She'll leave you cat-atonic
(even if she's supposed to be the big bad wolf).
Like the Old Master
, the Cute Bruiser is a living, breathing, frequently painful lesson in never judging a book by its cover.
She appears to be a kid, but in battle she fights like a bruiser. Bruisers tend to melee combat focused on punches and blocks. Traditional bruisers are large husky men who win fights due to their size and strength allowing them to both absorb and put out heavy damage. This contrast between appearance and combat style is what makes the character surprising.
The Cute Bruiser's Weapon of Choice
will probably be Good Old Fisticuffs
, a club
, or martial arts
that focus on direct blows to your opponent instead of pressure points or judo throws. They'll only rarely be using a bladed weapon or depending on projectile weapons, with the exception of throwing heavy objects
. When confronted with a locked door, her likely solution is to just smash it open. In short, she deals out the blunt trauma very well.
The Cute Bruiser also has some tanking abilities. She is not a Glass Cannon
who depends on dodging
. (Dodging is acceptable behavior, but a Cute Bruiser can take a blow if needed, and so doesn't depend on it). At the end of a fight expect her to be covered in bruises and scratches, but still with a smile on her face, (assuming the fight was won). She might even be Rock Steady
, hitting like a Mighty Glacier
, and standing like a Stone Wall
. Might have Super Strength
She is usually The Big Guy
in a Five-Man Band
, a common subversion of the usual traits associated with that character type. Personality-wise she can vary quite a bit. She might be a Boisterous Bruiser
, she could share some traits with a Little Miss Snarker
, or she may just stick with the apparent contradiction of an innocent Cheerful Child
who can mix it up in a bar fight. If she is affiliated with a powerful villain, expect to see just how someone with her appearance got to that position.
Almost always a Pint-Sized Powerhouse
. Often a Badass Adorable
or Little Miss Badass
. Possibly a Super-Strong Child
, in which case she may be a Glacier Waif
. Tends to overlap with Small Girl, Big Gun
when firearms are present. Compare Child Mage
which have a similar contrast between appearance and combat effectiveness but using a different combat style. Contrast with the Lady of War
who is elegant in combat. When she works out enough, she can evolve into an Amazonian Beauty
. When past the age of cuteness she usually disappears as a character before re-emerging in old age as a case of Never Mess with Granny
. Girly Bruiser
is a Sub-Trope
open/close all folders
- In Tarot Motifs, Strength is often depicted as a young girl holding up a beast.
- Noodle of the band Gorillaz. Being the product of a Super Soldier project, she has mastery of all forms of weaponry as well as hand to hand combat.
- Several of the comedy-based wrestling promotions in Japan feature Kaicho Ramu, whose gimmick is that she is a little girl, possessed by a demon, and strong enough to casually suplex and chokeslam adults. She actually started when she was 6 years old and (as of 2009) is 8 or 9 years old. (She should be about 11-12 years old as of December 15, 2012 now.)
- Riho (born June 4, 1997), now formerly of the Ice Ribbon promotion, has a similar gimmick, minus the possessed-by-a-demon thing. She started when she was 8 years old on May 29, 2006, and 15 years old now (as of December 15, 2012).
- Tomoyo Sakagami of CLANNAD is a quiet, somewhat soft-spoken young lady who aims to be student council president. She also used to (and still can) beat up gangs of delinquents with her bare hands and can deliver upwards of 500 kicks in a matter of two to three seconds with enough force to lift her targets off the ground and keep them there.
- Shikikargura from Visual Novel Princess Waltz is about half the height of the other princesses and carries no weapon. Don't think that makes her weak.
- Bakumi Moriyama of Crimsoness, a high school girl who, after one bad day, goes on a rampage and destroys everything in her path, including a crocodile, a demonic statue, and a door. The game ends with her splitting Earth in half with her BARE HANDS.
- Ohtori Chihaya, in Rewrite, looks like your average high-school girl (albeit quite adorable). She also can lift more than six times your average adult male's lift capacity, without breaking a sweat. And walk out of several falls that would cause anyone else serious injury.
- RWBY: In a World of Action Girls, there were bound to be a couple of these.
- The main protagonist, Ruby Rose, is the youngest member of the main cast at 15. She's about half the size of her weapon, which is a scythe/sniper rifle combo she designed herself. She's also more passionate about weapons than people.
- Nora Valkyrie is this and Girly Bruiser. She's a Genki Girl with a heart motif who almost never stops grinning, even when told she's at risk of dying. Her weapon is as unsubtle as she is; a grenade launcher/hammer combo which, like Ruby's weapon, can propel her through the air. The grenades it fires also have hearts on them.