"The great inconvenience of The Scarlet Letter, from a Hollywood point of view, is that the novel begins after the adultery has already taken place. This will not do."
Good news! You've acquired the rights to remake that classic cartoon you loved as a child as a movie/novelisation/TV series/comicbook/whatever. But hold on; you watch the series again and you realise something. Shockingly
, there's No Hugging, No Kissing
- not even Sexual Tension
or a gratuitous bikini shot
. Well that will never do - surely people only ever watch TV for the sex, right? And what'll keep the parents entertained
? There's only one thing for it: you'll have to make it Hotter and Sexier.
Firstly, all the female characters get Stripperiffic
outfits while the men get one Shirtless Scene after another
. Then add some "Witty Banter
" between the lead characters about penis size
, some bow-chicka-bow-wow
, a "manly" hero
and a Chaste Sidekick
who's a stupid and innocent virgin
, a Ms. Fanservice
with Gag Boobs
and no nudity taboo
. Heck, why not go all the way and chuck everyone in bed together
and say it's just you making the series more mature.
Unsurprisingly, fans tend to dislike remakes that use this Tone Shift
for several reasons. Firstly, these are characters that people have cherished since childhood, and it can be very disturbing to see them suddenly start making masturbation jokes
. Secondly, some people feel awkward about blatant innuendos in children's shows, especially when they are so blatant that the clean meaning is harder to find than the dirty one. Third, it can seem insulting to both the viewers and to the franchise. It seems to be saying both that "Viewers Are Morons
— they won't watch a show unless it has sex in it!" and "this show is so terrible that if we don't chuck some cheap titillation in, no-one'll watch it!". Finally, given that the sex is effectively added as an afterthought, it can often feel badly taped on, especially when the content is the result of Executive Meddling
It's not always
a bad thing. Some creators originally planned for their work to include lots of sex, only for it to be nixed by the Moral Guardians
. Older works that were raunchy and risque at the time may not be as the times have changed, so to keep the same feel the sexual themes are exaggerated more than the original. As a result, when the work gets remade in a new, less restrictive media (such as TV to film
, or anime to manga
), the creator can restore what was cut before, with the advantage that this time, the content is properly integrated with the story.
It's not always bad when applied to costumes either. Sure, most of the time it's disheartening or trashy, but sometimes the design just looks better and sleeker.
A Super Trope
to Sexy Whatever Outfit
A Sister Trope
to Sex Sells
Parallel to Darker and Edgier
, Lighter and Softer
, Bloodier and Gorier
, and Younger and Hipper
See also Historical Beauty Update
, Avoid the Dreaded G Rating
, Rated M for Money
, and Fanservice Pack
. Going in the opposite direction will often get you Bleached Underpants
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Battle Royale started as a novel and movie with a bit of UST and one attempted rape, along with an interrupted sex scene that's stopped before the two involved go all the way. When this became a manga, however, it gained masses of violent, bloody rape of people living, dying and dead.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion, when moving from anime to manga, made Rei's shower scene (among others) more explicit by removing the Barbie Doll Anatomy and Scenery Censor that was used in the anime. Taking advantage of the R-rating, the movies get a bit of this as well, though not as explicit.
- The spinoff/Alternate Continuity Slayers manga, The Hourglass of Falces, is probably the closest the series gets to this trope (even if it isn't the series proper). Basically, there's actually a decent plot that makes sense, and two major characters who didn't appear outside the novels (Luke and Milina) appear, but it usually falls under the shadow of the sheer amount of BOOBIES. The canonically-busty Princess Amelia gets an outfit switch that includes a short skirt flaunting a pair of panties and has the Boobs of Steel trope taken Up to Eleven, Milina's outfit changes entirely into a skimpy ensemble, and Lina makes up her flat-chested status for panty shots. Also, the Tagalong Kid for this manga, Noa, is a living stack of Fetish Fuel (enormous breasts, short skirt, and wets herself in fear in one scene). Add a lot of Skinship Grope, and you've got one hell of a racy spinoff...
- The anime is this compared to Mai-HiME, with the entire setting being built from the ground up to encourage yuri antics. Furthermore, the anime was adapted into its manga counterpart, for which a number of non-canon Hentai chapters were added.
- In regards of the manga itself, even outside of the hentai chapters, the fanservice levels were turned Up to Eleven compared to the original anime (which had fanservice, but nowhere near as much). The storyline was also changed, making it more harem-like, which for the intended target audience could also be considered a form of Hotter and Sexier. The manga adaptation of Mai-HiME looks child-friendly compared to it.
- Mai-Otome Zwei also levels up the fanservice from Mai-Otome, with the Furo Scene in Episode 3 averting Barbie Doll Anatomy and skirting perilously close to the hentai line.
- You might be surprised to know that Bleach, by Tite Kubo, was originally highlighted by a very blocky art style, where square-shaped faces, enormous eyes, shorter statures and body shadows were the norm. Once Art Evolution went into effect, the guys on average sport much prettier faces to compliment their now-chiseled physiques, which might explain why they suffer through Clothing Damage more often than the women. This also occurred for the ladies, who now tend to sport curvier, more voluptuous figures to go along with their shapely legs and bustier builds, leading to the famous Bleach at the Beach swimsuit spread.
- Gundam SEED probably had more explicit scenes than all of the other Gundam series combined (especially in the Special Edition, where we get to see Kira getting out of bed after having comfort sex with Fllay, then has flashbacks to such an event during battle). Being in an age where the Internet speeds up the pace of Rule 34 helps too.
- A reverse case: The first Devil Hunter Yohko OAV had scenes that bordered on softcore porn, like a Brainwashed and Crazy Osamu's Attempted Rape of Yohko. However, the OAV after that one were Lighter and Softer to make it more appealing to younger audiences.
- Nightmare of Nunnally, a manga spinoff of Code Geass that had Nunnally receiving a Geass along with Lelouch, had more fanservice then you can shake a stick at. Not to say Code Geass wasn't hot and sexy, but seems like the manga was specifically playing to the tune of the guys who read it.
- While the Pokémon anime can come off as this, the Pokémon manga The Electric Tale of Pikachu on the other hand is a definite example of this trope, giving most of the female characters large breasts and tight, revealing outfits.
- Blassreiter was already a not so kiddy version of Kamen Rider, Blassreiter Genetics does the aforementioned things and adds Nudity and some sex scenes (NOT Implied type, the softcore porn type) for good measure. Yet it had a bit of a Lighter and Softer appeal to it.
- In the original manga of Chrono Crusade, Aion is a creep, but treats all the women in his group with respectful but platonic feelings, and while he delights in screwing with the minds of his enemies, he leaves their bodies alone. The anime version has him Forceful Kissing Rosette not once, but twice (and possibly even rape her off screen), and attempt to rape another female member of her True Companions, plus several scenes in which he purrs seductively into a character's ear.
- 009-1 is a Hotter and Sexier version of Cyborg 009, with a Ms. Fanservice Action Girl as the lead.
- Lyrical Nanoha
- With To Love-Ru as fanservice-laden as it is, one would consider it impossible for this trope to apply any further, yes? No. To Love-Ru Darkness, in its first chapter, promises even more fanservice than ever, with such things as unobstructed views on... stuff and Momo the Harem Seeker. To say the least, it delivers.
- In an inversion, the first anime adaptation had barely any fanservice.
- One Piece, where every adult female is either a gonk or a sex goddess in her own right. It didn't start out that way though. The most blatant example is Nami, as illustrated here◊.
- Part of this can be attributed to Art Evolution. Earlier in the series, everyone who wasn't explicitly fat or otherwise especially bulky was very gangly instead. As Oda's style changed, all characters got a little meatier, whether it meant more muscle definition for the men or more curves for the ladies. Additionally, though the incidents of fan service also increase, even as long-running female characters themselves get hotter, there are also more of them. For instance, by the Loguetown arc (end of the first saga), there were only five living female characters: Nami, Tashigi, Alvida, Kaya, and Nami's sister Nojiko, with only Alvida being fanservice-y, and amongst the men, only Sanji had ladykiller qualities. Contrast that to arcs like Fishman Island or Dressrosa, both of which have oodles of sexy ladies as background characters and as important secondary characters (Caimie, Shirahoshi, Sharley, Baby 5, Violet) and the introduction of many Bishonen-type characters, like Law or Cavendish.
- Go Nagai is well-known for his risky, borderline hentai titles. Heck, his break-out title was the aptly titled Harenchi Gakuen (Lewd School). This one was still a shounen manga though and never went beyond being naughty. In the mid 90's however, a reboot called Heisei Harenchi Gakuen hit the shelves, which finally was a full-fledged cartoon porn.
- Super Robot Wars Original Generation: The Inspector is chock full of fanservice moments, including a scene where Excellen gets brainwashed similar to what happened to Lamia in the ODE Incident of OG Gaiden along with a variety of other fun stuff like Ending Credits featuring the female cast in bathing suits as well as one with Elzam and Zengar.
- Tenchi Muyo GXP might be this compared to its preceding series. In one episode, even though it was only a holographic disguise, "Amane"'s outfit was so revealing that even Emma Frost would blush at it.
- This also led to a bit of WTH, Casting Agency? in the dub. Seina's mother looks to be in her late 30s to mid 40s and is a bit on the heavy side, but she has a voice that makes her sound like a woman half her age and thus appearance.
- When Mitsuki Oosawa got the job of making a manga based on the Fire Emblem Jugdral games, she managed to get away with cranking up the sexiness in the storyline quite a bit, via several scenes in which the characters are shown either having sex (nothing that graphic, though, more like R-rated), right after sexy times, or having rather erotic fantasies about their romantic partners. I.e.: the scene in which Deirdre and Sigurd confess their mutual love has Sigurd hugging a wet and naked Deirdre who had been skinny-dipping before he came in, and they go through Their First Time right after their wedding; Raquesis and Eldigan are this close to have sex after recognizing their feelings for each other, only Eldigan's conscience stopping him form taking Raquesis' virginity and finally setting into a Last Kiss; Deirdre's train of thoughts before being Brainwashed and Crazy includes more than one mental image of Sigurd and herself naked in each other's arms, and Sigurd also fantasizes about her nude self after her kidnapping; Lex and Ayra decide to get married when they're naked in bed and few after having sex (also coupled with Lex showing Hidden Depths and almost crying into Ayra's naked bosom after his Bad Dreams about his Missing Mom and his feud with Langobalt); and Raquesis and Finn have sex right after their love confession (this one is fully understandable since they're among the youngest members of the army, they go at it right before Finn leaves for Lester not knowing if he'll ever be back to her, and both of them were very emotionally exhausted after Eldigan's execution, with Finn being barely able to keep Raquesis from crossing the Despair Event Horizon).
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is a murder-mystery involving demons and survival, with some comic relief thrown here and there once in a while. But after the story being wrapped up in the anime, it seems to be getting this treatment with their fourth newest season, Higurashi Kira, filled with mindless fanservice.
- This originally started with the Nekogoroshi one-shot OVA (Mion in a Fur Bikini anyone?), next came Rei with the FIRST OVA being a Pool Episode, and then Kira.
- Inverted with Negima!?, Studio SHAFT's adaptation of Mahou Sensei Negima!. The original is known for having a fair deal of fanservice, but this anime had none. It was still a good series, but it felt odd.
- Hinata of all characters gets this treatment in Naruto The Movie Road To Ninja.
- Poor Dog Days. Sweet, innocent little Dog Days...while it always had some fanservice in it, it really jumped up a large bit in the second season. by the way, everyone's 13-16 years old (mostly 14 and a possible 12).
- After the initial arc of Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple, the fanservice gradually ramped up until eventually we have a fight scene where Barbie Doll Anatomy is the only thing that keeps one from immediately realizing the female character fighting is Going Commando.
- Inverted with Axis Powers Hetalia. Along with becoming Lighter and Softer, the fanservice, while still very existent, is a lot lesser than in the earliest strips. The earlier strips had a lot more Black Comedy Rape and much more Homoerotic Subtext, some so blatant it could only be called text. Some of the old fanservicey strips were even deleted. Ironically, played straight with the fifth season of the anime. After 4 seasons of toning down the fanservice, the 5th season goes all out in pandering to the Yaoi Fangirls, animating some of the raunchiest strips such as April Fools 2011 and Buon San Valentino.
- While .hack//Legend of the Twilight is more lighthearted than other Dot Hack titles, it also contains more Fanservice and suggestive themes.
- The Little Busters! Mask the Saito OVA, which moved a whole bunch of scenes between the girls that were originally set on the baseball field and placed them in the bathroom (while they all, bar Mio, were naked, of course) and added a couple of random shots of the girls in their underwear getting changed, too. All in all it added up to more fanservice than had been in place in the original VN and main anime combined.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica featured almost no sexual Fanservice of any kind besides a few moments of Barbie Doll Anatomy (and even then, all instances of it were removed for the Compilation Movie). Puella Magi Kazumi Magica, the first spinoff, dove straight into this; Kazumi's outfit shows more skin than those of all the girls of the original series put together, and early stories feature a Naked First Impression and Kazumi failing to conjure up a skirt. Given that the main characters remained middle-school-age, this aspect was somewhat disconcerting, and the likely reason for why the later Puella Magi Oriko Magica and Different Story reverted to the series's standard of "no fanservice outside of Ship Tease" (though they certainly didn't shy away from gore).
- Compare the uniform◊ Birdy Cephon Altera, the title character of Birdy the Mighty wore in the OVA series to the one◊ she wore in Decode. It's the same way in the respective manga they're based on.
- Highschool of the Dead is already pretty well known for its fanservice, but the "Drifters of the Dead" OVA dialed it up big time. It's a Beach Episode where the group falls under the effects of hallucinogenic smoke, and includes such scenes as Takashi thinking he was having sex with Saeko. At daybreak, Saya is the first to recover and finds Rei and Saeko frenching each other in the nude, while each thought the other was Takashi. Then she sees Hirano humping a broomstick, thinking it was HER! Once everyone recovers and realizes what each of them has done, they agree to pretend none of it happened.
- Wildstorm's horribly misjudged Thundercats revival, which included amongst other things an aged-up (but still in their teens) Wilykit and Wilykat becoming Mumm-Ra's sex slaves.
- Cheetara was chained provocatively to a wall in her first appearance, with the insinuation she'd been raped by the mutants.
- Pictured above is Zenescope Entertainment's Grimm Fairy Tales, with the comic in question obviously centering around Little Red Riding Hood (although she isn't so little anymore). The wolf actually turns out to be the former lover of the teenaged Red. In the end, this story is merely a teenager's Dream Sequence based on her fight with a boyfriend who wanted to have sex with her.
As a whole, Grimm Fairy Tales is a subversion — sure, all covers feature attractive women in fetishized costumes of fairy tales characters, or with those characters, but stories themselves are mostly modern versions of fairy tales, rather Darker and Edgier than Hotter and Sexier.
- In the same vein as Grimm Fairy Tales, comic book artist J. Scott Campbell has been producing "Fairy Tale Fantasies", an annual pin-up calendar series that features female characters from various Disney/Mother Goose fairy tales in decidedly skimpier outfits and sporting more comic book-proportioned figures.
- Happened to second Wonder Girl, once she moved from Young Justice to Teen Titans. This◊ is how she was looking in her Young Justice days. This◊ is her current look.
- Done in Green Lantern Corps. Sheriff Mardin was originally an overweight woman in a trenchcoat. In the New 52, she's a lot skinnier and is now a Purple-Skinned Space Babe and wears a tank top.
- The New 52:
- The sexuality of traditional Ms Fanservices Catwoman and Starfire (in ''Red Hood'') have been ramped up significantly. Notably, Amanda Waller also had a major redesign to slim her down when she has never been a particularly attractive woman (in either looks or personality).
- Similar to Waller, Ma Hunkel/Red Tornado 1 has apparently also been revised to no longer be a slightly overweight middle aged housewife/grandmother, with her crossdressing theme seemingly removed. Though, she's apparently now a composite of Ma Hunkel and her granddaughter Maxine, better known as Cyclone, who didn't share Ma's appearance.
- The male characters are getting it a little, too. Jay Garrick and Alan Scott, as part of the Younger and Hipper reboot in Earth2, both went from senior heroes to young and very attractive (as drawn by Nicola Scott, who gives the readers plenty of Female Gaze). Superman's facial features have been reworked, making him look more youthful and cute.
- Inverted, though, with Supergirl, whose costume shows a lot of leg but otherwise has been notably downplayed in favour of a more ordinary teenaged girl look; Power Girl, who for about a year had a much more modest costume◊ that even lacked her infamous "boob window"; and the Star Sapphires in the Green Lantern books, whose new costumes aren't nearly as Stripperiffic as the old ones.
- In the '80s, Peter Riverstone did this with The Bible stories where every notable woman has an Impossible Hourglass Figure that would shame Jessica Rabbit from their perfectly cherbic faces, perfectly set triple-Ds, washboard abs, a matching ass and the long legs of a runway model that don't even need heels to stand that way compared to every notable man being built like Superman with a permanent Raging Stiffie, which in Holophernes's case could literally impale a woman to death! Stories like "Judith And Holophernes" and "Thamara and Judah" would be certainly memorable this way.
- Dynamite Entertainment has made a comic adaptation of A Game of Thrones novel, which is far by more similar to the book, than the tv adaptation. Particularly comic Catelyn is younger and hotter than her tv version.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides to the franchise and Disney in general; it's the very first Disney film to mention sexual content (though not in those words) in the MPAA's reason for giving it a PG-13 rating.
- The Scooby-Doo movies. Freddy in Daphne's body feels himself. Shaggy in Velma's body looking up her own skirt too. Hilarity Ensues in both cases.
- In the Transformers cartoon, Spike did have some dating issues. The movies made it more explicit, and had plenty of fanservice shots of the love interests.
- Every single Uwe Boll adaptation of every videogame. Particularly Alone in the Dark (2005), which was changed from a Lovecraftian detective story to a poor man's version of The Matrix. But with more sex.
- The Live-Action Adaptation of The Flintstones had Halle Berry as Fred's Sexy Secretary, with some lines that went beyond Parental Bonus. To prevent backlash, however, Wilma and Betty were not oversexualized, no matter what some fans thought about them
- The musical The Phantom of the Opera was already this compared to its source novel, but the movie of it is even more so - not to its benefit when it means the Phantom has been hit with severe Adaptational Attractiveness that makes all the talk of his hideousness prior to his unmasking moot.
- Happens with a lot of adaptations of Dracula, in particular The Francis Ford Coppola version. Bram Stoker's Dracula is WAY more accurate to the novel than the Lugosi version,(probably because the Lugosi version is based on Hamilton Deane's play, and not Bram Stoker's book). However, the original novel had an old and ugly Dracula. While he did become younger looking as the novel progressed, Dracula was never described as anything close to attractive. Any Does This Remind You of Anything? events are closer to rape than sexy. The Count's portrayal in Bram Stoker's Dracula actually destroyed one potential interpretation of the original novel. The image of the dissolute Count (representing unrestrained animal sexuality) seducing cultured/repressed English girls becomes a lot less powerful when said English girls are strongly implied to be boinking each other.
- Vampires were originally analogies to sexual predators, and nearly every series based around vampires exploits this. Although in several examples as time has gone by, it's become less about "vampires as sexual predators and rapists" and more about "vampires are so sexy!". The Victorian Vampire revival, of which Bram Stoker's novel was part, more or less created this stereotype: 'traditional' vampires were more closely associated with disease than with sex. The Victorian fixation on syphilis might have led to a link being drawn between those two things.
- The link between sexual attractiveness and disease in the Victorian era was more due to the symptoms of tuberculosis. Pale skin, flushed cheeks, and bright eyes are commonly associated with the disease, and also with then standards of beauty. So a mysterious disease would come in and cause your formerly innocent and prude female acquaintance to get rosy cheeks, a pale complexion, and want to go no where more than to bed. I say, old chap, giggity, wot?
- The film versions of The Dukes of Hazzard, which took a family-friendly comedy series (with a resident, though mild fanservice character) and turned it into a sex comedy, complete with a raunchier unrated DVD version and R-rated direct-to-DVD sequel. Several actors from the original series even went public with their complaints.
- Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief did this with Grover. In the book he was shy and introverted with self-esteem issues. The movie turned him into a sex crazed maniac and played up the lust in Percy and Annabeth's romance.
- Red Riding Hood is a great example of this (as well as Darker and Edgier), what with all the bondage-gear pseudo-medieval clothing and rolling about in the snow.
- The Three Musketeers (2011), starring Milla Jovovich as Action Girl fourth member Milady De Winter, who at one point rips off her overdress and has a petticoat cut as a Showgirl Skirt.
- Paint Your Wagon greatly rewrote the original musical play, adding subplots about prostitution and wife-sharing.
- There's more nudity and related fanservice in the third Riddick movie than in previous installments, including from Riddick himself.
- Who knew that Charles Xavier was a charming, Pretty Boy cad or that Erik Lenhnsherr was a brooding, Tall, Dark and Handsome "bad boy" during their youth? X-Men: First Class also provides the most scantily-clad females in the entire franchise.
Live Action TV
- Nelly Furtado's first two albums were kinda experimental pop/folk, normal clothing◊... then Loose had her singing R&B/hip-hop, some with suggestive titles like "Promiscuous" and "Maneater", and sexy wardrobe◊ (giving birth between those albums helped her body to get good enough for those tight pants).
- It is notable that Nelly Furtado is an mild example of this trope, as critics noted, she did not resort to just wearing underwear or grinding like some of contemporaries.
- In fact, pretty much all female pop singers tend to enter a "sexy phase" whenever album sales sag, or their audience enters a new age bracket. Even Jewel.
- Male R&B pop stars are no stranger to this either. Usher is a good example.
- The K-Pop group T-ara did two music videos of their song, "Bo Peep Bo Peep". One is the normal version, and then the 19+ version which is basically softcore porn... Some think it's still "not porny enough" compared to Western music videos going the same way, but then again, this is South Korea we're talking about.
- Then there is Hyuna, who's sexy solo career has more views on Youtube than when she is working as part of 4minute, her teaser video for What's Your Name has more views than her entire group combined which says the Hotter and Sexier direction is well received.
- Hilary Duff is a subversion. Although some of her songs have gotten Hotter And Sexier, (many critics noting it is a little weird to hear Lizzie McGuire sing lyrics like "Reach out and touch me") she pretty much still wears the same clothing since her Disney days.
- Miranda Cosgrove is starting this with her EP, High Maintenance. Note the last track of the EP, as it's just that.
- Miley Cyrus went there the moment she started Party In The USA.
- Untitled (How Does It Feel) by D'angelo.
- Lovage did this when they covered Berlin's "Sex (I'm A)". The Lovage version can be heard here and is either Hotter and Sexier or Narmy depending on taste. Probably Not Safe for Work either way.
- Katy Perry started out as a Christian pop singer. Then she made "I Kissed a Girl"...
- Carly Rae Jepsen of all people seems to be heading down this path. After the saccharine sweetness of "Tug of War" and especially "Call Me Maybe", she's released "Good Time" with Owl City; she displays Bare Your Midriff and Who Wears Short Shorts? in the video. There's even a nude photo scandal!
- Michael Jackson attempted this in The Nineties with several of the songs/videos from his album Dangerous: "Remember the Time", "In the Closet", "Give in to Me", "Who Is It", and the title track — plus the crotch-grabbing coda to the "Black or White" video. The idea was to counteract the aura of feyness he'd come to project to the public (Bad attempted something similar with a Darker and Edgier "tough dude" approach), but these efforts largely fell flat with audiences or, in "Black or White"'s case, outright offended them. He tried again with the "You Are Not Alone" video in 1995, in which he frolicked in the near-buff with then-wife Lisa Marie Presley, but that came off as Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today? to skeptical viewers in the wake of his 1993 child molestation scandal.
- Christina Milian, during her Dip It Low phase
- R&B group 702, after their hiatus returned with skimpier clothes and with what some believe were boob jobs.
- Brooke Valentine, but it didn't stop her album Physical Education from being shelved.
- R. Kelly became this more and more over the 90's heading into the millennium.
- Ciara was always in this category, but moved further into this direction in her later albums.
- Brandy started going into this phase with her third album, Full Moon and amped it up even more with her Afrodisiac album.
- Zigzagged but mostly inverted with X Japan over the 2008 reunion and forward, which used to have songs such as Stab Me In The Back, Orgasm, Standing Sex, and the like - as well as lots of onstage man-on-man fanservice - as a regular feature of the setlist for almost all live shows. Post 2008, Orgasm was the only one to remain in the setlist (and only then for certain shows for the full version - the gigs outside Japan didn't even feature the full version, if they featured it at all), and most of the homoerotic fanservice became more of the Witty Banter and Call Back variety.
- Amber first started heading in this direction with singles such as "One More Night" and "Sexual", and climaxed (pardon the pun) with her third album, appropriately titled Naked.
- The birth of the WWE Divas archetype in The Attitude Era. Before then the female wrestlers in the company were average-looking women wrestling in singlets. Then along came Sable - a stunningly beautiful glamour model. Whenever she did moves, the fans went wild and so WWE started bringing in more pretty ladies. Not only did the standard wrestling outfits for women become considerably skimpier, they also had Cat Fight matches such as evening gown matches, bra and panties matches, gravy bowl matches etc.
- This happened again in 2004. WWE opted to have a Diva Search where a collection of pretty models, actresses etc. would get the opportunity to win a contract. And they ended up hiring most of the contestants anyway. Thus we saw a lot more bikini contests, lingerie matches and pillow fights. This was toned down in 2008 when WWE switched to PG.
- GLOW in the 80s was this to traditional women's wrestling. The G stands for Gorgeous after all. Women's wrestling at the time was serious athletic competition so GLOW took things in a more tongue-in-cheek Double Entendre comedy direction.
- Wrestling overall has experienced this. There is a lot more emphasis on looks, with most wrestlers striving to be in shape and have some degree of sex appeal. Males will rub on fake tan and baby oil to make their muscles stand out more. While the Ruthless Aggression Era WWE Divas proved that beautiful women can still kick ass, women wrestlers will doll themselves up and the majority of attires will have some Fanservice to them.
- The revival of Cabaret in the 1990s directed by Sam Mendes was pointedly Hotter and Sexier despite the show being hardly clean in the first place.
- The musical Chicago is greatly Hotter and Sexier than the original non-musical play.
- Parodied by the Tag Line to Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson: "HISTORY JUST GOT ALL SEXYPANTS."
- In the transition from La Bohčme to RENT, most of the charecters stayed pretty much the same. Except for Mimi, who went from sweet, soft-spoken and naive seamstress, to junkie S&M dancer. A lot of the contrast between sweet Mimi and sexy Musetta/Maureen is lost, but Mimi actually becomes a more rounded charecter in the process.
- Mimi's number "Out Tonight" became Hotter and Sexier in the transition between play and movie. In the play, the song is sexy, but it takes place in Mimi's apartment as she prepares to meet Roger. In the movie, it's an excuse for Rosario Dawson to do a strip routine.
- There have been several cases where decades (sometimes even century-old) plays that were notorious in their day for suggestive content (usually no more than suggestive) have been revived, but with greater freedom of expression on stage often crank up the sexual content. The popular teen play Spring Awakening is a good example of this. Two characters do not have sex in the middle of a song in the original.
- Princess Frostine in Candy Land has evolved into a pouty lipped girl with fishnet stockings in a later incarnation of the game.
- Barbie, though moral guardians (or those who prefer the original 1950s cat's-eyed version) might not approve.
- Action figures and dolls based upon movie and TV characters (male or female) these days tend to be more realistic and accurate than they used to be back in the old days. Depending on who is being portrayed, the trope can definitely apply.
- Deus Machina Demonbane is what happens when you do this sort of thing to the Cthulhu Mythos! To be fair, it still portrays most of what it borrowed as creepy as it's source, and lots of stuff is still freaky and decidedly non sexy Dagon and the Deep Ones come to mind. However, by the same token, no less than Nyarlathotep gets hit with this trope, and you wouldn't believe how sexy the result is.
- Breath of Fire 6 seems to be this for the series. While it was partial to the occasional Fanservice, and the main games would always have a Mr. and Ms. Fanservice in the party by the end of the game, 5 uses a more generic anime style with everyone (even the protagonist, should the player chose to do so) showing much more skin than previous installments.
- Prince of Persia: Warrior Within added such "mature" content as Stripperiffic villainesses who wore thongs and barely-there tops, female enemies who moaned and yelled vaguely S&M-related phrases while fighting, and, as the icing on the cake, many of the statues in the game were of (you guessed it) nude women. Plus lots of blood and heavy metal, of course. Interestingly enough, its predecessor Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time got closer to depicting actual sex than the second, although, to be fair, there were bare-breasted statues back in Sands of Time, right from the first level. This is just part of real-world Indian architecture.
- Soul Edge/Soul Blade gave Sophitia two unlockable costumes in which she wears fewer clothes. The second one which is harder to get has her down to her underwear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqCpN0f-BK0.
- Soul Calibur expands on this. Sure. A simple way to describe Ivy. She was busty to begin with, but as later games came out, she grew and grew, and her clothes conversely shrank and shrank. Soul Calibur III started the Character Creation stuff, but SCIV turned this up several notches with destructible armor, every bonus character being a female, and especially Angol Fear's appearance and Shura's dialogue. Ironically enough, in SCV, Ivy's clothing is far more modest than any of her default outfits in previous games.
- The fan-made modules A Dance with Rogues and The Bastard Of Kosigan are Darker and Edgier and Hotter And Sexier than the main Neverwinter Nights stories. The official expansion Hordes of the Underdark is a tamer example, but is still this to the base game. The romance subquests in the base game never went any further than Ship Tease, and aside from a handful of NPCs like dryads and a nymph, females were pretty conservative, though some of the female portraits prominently showed off cleavage. The expansion elaborated on romance subquests to full declarations of love and endings implying you end up together, a potential path in those subquests involve two females discussing "sharing" you, fairies, succubi, and other Cute Monster Girl enemies are more common, and a confrontation with the Big Bad has her trying to sexually seduce you.
- Mass Effect 2 was much Hotter and Sexier than the first game, which had nothing beyond Space Clothes and one rather tame sex scene near the end. The second game had Asari walking around with Absolute Cleavage, female party members dressed in ridiculously skintight clothing (and in one case nothing but tattoos from the waist up), prison rape in backstories, etc. Oddly, the actual sex scenes ended up being tamer than those in the previous game, with only Jacob and Miranda showing any skin before the Sexy Discretion Shot.
- Dragon Age II went through a similar progression as Mass Effect 2. In the first game, sex was present in the game-verse, but the characters didn't wear it on their sleeves, and even though you had sexy party members, they looked moderately normal. Come the sequel, many of the women have ample busoms, the player's dwarf companion walks around with his chest (virile carpet and all) exposed at all times, Everyone Is Bi, half the dialogue of one of your companions consists of sex jokes, and there is a far greater emphasis on the romance side-quests. On the other hand, two of the female party members (Merrill and Aveline) are not overly sexualized; Merrill has moderately-form-fitting but fully-covering robes and light chainmail, while Aveline wears platemail armor for 90% of the game.
- Dragon Age II is a bit weird with this trope. While there are more sexual references, the sex scenes with your romantic partner are more chaste than the original. The characters might kiss and lead each other to bed, but the scene always fades to black before you see anything explicit. Visiting the local brothel is also a much more tame affair.
- Isabela, however, is an example on her own. In her appearance in Origins, she wore rather silly armor that might qualify as a one piece swim suit with a leather skirt, though it was not as bad as the typical Chainmail Bikini. Nor was she the only one wearing it. Pretty much all the female light armor was a leather leotard or two piece. In Dragon Age II, she trades it in for a too-small shirt, underwear, and thigh-high boots.
- Isabela personally makes this change, but compared to the first game's Hot Witch and Token Evil Teammate Morrigan◊, the second game's main party is pretty overdressed.
- Final Fantasy IV is no stranger to fanservice, which is unsurprising given the franchise it's from, but compared to the rest of the series is pretty tame aside from the Stripperiffic Rydia and Porom. The PSP remake of the game however adds visible sexual organs to numerous monsters, including asses to the Lamia and Succubus-type enemies and bare breasts to the Leshy, conveniently covered up by the positioning of her arms. In the game's defense though, these enemies always had these attributes, they just weren't as noticeable in previous releases due to the lower-quality graphics.
- Final Fantasy X-2 managed to combine this with Lighter and Softer by upping the fanservice and Les Yay to 11 while making everything more cheerful.
- Dissidia: Final Fantasy does this to several characters thanks to its higher-quality graphics allowing 2D sprites and old concept artwork to be fully realized. Terra's alternate outfits provide an escalation of fanservice, baring her legs and midriff and making her quite pretty in the face, while the Cloud of Darkness was based on concept art instead of her sprites, and thus appears as a very shapely female clad in nothing but a cape and body paint. For the female fans, Warrior of Light and Firion have become full Bishōnen with silver hair and muscular builds, Zidane is quite handsome thanks to the more traditional art style, and Kain is simply gorgeous with a head full of long, flowing blonde hair. And that voice...
- Final Fantasy XII, Penelo is fully covered until the ending sequence and the sequel, Revenant Wings, where Penelo wears a less revealing dancer costume. Vaan may be almost shirtless in both games, but in Final Fantasy Tactics A2, he gets a new getup that makes him look more badass and hotter at the same time. And fans totally agree that Basch looks younger and hotter after he shaved up and had some nice haircut.
- The Dead or Alive series is easily often considered this for the Fighting Game genre. But for better or for worse that is often the ONLY thing that people talk about the series. (Even though most other fighting game series do this for their female cast on a regular basis.) But in all fairness Tecmo wasn't exactly trying to stop it either especially after the Xtreme Beach series.
- But yet oddly enough Tecmo tries to carefully make sure that the DOA girls' sex appeal would only be used for things like Absolute Cleavage and Stripperiffic outfits. There is a popular theory that the first Xtreme Beach Volleyball game had bad sales due to its M rating for nudity (the only nudity being Christie's butt in the opening sequence).
- Krystal from the Star Fox series was made exactly for this reason. The results have been very effective to say the least - or, as some say, they distracted from the gameplay and story shortcomings.
- While the aforementioned game couldn't do anything TRULY explicit, God of War did prove you can have full-frontal female nudity and still have the game be M Rated. And despite all the attention Dead or Alive has gained for its Fanservice, Street Fighter and Fatal Fury have gone one step further; their anime movies have shown Chun-Li and Mai Shiranui respectively nude in the shower.
- The lesson of this appears to be, so long as your game is set in Antiquity, having topless women walk around purely for the sake of being topless is just fine. Particularly if their dialogue advances the plot.
- Certain fans feared that this is exactly what was going to happen to Metroid's Samus Aran when it was announced that Tecmo and Team Ninja (of Dead or Alive, or "boing" fame) would be making Metroid: Other M. Ironically enough, her presence in this game is actually a lot more tame and modest than her normal appearances out of her armor. (After all, ever since the infamous Samus is a Girl twist in the original game occurred Samus ended up becoming quite a Ms. Fanservice when she is not in her traditional power armor.)
- This is the main reason Rouge the Bat was introduced in the Sonic the Hedgehog series.
- Before having Ivy and Sophitia (from Soul Calibur) jiggling about the camera whilst destroying each other's clothing, Namco proved they could taken the already-cleavage-familiar Tekken and spin-it-off into Death by Degrees, an action game that puts you in the numerous bullet-deflecting string bikinis of Nina Williams.
- Nikki, from Crystal Dynamics' 2.5D platformer Pandemonium, was an average looking teenage girl in the original game. In the sequel, Pandemonium 2, Nikki is a much older looking woman with longer hair, bigger breasts, and full red lips. This might be a case of She's All Grown Up if it weren't from the fact that Nikki from the sequel looks like an entirely different character instead of an older version of the same character from the first game. The manual goes as far to lampshade this.
"Nikki is no longer a limpet-eyed young naif. She has grown, blossomed, "leafed-out and sapped" as it were. And as she has sprouted, so have her desires.... and her means to achieve them."
- This happened to Judy Nails from the Guitar Hero series. In the first two games, she was a cute, fairly normal alt-rock chick. By the third game, she wore heavy make-up, changed her jeans and plaid for a mini-skirt and belly top, and of course there's also her sudden growth spurt. It bears mentioning that between the second and third games the developers changed from Harmonix (who moved on to make Rock Band) to Neversoft after Red Octane sold the name to Activision.
- TERA Online is basically "Lineage II with even nakeder girls."
- No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise is the original game with improved graphics and an extra gamemode called Very Sweet Mode added, which has all the female characters from the original game in a lot skimpier outfits. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing depends on which character being depicted, but it should be noted that this applies to literally all of the female characters. Including Speed Buster, a fat, elderly woman.
- No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle is quite a bit kinkier than its predecessor, with its female bosses catering to all sorts of fetishes: Charlie McDonald's cheerleader underlings, Cloe Walsh, Margaret Moonlight, Alice Twilight, Kimmy Howell...even returning characters Dr. Naomi and Shinobu get hotter! And that's before even mentioning that late in the game, Travis and Sylvia finally do it...
- The Dynasty Warriors characters have gotten progressively more attractive with each entry into the series, with the biggest jump occurring between the fifth and sixth installments. In particular, Sun Quan went from this◊ to this◊. And that's not even getting into the increasing Stripperiffic-ness of Diao Chan's outfits. As well as Yuan Shao's sudden change from a middle-aged man to a Silver Fox (with a mustache), Liu Bei reaching Bishōnen levels, Sun Shang Xiang baring her midriff and even the modest, previously armored Yue Ying shows off some of her well-toned legs in some shorts. Inverted with Zhen Ji whose previous Stripperiffic outfit was replaced with a very classy, royal qipao, then reversed when she went back to midriff and fishnets in 7.
- The 3DS remake of Fatal Frame 2 has done this to the protagonists. In the original game, Mio and Mayu are two relatively cute, yet demure teen girls. In the remake, Mio has noticeable cleavage and Mayu's high-collared top has been replaced with one that shows off her chest and collarbones. Their faces have also undergone a revamp to make them more stereotypically attractive.
- More boobage and less clothing was the order of the day for all the female characters in Mortal Kombat 9. Mileena even gets an entire fight scene wearing nothing more than a few strategically placed bandages.
- The Castlevania series has Alucard. Circa the NES era, he's a middle-aged, wrinkled, unimpressive generic film-Dracula-esque character. Then came Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. The young, long-silver-haired, alabaster-skinned and fine-featured, impeccably dressed gentleman on the page graphic there. That's Alucard. Yowza. And Maria Renard from the previous game is all grown up.
- Dead Rising 2 takes place in an adult playground and with it comes a lot more innuendo and more perverted moments than in the previous Dead Rising.
- Assassins Creed II, compared to Altair who is pretty much Married to the Job. Ezio's quest for revenge does not stop him from catching a glimpse of the finer things in 15th Century Italy which include lovely courtesans and a couple of flings with girls. However, Ezio also has a siblings, parents, and extended family, so it may just be a case of better and deeper storytelling than this trope per se.
- Alternately, just a representation of the times/locations. Altair represents the monastic mentality and heavy religious tones of the Crusade era, while Ezio represents the love-of-life vitality of Renaissance Italy.
- Happened to Noel Vermillion from BlazBlue, her character seems to wind up in more lewd situation as the series goes on and has appeared in a Queen's Blade game book which turn her into a full Ms. Fanservice (Which is saying something given how Litchi is already a Ms. Fanservice herself.
- Tiny Kong goes from being a cute tomboy in Donkey Kong 64 to a teenaged Ms. Fanservice. (although her personality remained mostly the same)
- Koyori from the Sengoku Ace/Blade/Cannon series is a tomboyish but attractive girl in the first game and in rest she's an outright Msfanservice with sexier appearance overall (larger breasts, pouty lips, her top shows more cleavage. Here are pictures of both versions and even some remarks on the change.
- The Sims 3 in comparison to the first two games, especially with Late Night. Breast sliders for women, body hair for men, clothing and accessories that resemble fetish wear and with the Create-a-Style tool, everything your Sim wears can be made of leather or rubber.
- Micaiah's redesign for Fire Emblem Awakening. Here are her original looks◊, and here is how she looks now◊. Unlike most examples of this trope, this instance is not so much a redesign as it is simply giving her the uniform of the class she uses as a DLC unit in the game (she's a Dark Mage, and almost Dark Mages of 'both genders dress that way), just like the rest of the DLC characters like Roy and Lyn, who are depicted in Mercenary and Swordmaster garb, respectively.
- Betilla the Fairy becomes this in Rayman Origins compare her old form in the first◊ game, to the one in Origins◊..
- All of the girls in Jet Set Radio became this in Future. And◊ we◊ mean◊ all◊ of them◊. Gum's victory dance includes a Panty Shot even!
- Fans of Tekken would be familiar with who the Final Boss is in each game: an old martial arts master, Satan, an Eldritch Abomination, a Crystal Dragon Jesus, ect. Meet the boss of the latest game.◊ She provides a small hint this is the direction the character portraits and outfits have gone.
- The infamous BMX XXX is Dave Mirra's BMX meets Rated M for Money (it was actually going to be a Dave Mirra's BMX game until Dave Mirra demanded that his name be taken off of it). It's also a classic example of this trope going horribly, catastrophically wrong.
- For the most part, Rift is fairly tame compared to many other fantasy-based games, with relatively few instances of things like the infamous Chainmail Bikini. Some of the higher level armors actually cover MORE skin than the lower level ones, imagine that! Then they came out with the expansion, Storm Legion, and well... Just look at the box art◊.
- Possibly the poster children for this trope are Grand Theft Auto IV and its sequel Grand Theft Auto V. Their predecessor, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, was condemned for its sexual content, including a Dummied Out sex mini-game found in some versions. With IV and V the makers responded by cranking the sexual content Up to Eleven, with full frontal male nudity in one of IV's DLC's cutscenes, topless strippers, interactive lap dances, and realistic-looking sexual encounters with prostitutes, plus an optional series of "booty call" diversions where the whole purpose is to have sex (at least San Andreas required players to engage with their "girlfriends" in various time-consuming activities before serving the girls any "hot coffee"). The moral of the story is: you can get away with just about anything in an M-rated video game just as long as you don't try to hide it or make it a secret.
- Inverted with Custom's Chip-chan Kick! While the company is infamous for its lineup of H-Games, this Elimination Platformer is hardly any more risque than the average ecchi. This being Chip-chan, she still gets a gratuitous amount of panty shots.
- Nerf NOW!! is a webcomic where Stripperiffic Distaff Counterpart versions of all the characters of Team Fortress 2 are featured frequently.
- Rather infamously, Sonichu 8.
- When T gave up on getting Penny and Aggie syndicated, he "celebrated" it with "Behind Closed Doors", where nearly all the couples past and present either have sex or almost have sex. This is the first arc to hint at Stan's bisexuality, and while it's not the first arc to hint at Sara's lesbianism, touching herself to Lindsay Lohan is a bit clearer than the strip had gotten in the past.
- Penny Arcade's infamous censored Strawberry Shortcake strip, which was actually a parody of the industry's tendency to do this plus Darker and Edgier.
- From DoDonPachi Dai Ojou onward, the series had the Elemental Dolls which caters to the idea of plunking 100 yen for a chance of seeing some PG 13 fanservice and Deathsmiles as well. Resurrection had the girls' armor breaking off, revealing their naked elemental doll body before they explode.
- The Fanservice-sodden pre-Scratch trolls in Homestuck are all in their late teens/early adulthood and many are sexually active, as opposed to the chaste post-Scratch trolls that the reader is first introduced to. Porrim is an Ethical Slut who Latula and Aranea have apparently slept with out of boredom, it's heavily implied Kurloz/Meulin, Rufioh/Horuss and Latula/Mituna have slept together, Cronus is obsessed with getting sex, and most jarringly almost all of Damara's dialogue is her begging people to have sex with her in kinky and creepy ways (when Homestuck has had, despite plenty of swearing, no sexual swearing up until that point). Damara's sexualisation is so extreme that not only is her text written in Japanese, requiring finding a point in a flash walkaround with a link to her transcripts and then copy-pasting text into Google Translate to read, some of her gestures are censored (likely as a joke, but still, that was only done in the comic previously for Equius's Porn Stash).
- The Ren & Stimpy Show has the Adult Party Cartoon episode titled "Naked Beach Frenzy", that serves as perfect example of this.
- The Simpsons' parody spinoff Chief Wiggum PI!
Skinner: He's gradually getting away, Chief!
Wiggum: Ah, let him go. I have the feeling we'll meet again, each and every week. Always in more sexy and exciting ways!...
- The later seasons in general. They've never exactly shied away from making sexual references but there's a bit more... blatancy in the later ones. Marge getting breast implants, anyone? Or making out with Lindsay Neagle (in Homer's imagination)?
- Or the beginning of a lesbian threesome between a group of Marge's old friends?
- Introduction of Lola Bunny in Space Jam had this purpose in the Looney Tunes franchise.
- Red Hot Riding Hood. Starts out as a normal Little Red Riding Hood until the characters suddenly rebel at this done-to-death staging and demand a fresh approach. Red is a sexy adult nightclub entertainer. It was voted #7 of The 50 Greatest Cartoons of all time.
- In the Famous Studios Popeye shorts, Olive Oyl was made more attractive so it would make more sense that Popeye and Bluto were fighting over her.
- While the original◊ Cheetara is still considered sexy by fans many agree that the 2011◊ version is much sexier. Her new outfit doesn't quite reach the Stripperific point, but it does show her midriff and some cleavage. And her hairstyle and figure are both an improvement.
- A Robot Chicken sketch promotes a theatrical re-release of 2001: A Space Odyssey, updated to include Playboy model Robin Bain prancing around in nothing but a thong, to keep the movie from becoming "really...really...boring!"
- The special episodes of La Linea, titled La Sexilina and Eros Linea, which have the main character get into situations involving naked women and humping animals respectively.
- Frozen does a costume-specific variation of this trope. After Elsa runs away, she realize she no longer has to hide her powers, so she does things like swap her proper coronation dress for a slinky dress (through Gorgeous Garment Generation), which she does a Sexy Walk in.
- A lot of pin ups and centerfolds eventually turn into this. Starting out as standard mild but sexy non-nude modeling, then semi-nude, then completely nude, then explicit poses, soon followed by "insertions" (and possibly hardcore porn, though not always). Basically "Raunchier and Nastier". But depending on your taste that's likely not a bad thing. The glamour models who don't do nude pictorials probably don't do it not just because of any moral standard, but because they haven't been offered the right amount of money yet.
- Case in point: Teri Weigel. She started her career as a Playboy Playmate in 1985. Soon after she posed for the more explicit Penthouse magazine. Eventually she started appearing in hardcore pornographic movies and magazines and even worked for a while as a legal prostitute at the Bunny Ranch brothel in Reno, Nevada.
- Other examples are Amber Easton, Meggan Mallone, Tila Tequila, Vicky6, Priya Rai, Brianna Frost and Francine Dee.
- B-movie actress Sara St.James aka Jacqueline Lovell, although she never did hardcore.
- A lot of real life child actors will delibrately take on Hotter and Sexier roles when they're older, in an attempt to shed the "innocent child" image they've had and be seen as a legitimate adult actor who can take on mature roles. It works better for some than for others.
- A la Anne Hathaway's switch from The Princess Diaries to Havoc.
- Another example is Elizabeth Berkley from Saved by the Bell, who starred in the movie Showgirls in an attempt to shed her "good girl" image. It didn't work; the film bombed at the box office and was thrashed by critics, effectively killing Berkley's career.
- Quasi-inversion: Seeing as she started her career playing a 12-year-old prostitute (in Taxi Driver), Jodie Foster had to go the route of "actually doing well in good movies" rather than this. It worked.
- There's a company called Clandestine Classics (link contains NSFW) which is taking classic novels like Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights and adding in explicit sex scenes. And that's not even getting into their adding gay sex to Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and Sherlock Holmes...
- While the Halloween Horror Nights event at Universal Studios Orlando concentrates mainly on the scares, Universal Studios Hollywood supplements their scares with some eye candy. This comes courtesy of Freddy's Fly Girls, cage dancers dressed up in Freddy's trademark fedora, sweater and claws (and not much else).
- Halloween costumes in general. First it was the kids dressing up. Then the adults started dressing up. Then someone decided to make their costume a little more "adult", and soon enough, no one wanted to be the one in the 'lame' costume, and now there is an entire industry devoted to adopting Rule 34 to the costume industry.
- The Fetish Fuel Wiki compared to this Wiki.