Orlando Bloom is an English actor born in Canterbury (Kent) on January 13, 1977. He rose to prominence in the role of Legolas in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy and later with Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy; between that and Kingdom of Heaven and Three Musketeers, he can fairly be called "King of Costume Dramas". While Bloom is most closely associated with his status as a heartthrob and as "the guy with the sword" in summer blockbusters, he has a diverse resume of roles in both mainstream and independent productions.Outside the movies, one of the roles associated with Bloom is that of a survivor. At the age of 19, he fell three stories from the roof of an apartment building in London, resulting in a broken back. Despite doctors' fears that he would never walk again, he made a full recovery.He is also known for his charity work and environmental activism with such organizations as UNICEF and Global Green. In 2007, he traveled to Antarctica with his cousin, photographer and Global Green co-founder Sebastian Copeland, to see first hand the effects of climate change. He wrote the foreword to Copeland's 2008 book Antarctica: A Call to Action.Personally, Bloom was married to model Miranda Kerr from 2010 to 2013. They have one child, a son named Flynn Christopher.
- Wilde (1997): Rent Boy
- Black Hawk Down (2001): PFC Todd Blackburn
- Lord of the Rings trilogy (2001-2003): Legolas
- Ned Kelly (2003): Joe Byrne
- Pirates of the Caribbean (2003-2007): Will Turner
- The Calcium Kid (2004): Jimmy Connolly
- Troy (2004): Paris
- Haven (2004): Shy
- Kingdom of Heaven (2005): Balian of Ibelin
- Elizabethtown (2005): Drew Baylor
- Love and Other Disasters (2006): Hollywood Paolo
- New York, I Love You (segment "Shunji Iwai) (2009): David
- Sympathy for Delicious (completed 2010): The Stain
- Main Street (completed 2010): Harris Parker
- Fight For Your Right: Revisited (2011): Johnny Ryall
- The Three Musketeers (2011): Duke of Buckingham
- The Hobbit Trilogy (2012-2014): Legolas
- The Good Doctor (2013): Dr. Martin Blake
- The Laureate (pre-production): Robert Graves
- Cities (pre-production): as yet unnamed character
- Zulu (2014): Brian Epkeen
- Casualty (1994-1996): various roles
- Midsomer Murders (2000): Peter Drinkwater
- Extras (2007): Himself
- In Celebration (2007): Steven Shaw
- Romeo and Juliet (2013): Romeo
Tropes Associated with Bloom:
- Brown Eyes
- Deadpan Snarker: Has quite a sarcastic sense of humor and is usually to first to laugh about himself.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Craig Ferguson has admitted to having a man crush on him during a few of his show's opening monologues.
- Mr. Fanservice: Plays this role in most of his movies.
- Older Than He Looks: He reprised his role as Legolas 10 years after Lord of the Rings ended and you barely see a difference.
- Playing Hamlet : In his recent Broadway performance, the 37 year old Bloom plays Romeo. Yes, that Romeo.
- Pretty Boy: Typecast as one. Which was actually a huge factor in his first major role as Legolas. They needed someone beautiful to play an elf. It reaches a new level with his involvement in The Hobbit, Bloom still looks the part.