Johnnie Mae Young (March 12, 1923 – January 14, 2014) was an American professional wrestler. An influential pioneer in women's wrestling, she helped increase its popularity during World War II and training many generations of wrestlers. She wrestled throughout the United States and Canada, and won multiple titles in the National Wrestling Alliance.Beginning in 1999, Young had a high-profile second career in the WWE, being part of a recurring comedic duo with best friend The Fabulous Moolah in appearances on WWE televised events. One of her more infamous moments was when she began a storyline where she dated Mark Henry, including an announcement that Young was pregnant. Her "child" was eventually delivered and found to be nothing more than a bloody rubber hand. In a more badass storyline, The Dudley Boys, specifically Bubba Ray Dudley, performed a powerbomb on Young through a table twice in consecutive episodes of Raw - the first being in the ring and the second being off the entryway stage. Young was 77 years of age at the time, but expressed enthusiasm for the stunt. She was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2008.As usual, you can find the basics at her page over at The Other Wiki.
Tropes related to Mae Young:
- Awesome Moment of Crowning: Inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2008.
- Body Horror/Fetus Terrible: The hand which Mark Henry sired.
- Cool Teacher: While not her main trainer, she did help Moolah learn to wrestle.
- Dirty Old Woman: So, so much.
- I Was Quite a Looker: It wasn't the "Diva" look, but, she was rather attractive, as odd as it sounds today.
- The Lad-ette: In her prime she was known for her habit of drinking and gambling with the male wrestlers she was on tour with. She later brought this back during her tenure in the WWE where she was sometime shown smoking a cigar.
- Never Mess with Granny: How many 80-year old women do you know that are not only willing, but eager to be put through tables? Not only did she want to go through the table, but when Bubba Ray Dudley tried to soften her landing and lessen the force he used on the throw, she walked up to him, slapped him across the face, and told him "Throw me through the table, asshole". It's also been said that, when Bubba wanted to rehearse going through the table, she ran up and put herself through the table. Additionally, she once related the story that Vince McMahon offered her a night off because, he jokingly said, "I don't want you to die in the ring." Mae responded by saying "You know what, Vince? I hope I do die in the ring." She said it would be the perfect way for "an old broad" like her to go out.
- Screw Politeness, I'm a Senior!: See below for a good example.
- Took a Level in Badass: She was always badass, but her confrontation with LayCool at "Old School Raw", calling them "bitches" and "sluts" (in WWE's "PG-Era", no less), was a welcome level for her.
- Ur-Example: The first NWA Florida Women's Champion, a title that had continuity with the WWF. In this case, it's the FCW "Divas" Champions who technically held the title Mae Young did. Incidentally, during the period where it had changed its name to FCW, Alexis Laree (otherwise known as Mickie James) held a belt called the Ladies Championship. Assuming they are not all supposed to be the same title, we can at least say they all followed Mae.