Caught on the Jumbotron
So you've gone to a sporting event and, during a slow moment, you're engaged in some harmless-but-embarrassing activity, like changing your clothes, or picking your nose, or kissing a friend, or hitting a friend, when suddenly, you realize that the Jumbotron camera has decided to zoom in on the stands, and your embarrassing private activity is now being displayed, larger than life, for everyone in the stadium to enjoy. Most commonly happens when the characters in question have called in sick (usually specifically so they can attend the sporting-event in question). May result in a moment of Dull Surprise.
open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- In Lovely Complex, two characters get caught having a heart-to-heart discussion about their relationship.
- One Archie Comics story has Archie and Betty getting caught while kissing, and being completely unaware. Veronica, who's watching at home, is furious at their moment in the spotlight and takes Archie to another game to re-create the scene, but with her in it. Hilarity Ensues.
- In My Little Pony Rock Is Magic, Teenybopper, while trying to hide from her sister, gets caught on the fan cam at the Super Bowl.
- In The Ugly Truth, Abbey spills her drink on Colin's lap. She starts scrubbing quite vigorously. Of course, they get caught on the Jumbotron, and it looks like she's jerking him off.
- In Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Ferris catches a foul ball. It's shown on the Jumbo and national TV, and Principal Rooney just misses it while searching arcades for him.
- Ace Ventura: Pet Detective shows Ace fighting a bird-suited mascot on a Jumbotron at the end of the movie.
- In Taking Care Of Business, Jim Belushi plays a convicted car thief who escapes from prison specifically to attend a world series game for which he won tickets. During the game, he catches a foul ball that is caught on the jumbotron. He has to make a swift exit from the stadium shortly thereafter as the cops close in on him.
- During Any Questions For Ben?, an Australian film, Ben is sitting up in the stands with the father of one of the Wimbledon tennis players, whose performance is not up to scratch. Her father keeps pressing Ben, asking if he had sex with her, he keeps denying it, until finally he yells "No, I did not have sex with your daughter!". A slight echo sounds, and everyone is looking at him, thanks to an unfortunate boom mic.
Live Action TV
- In the Modern Family episode "Family Portrait", Phil and Gloria kiss at a Lakers game because they're on the Jumbotron, and Phil panics because he thinks Claire saw them.
- In one Friends episode, this happens when Mike tries to propose to Phoebe.
- In How I Met Your Mother, Robin and Brad kiss at a "totally not a date" hockey game after being caught on the Kiss Cam. Barney appears out of nowhere to punch out Brad... but hurts his hand as a result of said punching and calls a truce.
- One episode of Seinfeld had George eating very sloppily on the Jumbotron, and the commentators mock him for not using a napkin.
- Good Luck Charlie has this happen when Teddy's Great-Uncle Mel is brought to a baseball game and proceeds to moon the players—thankfully, Teddy and Ivy manage to cover Mel with foam hands when the camera predictably ends up on the scene.
- In Warehouse 13, Pete and Myka go chasing an artifact at a hockey game. Myka ends up kissing one of the hockey players on the Jumbotron, triggering the jealous rage of a Loony Fan who has the artifact in question.
- The Simpsons:
- One episode has the "Make an Ass of Yourself!" event for the Jumbo, and it focuses on Bart. He refuses, and so Homer tickles him until Bart wets himself.
- Another has the kiss-cam, only with some rats and two straight guys.
- In another ep, Homer appears on the Jumbo and starts waving to everyone...then the camera pans down to focus on his open fly.
- Played straight in another episode with Homer and Marge kissing.
- In the Megas XLR episode "Terminate Her", Coop first realizes that Jamie and Kiva are in trouble when Jamie appears on the Jumbotron holding hands with a girl, who happens to be Kiva's ancestor. Though his first concern is that they aren't bringing him nachos.
- During the episode "Hookey" of Hey Arnold!, Arnold and Gerald are caught on the big screen at a baseball game, while playing hookey to avoid school for the day. Shortly beforehand, Arnold shows off some Genre Savviness and argues the possibility of getting caught on the Jumbotron. Ironically, Gerald brushes off this notion, reasoning that the odds of this happening are very small. They don't get in trouble, but they do evacuate the stadium extremely quickly, on the off-chance one of the teachers or school personnel may be attending the game, or watching it.
- In a MAD cartoon, one sketch shows Edward and Jacob at a sporting event, and they begin to argue, but when surprised by being caught on the Kiss Cam, they slowly lean in for a kiss.... but then quickly back away, seeming disgusted.