How do you show you're really pissed off, but don't want to Flip the Bird
? Raise a clenched fist to the sky and shake it, as if you're contemplating punching/strangling God! Even better if you have a Gloved Fist of Doom
, or there are a ton of fellow angry citizens raising their fists with you to show their solidarity and defiance towards The Man.
Will often result in Milking the Giant Cow
if overdone by a Large Ham
Can overlap with Say My Name
, Big Word Shout
. Compare Bicep-Polishing Gesture
, Fist of Rage
, Fist Pump
- Common pose for Doctor Doom.
- When Gargamel's plans fail, expect this pose from him whenever he vows to get his revenge on The Smurfs.
- The World of the Creatures has a moment where Jon Stewart does this after Stephen Colbert makes a bad joke.
- Gimme Shelter has Fleur de Lis giving one to a taxi after it hits the puddle next to her without so much as slowing down.
- Stands With a Fist from Dances with Wolves is named after this trope — it comes from when she punched out a Sioux woman who was bullying her and stood over her with a clenched fist.
- A Nazi soldier does this in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, after the main characters escape capture.
- Adele Hasn't Had Her Dinner Yet: The dwarf (one of The Gardener's minions) and police commissioner Ledvina shake their fists at each other during the final confrontation, which was filmed in a style reminiscent of old slapstick comedies. When the dwarf gets arrested and is carried away by a police officer, he's still seen shaking his fist.
- Darth Vader in Splinter of the Mind's Eye.
- Done by the protagonist of HPLovecraft's In The Walls Of Eryx in order to intimidate the Venusian natives. They're not exactly intimidated.
- At the end of the Tough Magic series, Uncle Rick does this to Holois, after she hits his nose one last time.
- "10000 fists" by Disturbed.
- In the video for "Come Dancing", Ray Davies does this to his date's younger brother.
- Done in an animation in No Good Gofers where the player's golf ball goes through a clubhouse window.
- General Yagov in F-14 Tomcat does this to his foe, "Hitman".
- Fatal Fury: GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!!!!!!
- All the time in Final Fantasy VII, though since everyone's hands are just polygon blocks, you're free to imagine what the fingers are doing while they flail about.
- Happens at the beginning of Knuckles story in Sonic & Knuckles. Knux is relaxing in Mushroom Hills with his li'l animal buddies when a lone Egg Robo drops a bomb. Once he gets up and sees the culprit, Knuckles does this before giving chase.
- In Sonic's story, Sonic walks in on Knuckles doing this to Dr. Eggman stealing the Master Emerald towards the end of Hidden Palace Zone.
- When Fancy Pants Man does it in The Fancy Pants Adventure: World 2 in response to stolen ice cream, the mayor of Squiggleville comments that "Not even a fist-shaking as magnificent as that will bring back that tasty frozen treat!"
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: The killer in case 1-5 begins doing this once you begin to get close to nailing him.
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies : Bobby Fulbright, your ham-saturated detective, will clench his shaking fist at you in righteous fury whenever he gets the chance to. He's exaggerating it completely to seem he actually does feel that way, he doesn't really feel it at all, or care.