Bryan Singer is an American filmmaker whose body of work has been split between low-budget psychological thrillers and high-budget superhero movies. He is an avid fan of the moviegoing experience, and is especially fond of science fiction and Star Trek in particular, and with every film has tried to aim for a different genre; alienation is a recurring theme across many of his films. He has admitted on many occasions that he looks to his favourite films of the past, especially those by Stanley Kubrick, for inspiration and then adds his own style to it. He is the head of Bad Hat Harry productions, named from a line in his favorite movie Jaws.His first major break was directing The Usual Suspects, which made him a very popular independent filmmaker. After his second film, Apt Pupil, he was offered the job that would make him go mainstream, directing X-Men. The film's success started a new trend of hiring low-key filmmakers to helm the big budget movies. His attention to the characters and goals of making their world plausible became the source of the second age of superhero movies, which is still ongoing.After the second X-Men film, X2: X-Men United, Singer jumped at the chance to direct the next Superman film, which resulted in the third X-Men film being made without him. While it made money, Superman Returns did not have the box office ratio the studio was hoping for and the series has since been rebooted.He returned to the X-Men universe with X-Men: Days of Future Past and its follow-up, X-Men: Apocalypse. Another reboot of Battlestar Galactica (1978) was announced.
- The Usual Suspects (1995)
- Apt Pupil (1998)
- Several entries in the X-Men Film Series:
- Superman Returns (2006)
- Valkyrie (2008)
- Jack the Giant Slayer (2013)
- House (Bad Hat Harry is the production company and he directed a few episodes, including a cameo in one of them.)
- Star Trek: Nemesis (A lifelong Star Trek fan, his new friendship with Patrick Stewart, which was formed while working together on the X-Men Film Series, granted him a cameo as a bridge officer.)
- H+ (Produced the web series.)
- Trick 'r Treat (Bad Hat Harry produced the movie. It also helps that director Michael Dougherty co-wrote X2 and Superman Returns.)
- The Cameo: He briefly appeared as a security officer in Star Trek: Nemesis because he's a big Trekkie.
- Creator Cameo: In X-Men: Days of Future Past, immediately after Past Magneto uses his power to throw several Parisian police officers backwards, Singer can be seen as a bystander filming him.