James Patrick "Jim" Caviezel, Jr. (born September 26, 1968) is an American film and television actor, known for portraying Jesus Christ in the 2004 Mel Gibson film The Passion of the Christ
. Other notable roles have been Bobby Jones in Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius
, Detective John Sullivan in Frequency
, Edmond Dantès in The Count of Monte Cristo
, Catch in Angel Eyes
, Carroll Oerstadt in Déjà Vu
and Private Witt in The Thin Red Line
. He has starred as John Reese on the CBS crime drama Person of Interest
since September 2011.
Off-screen, he has been Happily Married
to his wife Kerri since 1996, and they have adopted three Chinese children.
Works he has appeared in:
This actor provides examples of:
- ADHD: He was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 25. He doesn't display many of the hyperactive tendencies associated with the disorder, but he's admitted he has trouble focusing when people are talking to him, and he occasionally seems to have trouble keeping his train of thought on track (which can lead to his conversations rabbit trailing during interviews).
- Almighty Mom: When asked which superhero could kick his butt, he replied "My mom."
- Blind Date: How he and Kerri met.
- Bolt of Divine Retribution: Received some pretty harsh criticism for his performance in The Passion. That or he learned the hard way why it's not a good idea to film on location in the middle of a thunderstorm.
- Brief Accent Imitation: Loves doing impressions, especially Christopher Walken.
- But I Play One on TV: In case you were wondering, no, he is not actually Jesus; he just played him in a movie. However, he happily admits to actually being The Count of Monte Cristo and John Reese.
- Career-Ending Injury: An ankle injury ruined his hopes for a basketball career, but that was when he began to pursue an acting career so it all worked out in the end.
- Career Resurrection: His role on "Person of Interest" is widely regarded as this.
- Cool Car: Owns a personalized black Porsche named "Sinister" (which he allowed to be stolen by Reese in an episode of Person of Interest).
- Cuddle Bug: He's always throwing an arm around his Person of Interest castmates.
- Elvis Impersonation: He does a pretty good one. The mother of his long-time manager was a huge fan and he would impersonate Elvis for her every time he was able to visit.
- Fan Nickname: "Caviezus." In case you can't tell, that's a combination of "Caviezel" and "Jesus".
- Happily Married: For sixteen years and counting.
- Icy Blue Eyes: His are frequently described as being able to stare into your soul.
- Nice Guy: By all accounts, he's a downright nice guy to everyone.
- Obligatory Joke: It's been nine years since he starred in The Passion of the Christ, and the Jesus jokes are still a regular occurrence.
- One-Liner: Loves these.
- Papa Wolf
- Real Men Love Jesus
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules!: Out of respect for his wife he refuses to do sex scenes (and consequently has turned down roles) if he and the actress in question are not allowed to wear something to cover certain parts.
- Significant Monogram: His initials are "JC", and he played Jesus Christ when he was 33 years old. We repeat: He is not actually Jesus.
- Silver Fox: He's well on his way to being one.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- The Unpronounceable: It's pronounced "ka-VEE-zel." You'd be amazed at how many people still get that wrong in interviews.