If you wondered where the "red ears" came from.... Red Ears
in French) is an erotic Franco-Belgian Comics
series. The series was created in 1990 by Belgian Comics
strip artist Dany, but since him several other comic book artists have continued the series.
"Red Ears" is a gag comic. The jokes are almost never original material, but mostly bawdy comedy you probably heard before on the playground, in the office or in bars. Expect every possible sex cliché to turn up in this comic strip, from adulterers hiding in the closet to black guys having bigger penises than other races.
It's one of the best selling comic book series ever and a veritable Cash Cow Franchise
, inspiring calendars, magazines and animated cartoons.
Red Ears provides examples of the following tropes:
- A Man Is Always Eager: Whenever the occasion is presented men will have sex. Unless the punchline of the joke is that they are Comically Missing the Point.
- All Women Are Lustful: Most girls in this comic book series really enjoy having sex all the time.
- Anorgasmia: Played for Laughs.
- Art Shift: This series is drawn by different comic strip artists. So the drawing style can differ album by album.
- Auto Erotica: One gag has a young couple having sex in a car. The girl then says the guy was great and she adds that the fact that it was "their first time" was the most exciting part. The next shot shows the guy tick off another stripe on the side of his car.
- Bedroom Adultery Scene: Several gags have this scenario.
- Bed Trick:
- One gag has a man ordering a costume in a store. He tells the owner he wants to disguise himself as a famous actor in order to have sex with a girl he fancies a lot and who will be present a costumed party. His plan works and after having doggystyle sex with her he reveals his true identity. The masked girl then takes off her own mask and turns out to be the owner of the store, who happens to be gay!
- In another gag a women suspects her husband from having an affair behind her back. As he goes to a costumed party she decides to sneak in there too, unrecognizably dressed in costume, in order to see whether he would agree to have sex with another woman, not knowing that it's her. They indeed have sex with each other and she sees all her suspicions confirmed. Back home she waits until her husband returns and then asks him how the party was? He answers: "Awful! I lost my costume to someone else in a bet!"
- Bigger Is Better in Bed: According to the girls in this comic.
- Black Is Bigger in Bed: One gag shows a black man having sex with a girl on a deserted Island. His name is "Snow", which causes the girl to say: "I just can't wait to get back home and tell people I was stuck on a tropical Island by 40 centimeters of snow."
- Calling Your Orgasms: Couples do this a lot.
- Caught with Your Pants Down: Parents or partners often interrupt couples in the middle of sex.
- Comically Missing the Point: In one gag a woman is performing fellatio on a naïve guy. When she asks him: "Well, do you enjoy it?", he answers : "How would I know? You are the one having it in your mouth!"
- Coming and Going: Men sometimes do this in this comic.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Even masturbation is a topic in this comic.
- Did the Earth Move for You, Too?: A regular question.
- Do You Want to Copulate?: Also a regular question.
- Everybody Has Lots of Sex: Well duh!
- Excuse Plot: Every gag is simply there to provide cheap erotic thrills or cheap Sex Comedy.
- Explicit Content: It's not suitable for minors, though not that explicit either. Most of the time it's comparable to soft porn.
- FanService: This comic book series gives horny readers exactly what they want.
- FanDisservice: On the other hand, you'll occasionally encounter scenes where unattractive people are seen having sex.
- Femme Fatale: Several characters portray this function.
- Girl on Girl Is Hot: Though most jokes are mostly aimed at a heterosexual audience, lesbian scenes can be found too.
- The Grunting Orgasm: A popular trope.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: One gag features a man who looks like Frank Sinatra. Everyone he meets notices the resemblance and it annoys him beyond belief. Then, an attractive young lady says to him: "Say, you look a lot like Frank Sinatra." Whereupon the man bursts out singing "My Way".
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Prostitutes are always nice women willing to go along with anything as long as they get paid.
- The Immodest Orgasm: Several gags have very vocal girls sexually climaxing in the loudest way possible.
- Intercourse with You
- Interrupted Intimacy: Of course the classic "oh no, my husband is home" situations are here too.
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: Also a recurring joke scenario.
- Minimalist Cast: There is no protagonist or recurring character. Each gag has its own set of one time-characters.
- My Girl Is a Slut: The female partners always have sex.
- Nameless Narrative: This gag comic has no recurring characters and thus many remain nameless.
- No Plot? No Problem!: First of all, this is a gag comic strip series. So there's no continuing story. Second of all, the plot and even the comedy aren't as important as the erotic scenes.
- One Thing Led to Another: A lot of gags start this way.
- Peace Pipe: One gag features two Indian Maiden bickering with each other. To end their argument they are given the "peace pipe", which is literally a Native American named "Peace" whom they can give a blowjob. (Note "piper" ("to pipe") is French for "giving a man oral pleasure".)
- Print Long Runners: In publication since 1990.
- Professionals Do It on Desks: When a gag starts in an office, this is usually what happens next.
- Rape as Comedy: Some gags, luckily not all of them.
- Really Gets Around: Everybody!
- Sex as Rite-of-Passage: Women are willing to help virgins get deflowered.
- Sex Comedy: Summarizes this comic strip best.
- Sex God: Sometimes.
- Sex Is Cool: Most sex scenes feature young and sexy people and the atmosphere is always naughty, but amusing.
- Sex Is Good: Certainly for comic book sales...
- Something Else Also Rises: One gag has three old men watching a young girl. They are really excited, but depressed since they are physically unable to have sex anymore. One of them starts giggling, despite being apparently unable to get a Raging Stiffie except for once a year. He acknowledges this, but at least he has this annual erection at that very moment.
- Their First Time: Also a lot of gags.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: The women tend to be drawn more attractive than the often dopey looking men.
- You Are Who You Eat: One gag feature a couple in a restaurant. Each time the man wants to order something the woman interrupts him and orders carrots or carrot related dishes for him. Eventually the waiter asks her why she does this, to which she answers: "He fucks like a rabbit, so he should eat like a rabbit too."
- You Need to Get Laid: Characters help each other out with this.