn luck!"
- And with Beer Money:
James Storm: BEER!
Bobby Roode: MONEY!
- Cool Hat: Dropped with his latest Face-Heel Turn.
- Crossover: Unfortunately, then TNA World Heavyweight Champion Bobby Roode was unable to make it to the World Wrestling League's 2014 Navidad Corporativa event. Fortunately for the fans, perhaps not for La Artilleria Pesada, TNA World Tag Team Champions James Storm and Abyss could. It looked like they had taken out Lighting, but despite heavy bleeding he managed to continue the match, he and Thunder battling The Revolution to a no contest.
- Dance Sensation: Impact Wrestling was infected by the Harlem Shake and not even James Storm had any resistance to it.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Great Muta apparently disrespected Storm somehow when they were both in WCW, so Storm's decided to welcome Muta to TNA by verbally degrading him to his student Sanada, inflating the pressure Sanada felt he was under to succeed under Muta's directive, and turning Sanada against Muta.
- Expy: Considered to be one of both "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and Shawn Michaels. His "Revolution" gimmick is called out as one of Bray Wyatt, but he himself claims it's more inspired by Kevin Sullivan. Seeing as how he's a vengeful crusading grandmaster and not an evil spirit possession, the man has a point.
- Good Is Dumb: Dumb enough to put his number 1 contendership on the line just because Bobby Roode made a comment about his daughter. He lost.
- Grievous Bottley Harm: He "blinded" Chris Harris by hitting him with a beer bottle.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Remember when he turned on Chris Harris and ended AMW by doing this? Beer Money ended the other way around.
- Jerkass: As a heel.
- Jerkass Has a Point
- Storm complaining about Gunner stealing the World Title case and throwing in the towel during Storm's tournament match with Bobby Roode, which took place the night after Roode ambushed Storm in a bar. While Storm really has no room to argue on losing out on the "Feast or Fired" briefcase (Gunner low-shotted him and took the case, which had the World Title shot) since it was every man for themselves, he does bring up that he's been in bar fights before and doesn't always wrestle at 100% the following night. Plus, he specifically told Gunner not to get involved in his street fight with Roode, and yet there he was throwing in the towel.
- He also accused Gunner of sabotaging him by telling Roode where he was that night so that Roode would jump him. You'd think this is Insane Troll Logic, since he has no evidence of this and it's probably more likely Roode took an educated guess based on being his tag team partner for 3½ years, but stranger things have happened in wrestling.
- Turns out, the latter wasn't the case. Storm realized how jealous and bitter he appeared when his daughter asked him why he was mad at Gunner, so he decided to support Gunner's rise to the top. Only to screw him out of the world title at the last second, becoming a vicious and hate-filled redneck avenger of his own cause.
- Papa Wolf: Messing with his daughter has serious consequences. Just ask Bobby Roode, who faced serious consequences like ...a World Heavyweight Title shot?context
- The Power of Hate: James Storm is clearly at his best when he's fighting someone or something he hates, so once his character started getting stale, TNA decided to run with it and turn him into a heel chock full of bitter piss and vinegar to go around.
- Power Stable:
- Planet Jarrett
- Fourtune-> Fortune
- The Revolution with Seiya Sanada, Manik, Abyss and Khoya
- R'n'B Security with Cassidy Riley, Chris Harris and Chris the Bambikiller
- Red Baron: "The Tennessee Cowboy"
- The Resenter: He harassed Seiya Sanada for weeks, calling him a failure to The Great Muta, shame to his country, daring him not to choke, the like. Then Storm attacked Sanada when he continued to ignore Storm's taunts. Turns out James Storm did not like the fact the rest of the TNA locker room regarded the Great Muta as a legend, insisting that he is the legend in TNA, and was taking it out on Sanada since Muta was not in reach.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: When in America's Most Wanted he went on one against LAX after Hernandez border-tossed Gail Kim. He also went on one against Mr. Anderson for using his offer for a friendly drink to ambush him, as well as both Bobby Roode and Gunner for costing him world title opportunities.
- Shout-Out: Does the last name of Storm and the Last Call Superkick, remind anyone of a certain Lance Storm?
- Spear Counterpart: To Jacqueline during her "Miss Tennessee" and TNA runs.
- Spiteful Spit: He may love his beer but is not above spitting it on those who spite him.
- Tag Team: (Unofficially) America's Most Wanted with Cassidy Riley. (Officially) America's Most Wanted with Chris Harris. Beer Money Inc with Bobby Roode. Gunstorm with Gunner. The Revolution with Abyss via Feast or Fired briefcase.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Has had this with Bobby Roode in recent one-off Beer Money reunions.
- Weapon of Choice: Beer bottle.
- Wrestling Doesn't Pay: For a small period his character had the makings of a Bad-Guy Bar called "Storm's Bar & Grille" in the works, with Bobby Roode hanging around the place. Knowing Roode's character at the time, one could've implied that he'd made an investment into Storm's venture. This idea would be dropped when they became Beer Money, however.
"Sorry about YOUR DAMN LUCK!"