Caught with Your Pants Down
A subtrope of Cringe Comedy
. A character, thinking they are alone, decides to indulge in a little self-pleasuring
only to be interrupted by their partner, parent, sibling, best friend, The Vicar
(for maximum laughs), whatever. Seriously people, next time - lock the door.
Usually Played for Laughs
, although it's not impossible to see it Played for Drama
. For when it is not a solo situation, see Interrupted Intimacy
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Many, many a start of the intimate portion of That Wasn't There Before Hentai Futanari doujinshi in a particularly embarrassing example.
- Axis Powers Hetalia strongly implies that France was caught by Germany, with his pants down. France had been reflecting on his military history and telling himself how strong he was, getting more agitated, and red and blue-striped in the face all the while. Then Germany bursts in with a gun drawn, looks horrified for a second then says, "I hate to disturb you when you're busy, but put your hands in the air."
- Happens to Satou when his mother walks in on him in the Welcome to the NHK! manga, with the added embarrassment that he's looking at Hentai at the time. And has set up a customized rig for internet porn in his parents' spare bedroom, complete with a leather massage chair.
- To make matters worse, he proceeds to stumble on the headphones cable, unplugging it and flooding the room with ultra-loud girly sex moaning. Satou freaking snaps then and there.
- Alice learns the hard way in Serial Experiments Lain that internet surveillance is more intensive than she thought... Of course, the fact her best friend is an omnipresent god who can materialise in Alice's room at will doesn't help either.
- F3: Frantic, Frustrated & Female opens with this trope, as a girl unable to climax has her big sister walk in on her. The sister, after exhausting herself trying to "help", hypnotizes the girl into orgasming — but a badly worded command makes it only happen whenever her sister touches her, and instantly happen then. Cue several random touchings of the shoulder, slaps on the back, etc. The manga goes for 3 more books after this, the whole thing never gets resolved.
- Happens in Code Geass (the infamous 'Table-kun' incident). Fortunately for Nina, Nunally couldn't see what was happening and is too innocent to realize what was going on. Probably. Hopefully.
- An implied near-miss happens to Maho Nitori in Wandering Son. She and her brother Shuuichi sleep in bunk beds and at the end of chapter 39 when Shuuichi is woken up by creaking sounds and looks to see a panicked Maho out of bed asking if he'd heard. As she leaves the room, her pajama bottoms have a dark stain. The situation implies either this trope, an aversion of No Periods, Period, or, what the heck, both.
- From the looks of it, it was probably a period stain; she also mutters something about whether had mom had "any", implying tampons or pads. Though she did act a bit too suspicious and embarrassed.
- My Balls. Subverted when Elyse puts Kohta under a sort of "hypnosis" so she can take advantage of him without his knowledge. He snaps out of it several times with her in ... compromising positions.
- In the manga of Bokurano, it's implied that Dung Beetle catches Anko like this at one point. She's none too happy about it. In a subversion, he caught her daydreaming and dancing when she's home alone, not masturbating.
- Mako "Nakama" Nakarai invokes the trope before fighting. The Alpha Bitch who bullies Mako is having sex with a guy (presumably her boyfriend) inside a hotel room within the fight area, and she asks Koyemshi to rescue the couple before any of them get a chance to get dressed so they end up naked first in the cockpit, where all the pilot children are. After Mako gives the Alpha Bitch a slap and a What the Hell, Hero?, they're sent inside a van on which the girl's mother is leaving the battle area. Given that the fight had not even started, is pretty much given that Mako did it on purpose, to teach the Alpha Bitch a lesson about caring for other people: it ultimately works, as Mako's arc ends with said Alpha Bitch acting more humbly as she helps clean up the classroom.
- Light Yagami uses hidden dirty magazines as an excuse for making sure other people haven't entered his room. When L, his father and his sister Sayu see this, they don't see the Death Note, thankfully, but they do accuse Light of being a pervert (L even remarks it's perfectly natural for someone his age).
- A double entry from Haruhi Suzumiya when Kyon was closing the pictures of Mikuru's chest with star-shaped mole: He forgot to close the folder which had the name of "Mikuru" written as the folder name. It's busted by Haruhi spotting Mikuru having some "fun" with Kyon - which did not translate so well for the world.
- Yuria 100 Shiki pretty much runs on this trope.
- At least, it does with the titular Yuria. The slightly more advanced Juria poses as an inanimate sex toy, so she's more likely to invert the trope, pretending to be "in use" by her owner to get out of situations that would reveal her true nature.
- Great Teacher Onizuka is a 22-year-old virgin living on the roof of the middle school where he teaches. He works off the frustrations that come with being a Chivalrous Pervert, so it's no surprise that he's been literally caught with his pants down.
- In one chapter of the Gunsmith Cats manga, Minnie May is masturbating to a photo of her missing boyfriend Kenny when Becky walks in on her.
- The plot of Onani Master Kurosawa begins with this.
- In chapter 337 of Mahou Sensei Negima!, Eva walks in on Chachamaru winding herself up (technically, powering self up, but it has VERY similar effects to sexual arousal) while calling out Negi's name. Hilarity Ensues since Eva is very amused and pleased.
- Momo in To Love-Ru Darkness gets caught by her twin sister playing with her tail. Luckily for her, Nana is too innocent to realize what Momo was doing.
- In Oniichan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki ja Nai Dakara ne!!, Shuusuke was completely nonplussed when Iroha told him how much his masturbates (5 times a day!), down to which hand he uses. It turned out she snooped him through a telescope.
- At the end of the Cube X Cursed X Curious OVA, the gang catches Shiraho wiggling on top of Sovereignty's sleeping bag and breathing in her scent. Shiraho doesn't take it well.
- Virgin Night: A student being caught by his tutor indulging A Date with Rosie Palms kicks off "The First Goodbye".
- In the XXXenophile story "Touch Tone" a woman is indulging in some phone sex late at night at work when the guy she thought was on the other end of the phone walks into the room.
- In "Trees A Crowd", a man enjoying some alone time in a forest is interrupted by a dryad.
- In The Boys, Wee Hughie is sent to infiltrate G-Wiz, a superhero team loosely modeled off one of the X-men spinoffs and a frat house, complete with a luxuriously-appointed porn theatre...in which he later finds the whole team.
- The Foes and Fortunes arc of Hack Slash had Vlad accidentally walk in on Cassie "daydreaming" about fellow Anti-Hero Samhain.
- A short comic by Phoebe Gloeckner has a Czech punk girl caught not once but twice when she has sex with her punk boyfriend in public. The second time, her mother happens to be among the people witnessing this. Big Oops.
- In the first issue of Before Watchmen: Rorschach, Rorschach kicks down the door on a crook while he is in a booth at an adult cinema.
- In Agent X #14, Alex and Sandi accidentally walk in on Deadpool masturbating. Being temporarily mentally-impaired (not to mention being Deadpool), he doesn't stop.
- Before the Silver Doe by Metafrantic takes this to ludicrous levels. First, Hermione walks in on Harry masturbating. Then, Harry walks in on Hermione masturbating. Then Harry masturbates to the thought of Ginny masturbating in the same way that he had caught Hermione masturbating. Then Hermione decides to watch Harry masturbate. And THEN Harry watches Hermione masturbate with the latters consent, and ends up masturbating to Hermione's masturbation. It becomes rather funny after a while.
- The start of the "Vs. Ponyville" arc in Progress sees Celestia finding Luna in the library, asking why, and not getting a straight answer. She figures it out within seconds: Luna walked in on Sundance (her roommate) and Hoyden (Sundance's coltfriend) mating (capping her long streak of luck walking in on them being romantic). In order to help avoid awkwardness, Celestia assigns Luna to duties that require her to leave Canterlot for a while.
- In Stars Above, poor Kagami is interrupted during some private time in the bath by one of the most unwelcome visitors imaginable... Kyubey.
- In Romano in the fanfic Peeping Romano. He gets caught masturbating while trying to "protect" Italy from Germany by sneaking into his house, he is caught with not only his pants down but with blood all over his hands.
- An ER fanfic had Doug walking in on Carol as she was doing this. She is of course, self-conscious and embarrassed that he caught her like this, even as he tries to reassure her that it was beautiful to see her that way—the very reason he walked in was because he was so turned on that he wanted to have sex right then and there.
- Portal 2: This is essentially the entire premise of portalkink's "The Long Wait". As part of a Human Wheatley alternative story arc, GLaDOS and Chell catch Wheatley getting off to the testing euphoria and ultimately use this to break his spirit. Wheatley does not become aware that he was being watched until the very end.
- Snopes has a number of urban legends about this trope:
- A girl who accidentally impaled herself on a broom after being caught in a compromising position with it. (link)
- The stereotype of witches riding broomsticks has a similar origin.
- A man who masturbates with his eyes covered - and then realizes his mother must have been in the room at the time. (link)
- This is actually from stand up comedian Rob Newman's routine from the early 90s.
- American Pie... with pumpkins! (link)
- Non-comedic example: The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier, where one character is essentially blackmailed because he thinks another character has a photo of him masturbating in a school toilet cubicle.
- The scene in The Time Traveler's Wife that shows up on Screw Yourself probably also deserves a mention here.
- Happens to the teenage Bruce Wayne (the Michael Keaton version) in the parody "To The Batpole!" in the anthology Batman Unauthorized.
- The book Ghosts/Aliens finds the author with his pants down four times in one week. His explanations range from attempting to destroy anaerobic bacteria in that area to having had a bee fly into his pants.
- In Water for Elephants, Jacob walks in on Walter (aka Kinko) masturbating to a magazine, and ends up getting back at him by orchestrating for Jacob to be humiliated by the circus' resident hooker. They end up friends, though.
- In James Herbert's Once, the protagonist is first introduced to the love interest of the novel (a barely pubescent Elf girl) by his spying on her masturbating against a tree.
- Another distinctly non-comedic example: In The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, when Kumiko was a child she caught her brother Noboru masturbating to their dead sister's underwear.
Live Action TV
- In According To Jim, we learn that Jim hates his birthday and surprise parties because on his thirteenth birthday, thinking everyone had forgotten his birthday, he decided to 'give himself a present' only to have his friends and family (including a nun) leap out shouting 'Surprise!'.
- A stand-up routine by comedian Alan Brough on The Smallest Room In The House centred around his father bringing him a cup of tea while he was masturbating.
- In the Friends episode "The One with the Sharks", Monica walks in on Chandler. He managed to change the channel from porn to a show about sharks... causing Monica to get the idea that he has a shark fetish.
- The basis of the entire That '70s Show episode "Happy Jack".
- In the Seinfeld episode "The Contest", George is at the parents' house, starts reading Glamour, then gets caught by his mother, who injures herself as a result...
- In an episode of Rules Of Engagement, Jennifer refers to Adam as "Spanky" and he thinks this is because she walked in on him one time. He launches into a spirited defence of his actions in front of his friends, only to discover she was making a reference to The Little Rascals.
- An episode of the HBO series Sessions revolved around the main character's embarassment over masturbating, and his fear of being caught as an adolescent.
- A particularly squicky example of this trope occurs in the BBC comedy-drama Grease Monkeys. When one of the main characters is caught masturbating by his sister, the shock causes him to ejaculate - all over her. Needless to say, she does not react well.
- Similarly, this Youtube Poop involves Sonic the Hedgehog masturbating and ejaculating on Robotnik. Since Robotnik is Sonic's arch nemesis, Sonic is apparently pleased by this.
- Alluded to in Pushing Daisies. Chuck and Ned share an apartment, but if they touch Chuck will die, so they wear jingle-bell slippers to alert each other when they're coming into a room. Chuck tries to convince Ned that she should move out:
Chuck: I'll stop walking in on you when you're doing things you don't want me to know you're doing—
Ned: That would never have happened if you were wearing your slippers.
(You'd think that since they can't touch, they might have resorted to mutual voyeurism as one of the only forms of sexual activity that would allow them to safely be in the same room, but Ned is a very self-conscious person.)
- In series 1, Tony is totally unfazed to find Sid masturbating over a picture of Michelle (Tony's girlfriend).
- There's an EXTREMELY uncomfortable example of female masturbation in series 2. Maxxie's stalker Sketch breaks into his house, sneaks into his room, fondles and smells his underwear, and proceeds to masturbate on his bed. When Maxxie comes home unexpectedly early, she quickly hides under his bed where she stays for the rest of the night.
- Karen and JJ walk in on Freddie at one point in series 3.
- An episode of Married... with Children focused on Bud getting caught by his college's librarian and and facing disciplinary action. Bud is saved by the fact the librarian, who has the hots for him, deliberately gave him books that would excite him. Bud is then humiliated by his father and his "No Ma'am" club members coming in protesting the proceedings with lines like "Four, three, two, one! Bud's alone but he has fun!"
- In Dead Set, Joplin's less-than-stealthy attempt to watch Veronica in the shower is less than successful (though as a wannabe "glamour" model, Veronica is unfazed by it).
- This happened to wannabee rapper J-Roc in Trailer Park Boys.
- Farscape. In a Body Surf episode, Aeryn (in Rygel's body) walks in on Crichton feeling up her own body. She threatens to break his legs. Even if they are hers. After the Reset Button is pushed however, it's hinted that Aeryn (who'd briefly entered Crichton's body) did some checking out of her own.
- Parodied and inverted on The League of Gentlemen, where Harvey Denton has a peculiar paranoia about walking in on his nephew, Benjamin, and has an entire, Spit Take-inducing collection of Unusual Euphemisms ready. There has never been any concrete evidence of Benjamin actually masturbating.
- In one episode of This Is Wonderland, Elliot Sacks accidentally implies that his mother walked in on him once.
: That's enough
, Mr. Sex
- Happens to Andrew (while looking at Hot Or Not on the internet) in the final episode of The Chaser's War On Everything during the "Tech Talk" segment.
- Frances walking in on her husband Terry doing this is a running joke in The Librarians.
- Happens to Rory in 8 Simple Rules. Twice.
- On Snuff Box, apparently Matt Berry's father once walked in on him masturbating over a map of Scotland.
- Charlie, from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, has been caught masturbating several times.
- In Misfits, this happens to Curtis and Alisha, who Can't Have Sex, Ever and cope with it by watching each other masturbate. Unfortunately they choose to do this in a cupboard in their local community centre, and their activities are soon loudly interrupted and exposed by Nathan (who takes a rather unhealthy delight in the whole thing - and proceeds to perform a full re-enactment of what he has just seen, for the amusement of Kelly and Simon).
- In The Inbetweeners one of the characters is volunteering at an old folks home, where he constantly wanks in empty rooms (which is quite in character for him). At one point he ends up looking for ANYTHING to do the deed to and finds a picture of a woman in a bikini, which is enough to get him going. As soon as he reaches the point of no return the woman in the picture (who was in the room the whole time) sees him and calmly says that she's seen it all before. Then a nurse comes in with a man, who shakes hands with him (only to realize that he has an unknown goo on his hand).
- One episode of Extras has Andy walk in on his agent masturbating to a pen with a naked woman's picture on it. His agent's secretary then comes in and takes the pen from him...and is also masturbating to it when Andy leaves.
- The Daily Mail Island sketch from TV Go Home has a particularly horrifying example, where a teenage girl is caught masturbating by her parents ("She was debasing everything! With her fingers!") and subjected to a show trial where she has to masturbate before the other islanders before being hung.
- On an episode of Spicks And Specks, Christie Amphlett (who, of course, sang "I Touch Myself") claimed that there was a girl who threw up every time she heard Amphlett's name because she once walked in on her brother masturbating to a picture of Amphlett.
- Implied in an episode of Supernatural, although when two male characters who aren't (canonically) having sex spend all their time together, it's to be expected.
- More than just implied in the season six episode "Caged Heat" when Castiel (hilariously) discovers porn.
- In Gossip Girl, Blair Waldorf, who is desperate and horny for Chuck Bass, gets caught masturbating by her maid Dorota whose face is stern as she says, "Don't forget. God is watching, Miss Blair."
- Implied in season five opener of the new Doctor Who: A character is typing on his laptop in his bedroom when the Doctor, needing to get on the Internet, bursts in and grabs the laptop for himself. Having seen what is on the computer screen, the Doctor turns to him and says, scornfully, "Get a girlfriend!"
- In the Stargate Atlantis episode "Grace Under Pressure," Rodney McKay is badly injured and hallucinates seeing his long-time crush, Samantha Carter. Even though he's well aware that she's just a figment of his imagination, he works with 'her' to try to help his situation. When 'Samantha' comes up with an idea that gives him much-needed extra time, he jumps up and hugs 'her'. He suddenly turns serious and moves in for an amorous kiss, but 'Samantha' spoils the mood by pointing out, "You do realize what you're doing here, right?" Possibly only a partial example, because the person who caught him was actually his own subconscious. (Rodney was a complicated guy.)
Rodney: You are the worst hallucination ever!"
- On the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica, Gaius Baltar is haunted by visions of his Cylon ex that nobody else can see. She frequently gets romantic with him. It's shown that this looks like exactly what you'd expect it to look like when Starbuck drops by his lab and catches him "doing his exercises." She almost lets this pass without comment ... then she asks him to zip up his fly.
- There's a rather uncomfortable instance of this in Mad Men- Don's ten year old daughter Sally is watching The Man from U.N.C.L.E. when she starts masturbating, without really knowing what it is she's doing, to Ilya Kuryakin at a friends house while her friend is sleeping on the couch. She gets in trouble when the friend's mother walks in, and when she takes Sally back home her mother yells at her and threatens to cut her fingers off if she does it again - in public or in private. All the while Sally doesn't even know why the adults are mad at her.
- On Camelot, Morgan discovers Harwel spying on her in the bath and asks "What were you doing with that hand before you used it to sully my dress?".
- This Saturday Night Live Amazon Mother's Day ad parody featuring three different mothers and Fifty Shades of Grey, where Dad and the kids get the bigger surprise when they deliver the gift.
- At the beginning of the "It's Just Sex ..." episode of Dont Trust The B In Apartment 23, Chloe walks in on June in the bath "playing her lady harp."
- One episode of Him & Her, sees Steve all ready for some much needed alone time when Becky and co unexpectedly come back to the flat.
- Langt Fra Las Vegas: Happens to Casper in the episode appropriately titled "Masturbation".
- An episode of 2 Broke Girls reveals that Max has twice walked in on Caroline while she was pleasuring herself in the tub.
- Happens to Martin in an episode of Puberty Blues.
- Then there's that bit in Dykes To Watch Out For where Mo is having cyber sex with her girlfriend in the bookshop she works in. Then all the employees walk in while she's busy. They seem surprised the Martha Stuart fantasy turns her on. Then her employer walks in and everything just gets better for Mo as she realises her fly is still undone.
- An example in hentai RPG Knights Of Xentar.
Look, he's pointing north!
- In No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle, Bishop gets walked in on by his killers and he pulls his pants up and buckles his belt in a hurry, saying that he "was just doing inventory". Travis later gets caught by Henry while watching his Magical Girl Anime.
- If you listen closely, they were both watching the same thing, Bizarre Jelly 5.
- In Wasted Youth, this happens to Roger when he's caught using a peephole to watch the girls sleeping in their dorms.
- A mission in The Ballad of Gay Tony is named after this trope. During the mission brief, Yusuf Amir, the mission's boss, is not wearing any pants while partaking in cocaine and a prostitute's services, with his father later walking in on him, showing disappointment in Yusuf's hedonistic lifestyle.
- In Sono Hanabira Ni Kuchizuke Wo, Nanami finds out about Yuuna's feelings for her when she catches Yuuna in this act.
- You can catch all the love interests this way in Hitomi. And then you can help them out a little.
- Occurs in Giulio's route in Lucky Dog 1, after the team have escaped from prison Gian goes out the cabin they've broken into to masturbate in the car. Giulio, who was on watch, follows him to make sure he's okay and Gian only notices he's there until part way through. Giulio tells Gian not to mind him and carry on.
- In Katawa Shoujo, the first sex scene with Rin Tezuka begins like this. Hisao goes one night into her atelier and finds her naked save for her see-through shirt, barely lucid after spending several days trying to gain inspiration, and attempting to relieve herself with masturbation... or something similar, since she has no arms. So Hisao gives Rin a Cool Down Hug, undoes her buttons, and then helps her finish.
- In one of the early Sabrina Online strips, Sabrina decides to indulge in some "hands-on" "cybering" with her (then still-unseen) internet boyfriend, Richard. She's just getting into things when her roommate, Amy, walks in on her. (Which later earns Richard the nickname "Sticky Fingers")
- Variation in 8-Bit Theater: Black Mage manages to turn self-love into an atrocity (you really don't want to know how, but let's just say It Makes Sense in Context), and Thief somehow gets his hands on photos of the event to blackmail him with.
- In Sexy Losers, Mike and his sister Michelle are both completely unfazed by anyone walking in on them in the act. The humour comes from the reaction of Mike's house mate Mark.
- In a Menage a 3 comic, flaming gay Dillon walks in on Zii having some alone time. While calling out the name of her female roommate. And watching Perry Hotter, Part 16.
- Calling out DiDi's name was definitely ironic, seeing as the porn was a Yaoi title.
- Gary also walks in on an actor in a play he's at getting a blowjob from an understudy. Gary is disturbed. The actors are unfazed.
- Captain SNES: The Game Masta
- Double Subverted in this Cyanide and Happiness strip.
- Mr. Stinky plays with the trope in this Flying Man and Friends strip.
- This Oglaf strip.
- Roy in Confiscated Twins is caught by his sister.
- You know that rock tumbler that Sue Richards gave Ben Grimm for his birthday?
- In Sunstone, after a very memorable first night with Lisa, Ally is caught in the middle of some "alone time" by Alan.
- In The Word Weary, customers walking in on employees masturbating has become a bit of a problem.
- QUILTBAG: On their first night in the dorm, Lisa, assuming that Sara's asleep, has phone sex with Stan. In fact, Sara's awake, and more than a little weirded out.
- An entire episode of American Dad is dedicated to masturbation. Stan reveals he has never masturbated before in his life and rather has repressed his urges through other, more 'wholesome' activities. In an attempt to instill this mentality in Steve, he tries to teach him woodcraft. Stan directs Steve to plunge a hot poker into a piece of wood that is held directly over Stan's lap, resulting in obvious (and painful) injury. The doctor gives him a special cream which he mistakenly thinks he must rub over the 'affected area' each day, essentially masturbating with lubricant. Stan soon becomes addicted to it and attempts to masturbate at any chance he can get.
- Strangely, not once in the entire episode do they ever use the words "Masturbation" or "Masturbate".
- On an episode of The Simpsons, after Bart had walked in on his parents having sex, Milhouse assures him that it's better to walk in on both your parents rather than just one.
- The episode "Like Father, Like Clown" parodies this with a flashback where Hyman Krustofski catches his son playing with a seltzer bottle in the bathroom, which is a parody of a scene in the play Brighton Beach Memoirs where this trope is played straight.
- The episode "Dethhealth" of Metalocalypse has a variation on this with Murderface. While he is getting the infamous "turn you head and cough" test administered by a doctor he imagines that a hot woman, not the doctor, has their hands on his penis. Hilarity Ensues.
- It wasn't just hot women. There was also a fireman, his grandma, Obama, and other weird things.
- The episode where the band discusses "s*cking their own c*cks". It's time to take off for a show, Charles goes to gather the boys, only to find each in their room in a compromising position.
- The Venture Brothers has The Monarch watching Dr. Girlfriend seducing Dr. Venture on a video monitor. He starts rubbing his chest, his hand drifts downward...and stops abruptly when a henchman passes through.
- The pilot to Archer has Archer walking in on his mom having a "private phone call" with the head of the KGB.
Malory: And take a shower. God, you smell like a whorehouse.
Archer: Yes, your own fingers.
Malory: What was that?
- In the South Park episode "Overlogging" Stan's dad Randy has gone for weeks without masturbating to internet porn, eventually near the end he sneaks into the camp's computer room, looks at a bunch of perverted things, and eventually ejaculates all over the room, everyone comes in thinking he was grunting in pain and with his pants down, he tells them that he was doing that because "a ghost was attacking him and left his ectoplasm everywhere".
- This was played for drama in an earlier episode, when Butters caught his father masturbating in a gay bathhouse. Butters didn't quite understand what was going on, but his father was mortified and ashamed.
- Even SpongeBob gets caught once in a while. The beginning of one episode shows him relaxing in his easy chair, intensely watching a realistic anemone on TV. The anemone is gyrating to go-go music. SpongeBob leans forward, wide-eyed and smiling broadly...then his pet snail Gary slithers in.
SpongeBob (switching the channel): I...I was just looking for the sports channel, Gary
- Happens to Orel in the "second" episode of Moral Orel in the school bathroom by the janitor, which leads to the episode's . . . plot.