Someone killing a pet by putting it into a microwave oven and turning it on. The pet might explode as well.
This can be a case of Kick the Dog
, or (as a popular Urban Legend has it
) just some misguided old lady or child trying to dry the pet out after it got wet. Has nothing to do with I Need to Go Iron My Dog
Anime and Manga
- This urban legend is mentioned in Yakitate!! Japan as "proof" that Americans make frivolous lawsuits, when an American baker shows up.
- In Urban Legend, Hootie the dog gets microwaved by the killer in order to draw one of the victims out. As with all the other killings, this was a direct reference to an urban legend.
- One of the gremlins in Gremlins is killed in a microwave. (Yes, it's a pet.)
- In the prologue of The Willies, an old woman tries to dry her poodle off in the microwave, and it explodes.
- In American Vampire, one of the vampires explodes the protagonist's dog in the microwave.
- An "Asian" character in Hanger microwaves and eats puppies.
- In Maniac Mansion, you can kill Weird Ed's hamster by putting it in the microwave. Show him the exploded remains if you want to get killed.
- In the sequel, Day Of The Tentacle
- The original incident is canon and the owner of the animal needed years of therapy to overcome the trauma.
- A puzzle is solved by really using a future microwave to dry a live hamster (yes, it does survive, and Laverne remarks out loud that kids trying to imitate the gesture would have bad things happen to them).
- A rather infamous Easter Egg from Half-Life is at the beginning of the game, when you can heat a casserole in the microwave and cause it to explode. The Fan Remake Black Mesa also includes this, and then does one better by putting a headcrab in the same microwave after the resonance cascade, which you can make explode as well.
- Inverted Trope in The Amazing World of Gumball: Gumball accidentally creates life when he puts a jar full of disgusting goo in the microwave.
- The Gremlins example is parodied on Family Guy. Instead of turning into a Gremlin, the Mogwai becomes Fran Drescher. Peter microwaves her anyway.