Film / Zoom: Academy for Superheroes
Zoom: Academy for Superheroes
(more commonly known as Zoom
) is the story of Jack Shepard (Tim Allen
), formerly Captain Zoom of the superhero
group Team Zenith. Years ago, an attempt to boost the powers of Jack and his brother Conner (Concussion) resulted in Conner going mad, killing his teammates, and being exiled into a dimensional vortex by Zoom.
Thirty years later, a retired Shepard is called in to train a group of super-powered youngsters, at Area 52. Unbeknownst to him, the real purpose of their training is so they can battle Concussion, who is on the brink of returning to his home dimension.
The film is loosely based on the Zoom's Academy
children's book series.
Zoom: Academy for Superheroes provides examples of the following tropes:
- Aliens Steal Cattle: Parodied. While cruising in their flying saucer, the team lift up a cow with a Tractor Beam.
- Basement-Dweller: Marsha admits she was this in her youth.
- Brainy Brunette: Marsha.
- Broken Aesop: If the cheerleaders treated Summer horribly before she became a member of the Zoom team, what does it say that they accept her as a member of the team because she has powers that make them look good, dresses like them, is a member of a famous super-team and had a hot boyfriend... or that Summer would even want to become a cheerleader after how she was treated?
- Broken Pedestal: How Marsha comes to see her idea of Jack, though like the others, it gets rebuilt.
- Cool Plane: The flying saucer qualifies.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: For most of the film, Marsha is portrayed as a slightly clumsy scientist fangirl. Near the end, we learn that she blows. Literally.
- Cute Bruiser: Cindy, a.k.a. "Princess".
- De-Power: Zoom thought this had happened to him after exiling Conner.
- Despair Event Horizon: It's heavily implied that the crushing grief of his brother going mad and proceeding to kill their friends and teammates along with Zoom having to be the one to imprison his brother zaused Zoom to be unable to use his powers.
- Dueling Movies: With Sky High (2005).
- Easily Forgiven: Despite his actions, this happens to Conner Justified as the main reason this happen was because of the government attempting to power him up with Gamma 13.
- The redheaded telepath/telekenetic almost seems to be a direct copy of Jean Gray.
- Dylan is suspiciously similar to Sky High's Warren.
- Tucker is similar to Bouncing Boy.
- Cindy is one floppy hat away from Molly in Runaways.
- Fartillery: One of the rejected applicants is "Jupiter, the gas giant". Care to guess what his power is?
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: When Dylan tests his clairvoyance to find Summer dancing in her room, at the last second she realizes he's there with her empathic power and looks directly into the camera.
- General Ripper: Larabie (ironically played by RIP Torn).
- Good Colors, Evil Colors: To an extreme. Blue is good (Zooms powers, Summers necklace, Tuckers soccer uniform) and red is evil (Concussions powers, the cheerleaders uniforms).
- Hot Scientist: Marsha (it helps that she's portrayed by Courtney Cox).
- I Love Nuclear Power: Larabie's plan to deal with Concussion's return is to juice the kids with Gamma 13... despite the fact that it was that plan that turned Concussion into a lunatic in the first place.
- Played straight with Zoom as the Gamma 13 succeded in amplifying his speed powers without a hitch.
- In-Name-Only: Other than it concerns super-powered people, there is no real overlap between the movie and Jason Lethcoe's original Zoom books and comics.
- Invisibility: Dylan, a.k.a. "Houdini".
- Meganekko: Marsha, who wears glasses throughout the movie and fits the personality somewhat.
- Partial Sizeshifter: Tucker, a.k.a. "Mega Boy".
- Phlebotinum Rebel: Conner lost his mind after being exposed to Gamma 13 radiation, and turned on his own teammates.
- Power Nullifier: Area 52 has a room that acts as this, used to detain unruly supers.
- Product Placement: The team flies their saucer through the drive-through at Wendy's, where Tucker orders an insane number of "Frosty" desserts for himself. When they return to base, Jack offers Marsha a Spicy Chicken sandwich.
- Professor X Likes Watching Teenagers Sweat: A humorous example, with a Deadly Training Area that shoots paintballs.
- Psychic Powers: Summer, a.k.a. "Wonder". Also Dylan, a.k.a. "Houdini" (because of his clairvovance).
- Rebuilt Pedestal: How everyone sees Jack after his powers return & he saves Connor
- Retired Badass: Zoom.
- Robot Buddy: Mr. Pibb.
- Shout-Out: At one point, Summer uses her TK to lift a guard to the ceiling, just like Courteney Cox's character Glo on Misfits of Science.
- Sidekick: Doctor Grant: He's even described as such in the prologue.
- The Sixth Ranger: Marsha.
- Super Speed: Zoom (duh!).