How do you show you're really pissed off, but don't want to Flip the Bird
? Raise a clenched fist to the sky and shake it, as if you're contemplating punching/strangling God! Even better if you have a Gloved Fist of Doom
, or there are a ton of fellow angry citizens raising their fists with you to show their solidarity and defiance towards The Man.
Will often result in Milking the Giant Cow
if overdone by a Large Ham
Can overlap with Say My Name
, Big Word Shout
. Compare Bicep-Polishing Gesture
, Fist of Rage
, Fist Pump
- Common pose for Doctor Doom.
- When Gargamel's plans fail, expect this pose from him whenever he vows to get his revenge on The Smurfs.
- Stands With a Fist from Dances with Wolves is named after this trope — it comes from when she punched out a Sioux woman who was bullying her and stood over her with a clenched fist.
- A Nazi soldier does this in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, after the main characters escape capture.
- Adele Hasn't Had Her Dinner Yet: The dwarf (one of The Gardener's minions) and police commissioner Ledvina shake their fists at each other during the final confrontation, which was filmed in a style reminiscent of old slapstick comedies. When the dwarf gets arrested and is carried away by a police officer, he's still seen shaking his fist.
- Done in an animation in No Good Gofers where the player's golf ball goes through a clubhouse window.
- General Yagov in F-14 Tomcat does this to his foe, "Hitman".
- Fatal Fury: GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!!!!!!
- All the time in Final Fantasy VII, though since everyone's hands are just polygon blocks, you're free to imagine what the fingers are doing while they flail about.
- Happens at the beginning of Knuckles story in Sonic & Knuckles. Knux is relaxing in Mushroom Hills with his li'l animal buddies when a lone Egg Robo drops a bomb. Once he gets up and sees the culprit, Knuckles does this before giving chase.
- When Fancy Pants Man does it in The Fancy Pants Adventure: World 2 in response to stolen ice cream, the mayor of Squiggleville comments that "Not even a fist-shaking as magnificent as that will bring back that tasty frozen treat!"