Smithers: But when [Mr. Burns] planned to steal our sunlight, he crossed that line between everyday villainy and cartoonish supervillany.
Dr Colossus: Bah! He was a rank amateur compared to... Dr. Colossus!So you want to become a supervillain. Here's a handy guide to accomplishing this, in several easy steps!
— The Simpsons.
- Plot to, and make an attempt to, deprive a population of a basic necessity, such as the sun, or the world.
- Kick the Dog every chance you get, even if the logic of the action doesn't make any sense or is detrimental to your goals.
- Have your plans foiled at least once by one or more of the following:
- Have a new plot every week for the aforementioned group(s) to foil.
- Have a theme or a gimmick; something as broad as "Mad Scientist who wants to take over the world/city/Tri-State Area" works if pursued with style and variety, but you really want to have a theme - ice and coldness, or riddles, for instance.
- Hate Goodness.
- Hate Christmas. Other holidays are allowed, but Christmas is a must.
- Join a political party the writer dislikes.