The Astronaut's Wife is a 1999 science fiction/thriller film written and directed by Rand Ravich, starring Johnny Depp as an astronaut returning from a space mission and doesn't seem quite right, as his wife (Charlize Theron) suspects something is wrong with him.
Tropes associated with The Astronaut's Wife:
- Alien Invasion
- Dead Man Writing: Sherman leaves a videotaped message openly saying "If you're watching this, I'm dead."
- Does Not Like Shoes: Jillian is often barefoot. There are some extreme close-up shots of her bare feet, most notably near the end when she leads the alien to believe she's about to electrocute herself.
- Downer Ending: See Hope Spot.
- Driven to Suicide: Natalie Streck, who electrocutes herself with a radio in the bathtub after her husband dies.
- Eldritch Abomination: The alien.
- Hope Spot: When the titular Astronaut's Wife tricks the alien into thinking she was going to commit suicide, she turns the tables and electrocutes her possessed husband. Unfortunately, the alien comes out of the husband's body and possesses her
- Invisible Aliens: It does become visible near the end of the movie.
- Puppeteer Parasite