Amy Lou Adams is an American actress born August 20, 1974. She started her career as a theater actress. Her first film role was in the 1999 Black Comedy Drop Dead Gorgeous
. She appeared in minor roles for several years. She received an Academy Award
nomination for her performance in the 2005 film Junebug
, but it was her leading role in Disney's 2007 musical Enchanted
that made her a star.
And she also played Tara Maclay's cousin in Buffy the Vampire Slayer
. Not to be confused with Isla Fisher
She provides examples of:
- Academy Awards: She's been nominated five times, but has yet to win.
- The Cast Showoff: Before becoming a film actress, she worked in theater (more specifically, dinner theater), making her an easy fit for the singing and dancing required for Enchanted.
- The Danza: Miss Adams's character in Her is called Amy.
- Dye Hard: Despite being best known as a Fiery Redhead, she's a natural blonde.
- Heroes Want Redheads: If she's not the Red Headed Heroine, shes usually The Hero's Love Interest.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: She played these a lot.
- Ms. Fanservice: At times. Particularly in Psycho Beach Party and American Hustle.
- Older Than They Look: She is 40, but looks at least ten years younger.
- Playing Against Type: In The Fighter, where she trades in her innocent persona for a sexy, no-bull, tough-as-nails lass who isn't afraid to throw down or swear. Like the film itself, her role received a lot of praise. Her ice-cold Lady Macbeth character in The Master is an even more dramatic example, as well as her scheming, conniving turn in American Hustle.
- Pretty in Mink: Has worn full length fur coats in Miss Pettigrew and American Hustle.
- Promoted Fangirl: She grew up a fan of the old Superman films, and constantly auditioned for the role of Lois Lane. After several misses (though she once played Jodi Melville in an episode of Smallville), she finally landed the role for Man of Steel, which made her very happy.
- Red Headed Heroine: Practically all her roles after Enchanted.
- Star-Making Role: Her well-received leading role in Disney's Enchanted, which became a breakout hit, instantly turned her into a star. Though before, she had managed to receive an Oscar nomination for Junebug. Such a situation isn't exactly uncommon, however, as several actors have received respect from the Academy before becoming more familiar to audiences in sweeping, broad hits (Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet managed to earn nominations before Titanic had come out, after all).
- Those Two Actors: Apart from Amy Adams, who else links Charlie Wilson's War, Doubt and The Master? Why, Philip Seymour Hoffman.
- Tom Hanks Syndrome: Her films in The New Tens with the sole exception of The Muppets have been Darker and Edgier. That being said, her films pre-Enchanted were usually Dramedy or/and Black Comedy.