open/close all folders
- "SUUUURGE!" from one of Coca-Cola's attempts to enter the citrus soda market dominated by Mountain Dew.
- "Cillit BANG!"
- "SEGA!": The Sega Scream from North American commercials for the Sega Genesis and its add-ons, the Sega CD and 32X. Some commercials for Genesis ports of third party games used the scream. Used in-game in at least one title: Sonic 3D Blast.
- "SE-GAAAAA!": While best known in North America for it's use in Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, and 3 (and Knuckles), this jingle was used in Japanese commercials for all of Sega's console offerings from the SG-1000, to the Sega Saturn (when it was replaced by the "Segata Sanshiro" campaign).
- "BARNEY!!"note : In almost every commercial for Post's "Pebbles" cereals, Barney would try to trick Fred into giving him his Pebbles by using all sorts of Paper Thin Disguises only for something to cause Barney to reveal himself with Fred chasing after him. This hasn't been used in the last few years, however.
- "HARRISON!": from a 2009 advert for Specsavers.
- "(It's) BACON!!!"note
- "RAID?!!!" ([Boom!])
Anime & Manga
- Used many times in Soul Eater, with many contributions by none other than the resident ham, Black* Star. Also on a similar note "FOOL"
- "BAAAAAN... KAI!" from Bleach. Japanese for "Final Release".
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: TEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAA!!!
- A few times in Dragon Ball Z. Example: after being beaten by the Androids, Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy Vegeta vents his frustration by shouting "KUSOOOOOOOO!" ("SHIIIIIIIIT!") so loudly it crumbles the mountain he's standing on.
- AKIRA: "KAAAAAANNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDAAAAAAAA!!!!!"
- Neo Ranga "RANGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
- Gundam "GUNDAM!
- Code Geass: RRRRUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSHU!!!!!!!!
- S Cryed: HAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! *ad infinitum*
- "RYUUUUUUUHOOOOU!!" "KAZUUUUMAAAAAAA!!"
- One Piece: "GOMU-GOMU NOOOOOOOOOOOO......''PISUTORUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!'", etc
- "MUGIWARA!!" (or in English: "STRAW HAT!!")
- Fairy Tail: "Karyuu no...HOUKOOOOOOOOU!" and all variations thereupon.
- The English equivalent: "Fire Dragon...ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAR!"
- MOETE KITAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!note
- GIGANTOOOOOOOOOR!! GIGANTOOOOOOOOOR!! GIGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!!!
- Not done in the Japanese theme, however.
- Original Pretty Cure: ZAKENNA!
- Samurai Pizza Cats: Fuh-RED!note .
- The late, great country comedienne Minnie Pearl: "HOWDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!"note
- In chapter 82 of Mario and Sonic: Heroes Unite!, as Bowser is delivering the smackdown to Metal Sonic, Bowser Jr. suddenly yells at him to stop.
- Deserving: "Dumbledorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre!" "Snape!!!!!!!!!!!!"
- In an Omake chapter of the first story in Noir Ange, also known as My Destiny My Fervent Plea one of the main characters gets a little too hyper: "CUUUUUUU- UUUUUUUUUUUU - UUUUUUUUUUU- UUUUUUUUUUUUU- UUUUUUUUUU- UUUUUUUUUUU- UUUUUUU- UUUUUUUUUUU-UUUUUUUUU- UUUUUUUUUU- UUUUUUUUUUUUU- UUUUUUU- UUUUUUUTE!"
Films — Animation
- Toy Story: "B-B-B-B-B-B-BUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZ!!!"
Films — Live-Action
- (500) Days of Summer: "PEEENIS!"
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: "KHAAAAAAAN!"
- So big, it bounces off the edge of the universe to echo in outer space.
- People fail to realize that Kirk is intentionally over-doing it to trick Khan. It's revealed later that he has an escape plan.
- Subverted by all things with the Little "No" moment when Spock dies. Shatner instead moans a soft understated "No", which shows just how hard Kirk is taking the loss of his closest friend.
- Given an homage in Star Trek Into Darkness by Spock when Kirk gets a Disney Death.
- Spoofed on 'The Big Bang Theory'' as "WHEATON!"
- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier: "YOOOOOOOOOUUUU!!!!"
- Also, "SHOOT HIIIIIM!!!!"
- School Ties: "COOOOOOWARDS!!!"
- Star Trek: "SPOOOCK!" Is that a look of recognition on Alternate-Kirk's face?
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show: "BRAD?!" "JANET?!"
- Dog Day Afternoon: "ATTICA!"
- Scent of a Woman: "Hoo-ah!"
- 2001: A Space Odyssey: "HAL!"
- The Graduate: "ELAAAAIIIIIINE!"
- Rocky: "ADRIAN!"
- Godzilla: "GOJIRAAAAA!"
- Stand by Me: "TRAAAAAAINNNN!"
- The Princess Bride: "INCONCEIVABLE!"
- The Professional: "EVVVVVV-EREEEEY-OOOOONE!"
- Flash Gordon: "(Oh well, who wants to live forever?) DIIIIIIIIIVE!"
- Italian Spiderman: "PENGUIIIIINIIII!"
- Pirates of the Caribbean: "DOWWWWN!"
- Dead Man's Chest: Jack ¡¡¡SPARROW!!!
- At World's End: "FIRE!"
- Minority Report: "RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNN!"
- Home Alone: "KEVIN!!"
- Maniac "MOTHEEEEEEER!"
- Psycho "Oh god, MOTHER!"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail: "NI!"
- Superman Returns: "WRRRRRRONG!"
- Superman: "MISS TESSMACHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRR!!!"
- Donnie Darko "FUCK!"
- Judge Dredd: "LAAAAAW!"
- Pink Floyd: The Wall: "STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!"
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990): "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!"
- In The Wizard when Putnam finally catches up to Jimmy, Corey, and Haley while they are in Las Vegas: "HALEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYY!!"
- Red Dawn (1984): "WOLVERINES!!!"
- Norbit: "ENOUGH!"
- The Devil's Rain: "CORBIS!"
- Taken Up to Eleven in the live action Popeye movie, courtesy of Bluto: "OOOOOOOOLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
- UHF: SUPPLIES!!
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit: (A) MAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!note
"(Oh...my...God..., it's) DIIIIIIIIIIP!!!!"note
- Jessica in a later scene:
- The Force Awakens: "TRAITOR!!!" Not once, but twice.
- Our Miss Brooks: "Now GO!", Mr. Conklin's favored expression when ordering someone out of his office.
- Bill Nye the Science Guy: SCIENCE!
- Heroes: "YATTA!", Hiro Nakamura.
- Cheers: "NOOOOORMMMM!!!!"
- Doctor Who:
- GERONIMOOOOOOOOOOO!!! note
- Mystery Science Theater 3000:
- Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.: "PYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYLE!"
- Monty Python's Flying Circus: "SPAM!"
- Garth Marenghis Darkplace: "NUUUURRRRSE!"
- Seinfeld: "BRAAAUUUUUN!"
- MacGyver: "MACGYVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!"
- Lost: "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLT!"
- Entourage: "VICTORRRYYYYYYYYY!!!!"
- Farscape: "AERYYYYYYYYYYYYYN!!!"
- CAN I GET A HELL YEAH?!
- The Colbert Report: KANYEEEEEEEEEEE!"
- Never Mind the Buzzcocks: "BARROWMANNNNNNN!"
- Top Gear: "POOOOOWWWWERRRRRRRRRRRR!"
- Kenan & Kel: "WHHHHYYYYYYY?"
- How I Met Your Mother made a joke based on showing clips of Ted trying to use this trope to convince everyone he knows other than Robin to go to a "Weird Al" Yankovic concert with him:
- Dave Chappelle's impression of Lil Jon featured YEEAAAH!, WHAT?!, and OKAAYYY!
- Ursula "Araña" (or rather, "Arana") from the Mexican telenovela María Belén: ¡¡BELEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!
- Harry Hill's TV Burp: "SALMOOOOOOOOON!"
- I'm Alan Partridge: "DAN!"
- That Mitchell and Webb Look: "HENNIMOOOOOORE!"
- Sesame Street: "(ME LOVE) COOKIIIIIEEEEE!"
- The Muppets: "Ker-MIT!"note
- Anything Animal says.note
- 4 Non Blondes:
(And I say) HEY-EY-EY-EYYYY! HEY-EY-EYYYY!note
- Alice Cooper: "STEEEEVEN?"
- Lil Jon: "OOHHHHHH-KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!" "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!"
- Nirvana "PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIN!"
- The Wall: STOP!
- Kaizers Orchestra and their: "HALLELUUUUUUUJA"
- Or Handel and his (except that's more of a HAAAAALLELUJAH or, at the end of the piece, HALLEEEEEEEEELUJAAAAAAAH!)
- System of a Down: GOODBYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!al
- Underground Metal (death, black, etc), and sometimes even mainstream genres (e.g., such "hair" metal) will often have this at some point.
- "Hit and Run" by Loletta Holloway: "When it comes to... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!"
- This also often occurs in classical opera.
- This was a trademark of the late mambo / salsa singer Célia Cruz: "¡AZÚCAR!" (lit.: "sugar")
- This happens in the song Clarity by Zedd featuring Foxes:
"If our love's insanity, why are you my clarity?""HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYY!!!"
- Eric Clapton: LAY-LA!note
- In The Machine: Bride of Pin*Bot, one of the astronauts shouts "YAHOO!" whenever you make the 200,000 point Skill Shot.
- In games that have voices, a number of common phrases include, but may not be limited to:
- Creature from the Black Lagoon: "FOCUS!"
- Monster Bash: "(IT'S) ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!"
- The Addams Family: "SHOWTIME!" (when multiball starts)
- No Good Gofers: RIPOFF!note
- Tito Santana: "ARRIBA!"
- Sgt. Slaughter: "AT-TEN-HUT!!"
- CM Punk wants to remind all the Full Impact Pro fans listening that you are a WHOOOOORE!
- *"Ladies And Gentleman! From Green Bay Wisconsin! Weighing In Tonight At 235 Pounds! MIIIISTER KEENEDY!"................................................................................"...KENNEDY!"(or in promotions fearing lawsuits like TNA"...ANDERSON"!)
- Ricardo Rodriguez is pleased to introduce Albertooooooooooooooooooooooooooo[...]ooooo, DEL RIO!
- How do you know Christian will be at a WWE show or not? You hear a booming "GO!"
- "Ladies and gentlemen, here is your winnernote : JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNN CEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
- Latin American football sportscasters: "¡¡¡GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!"
- Pablo Ramirez: "¡¡¡GOLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZOOOOOO!!!
- Korean Starcraft commentarots: "GEEEEEGEEEEEEEE!"
- Murray Walker's BBC commentary on Formula One: "And it's...GO GO GO GO GO!"
- An old golf expression: "FORE!"
- In Bells Are Ringing, when Jeff realizes that "Melisande Scott" is the same person who answers his calls at Susanswerphone, he shouts the only other name he knows her by: "MOOOOOOOOOOM!!!"
- In Leonard Bernstein's Mass, the Celebrant interrupts "Dona Nobis Pacem" by shouting "PA-CEM! PACEM! PAAAAAAAAAAA-CEM!" and shattering the holy vessels.
- A Streetcar Named Desire: "STELLLLLAAAAAA!!!"
Oliver: Please sir, I want some more.Mr. Bumble: WHAT?!Oliver: Please sir, I want some...more?Mr. Bumble:MORE?!!
- The earliest "talking" dolls did this ("MA-MA!").
- Metal Gear: "Snake? What happened? Snake? SNAAAAAAAKE!!!"
- Tales of the Abyss: "REPLICAAAAA!"
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: "HIDOIKUPOOOOOO!!" (in the Japanese version in place of the Big "NO!".)
- Sonic the Hedgehog: "MARIA!"
- Metal Wolf Chaos: "RICHAAAAAARD!!"
- Elite Beat Agents: "HEAAALP!"
- And, of course: "OUUUUENNNDAAAAAANN!"
- God of War: "ARIEEEES!"
- Team Fortress 2: "MEDIIIIIIIIC!" (which the Medic sees as his symbol in a word balloon emanating from the person needing help)
- In Commander Keen Episode 1, most of the small levels have a Yorp statue near the exit bearing a telepathic hint. One level has a Garg statue instead, which says only "GAAARRRRRGG!"
- Portal 2: "Space? Space! SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!"
- Max Payne: In 3: "GOD DAMMIT!"
- Silent Hill: "CHERYL!?"
- Super Robot Wars: "CHESTUOOO!!!!"
- In Hyperdimension Neptunia, firing as Compa will sometimes prompt her to yell, "SHOOOOOOOOOOOOT!"
- In Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2, performing Nepgear's Slash Wave attack will result in her shouting, "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
- Resident Evil 5: CHRIIIIIISSSSSSS!!!!!!
- In Punch-Out!! for the Wii, Great Tiger does this in Title Defense mode if he's facing imminent defeat:
- Then there's Von Kaiser (also in Title Defense mode):
- The 1986 arcade game Genpei Touma Den has "BAka mé!" ("You fool!") spoken by Benkei when Kagekiyo has to fight him.
- Ratchet & Clank series: "LAWRENCE!!!"
- Rodea: The Sky Soldier: CECILIA!!note
- At least one Older Than They Think example happens in the NES game Wild Gunman: "FIRE!"
- Tomodachi Life: "YUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!"note
- Ace Attorney:
- Very, very frequent: "OBJECTION!" "GOTCHA!" "EUREKA!" "SILENCE!"
- The series also has various other moments were a word is shouted out, a lot of the time in captials with multiple exclamation points and even a lot of the time drawn out. "WHAAAAT?!" is pretty common, as is "N-NOOOOOOOOO!!". In Dual Destinies even Edgeworth does one of these, when Phoenix proves that the true murderer posed as the victim whom they had just killed.
Edgeworth: B-But that's...Im...Im...IMMMPOSSIBLEEEEEEEE!!!
- YouTube Poop: "AFRICAAAAAA!"
- The Spoony Experiment: "PHANTASMAGORIA!"
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series: "KROOOOOOOOOOOZE!!"
- Dragon Ball Abridged: "DOOOOOOOOODGE!"
- 5 Second Films: "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!"
- Bad Movie Beatdown: "SYMBOLISM!!!11!!"
- When co-reviewing Sucker Punch with JesuOtaku, it became "FEMINISM!!1!OMGBRILLIANT!11!!"
- Other reviewers have tried to use the phrase. When reviewing Nukie, The Cinema Snob tried to get Mat to do the bit, but it was early in the morning and Mat had a funeral to go to. He ends up doing a half-hearted version of his own.
- The Nostalgia Critic ends up destroying all of Chicago during his review of Quest for Camelot. He keeps demanding that the movie explain what is going on ("EXPLAIN MOVIE! EXPLAIN!") until his frustration finally erupted in an actual atomic explosion.
Critic: "JUST...EX...PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIINNNNN!!!!!!"Critic: * Leans back in his chair and breathes a sigh of relief, before doing a Double Take as he looks outside to see a leveled city and emergency response teams running around.* "Er..... Sorry."
- This anguished review of Boku No Pico: "YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!" Censored but still NSFW.
- Nothing will stop Captain Hammer from finishing his villainous Hero Song. "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!"
- 90s Kid of Atop the Fourth Wall ended a sentence with one. He also usually introduces himself with "DUUUUDE!"
- Then there's the beginning of the: "Adventures of the Kool-Aid Man" review.
Linkara: WHY?! Why make a comic about the Kool-Aid Man?!
- Then there's the beginning of the: "Adventures of the Kool-Aid Man" review.
- College Humor created "Powerthirst," a spoof advertisement for a made-up energy drink. About half of the runtime of the video (and of the sequel) involves a man with steroids in his voice shouting random catchwords like a drill sergeant.
- Two Best Friends Play: "AMMMMEERRRRIIIICCAAAAAAAA!!!!"
- The Runaway Guys— specifically ProtonJon— give us "GAAAAAME!"
- Doom House: "WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?"
- The Tick: "SPOOOOON!!"
- The Flintstones: "WILMAAAAAAA!"
- The Jetsons: "JETSOOOOOOON!"
- Transformers: "STAAAAAARSCREEEEEEEAM!"
- Beast Wars: "MEGATROOOOOOON!!!"
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: "AAAALLLLLLLVIIIIIIN!!!"
- "OKAY!!!" or sometimes "Yes, Dave?"
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame: "SANCTUARYYYYY!!!"
- The Simpsons: "MENDOZAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!"
- Batman: The Animated Series: "HARLLLLLLLEEEEEEYYYYY!!!"
- Avatar: The Last Airbender: "HONOOOORRRRRRRR!!!"
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic:
- The show seems to have a thing for ponies dramatically shouting "FOREVER!" It's been done by Nightmare Moon, Pinkie Pie, Princess Luna, Rainbow Dash, and Doughnut Joe.
- In "Castle Mane-ia", Twilight shouts "Stop!" as her friends are aimlessly panicking about nothing, punctuated by a spell that freezes them all in place.
- Adventure Time: "UNACCEPTABLLLLLLLLE!!"
- Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy: "BIG TROUBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEE!!!!!!"
- Jem: "ERRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIC!!!!!"
- Aside from the expected Metal Scream, Metalocalypse featured Doctor Rockzo the Rock n' Roll clown's Catch Phrase of "I do COCAINE!"
- Invader Zim is full of this, not surprising as it's set in a universe of hamnote
- The Powerpuff Girls: "ENOUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHH!"
- Daffy Duck's Quackbusters: "CUPIIIIIISH!!"
- What's Opera Doc?: "SMOOOOOOOG!!"note
- Captain Hareblower: CHAAAAAAAAAARGE!!!note
- At least one Merrie Melodies short has a mother rabbit doing this to her son, "PETER!!".
- Hong Kong Phooey: "PENRY!!"
- Super Mario World: "Mario, wherever you are, HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!"
- The Smurfs: "SMUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRFS!!!"
- Teen Titans: "ENOUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHH!"
- The Rugrats Movie: "Nice try babies, now give me back my...*GASP*...CYNTHIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!"
- Little Lulu: Oh, LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULUUUUUUUUUUUU!
- ''The Ren & Stimpy Show: A-TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNN-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!
- ''The Fairly Oddparents: FAIRIES!!!
- Animaniacs: "FLAMEEL!"
- Futurama: *deep breath* "DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO--" The scene cuts away before Bender can complete his "DOOMED!"
- Inspector Gadget: "GADGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!"
- The Angry Beavers" "THROOOOOOOOAAAAAT!" note
- The Secret of NIMH: "BRIS-BY!!"note
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: "COWABUNGA!"
- Any First Name Ultimatum can take this form when a parent is especially angry at their son/daughter.
- Whether literally, or figuratively, anyone living in (especially extreme) poverty will likely be saying this at some point: "FOOD!"