Robot or Spaceman Alter Ego
Since Kraftwerk began presenting themselves as robots circa 1978, a number of electronic bands have adopted robot or spaceman alter egos. Compare Kayfabe Music, the Super Trope.
Examples of artists with robot or spaceman alter egos:
- Daft Punk: Since 2001, although they claim they were transformed into robots in a Freak Lab Accident on 9/9/1999.
- Kraftwerk: Duh. Especially since they use synthetic vocals extensively, any vocals performed by a person try to sound like they're synthetic, and many of their live shows actually do involve robots controlled through midi software to play backup; the four robots have molded replicas of the real men's heads.
- Moog Cookbook: These guys even had names for their alter egos: "Uli Nomi" for Brian Kehew and "Meco Eno" for Roger Manning Jr.
- Mr. Pacman: Defunct-ish video game rocker(s) from Denver.
- Ace Frehley from KISS originated the Spaceman.
- Not an electronic band, but Jason Pierce of Spiritualized goes by his nickname of "J. Spaceman" quite frequently.
- Janelle MonŠe's alter ego is Cindi Mayweather, the android protagonist of her four-part Metropolis concept album.
- The Protomen: Sometimes taken more seriously than others.
- Jimmy the Robot of The Aquabats!, though he's the only robot of the group, the rest being super heroes.
- In their kayfabe GWAR is a group of alien mercenaries who were banished to Earth.
- Gary Numan is known for his robotic, alienated performance, and lyrical themes.
- David Bowie had his alien Messianic Archetype Ziggy Stardust in 1972-3.
- Skrillex had a female alien as his alter ego which he controlled via motion technology on a few tours.
- Starset perform wearing illuminated face masks and fake oxygen tanks. In their kayfabe, they claim that their lyrics were beamed to them by aliens.
- Planetoid's kayfabe is superficially similar to that of Gwar: They're aliens from the future who found themselves stranded on earth, and who now intend to conquer the planet with The Power of Rock. They actually fit into both the "spaceman" and "robot" categories, since drummer Admiral Time is supposed to be a cybernetic organism as well.