Creator: James Spader
James Todd Spader (born 1960) is an acclaimed American actor. Famed for playing sex-crazed weirdos and preppy snobs, Spader has appeared in many films throughout his respected career, with roles such as Troubled, but Cute voyeur Graham in sex, lies, and videotape, Steff in Pretty in Pink, Edward Grey in Secretary, Daniel Jackson in Stargate, and drug dealer Rip in Less Than Zero. Today, he's best known among audiences for his role as Alan Shore in The Practice and then Boston Legal.He's currently the Magnificent Bastard lead of The Blacklist. Oh—and he's Ultron.
Spader's career provides examples of tropes such as:
- The Casanova: What most of his characters could be summed up as.
- Dramatic Pause: His role in Secretary is practically built on this trope.
- Jerkass: In the 80s, his area of expertise was this role.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Hugely contrasting with his status as the quintessential yuppie of the 80s, Spader is noted by his co-stars as being hugely supportive and an all round nice guy.
- Money, Dear Boy: Has unashamedly admitted to half his career being due to this trope, Stargate in particular.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Pretty Boy
- Talkative Loon: Can come across as this when an interviewer gets the ball rolling.
- Teen Idol
- Those Two Actors: With Robert Downey, Jr.. Can't forget about Andrew Mc Carthy, of course (three time costar).
- Guttural Growler: Many of his "introspective character moment" balcony scenes on Boston Legal could also double as a Ricola advert.
- Pretty in Pink (1986)
- Mannequin (1987)
- Baby Boom (1987)
- Less Than Zero (1987)
- Wall Street (1987)
- sex, lies, and videotape (1989)
- Bad Influence (1990)
- Bob Roberts (1992)
- Dream Lover (1993)
- Wolf (1994)
- Stargate (1994)
- Crash (1996)
- Supernova (2000)
- The Watcher (2000)
- Secretary (2002)
- The Practice (2003-2004)
- Boston Legal (2004-2008)
- Shorts (2009)
- The Office (2011-2012)
- Lincoln (2012)
- The Blacklist (2013-)
- Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) as Ultron