Super-Powered Robot Meter Maids (though there is some crossover), the Robot Maid (or Robot Butler) is Exactly What It Says on the Tin—a robot, ridiculously human or not, whose primary functions lie in performing household chores. They cook, clean house and look after your dog with precision. Whether or not they look human, they almost always have sophisticated AI—nobody bothers to ask why you're programming super-intelligent robots to do housework, but it's cool enough that it gets a pass. Of course, it could just be that being a maid is only said robot's day job—it might have a plethora of other, more crime-fighty functions. Bonus points if they're young, female, and very, very sexy. Even more so if they actually wear the outfit. Interestingly, the word "robot" in itself comes from a phrase meaning "someone who does manual labor," and was coined in a Czech play written in the 1920s. Compare Smart House and In the Future, We Still Have Roombas.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- The heroine of Mahoromatic is an alien Super Soldier spending her last year of battery life as a Robot Maid.
- Dorothy in The Big O doubles as a Robot Maid because she has/had no other way to pay Roger Smith for his services.
- Multi [HMX-12] and Serio [HMX-13] are experimental humanoid maid robots from the To Heart anime.
- HMX-17a Ilfa, HMX-17b Milfa and HMX-17c Shilfa are experimental maid robots from the To Heart 2 anime.
- Yui, an otaku's android maid from Koharu Biyori.
- Minoru Kokubunji in Chobits has an entire staff full of Ridiculously Human Robots (well, ridiculously human computers) that serve as his maids.
- In Mahou Sensei Negima!, Evangeline has a group of Robot Girls around for the purpose of serving food and keeping her villa clean. The most prominent is Karakuri Chachamaru, who also serves as Eva's Ninja Maid.
- Aiko from Magical Pokaan is not explicitly a maid, but she does wears a Meido dress and she's the one who cooks.
- Noel of Triangle Heart 3: Sweet Songs Forever.
- Reversed in Kinos Journey where a family of robots is waited on by a human who believes herself to be a robot maid.
- Zero is a robot maid who serves the cute alien girls' invasion company in G-On Riders.
- The eponymous character from Hand Maid May.
- This is the avatar for Ryuunosuke's Artificial Intelligence in The Pet Girl of Sakurasou, complete with a tail-like appendage ending with a USB plug.
- Ruri from If Her Flag Breaks is a Robot Maid. She's also an example of Super-Powered Robot Meter Maids.
- Irona, the robot maid of Richie Rich.
- A future-themed Batman story replaced Alfred Pennyworth with a robot.
- Tom Strong had a steam powered robot butler whose speech came from wax cylinder recordings of his father: Pneuman, short for Pneumatic Man. He's actually a little bit older than the 100-year-old Tom. He was always bickering with Tom's intelligent monkey caddy Solomon, who serves a decidedly similar function.
- Somewhat Deconstructed in a Disney Comics story where Gyro Gearloose makes a fortune selling a series of robots, each tailored to a specific household chore (such as a gardening robot, a cleaning robot, a laundry robot, a cooking robot, etc). When he is asked why not a single Robot Maid, he replies that individual household chores require substantial specialization not possible with a generic robot and this approach has the added bonus of being able to accomplish several tasks at once. Unfortunately, said robots also consume a huge amount of power and the sheer demand causes the price of electricity to spike and all the robots to be returned, restoring the status quo.
- The X-Men had Nanny, who sported a maid outfit in most incarnations. She took her job too seriously.
- The Fantastic Four have a robot receptionist named Roberta.
- In the non-canonical Fin Fang Four stories, she's the girlfriend of shrunken-giant-robot Elektro. It's very cute.
- Last Man Standing has Bonnie as one of these.
- Lord Blackpool from Lady Mechanika has a steam-powered robot butler.
- The Dandy used to have a story called Tin Lizzie, about a robot maid and a robot butler called Brassribs.
- Anna, longtime caretaker of Genšł, is one of the "looks and acts perfectly human" variety.
- Judge Dredd's robotic servant, Walter.
- At the end of Spaceballs, the spaceship Spaceball One transforms into Mega Maid, a giant robot maid with a vacuum cleaner to suck the planet Druidia's air through an opening in its force shield.
- Runaway (1984). A robot maid looks after the protagonist's son, giving him a rundown on his eating habits and whether he's watching videos after bedtime.
- Sleeper - domestic servant robots are a major business in 2173...rogue cryogenically unfrozen Woody Allen disguises himself as one to avoid capture.
- Robot And Frank starts off with Frank Weld, retired cat burglar, getting a robot maid... and he begins to teach it his old craft.
- Kyoko from Ex Machina performs the housekeeping duties of a maid, and is in fact a robot.
- Discworld golems are basically robots, so we naturally end up with a golem designated as a maid. Well, a secretary. A giant clay secretary in a blue gingham dress named Gladys. And since golems are not used to having a gender identity of any description, Hilarity Ensues.
- "Flexible Frank", the non-humanoid housekeeping robot in Robert A. Heinlein's The Door Into Summer.
- "Bismarck," in Robert Silverberg's short story "The Iron Chancellor," is a Robot Maid with a nasty twist.
Live Action TV
- Kryten from Red Dwarf. (The fact that his mental abilities go far beyond the cleaning and catering duties for which he was built is sort-of noticed by the crew in series 8, but they put it down to a malfunction.)
- The Night Gallery episode "You Can't Get Help Like That Anymore" involves a couple buying and abusing a robot maid.
- Whodunnit? (UK): In "Future Imperfect" (set in the year 2076), the family possesses a robot servant called Mister Seven who is reprogrammed to murder the head of the family.
- Anita in Humans. Though she wasn't always a maid...
- Jonathan Coulton's song "Todd the T1000" is about a guy who feels threatened by his robot butler.
"Todd the T1000 scares me
I don't think he knows I've got a right to exist
And he sits in my favorite chair and dares me
And when I look over he is making a fist"
- Paranoia has scrubots.
- Classic Traveller. Robots could have a Valet program that allowed them to act as maids. The adventure "Research Station Gamma" had maintenance (cleaning) robots.
- Top Secret (TSR). The "Dr. Yes" module in Dragon #48 had the Bernie, a hemispherical robot that could act as a vacuum cleaner, trash compactor, and stereo. It could also mop and wax the floor.
- Any Robot Girl in Maid RPG will be one due to the nature of the game. Robot Butlers are also possible.
- Big Eyes, Small Mouth has a "Robot Maid" template. It's got a number of upsides... but it also comes with the "Owned" disadvantage.
- Champions adventure The Island of Dr. Destroyer. The title character's secret base has cleaning robots.
- Robot Maids are one of the many forms of robots available in Shadowrun.
- DC Heroes has a maintenance robot called the Clyde that can perform mediocre housekeeping.
- The titular robot from Chibi-Robo is a very, very tiny Robot Maid.
- Francis in Super Paper Mario has MeowMaids, giant cat Robot Maids.
- Marshmallow in Mother 3 is Porky's Robot Maid, and a Bonus Boss.
- After his accident on the Thunder Tower, Fassad (you may also know him as Yokuba) gets a robot translator, seeing as his mouth is stuffed with trumpets on his "reassembly".
- (Classic) Roll in the Mega Man games was designed to be one of these for Dr Light.
- Tesse from Waku Waku 7 is, well, a robot maid who serves her creator, "the Doctor."
- The Sims 2: Open for Business allows talented Sims to creates Servos and imprint them with their personalities. An active Servo autonomously cleans, gardens, repairs broken household items and cooks, often desserts. Your Sims will get fat, and you may also get a craving for berry pie.
- The 3rd PC-98 Touhou game, Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream, gave Reimu a nuclear-powered robotic maid named Ruukoto.
- The new Clockwork robots in City of Heroes are essentially this for the whole of Praetoria and can often seen vaccuming parks and streets, or carrying heavy supplies for building. Of course, they are armed to the teeth should the pesky trouble maker try to pick a fight with them.
- The "Mister Handy" style robots in Fallout 3 fill this role. You can even get one yourself when you get your own house. He doesn't like you very much, but he's usually good at hiding it.
- When you present her the maid uniform to equip, Aigis of Persona 3 clearly states that it's the one she already wore before at the lab. In other words, the super-powerful battle android that she is also acted as an obedient maid servant before you found her (and can continue so even afterward).
- In Pokémon X and Y, one of the "Maid" trainers you fight in the Battle Chateau speaks like one.
Julia: "I WAS CREATED SOLELY TO DO BATTLE..."
- Ask Dr. Eldritch has Helen, the Doctor's "housekeeper". The Doctor insists that she's not a Sexbot - just ignore the fact that he openly sleeps with her.
- Some of the Chibi style AnthroPCs in Questionable Content are designed with limited housekeeping abilities.
- As well as being a Sex Slave, The Nostalgia Chick's robot also dries dishes and makes coffee for her. And he hates it.
- Hello. I am the third generation AX400 Android. I can look after your house, do the cooking, mind the kids..."
- Robojeeves the robot butler in Ducktalez 6. He even has the stereotype of having Jeeves in his name.
- The furry comic O, Robot! starts with the purchase of a robot vixen maid whose owner names her "Robota" and initially uses her to clean the house and fetch cheetos, then his technophilic girlfriend starts tinkering with her.
- Rosie from The Jetsons may not be the Ur-Example, but she's undeniably done a lot for the idea.
- Robi from Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue!.
- In the DuckTales episode, "Metal Attraction", Gyro invents a robot duck maid named Robotica. Unfortunately she was WAY too emotional and had a crush on Gizmoduck that reached Yandere levels.
- Real Life: The Roomba is a computerized, automated, programmable vacuum cleaner that cleans carpets all on its own. One can purchase costumes, including french maid costumes, to fit to such robots.
- Believe it or not - actual robot maids are being developed now in (where else) Japan, as seen in this Youtube video.