If a slap don't work, you cut 'em or you pay 'em, but you keep your receipts, cos this ain't the Mafia. - Archy
British actor Mark Strong is especially known for his villainous performances — such as Prince Septimus in Stardust
or Lord Blackwood in Guy Ritchie
's Sherlock Holmes
— though he's been playing the Knight in Shining Armor
, a morally gray hitman, and pretty much everything in between as well. See (incomplete) list below.
If Guy Ritchie
or Matthew Vaughn
is working on a new project, it's safe to say that he at least considers his friend for a part in it.
Tropes associated with him / his work provides examples of:
- Ambiguously Brown: This Austro-Italian Englishman has portrayed Jordanian and Lebanese men.
- Badass Baritone/Evil Sounds Deep: All he needs is an echo-y place to sound even more intimidating.
- Bald of Awesome/Bald of Evil: He even said in a few interviews that losing his hair helped transition him from one-note lovers into the juicier villainous roles.
- British Teeth: Strong's teeth are a bit crooked, particularly one of his front incisors, which is put on particular display in the opening scene of Sherlock Holmes
- Evil Brit: He even provides part of the page quote.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: He plays many villains, but he's super nice and humble in real life.
- Rule Of Sean Connery: Movie critic Jeremy Jahns has what he calls the "Strong/Tucci Rule". Named after Mark and Stanley Tucci, the rule reads that any movie featuring either Mark or Stanley is instantly better than it would be were it not for their participation, and the two actors are likely going to be the best things about the movie, regardless.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: At pretty much any film premiere he attends.
- Archie in Rocknrolla takes the cake.
- Smoking Is Cool: A few of his characters fall under here, but particular notice goes to Dr. Neil Barnard from Endgame, who snaps the filters off of his cigarettes before lighting up.
- Star-Making Role: Septimus in Stardust, the role that kick-started his career as a villain actor.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome
- Those Two Actors: With Colin Firth in Fever Pitch, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Before I Go To Sleep and Kingsman: The Secret Service.
- What Beautiful Eyes: Especially noticeable here, here, and here.