open/close all folders
- The Second Try: In the beginning of chapter 10 “Repeat”, Shinji and Asuka aren't ready to go to the school right after going back to the past, so Shinji tell their guardian that Asuka doesn't feel well and asks if they can stay at home. Misato jokingly asks if they're trying to skip school.
Misato: What's up with you two anyway? No breakfast yet? Shouldn't you be getting ready for school by now?
Shinji: Misato... Asuka... doesn't feel very well. Would you mind if we stay at home today?
Shinji: Well, I... uh... thought it would be better if someone would be here... in case she needs something... And since you have to go to NERV...
Misato: (teasingly) So you two want to skip school? Stay at home all alone for the whole day?
- The whole plot behind Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
- Juice: It's the four friends' regular pastime.
- X-Men: Apocalypse: On Scott Summers' second day at Xavier's school, he's "already up for a prison break," and persuades Kurt Wagner, Jean Grey and Jubilee to hang out at the mall instead of being "cooped up" in class.
Live Action TV
- A Kenan & Kel episode has the two skipping school in order to get out of having to sing a song in Spanish Class. They end up getting filmed on the news during a bank robbery and get found out.
- In one episode of The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, Zack talks Cody into playing hooky, and they go to the mall.
- Good Luck Charlie has Teddy skipping school with Ivy and going to Super Adventure Land in order to shed her goody-goody image.
- A Leave It to Beaver episode has Beaver and Larry skipping school; on the way to school, they had gotten distracted by some diggers, and one of their machines accidentally ran over their books and lunch boxes. In all the confusion, they had thought they were late for class (when they had been late twice before, and were given a warning about not arriving late again), and so Larry decides that they should skip school. When they go to the supermarket for some food samples, they accidentally end up on the set of a show being filmed there, which happens to be the same show Beaver's brother Wally is watching...
- A Drake & Josh episode has Drake convincing Josh to skip school so they can spy on their dad, who they suspect is having an affair.
- Jimmy Hopkins can skip classes in Bully to do other other activities. If he does, prefects and teachers will attempt to capture him until normal class hours end. This is occasionally necessary, as some missions and sidequests are available only during school hours. If Jimmy completes all level of a class' minigames, he'll no longer have to attend that class and can move freely.
- The Hey Arnold! episode "Hooky" has Arnold and Gerald doing this. They nearly get caught at every place they go to, and end up getting arrested after being mistaken for criminals. They decide to go back to school and turn themselves in, only to find out their school had a "Surprise Carnival Day".
- The episode "Cool Jerk" has Arnold getting talked into skipped school by his new delinquent friend, Frankie G.
- The Rocket Power episode "Snow Day" has Sam revealing that his old school back in Kansas is having a Snow Day, which inspires Otto to have his own Snow Day in order to avoid going to a boring school assembly. Otto and Sam end up getting stuck on a roller coaster and wind up on the news. When Otto's dad brings them back to school for punishment, it turns out Reggie and Twister had fun at a carnival in their assembly.
- The Spongebob Squarepants episode "Ditchin'" has Patrick convincing SpongeBob to ditch Boating School so they can go to a Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy comic book signing.
- The Fairly Oddparents has Timmy skipping school with Adam West (who has been turned into a kid) and are followed by Truant Officer Shallowgrave.
- In The Simpsons episode "The Boy Who Knew Too Much", Bart ditches school and is pursued by Principle Skinner.
- In an All Grown Up! episode, Tommy, Phil, Lil, and Dil skip school to see Lil's favorite soccer player.
- The Danny Phantom episode "Kindred Spirits" has Tucker and Sam skipping the rest of the school day to save Danny after he is kidnapped by Vlad Plasmius. When their teacher questions them about their actions, they play it off like this.
- In Arthur in the episode "Double Dare" Arthur and his friends plan to skip school though Arthur eventually calls off the plan though not all of his friends get the message.
- In Johnny Test in the episode "Johnny's Day Off" Johnny Test tries to skip school but is pursued by a cyborg truancy officer.
- One episode of My Gym Partner's a Monkey has Jake convince Adam to play hooky. The twist is that they still go to school - they just don't attend any classes.