British actress, born February 23, 1983, best known for such movies as My Summer Of Love
, The Devil Wears Prada
, Sunshine Cleaning
, The Young Victoria
, The Great Buck Howard
, The Wolfman (2010)
, Philip K Dick
's adaptation The Adjustment Bureau
Married to John Krasinski
of the American version of The Office
, whom she has a daughter with.
- Action Girl: After some moments of this in Looper and a few forays of Action Survivor in The Adjustment Bureau, goes full-on this in Edge of Tomorrow and in the upcoming film Sicario she will play a police officer chasing a group of mercenaries.
- The Danza: As Emily Charlton in The Devil Wears Prada.
- Deadpan Snarker: Some her roles and herself as well. Of the classic, dry British variety.
- Dye Hard: She's a brunette, but not often than not plays a blonde. Not to mention her breakout role in The Devil Wears Prada being of a redhead.
- Fake American: Probably plays this more than her own nationality. Most notably in Looper.
- Fanservice: Charlie Wilson's War and Edge of Tomorrow. Especially when she does that yoga pose in her introductory scene in the latter.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: The difference between her character in The Devil Wears Prada and herself are immense. She is friendly, humble, and is considered by the cast and crew to be a great pleasure to work with. Tellingly enough, she befriends a lot of the people she's worked with.
- Old Shame: Starred in a quickly forgotten ABC miniseries, Empire, simply for the money. She later called it "the sad, little brother of Rome.
- Precision F-Strike: In Looper
LISTEN UP, FUCKER!!!! I have shot and buried three vagrants in the past year. If you want to know the Christís honest truth Iím starting to get a taste for it. So I donít care what hobo sob story youíve got, I get a dozen a week and it cuts no cash with me. Itís me and my husband here, weíre broke and angry at our lot in this world and heavily armed. So take some corn and move on, but if you show your face again I will cut you THE FUCK in half!"
- Averted in real life, since she actually does have a potty mouth.
- Real-Life Relative: She presented her sister Felicity to her The Devil Wears Prada co-star Stanley Tucci after the devastating death of Tucci's wife. They married in 2011 and Emily became his sister-in-law.
- Self-Parody: In The Muppets, she has a small role as the secretary of a prima donna fashion editor... only instead of Miranda Priestly, it's Miss Piggy.
- She Really Can Sing: We all know she's a fantastic actress, but who knew she could sing so good as well?.
- Not a surprise, since she did sing one song in her Golden Globe winning role in Gideon's Daughter and a verse at the end of one of her ex-boyfriend's, Michael Buble, songs, his cover of Mr. and Mrs. Jones.
- Super OCD: Real Life example. She's been diagnosed with OCD, and complained in 2012 that it had gotten worse.
- Toilet Humor: Contrasting her classy British demeanor, Into the Woods co-star Anna Kendrick describes Emily as "the kind of gal that loves a fart joke".
- What Could Have Been: Was cast as Black Widow for Iron Man 2 (and subsequently, The Avengers and the following Marvel films), but had to pull out due to being contractually obligated by Fox (due to being in The Devil Wears Prada, a Fox film) to star in Gulliver's Travels (2010), which was a massive flop.