open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- When Paige was trying out for cheerleading in FoxTrot, she started using cheers all the time; including while giving a (correct) answer to a question on The Scarlet Letter in English class. In a much later arc, she joined the JJV (junior junior varsity) cheer squad and was sent to cheer at events like chess matches and debates.
- In Zits, a group of cheerleaders use cheers to encourage Pierce to put some litter in the bin, causing him to remark that "There is such a thing as too much school spirit".
Films — Live-Action
- A deleted scene from Bring It On showed one character reviewing for the SATs by converting the answers into cheers to make them easier for her to memorise.
- The Spartan Cheerleaders from Saturday Night Live. They consisted of students Arianna (Cheri Oteri) and Craig (Will Ferrell), a pair of awkward, self-conscious pariahs who led unusual cheerleading routines at school functions to which they had not been invited.
- Parodied in a game of "Scenes from a Hat" on the American Whose Line Is It Anyway?: "Moments When Cheerleading is Inappropriate".
Greg Proops: Grandpa's dead! Gimme a D! Gimme an E! Gimme— Come on! Where's your enthusiasm?
Ryan Stiles: Vasectomy! Vasectomy! Clip clip clip!
Wayne Brady: Okay! Somebody's goin' to the 'lectric chair! Gonna fry! Gonna fry! Somebody's goin' to the 'lectric chair! Gonna— Come on! (makes buzzing sounds) Say what?! Come on! Come on!
- In Zoey 101, the main characters try to raise money for their favorite sushi restaurant, which had been badly burned in a fire. They do so by way of a people auction. Teachers are allowed to bid on students to do various chores for them. The girls are bid on by Logan, the rich Jerk Ass of the gang who offers to pay all of the money they need. The catch: the girls have to dress up as cheerleaders and follow him around, making him look good. After a few days, the girls get sick of it, and decide the one way to get him to stop is to cheer everything he does. They cheer him waking up, getting locked out of his dorm room in a towel with shampoo in his hair, and getting shut down by a girl. Eventually, he just gives them the check and begs them to leave him alone!
- An episode of California Dreams had three cheerleaders bid on a dating auction this way. As a Running Gag, they reappear a few more times in the episode; cheering in unison whenever they speak to or interact with anybody.
- Invoked and Played for Laughs in an episode of Even Stevens where Ren joins the squad, only to be criticized for not being perky enough; she takes this to heart and begins cheering all the time. This takes a turn for the bizarre where she cheers while doing laundry and suddenly realizes/cheers that a sock is missing...and still manages to make it rhyme and keep the pace.
- A.N.T. Farm: China does this after being "accepted" into the cheerleading team in "ParticipANTs".
- The Spirit Squad, a five-member stable of male cheerleaders in the WWE during 2006, whose personalities were those of obnoxious, self-loving cheerleaders who annoyed their opponents. They were best known for their feuds with Jerry Lawler and Ric Flair. One of the members, Nicky, went on to greater success as Dolph Ziggler. The other members — Kenny, Johnny, Mitch and Mikey — had varied success in the WWE and Ohio Valley Wrestling (OVW).
- Psychonauts has Crystal and Clem, who deliver pretty much all their lines in cheer form.
- Club Penguin used to have a play called "Team Blue's Rally 2", in which one of the characters was a cheerleader named Bella, who put everything that happened during the play in her cheers, and all she ever did was cheer.
- El Goonish Shive sketchbook explains why "Cheerleadra" is an awful superhero concept.
- Elan in The Order of the Stick is a Bard, but definitely falls into the "cheering at inappropriate moments" category. Like "Concentrate, Concentrate, Concentrate!" or "Move, Move, Move Silently across the battlefield!"
- The Veggie Tales episode "Tomato Sawyer And Huckleberry Larry's Big River Rescue" had a trio of female pea cheerleaders who showed up at random times during the story.
- Fanboy and Chum Chum: "2-4-6-8! I think I might regurgitate!"
- Kick Buttowski: Suburban Daredevil: "2-4-6-8! Battle Snax is really great!"
- In The Spectacular Spider Man, one episode has the supporting cast quoting Shakespeare passages in auditioning for the school play. Sally Avril turns hers into a cheer - needless to say, she doesn't get a part.
- Daria sometimes did this with Brittany, such as in "Malled" when she tries to start a cheer on the bus ride to a field trip. Her main Verbal Tic is her squeak, however.
- In the double-length Fairly OddParents episode, "Timmy's Secret Wish", Timmy wishes for his own groupies that will constantly cheer for him. However, during Timmy's trial, the groupies will not leave Timmy alone with their constant cheering for him.
- Pixel Pinkie: Happens to Nina in "The 'B' Word" when a carelessly worded statement (that she wished she could be as enthusiastic about cheering for basketball as Pinkie) to Literal Genie Pinkie causes her start speaking in cheers every time someone mentions the word "basketball".
- Paige in The Day My Butt Went Psycho. It drives Eleanor crazy. When Eleanor gets brainwashed, Zak and Duece uses Paige's cheers in an attempt to deprogram her. Instead, Eleanor ends up speaking entirely in cheers.