A local softball legend, Mickie Laree James
(born on August 31, 1979 in Montpelier, Virginia) is also an American valet and country music singer turned professional wrestler, trained by the staff of KYDA and The Funkin' Conservatory. She has had multiple runs in the NWA
, particularly in former member TNA
, where she is a three-time TNA Knockouts Champion
as well as a run in WWE between 2005 and 2010 where she is a former 5x WWE Women's Champion
and a 1x WWE Divas' Champion
. She has also competed, usually under the name Alexis Laree, for CHIKARA
, Ring of Honor
and has been a SCW Diva Champion (2001), FCW Ladies Champion (2002), CSWF Women's Champion (2003), Pro Wrestling Universal Women's Champion (2003), NWA Cyberspace Women's Champion (2003), ICW Junior Heavyweight Champion (2003), DCW Women's Champion (2003) and more in many other independent promotions.That Other Wiki
has a rundown
on her life and career.
"Hardcore Country Tropes!":
- Aborted Arc
- Whatever Mickie James's history was with Beth Phoenix wasn't revealed as Beth was sidelined with a broken jaw and was never reinserted in the storyline.
- Her heel turn and feud with Velvet Sky looked to be aborted when Velvet left the company. She came back, however, and the story restarted after a while.
- A Friend in Need: Back when they were friends anyway, Alexis Laree saved Jillian Hall from then WWE women's champion Molly Holly and Nikita Fink, and ended up putting an end to Jillian and Nikita's feud.
- Ascended Fangirl: Her first storyline with Trish. (Incidentally this is the real life story between Mickie and Valentina)
- Badass: Holds the USA record for the number of championships won by a woman in major wrestling promotions, is the only woman to have won the Women's Championship, WWE divas championship and Knockout championship and she's the only woman Raven deemed worthy to compete in his Clockwork Orange House Of Fun match.
- Badass Native: A member of the Powhatan tribe (located in Virginia).
- Bash Brothers: Alexis Laree had Joey Matthews, Christian York, Julio Dinero, AJ Styles and Amazing Red. Raven through his brainwashing and CM Punk. Mickie had Kofi Kingston in WWE.
- Bored With Insanity: Unlike Victoria, her change in behavior was addressed. Specifically, a single day of Trish acting the way Mickie had been most of the year made Mickie realize she had lost herself in obsession. But a lot of fans still didn't like it and considered her to have degenerated into a Trish Stratus clone.
- Braids, Beads and Buckskins: Played up her Native American heritage in both WWE and TNA.
- Cain and Abel: Alexis Laree was the Able to Valentina's Cain (despite what Valentina had to say). The feud was started by Valentina's envy over big sister's success.
- Celebrity Endorsement: Eventually got a deal with Dr. Pepper.
- Celebrity Resemblance: To Alyssa Milano. The Miz compared her to Rachel Ray to emphasize how much better looking he thought Maryse was.
- Chain Pain: Discussed when Mickie James laid out challenger to her Covey Pro Women's Championship Jessie Belle Smothers, who had hidden a chain in her shirt, causing the ref to suspect Mickie had used it. Jessie rolled up Mickie while tried to explain what had really happened.
- Chairman of the Brawl: Subverted in the United Wrestling Federation when Mistress Belmot threw a chair at James, who simply unfolded and sat on it.
- Comedic Spanking: To Mistress Belmont, who was being a particularly bad sport.
- Corpsing: Paul London/Santino Marella has burst on the scene spouting something so inane the rest of the locker room can but stare in confusion, anger or revulsion...except little Alexis/Mickie. Watch the camera frantically pan away!
- Costume Copycat: It started out subtle but then she started looking really like Trish, as part of her apparent Sanity Slippage.
- Country Music: Dived into after leaving WWE, her theme "hardcore country" being self done.
- Cute Bruiser: Especially with the childish persona she displayed in BBOW. She may have been kind and bubbly but pushing her buttons may lead to getting one of the best punches in the business. It remained, as Mickie James knocked out Winter during a 2011 TNA live event in San Francisco.
- Dare to Be Badass: On the August 25th 2011 TNA Impact, Mickie reached the peak of her frustration with Winter's tricks, announced her intentions to leave everything in the ring and dared Winter to see if she could keep up. That Mickie wore a new head piece and long coat for added effect made it all the better when despite Angelina Love's efforts, this ploy worked.
- Dead Star Walking: On Psych episode Lethal Weapon.
- Dirty Coward: For her 2013 Heel turn, she started doing everything she could to avoid getting into a rematch with Velvet Sky for the Knockouts Title, when she had previously treated Velvet as a Worthy Opponent.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: "Hardcore Country," in TNA. The title is also her Red Baron.
- Emotional Bruiser: She cried more than any of the other WWE divas, which was mocked by Beth Phoenix and a source of entertainment for Laycool. Neither was without consequence as they both had title reigns ended by Mickie.
- Enemy Mine: Beth Phoenix and Passion joined forces to take Alexis Laree out of OVW. Later, Passion and Alexis put their differences aside to fight Jillian Hall and her bodyguard, Melissa Coates.
- Expy: Has one in Psycho!AJ Lee. The only real difference is that AJ's gimmick has actually managed to get over as heel, in comparison to Mickie who was never booed in WWE. As far as angles themselves, Victoria eventually decided and set out to prove Mickie was an inferior imitation of herself.
- Face-Heel Turn: In TNA it was teased a few times but it was ages before she finally turned.
- Finishing Move: Mickie James added a crossed legged STF to her arsenal during her second TNA run. Alexis Laree had an inverted DDT up until she went into OVW and began to develop her five moves of doom.
- Five Moves of Doom: Jumping clothesline, Thesz press, back elbow, corner headscissors, implant DDT. Initially most of these moves, among some others, were occasionally used or at least recently at the time used by Trish and Mickie made them her signature moves, to show she was borrowing from her idol but adapting her own style. She later settled on those for her sequence.
- Foe Romance Subtext: With "The Giant Killer" Mike Mondo, which Alexis recognized and was disgusted by.
- For Your Own Good: Alexis didn't mind Valentina being in SCW or TNA too much but objected to her joining Women's Extreme Wrestling, which was full of nudity and garbage wrestling.
- Gainaxing: Have you seen her entrance?
- Genki Girl: Discussed by the OVW commentary team who said the last thing Alexis needed was caffeine.
- Gimmick Matches
- A strange example, boxing matches were practically Alexis Laree's signature gimmick match BBOW. In a more straightforward example, she wrestled Riptide in a ladder match.
- During the lead up to Lita's retirement match, Mickie James kept being given one sided stipulations to wrestle under, having to face Lita while having an arm tied behind her back, her feet shackled together or a bag over her head.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot
- When she kissed Trish under the mistletoe, gaining an Earth-shattering pop from the audience.
- Invoked when with the goodnight kiss/of death and earlier on in Ring Of Honor with Allison Danger, who kissed her both to taunt all the guys who liked Alexis Laree but wouldn't be getting any and Alexis herself for her optimistic ideal of the promotion. But then Allison decided she liked it began stalking Alexis for more.
- Glass Jaw Referee: La Rosa Negra was allowed to use referees as weapons or shields in her mission to keep the Pro Wrestling Syndicate's "Bombshells" championship away from Missy Sampson, by order of the commissioner himself. Mickie James wouldn't play along though.
- Groin Attack
- While in Ring Of Honor she caught The Christopher Street Connection's Mace in the balls when he decided to titillate Allison Danger by sticking his crotch in her face. He went down pretty quickly after that and Alexis still maintained the code of honor by shaking his hand.
- Did this to Trish Stratus at WrestleMania 22. However, unlike every time this had been done before in pro wrestling, this was meant as sexual, topped off by her licking in between her fingers to a huge pop from the crowd. It was edited out of the DVD release because Vince McMahon just didn't like it.
- I Have Many Names: Besides Alexis Laree, Mickie James has also gone by Vickie Adams and Super Ball
- I Have the High Ground: Defeated Tara on the December 9, 2010 TNA Impact with a Lou Thesz Press from the top of a cage!
- Improvised Weapon: When Mickie's chances against Lita looked hopeless, since she could not keep up with her feet shackled, D-Generation X slipped her an over sized sausage to level the playing field.
- Informed Attribute
- A sympathetic example of Hollywood Pudgy but fans were pissed because it reminded them of all the women who weren't treated sympathetically, such as Molly Holly.
- This was also an example of Ripped from the Headlines. Numerous fans on the internet had been calling her fat for ages, among other things. When she was being teased by the Miz, Mickie retorted that he was always using the net to get his insults.
- I Was Young and Needed the Money, Old Shame: Her explanation and feelings over her multiple, explicit nude shoots while trying to make it in wrestling. In Ring Of Honor, this was her opinion about a lot of promotions she had previously worked for, being so happy to finally be able to show what she could do in serious company with a code of honor. Then Allison Danger subjected her to a spanking. This lead to Alexis cutting ties with Julio Dinero, who did not seem to understand why this made her so upset all of the sudden.
- Kick Chick: In her WWE run Mickie was known for a spinning back kick, a reverse spin kick and Trish's Chick Kick (Mick Kick when she used it)
- Kiss of Death: One of her sort of finishing moves, it's really the capoeira kick that comes after the kiss that is the finishing move.
- Icebreaker in TNA, prior to singing her own song anyway.
- Obsession in WWE and WSU
- Loony Fan/Psycho Lesbian/Stalker with a Crush: To Trish after her Face-Heel Turn.
- Loser Leaves Town: Beat Nikita Fink in a loser leaves OVW match.
- Made of Iron/Determinator/Implacable Man
- She took a few bumps that had or would have put others out, such as a fall on her neck from the ring she took in a falls count anywhere match that lead to a rushed finish with Melina as the champion...but Mickie proved to be not too injured to continue. Melina stated Mickie nearly killed herself in that match and called her crazy for continuing to wrestle instead of taking time off for her neck. Tazz pointed out this trait when Winter dumped her onto concrete in TNA.
- At TNA Lockdown 2011, April 17, 2011, she Squashed Madison Rayne for the TNA Knockouts Title in a Hair vs. Hair Cage Match in 34 SECONDS with her arm in a sling! It was put in a sling after being run over with a motorcycle!
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: This troper can personally confirm this. I've met Mickie twice and she was very nice. However she is a bit of a Deadpan Snarker at times.
- Mini Dress Of Power: Much like Melina, she debuted in a skirt and continued to wear skirts for a little while into her WWE career before deciding she'd be taken more seriously in shorts or tights. In later TNA runs she got a little blue skirt with white stars, which went nice with a red top, red boots and a little gold.
- Ms. Fanservice: Well conditioned, flexible, strong and willing to wear very little clothing. That's before one looks at some of her personally specific antics.
- Nice Cap: Added one on her entrance outfit around 2008-2010.
- Panty Shot: In her early outfits.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: She is billed at 5'4", though this troper has seen her in person twice and believes she may be even shorter. I'm 6'1" and she barely reached my shoulder...in heels. (I'm on the right.) but she'll kick your ass back to it's roots.
- Power Stable: (as Alexis Laree):
- Power Trio: The Amazing Phenomenon with AJ Styles and The Amazing Red
- Put on a Bus: To TNA, following an incident on an overseas tour. Ironically the incident in question involved a bus.note WWE.com eventually came up with an explanation for Mickie's departure months later in an article where they said LayCool and their taunting caused her to have a breakdown and eventually leave.
- Real Song Theme Tune
- The Rival
- Candie was first a rival valet, then a rival wrestler. Eventually they became a tag team. She had the same dynamic with Dawn Marie, whom never became her partner but did face her in some of her favorite WWE matches (dark matches, unfortunately)
- When asked at Glory, Alexis named Persephone and Sumie Sakai to be her toughest foes but bared no animosity toward them. Didn't have the positive attitude about Persephone until Simply Luscious pulled an Eviler Than Thou at Ring Of Honor though.
- Lexie Fyfe thought of Laree as worse than a rival, believing herself to have been personally wronged by Alexis and the officials of Florida Championship Wrestling, but Alexis did not seem to know how strong that grudge was when she accepted the PGWA's offer for a title shot at Fyfe.
- Kara Slice was once her most hated enemy, but the two eventually learned to coexist and even managed the same guy (Julio Dinero)
- Melina Perez in WWE. The two were enemies from the start, there were times Mickie would try to be civil but Melina was unreceptive up until Mickie put her health on the line to protect Melina from Victoria and Natalya. Then they were the best of friends but that did not keep them from ending up as opponents every so often.
- Speaking of Victoria, she was a given since Mickie started out as an ally of Trish Stratus. Trish theoretically becoming a "common enemy" just made them fight for a shot at her. Victoria\Tara were usually more of a distraction to Mickie though, only being her main enemy once.
- Prior to WWE Alexis was rivals with Jillian Hall ever since she won a $1000 prize match in OVW and post WWE it continued in National Wrestling Superstars(and elsewhere) as Hall went out of her way to show up Mickie James and undermine her music career.
- Shout-Out: Frequently kips up after doing moves, something her idol Lita did often as well. In her feud with Trish Stratus, using the Stratusfaction and the "Mick Kick" were intentional examples.
- Smooch of Victory: Parodied at a TNA live event where she and Earl Hebner nearly passed out during a kiss celebrating her defeat of Winter.
- Spikes of Villainy: Wore Road Warrior gear when she went bad, during her SCW and BBOW runs.
- Squash Match:
- At ROH Epic Encounter, April 12, 2003, she defeated Ariel (Ana Otero) in 35 seconds. Since Becky Bayless was just a manager, theirs likely would have ended even faster if the entirety of Special K had not put the boots to Alexis while the referee's back was turned. Still, pinned Bayless in under two minutes.
- In OVW she pinned Ms. Blue of Bolin Services in 38 seconds.
- She seems to do this at least once everywhere she goes. Along with the TNA example under Made of Iron, at Royal Rumble 2010, January 31, 2010, she flattened Alpha Bitch Michelle McCool for the WWE Women's Title in 20 seconds! This was followed by Mickie and the other Divas joining forces to shove Michelle's face into a cake.
- Stalker Shrine: Images of Mickie James cackling over one were revealed after she turned on Trish Stratus for winning a tag team match without tagging her on Saturday Night Main Event.
- Stepford Smiler: Her heel turn in TNA revealed she was a Type C, not that her being mad was unprecedented by then.
- Tweener: To Draco in Leather Pants levels, this was the worst she ever got in WWE. Mickie was never able to get lasting heel heat, not even after she abducted Trish's protegee, busted Trish open when Trish tried to make the save, then licked the blood off her hands. Even during the ECW vs WWE Head to Head TV special when the rest of the WWE side was booed, she was cheered against Jazz. Her gimmicks as Alexis Laree did manage to get over as a heel though, as well as her heel run in TNA against Velvet Sky. Even during that time though, she got as many wild cheers as she did boos in AAA.
- Under The Mistletoe: To sneak a kiss on Trish.
- We Used to Be Friends: Alexis Laree and Jillian Hall were tag team partners in OVW prior to Jillian losing a prize money match and getting a botched boob job which (somehow) damaged her psyche. Alexis tried to stage an intervention but got beat up for it.
- Woman Child: Alexis Laree had her moments, such as in BBOW when she pestered her tag team partner Candie for her birth control pills because she thought they were candy.
- Yandere: Could be this at times as a face, as well as a heel.
- You Go Girl: At Impact Championship Wrestling's May 16, 2003 show, she defeated ICW Junior Heavyweight Champion Billy Reil AND Joey Matthews in a three-way match for the title.