"I can't help it, I just swoon when I look at this beautiful girl. To me, it seems like she doesn't even realize how gorgeous she is because she just seems like the sweetest, most approachable girl-next-door type. The fact that she is an immensely talented musician is just icing on the cake. I love to jam out to her songs in my car... and this coming from a 21-year-old college guy who isn't exactly within the target demographic for Ms. Swift's music. I can't help it, I'm just fully crushing on this girl. It feels like Junior High all over again."
They are The Beautiful Elite
. Even the ugly ones
are usually just Beautiful All Along
In addition to their attractiveness, the talent — be it acting, singing, or something more strange and out there — is what gets the attention of the media, who then brings it to the hungry viewing world.
Take a gorgeous person, inundate the world with their image, and there's the illusion of closeness and attainability.
Thus people are prone to fall victim to the celeb crush, which can vary from hopeless, depressive mooning to innocent fantasizing to crazy schemes to meet and woo the object of their affections.
Teenagers everywhere of both genders will fall prey to the charms of the hottie du jour. (And not just teenagers, either, as evidenced by the page quote.)
Happens in Real Life
as well as in fiction. Fictional examples can include Yandere
, Loony Fan
, or Stalker with a Crush
, though those can also be Ripped from the Headlines
too. They may even be benign crushes, but where's the story in that?
The opposite of this trope is Perverse Sexual Lust
More than a roomful of fans crushing on a celebrity could be a fan mob
, which is sort of the inverse of an Angry Mob
. Fan mobs
tend to want to pepper their crush with kisses while simultaneously ripping off clothing or props for souvenirs.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In P. G. Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster short story "The Love that Purifies", Aunt Dahlia has a bet with a friend that her son Bonzo can behave better than her Aunt Agatha's offspring Thomas while a mutual acquaintance is staying with Bertie; Bonzo is toeing the line so he can be worthy of movie star Lillian Gish, who he has a big crush on. Unfortunately, Thomas is behaving even better, because he has a crush on Clara Bow.
- In Cinder, Cinder's stepsisters have a huge crush on Prince Kai. So does Cinder herself, despite all her denial.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Harmony clearly has one: "No threesomes! Unless it's boy, boy, girl. Or Charlize Theron."
- In Smallville, while Clark has always been a super-Chick Magnet, he got his share of crazy fangirls when he becomes an in-universe celebrity in Infamous. Trust me, they aren't half as crazy as the real world fans of Tom Welling.
- New Tricks has had a case or two of the trio being involved in a case where they fancied the person when younger.
- The Brady Bunch: Marsha Brady had a crush on Desi Arnaz Jr. and later, Davy Jones.
- On Night Court Harry Stone had a non-sexual crush on Mel Torme. Non-sexual...but still borderline stalkery.
- Analysed in Coupling with Jeff's theory about what happens when two lovers' Celebrity Crushes meet — which occurs at the end of the episode, between Steve's crush (Mariella Frostrup) and Susan's (Angus Deayton). Jeff reckons this phenomenon is the reason there are so many celebrity marriages.
Jeff: If you fantasize about someone else during sex, and so does your partner, and, you know, those two people that you're fantasizing about happen to meet while you're still doing it, they're bound to sense something, aren't they? Because they're connecting on, like, a virtual plane. So can you imagine what it was like when Posh first met Beckham? They were the epicenter of a non-stop, nationwide virtual shag!
- One crazy woman not only has a crush on actor Joey, but actually thinks he is a doctor called Drake Ramoray, a character he plays in Show Within a Show Days of Our Lives.
- Rachel also had a Celeb Crush on Joey in "The One That Could've Been".
- Monica has hots for the actor Jean-Claude van Damme who plays himself as an actor in a film being made in New York. The gang is allowed to be on the set because they are friends with Marcel the monkey who used to belong to Ross. Rachel has guts to go to talk to Jean-Claude and he finds her cute and asks her out, and Monica thus thinks Rachel stole him from her.
- In the one with the laminated list, Chandler introduces the concept of having an agreement with your partner about being able to have sex with five celebrities of your choice, should you have a chance to score.
- Chandler's girlfriend Janice has the magician David Copperfield among her freebies.
- Chandler's own list includes Kim Basinger, Cindy Crawford, Halle Berry, Yasmine Bleeth, and Jessica Rabbit.
- Rachel promptly makes her selection on the spot: Chris ODonnel, John F. Kennedy Jr., Daniel Day Lewis, Sting, and Parker Stevenson.
- Ross spends the whole episode trying to come up with a perfect list, and his final version involves Uma Thurman, Winona Ryder, Elizabeth Hurley, Michelle Pfieffer, and Dorothy Hamill. He wanted to include Isabella Rosselini, but the guys convinced him that she's too international, so his odds would be very low. Too bad Rosselini did appeared in their favourite coffee place; however, Rachel allowed him to hit on her despite being out of the list.
- When Rachel and Phoebe discuss pregnancy hormones, Phoebe says she remembers trying to steal a cardboard cutout of Evander Holyfield when she was in her forth month. At the end we find out she did steal it and she offers it to Rachel. However, her affection for the cutout is too strong and she cannot bring herself to lend it to her. Quite an example of in-universe Perverse Sexual Lust.
- Ryan has a 'Free Five' list: five celebrities that he can sleep with and it 'won't count'. This causes problems, naturally, when one of those actresses works with the team briefly.
- In "The Squab and the Quill", Ioan Gruffudd plays Eric Vaughn, a genius-level inventor, billionaire and all-round innovator. He's Famed in Story and both Beckett and the coroner fancy him and gush about him being handsome, hot, rich, and having a British accent.
- The Suite Life of Zack and Cody establishes that London and Maddie have a major crush on Orlando Bloom (which caused a Noodle Incident) and both are quite enamoured with Jesse McCartney as well, when he pops up as a Special Guest.
- The Colbert Report for a long time had a Running Gag of the fictional Stephen Colbert lusting for the real CNN anchorwoman Soledad O'Brien.
- He also harbors one for Paulina Porizkova, which always pops up when her husband, Ric Ocasek of The Cars, makes appearances.
- Not the Nine O'Clock News had a song dedicated to a woman's latest crush, Ayatollah Khomeini. The lyrics indicate she had a similar thing for Anwar Sadat, Menachem Begin and Helmut Schmidt.
- In Mystery Science Theater 3000, Gypsy's infatuation with Richard Basehart is a Running Gag.
- In the episode "Hollywood Babylon" of Supernatural, Dean has a crush on an actor named Tara Benchley. When he meets her on the set of a horror movie, they end up having sex in her trailer. In "Rock and a Hard Place", Dean had sex with a fictional retired porn actress he was a huge fan of.
- On the show Stargate SG-1, Jack O'Neill has a small crush on Mary Steenburgen.
- On Spaced, Tim Bisley has a crush on Gillian Anderson.
- "Your Voice" by The Downtown Fiction.
- The Pixies' "Make Believe" is a joke song about drummer David Lovering's crush on Debbie Gibson.
- "Superstar" by Taylor Swift.
- "Pictures of Lily" by The Who, about a boy who falls in love with a picture of a dead celebrity.
- "My Baby's in Love with Eddie Vedder" by "Weird Al" Yankovic.
- "Élodie"note by David Mead.
- "Natalie Portman" by Ozma.
- Several appear in Dork Tower over the years, most notably Matt with Sarah Michelle Geller and Carson the muskrat with Megan Morrone. Megan refuses to discuss whether her baby is actually Carson's...
- Vriska from Homestuck has one on Nicolas Cage, complete with Stalker Shrine.
- John, the guy who first showed a video of Cage to Vriska, has one on Liv Tyler. Or, if you ask Dave, Matt McConnaughey.
- In 2010, some guys at Auburn launched a website called "A Hug From Taylor Swift", which aimed to get exactly that. Taylor found the website, and proceeded to put them through three rounds of challenges if they really wanted one. They aced them. After they completed the final challenge—get people to an auditorium and lead them in karaoke—she popped up and gave them their hugs. And kisses. And concert tickets. And put on a bonus concert to boot.
- Elvis, Michael Jackson and The Beatles had this problem in spades, to the point they had trouble going out in public.
- The majority of the cast of the Harry Potter movies have fans with crushes and have since the first film.
- Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby as well. To the point it was parodied by Looney Tunes. Porky hired chicken crooners based on each of them to make the hens lay eggs.
- David Letterman has a Stalker with a Crush type Loony Fan.
- Nicolas Cage has also had a Loony Fan break into his home naked.