Matthew de Vere Drummond (born 1971 as Matthew Allard Robert Vaughn) is a British film director, producer and screenwriter.Vaughn produced Guy Ritchie's very first films, Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch. and Swept Away. In 2004 he directed his first feature, the crime drama Layer Cake starring Daniel Craig before his James Bond fame. The film was a critical and commercial success and led him to direct other succesful features, most of them based on graphic novels and comic books like Stardust, Kick-Ass, X-Men: First Class and Kingsman: The Secret Service.He is married to German supermodel Claudia Schiffer.
- Layer Cake (2004)
- Stardust (2007)
- Kick-Ass (2010)
- X-Men: First Class (2011)
- Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015)
- Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017)
- Creator's Favorite: He has made it very clear in interviews that Magneto is his favourite X-Men character, and he even dismissed Professor X as being sanctimonious and boring. As a consequence, Erik is the main protagonist in X-Men: First Class despite the film being heavily advertised as containing two lead characters of equal importance. If Vaughn had remained as the director for the sequel, Magneto would once again be the central figure, but after Bryan Singer replaced him, Singer then gave the spotlight to the younger Xavier because Charles is his favourite.
- Decon-Recon Switch: Seemingly, a preferred trope of his. Several of the works he's adapted already had elements of this, and he's pushed it further in his movies. He's done it with pre-Tolkien heroic fantasy, vigilante superheroes and gentleman Spies, so far.
- Magnum Opus Dissonance: Michelle Pfeiffer got quite a start when she was cast in Stardust and Vaughn revealed that his favourite film of hers was...Grease2.Michelle: "I thought he was pulling my leg...It was my role in that that made him want to work with me."
- Production Posse: He frequently collaborates with actors Mark Strong, Jason Flemyng, Dexter Fletcher and Corey Johnson. Henry Jackman and Ilan Eshkeri usually compose the music for the films with Kick-Ass being a collaboration between the two, though Jackman will likely be the most usual in the future. Jane Goldman has also co-written some of his films along with him.
- Secret Legacy: Vaughn always thought he was the son of veteran American actor Robert Vaughn but through a paternal investigation his father was identified as George de Vere Drummond, an aristocrat that was a godson to king George VI. He changed his original surname to De Vere Drummond but remains as Matthew Vaughn as an artistic name.
- What Could Have Been: He was set to direct X-Men: The Last Stand, but dropped out. He also decided not to direct another X-Men installment, X-Men: Days of Future Past, because he wanted to work on Kingsman: The Secret Service, so the reins were given back to Bryan Singer, the director of the first two films of the franchise.