Microwave the Dog
Someone killing a pet by putting it into a microwave oven and turning it on. The pet might explode as well. This can be a case of Kick the Dog, or (as a popular Urban Legend has it) just some misguided old lady or child trying to dry the pet out after it got wet. Has nothing to do with I Need to Go Iron My Dog.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- This urban legend is mentioned in Yakitate!! Japan as "proof" that Americans make frivolous lawsuits, when an American baker shows up.
- In Fred Hembeck Destroys the Marvel Universe, Ant-Man is killed when an old lady sticks him in a microwave oven. "POP!"
- In Urban Legend, Hootie the dog gets microwaved by the killer in order to draw one of the victims out. As with all the other killings, this was a direct reference to an urban legend.
- One of the gremlins in Gremlins is killed in a microwave. (Yes, it's a pet.)
- In the prologue of The Willies, an old woman tries to dry her poodle off in the microwave, and it explodes.
- In American Vampire, one of the vampires explodes the protagonist's dog in the microwave.
- An "Asian" character in Hanger microwaves and eats puppies.
- Snakes on a Plane had one of the flight attendants microwave a snake, causing it to explode. The microwave even had a snake preset.
- Used in Literature/Gone as part of Drake's backstory.
- The MythBusters refused to test the myth that you can dry a poodle in the microwave, despite playing it up as a myth at the beginning of the segment. This was the first explicit instance of the show's No Animals Were Harmed policy.
- In Shameless, eight-year-old Carl microwaves a goldfish, apparently for fun.
- "Microwave Cat" by Feo Y Loco.
- The W's song "Stupid" is all about stories of people doing stupid things, and the first verse is all about the urban legend of the woman trying to microwave her poodle to dry it off. "The poor little poodle never heard the bell ding. / He went out with a bang, if you know what I mean. / Stupid, that was stupid..."
- "Weird Al" Yankovic's song "I'll Sue Ya" features a line about this:
"I sued Panasonic. They never told me not to use their microwave to dry off my cat!"
- In Maniac Mansion, you can kill Weird Ed's hamster by putting it in the microwave. Show him the exploded remains if you want to get killed.
- In the sequel, Day Of The Tentacle
- The original incident is canon and the owner of the animal needed years of therapy to overcome the trauma.
- A puzzle is solved by really using a future microwave to dry a live hamster (yes, it does survive, and Laverne remarks out loud that kids trying to imitate the gesture would have bad things happen to them).
- A rather infamous Easter Egg from Half-Life is at the beginning of the game, when you can heat a casserole in the microwave and cause it to explode. The Fan Remake Black Mesa also includes this, and then does one better by putting a headcrab in the same microwave after the resonance cascade, which you can make explode as well.
- In Resident Evil 6, there are points in Chris and Leon's scenarios in which they can shoot off a Rasklapanje's hand. Choose to attack the still-ambulatory hand near a microwave, and instead of throwing it away from them, they will shove it into the microwave and power it on. A few seconds later, you hear the hand explode.
- Averted on every major microwave show where the creators usually have a strict policy against microwaving living things, most refuse to even microwave live insects. A few even refuse to microwave currently living plants.
- There are some videos on YouTube of live animals being microwaved but most have over 80% dislikes and are flagged for violating community guidelines.
- Inverted Trope in The Amazing World of Gumball: Gumball accidentally creates life when he puts a jar full of disgusting goo in the microwave.
- The Gremlins example is parodied on Family Guy. Instead of turning into a Gremlin, the Mogwai becomes Fran Drescher. Peter microwaves her anyway.
- Shake from Aqua Teen Hunger Force spent the entire episode "Reedickyoulous" sticking Meatwad's cats in the microwave, resulting in the entire backyard being full of graves. When the pets are revived as zombies by radioactive poop, they try to put Shake in the microwave.
- Yes, someone actually did this. To a kitten. Because she thought it had attacked her goldfish. Needless to say, Don't Try This at Home!