is a 2005 live-action film directed by Karyn Kusama and based loosely on the iconic animated series of the same name
by Peter Chung. It starred Charlize Theron
as the assassin Ĉon Flux, but otherwise was so far divorced from the original material that Peter Chung was embarrassed to have it associated with him.
In the year 2011, a devastating virus wiped out 99% of the world's population. The remaining survivors live in the idyllic city of Bregna, but like all post-apocalyptic utopias everything is not as it seems. Ĉon Flux is a member of a rebel group known as the Monicans who seek to undermine the government (or something), but when her sister Una is taken on suspicion of also being a Monican (she's not), Ĉon is sent to kill the government's leader, Trevor Goodchild, she ends up uncovering secrets about Bregna that pretty much throw her ideas about herself and her world down the stairs.
This film contains examples of:
- Ancient Keeper: The Keeper
- Based on a Great Big Lie: The pandemic.
- Cain and Abel: Trevor and his brother Orin.
- Canon Foreigner: Orin.
- City in a Bottle: In the film, Ĉon is a Matrix-style opposition guerrilla out to bring down her closed city which is straight out of Logan's Run, and her lover is a totalitarian Reluctant Mad Scientist trying to maintain the illusion of a global pandemic in order to perfect humanity.
- Cloning Blues: Done much straighter and more simplistically than in the show.
- Cool Airship
- Decomposite Character: The Anti-Hero/Anti-Villain Trevor Goodchild becomes two characters: the heroic Trevor and his blond villain brother Orin.
- Dragon-in-Chief: Orin.
- Enemy Mine: Trevor and Ĉon are forced to team up when the depth of Orin's nastiness becomes obvious.
- Expy: Orin basically has some of Trevor's evil traits from the cartoon.
- Faceless Goons: The Breen soldiers.
- Garden of Evil: The defences of the "government zone".
- Gatling Good: Freya's weapon.
- Heel-Face Turn: Trevor.
- Last Bastion
- Mythology Gag: At the start of the film, Ĉon grabs a fly with her eyelashes.
- Trevor died an unknown number of times. Because they were clones.
- With that being the case, Ĉon died at least once.
- Only once. It's a plot element that Ĉon is the first time Trevor's wife got reincarnated.
- Nothing Left to Do but Die: The Keeper.
- Reincarnation Romance: Ĉon and Trevor.
- Sound-Only Death: Claudius.
- Spy Catsuit: Not as stripperiffic as in the animated series (in equal parts to keep the censors happy and to obey the laws of physics), but the Monicans do love their spandex.
- Town with a Dark Secret: The plague that struck in 2011 sterilized the survivors. The Goodchilds have been keeping humanity going through secret cloning while Trevor and his clone descendants look for a cure, but the memories of the clones' past lives were starting to bleed through, slowly driving the population mad. Secret within the secret: not only did he find a cure, but women were starting to conceive naturally. But Orin had the test subjects and the pregnant women murdered to keep this a secret and keep them in control. He even went so far as to state a coup in order to keep his secret.