Henry Cavill (born May 5, 1983) is a British actor, known mainly for his roles in The Tudors, Immortals and Man of Steel — as well as his bad luck, consisting in a long string of near-misses in landing important roles before his recent rise to prominence.
- Stardust (2007) as Humphrey
- The Tudors (2007 — 2010) as Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk
- Immortals (2011) as Theseus
- The Cold Light of Day (2012) as Will Shaw
- DC Extended Universe (2013 — present) as Clark Kent / Superman:
- The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (2015) as Napoleon Solo
This actor provides examples of:
- Dyeing for Your Art: Inverted for The Cold Light Of Day where he was asked to slim down his muscle quite a bit, which he admits he would never do again.
- Fan Community Nickname: His fans have gotten the name "The Cavillry."
- Lantern Jaw of Justice: Who do you think his incarnation of Superman gets it from?
- One of Us:
- In addition to being a big comic book fan, he also loves World of Warcraft to the point that he nearly missed out on the call offering him Man of Steel because he was playing it at the time. He also mentions playing Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 2 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. His favorite game is Borderlands 2.
- In his personal blog, Dragon Age lead writer David Gaider claimed that, had he known Cavill liked Dragon Age and Mass Effect back when he was on The Tudors, he would have lobbied hard to have him do some voice acting in one of their games. Alas, now that he's Superman, Gaider laments that he's out of their price range.
- What Could Have Been: He became rather famous for being among the top three contenders for certain major roles, including Superman in a movie in development in 2003 (that eventually became Superman Returns with Brandon Routh), Cedric Diggory in Harry Potter, Edward in Twilight and even James Bond in Casino Royale. Him finally getting the role of Superman was seen in the fan community as a Throw the Dog a Bone moment.