"I remember growing up knowing I wanted to be on the stage. I wanted to get to London as soon as possible and start auditioning for theater."Catherine Zeta-Jones (born Catherine Zeta Jones; 25 September 1969) is a Welsh actress. She began her career on stage at an early age. She is married to Michael Douglas.
open/close all folders
She appeared in
TV & Film
- America's Sweethearts
- Catherine the Great
- High Fidelity
- Intolerable Cruelty
- Ocean's Twelve
- Red 2
- Rock of Ages
- Side Effects
- Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
- Splitting Heirs
- The Darling Buds Of May
- The Haunting (1999)
- The Mask of Zorro
- The Phantom
- The Rebound
- The Return of the Native
- The Terminal
- Young Indiana Jones
- Actor-Inspired Element: She was cast in Traffic while pregnant, so they rewrote her character to be pregnant as well.
- Awesome, Dear Boy: She was offered the role of Roxie in Chicago but she requested the slightly smaller part of Velma, just so she could sing "All That Jazz".
- Best Known for the Fanservice:
- The Mask of Zorro is mostly remembered for the scene where her nightdress gets cut off, leaving her in Godiva Hair.
- Entrapment likewise is remembered for her in a Spy Catsuit squeezing into various positions to get around a laser tripwire.
- The Haunting (1999) is remembered for her being a sensual bisexual.
- The Cast Show Off: She's actually a trained singer and dancer, which she was all too happy to show off in Chicago.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Cut her long hair into a '20s Bob Haircut for Chicago. The script didn't call for it but Catherine chose to do it so that the press wouldn't be able to accuse her of not doing her own dancing - as long hair could hide her face and make people think it was a double. Ironically she wears a wig in America's Sweethearts but has the short hair in a scene from the Film Within a Film.
- Fake Nationality: She rarely finds herself playing Welsh characters. After The Mask of Zorro people mistook her for Spanish for a while, and she was often cast as Spicy Latina characters, despite having no Latin ancestry herself. She has naturally played a lot of Fake Americans in her time as well.
- Star-Making Role: While The Darling Buds Of May brought her to the attention of the British public, it was The Mask of Zorro that turned her into an international household name. In June of 1998 she was reported as the most searched actress on Yahoo.
- What Could Have Been: She was the first choice for Claudia in the film version of Nine. The part was quite small, and she wanted it expanded. When Rob Marshall refused, she backed out and Nicole Kidman got the part instead.