"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."A common recurring thread in fiction is the idea that the hero, for various reasons, will engage in stupid actions largely because it is the "heroic", sometimes idealistic thing to do. This index catalogues the tropes that manifest this phenomenon. Contrast with Good Is Not Dumb. This trope is not to be confused with Dumb Is Good.
— Dark Helmet, Spaceballs
- All-Loving Hero (in that cynical writers will portray him as naive)
- Brains: Evil; Brawn: Good
- Did You Actually Believe?
- Dudley Do-Right Stops to Help
- Good Cannot Comprehend Evil
- Failure Hero
- False Innocence Trick
- Hero Ball
- Honor Before Reason
- Idiot Hero
- I Lied
- Love Freak (in that cynical writers will portray him as naive)
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero (What this results in)
- Political Correctness Gone Mad
- Redemption Demotion (as some villains inexplicably become weaker and/or stupider when they make a Heel–Face Turn. Used to go by this name before the name change.)
- Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids! (when one characters calls another out on this)
- Stupid Good (This as a character trait)
- Unhand Them, Villain!
- You Said You Would Let Them Go