"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."James Byron Dean (February 8, 1931 – September 30, 1955) was an American actor.He is best known for the movies Rebel Without a Cause, East of Eden, and Giant... with good reason, as those are the only three films in which he had a starring role; he was killed in a car accident at the age of twenty-four, just as his career was starting to take off. Dean was the first actor to receive a posthumous Academy Award nomination for Best Actor, and remains the only actor to have received more than one posthumous nomination.A symbol of cool for teenagers of the 1950s and nowadays for his being (reportedly) bisexual. His relatively short career and enduring popularity also makes him something of a real-life Ensemble Darkhorse.The roles that made him famous (Cal Trask in East of Eden and Jim Stark in Rebel Without a Cause) were Troubled, but Cute guys with Freudian Excuses; his role as Jett Rink in Giant was an attempt to break away from being typecast as troubled teens.
— James Dean
James Dean is commonly associated with the following tropes:
- All Girls Want Bad Boys
- Ambiguous Disorder: He was known for his extreme mood swings and may have suffered from undiagnosed Bipolar Disorder.
- Badass Biker
- Bi the Way: When asked if he was homosexual, he is reported to have replied, "Well, I'm certainly not going through life with one hand tied behind my back." In recent years, his male best friend revealed that they were sexually intimate. He is also known to have had relationships with women.
- Cool Loser: One of the archetypes with which he is most associated.
- Iconic Outfit: His iconic Red jacket,white T-Shirt and Jeans in Rebel Without A Cause.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Elizabeth Taylor.
- Sedgwick Speech: His passenger on the fateful car trip survived, and reported that his last words were reassurance that the other driver could see them.
- Teen Idol
- Troubled, but Cute