...or don't look. It's more polite, and keeps things SFW.
A wacky romp, usually full of fanservice
, blunt innuendos, and simple plans
all to one purpose — to get laid! Expect tons of Gag Boobs
, humorous dating or hook up scenarios, and maybe a large dollop of A Man Is Not a Virgin
, or Sex as Rite-of-Passage
if he still is. These can be explicit or non-explicit. The hijinks don't have to end after our hero or heroine gets laid.
Note that the proportion of sexual material can vary; jokes on other subjects are certainly permitted. A comedy series can have episodes of sex comedy while completely avoiding the subject at other times. Many of the examples below actually feature variants of the trope, or deconstruct
it in some way. Conversely, when Porn with Plot
tries to be funny, the result is obviously some kind of sex comedy, if not usually a very good one.
Many long-running sitcoms (outside of children's television) will have an episode of sex comedy sooner or later, sometimes featuring an attractive visiting character or guest star who catches the attention of one or more of the primary cast.
Related to Poor Man's Porn
, because you can own a copy of the film and no one will know it's one scene you own the film for.
. Subgenre: Awful British Sex Comedy
Comics and Manga
- A.I. Love You starts off with the Unlucky Everydude getting a Magical Girlfriend due to a lightning strike hitting his computer, causing her to materlize into the real world, with some fanservicey moments here and there. Then around the time Number 20 and 40 appear, there are much more fanservicey moments, Hitoshi is made out to be a huge pervert who only wants to get some nice action (whether it be from his computer program girlfriend or... actual Ecchi videogames) and there's more jokes that go pretty far for an overall comedy series with tearjerky moments, including things like Hitoshi arousing Number 30 enough and pinching her nipple.
- Seitokai Yakuindomo is about 21% school Slice of Life jokes, 10% height jokes, and 69% sex comedy. Though here, the protagonist (and only male) is the Straight Man — it's the surrounding girls who provide all of the lust and sex jokes. Surprisingly, it's not actually Ecchi, and the fanservice is pretty limited.
Films — Animation
Films — Live-Action
- Robert Crumb's comic strips surely are full of this.
- Milo Manara's work is, too.
- Happy Mania: A young woman sleeps her way into true love, with many semen jokes along the way.
- Red Ears: This enormously succesful Belgian comic book is nothing more than an erotic gag comic strip series.
- Sex Criminals is a series about two people who can freeze time when they have orgasms. They use this ability to rob banks so that they can use the money to save a library.
- Much of the work of Icelandic artist Kjartan Arnorsson is a comedic core wrapped in a thick layer of pornographic shenanigans, where the context may be sexual but the execution is often presented as silly, almost cartoonish antics.
- Brass: Most of the lead characters are highly lecherous, leading to a lot of sexual plots and sub-plots.
- Dream On is very much sex comedy, albeit with a gimmick.
- The Ancient Greek play Lysistrata demonstrates that the sex comedy is Older Than Feudalism.
- In the 19th century, Georges Feydeau not only popularised farce in the modern form, but was quite risqué about it by the standards of the time; many of his stories have elements of sex comedy, and the combination has remained popular in theatrical farce to the present.
- Among (non-porn) webcomics, Ménage à 3 is perhaps the purest example, alhough it's relatively subtle and even deconstructive about it — some of the time, anyway. Of its two spinoffs, Sticky Dilly Buns is more or less as much of a sex comedy but dials back on the explicitness and adds a little more Soap Opera, while Sandra on the Rocks is less about sex and substantially less explicit (despite the odd Shower Scene and a fair bit of nudity with careful use of the Scenery Censor), but still approaches the trope at times.
- Oglaf primarily revolves around sex comedy in a High Fantasy setting. Not all of it though, and some jokes could easily fit into a SFW fantasy parody.
- The infamous 1929 cartoon Everready Harton In Buried Treasure is a sex comedy.