Zoom: Academy for Superheroes
(more commonly known as Zoom
) is the story of Jack Shepard (Tim Allen
), formerly Captain Zoom of the superhero
group Team Zenith. Years ago, an attempt to boost the powers of Jack and his brother Conner (Concussion) resulted in Conner going mad, killing his teammates, and being exiled into a dimensional vortex by Zoom.
Thirty years later, a retired Shepard is called in to train a group of super-powered youngsters, at Area 52. Unbeknownst to him, the real purpose of their training is so they can battle Concussion, who is on the brink of returning to his home dimension.
The film is loosely based on the Zoom's Academy
children's book series.
Zoom: Academy for Superheroes provides examples of the following tropes:
- Aliens Steal Cattle: Parodied. While cruising in their flying saucer, the team lift up a cow with a Tractor Beam.
- Basement-Dweller: Marsha admits she was this in her youth.
- Brainy Brunette: Marsha.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: For most of the film, Marsha is portrayed as a slightly clumsy scientist fangirl. Near the end, we learn that she blows. Literally.
- Cute Bruiser: Cindy, a.k.a. "Princess".
- De-power: Zoom thought this had happened to him after exiling Conner.
- Easily Forgiven: Conner.
- The redheaded telepath/telekenetic almost seems to be a direct copy of Jean Gray.
- Dillon is suspiciously similar to Sky High's Warren.
- Spencer is similar to Bouncing Boy.
- Fartillery: One of the rejected applicants is "Jupiter, the gas giant". Care to guess what his power is?
- General Ripper: Larabie (ironically played by RIP Torn).
- Good Colors, Evil Colors: To an extreme. Blue is good (Zooms powers, Summers necklace, Tuckers soccer uniform) and red is evil (Concussions powers, the cheerleaders uniforms).
- Hey, It's That Guy!:Biff Tannen is Spencer's science teacher.
- Hot Scientist: Marsha (it helps that she's portrayed by Courtney Cox).
- I Love Nuclear Power: Larabie's plan to deal with Concussion's return is to juice the kids with Gamma 13.
- In Name Only: Other than it concerns super-powered people, there is no real overlap between the movie and Jason Lethcoe's original Zoom books and comics.
- Invisibility: Dylan, a.k.a. "Houdini".
- Meganekko: Marsha, who wears glasses throughout the movie and fits the personality somewhat.
- Partial Sizeshifter: Tucker, a.k.a. "Mega Boy".
- Phlebotinum Rebel: Conner lost his mind after being exposed to Gamma 13 radiation, and turned on his own teammates.
- Power Nullifier: Area 52 has a room that acts as this, used to detain unruly supers.
- Psychic Powers: Summer, a.k.a. "Wonder".
- Retired Badass: Zoom.
- Robot Buddy: Mr. Pibb.
- Super Speed: Zoom (duh!).