Creator: Henry Cavill
Henry Cavill (born May 5, 1983) is a British actor, known mainly for his roles in The Tudors, Immortals and Man of Steel — as well as his bad luck, consisting in a long string of near-misses in landing important roles before his recent rise to prominence.
- Humphrey in Stardust (2007)
- Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk, in The Tudors
- Theseus in Immortals (2011)
- Will Shaw in The Cold Light of Day (2012)
- Superman in the DC Extended Universe (2013-present)
- Napoleon Solo in The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015) (2015)
This actor provides examples of:
- Badass Baritone: Henry's deep voice conveys how strong and determined his characters are, such as Superman and Theseus.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Underwent a very intense workout regimen to look like Jim Lee's Superman in Man of Steel. Inverted for Cold Light Of Day where he was asked to slim down his muscle quite a bit, which he admits he would never do again.
- Fake American: In a handful of his works.
- Fan Community Nickname: His fans have gotten the name "The Cavillry."
- Mr. Fanservice: See those works listed above? He's this in all of them. Loads of Shirtless Scenes.
- One of Us: In addition to being a big comic book fan, he also loves World of Warcraft to the point that he nearly missed out on the call offering him Man of Steel because he was playing it at the time. He also mentions playing Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 2 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. His favorite game is Borderlands 2.
- In his personal blog, Dragon Age lead writer David Gaider claimed that, had he known Cavill liked Dragon Age and Mass Effect back when he was on The Tudors, he would have lobbied hard to have him do some voice acting in one of their games. Alas, now that he's Superman, Gaider laments that he's out of their price range.
- Promoted Fanboy: Loves comic books even though he admits that he didn't get to read them much growing up and will now be playing Superman.
- Star-Making Role: Playing as the iconic Superman really put him under everyone's spotlight.
- What Could Have Been:
- He was nearly cast as Superman a decade before in Superman Returns, but lost the role to Brandon Routh. He was also one of the final two contenders for James Bond in Casino Royale (2006), but was ultimately deemed too young for the role which was given to the other candidate, Daniel Craig.
- Harry Potter fans campaigned for him to be cast as Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, but Robert Pattinson landed the role instead. Years later, Twilight was set to become a movie, and author Stephenie Meyer expressly said she pictured Henry Cavill when writing Edward Cullen, but he wasn't cast, being considered too old, losing the role to...Robert Pattinson. Again.
- In fact, he was named the "Unluckiest Man in Hollywood" by Empire due to his long series of near-misses.