Charlize Theron (born August 7, 1975) is a South African-American actress, best known for such movies as Monster, Hancock, The Italian Job remake, The Devil's Advocate, Ĉon Flux, The Road, Young Adult and Mad Max: Fury Road.After working as a model in her teens, she took a one-way trip to Los Angeles in 1998 with the hope of getting into films. She played a non-speaking victim role in Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest but got attention as the ruthless girlfriend of James Spader in 2 Days in the Valley; this marked the beginning of her tendency to play characters who get physically punished in that Theron's character Helga gets shot in the gut at the beginning of the third act and takes a long time to die.After a string of major roles in not entirely unforgettable movies, she played serial killer Aileen Wuornos in Monster and got the Academy Award for Best Actress. Since then she's sought out complex and sometimes unsympathetic roles in quality pictures. She was highly praised for her work as the Jerkass protagonist of Young Adult, and the fandom went wild when she shaved her head and went Action Girl in Mad Max: Fury Road, in which she was the Supporting Protagonist.
This actress' works provide examples of:
- Chronically Killed Actor: Has died in a wide variety of ways throughout her career: impaled by a giant plant demon; shot in the gut; committed suicide after being raped by Satan; died of cancer; executed by lethal injection; fallen from a great height; crushed to death by a spaceship falling on her, etc.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Has played quite a few characters who have this, Aileen Wuornos and Imperator Furiosa being the most glaring examples.note
- Beauty Inversion: Her role in Monster, which won her an Oscar.
- Fan Disservice: Beautiful as she is, she's not really known for doing enticing nude scenes...
- Fanservice: ...But for every The Devil's Advocate or Monster there's a Reindeer Games or The Cider House Rules, among several other exceptions to the above.
- Large Ham: In both Monster and Snow White and the Huntsman.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: She won an Oscar for playing serial killer Aileen Wuornos in Monster and later portrayed the evil witch in Snow White and the Huntsman and the gobsmackingly selfish, insensitive and immature Mavis Gary in Young Adult. In contrast, she herself is a UN Messenger of Peace and her charity CTAOP helps to keep young African people from HIV/AIDS. She's also involved in women's rights organisations, is pro-choice, and announced that she wouldn't get married until same-sex marriage was legal across the US.
- Pretty in Mink: In Men of Honor, she was a socialite in a blue dress and brown mink stole. She invites Carl, who is aspiring to the the first black American naval diver, to an all white club, just for a lark. Sunday even notes her attire to ascertain her motives.
- Supporting Protagonist: Her performance as Imperator Furiosa in Mad Max: Fury Road provides the trope image.
- Rape as Drama: Happens to many of her characters. Joked in a press conference that she sometimes thinks that producers say of a character "Does she get raped and cry? Send it to Charlize."