When anyone shouts a single word hard and loud (although that one word can be shouted more than once), for various reasons, as long as the reason is other
than actually needing to shout. If someone is shouting because of a noisy room, someone is far away, or that someone is barking out orders, it doesn't count.
If the word is someone's name
, this often takes the form of a Skyward Scream
If any other word is included, even if it's not shouted, it doesn't count as this trope.
of Chewing the Scenery
A Super Trope
, Say My Name
, Calling Your Attacks
, Metal Scream
, Death Wail
, Big "OMG!"
, Big "Shut Up!"
, Punctuated! For! Emphasis!
(those three would be sub tropes, but use more than one word).
is a variant of this, when used as Kung-Foley
Not to be confused with Big Words
open/close all folders
- "SUUUURGE!" from one of Coca-Cola's attempts to enter the citrus soda market dominated by Mountain Dew.
- "Cillit BANG!"
- "SEGA!": The Sega Scream from North American commercials for the Sega Genesis and its add-ons, the Sega CD and 32X. Some commercials for Genesis ports of third party games used the scream. Used in-game in at least one title: Sonic 3D Blast.
- "SE-GAAAAA!": While best known in North America for it's use in Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, and 3 (and Knuckles), this jingle was used in Japanese commercials for all of Sega's console offerings from the SG-1000, to the Sega Saturn (when it was replaced by the "Segata Sanshiro" campaign).
- "BARNEY!!"note : In almost every commercial for Post's "Pebbles" cereals, Barney would try to trick Fred into giving him his Pebbles by using all sorts of Paper Thin Disguises only for something to cause Barney to reveal himself with Fred chasing after him. This hasn't been used in the last few years, however.
- "HARRISON!": from a 2009 advert for Specsavers.
Anime and Manga
- Used many times in Soul Eater, with many contributions by none other than the resident ham, Black* Star. Also on a similar note "FOOL"
- "BAAAAAN... KAI!" from Bleach. Japanese for "Final Release".
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: TEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAA!!!
- A few times in Dragon Ball Z. Example: after being beaten by the Androids, Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy Vegeta vents his frustration by shouting "KUSOOOOOOOO!" ("SHIIIIIIIIT!") so loudly it crumbles the mountain he's standing on.
- At the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament, when Goku doesn't recognize Chichi she suddenly gets really mad and yells BAKA/FOOL! so loud everyone in the room falls over.
- AKIRA: "KAAAAAANNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDAAAAAAAA!!!!!"
- This is a trope that's not so unusual in anime, with two characters shouting their names back and forth like here. InuYasha and at least one .hack series do it often, for example.
- Neo Ranga "RANGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
- Gundam "GUNDAM!
- Code Geass: RRRRUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSHU!!!!!!!!
- s-CRY-ed: HAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! *ad infinitum*
- "RYUUUUUUUHOOOOU!!" "KAZUUUUMAAAAAAA!!"
- One Piece: "GOMU-GOMU NOOOOOOOOOOOO......''PISUTORUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!'", etc
- Fairy Tail: "Karyuu no...HOUKOOOOOOOOU!" and all variations thereupon.
- The English equivalent: "Fire Dragon...ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAR!"
- GIGANTOOOOOOOOOR!! GIGANTOOOOOOOOOR!! GIGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!!!
- Not done in the Japanese theme, however.
- Done in every one of the Pigeon books, big enough to fill a double-page spread.
Live Action TV
- Alice Cooper: "STEEEEVEN?"
- Lil Jon: "OOHHHHHH-KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!" "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!"
- Nirvana "PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIN!"
- The Wall: STOP!
- Kaizers Orchestra and their: "HALLELUUUUUUUJA"
- Or Handel and his (except that's more of a HAAAAALLELUJAH or, at the end of the piece, HALLEEEEEEEEELUJAAAAAAAH!)
- System of a Down: GOODBYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!al
- Underground Metal (death, black, etc), and sometimes even mainstream genres (e.g., such "hair" metal) will often have this at some point.
- "Hit and Run" by Loletta Holloway: "When it comes to... LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!"
- This also often occurs in classical opera.
- This was a trademark of the late mambo / salsa singer Célia Cruz: "¡AZÚCAR!" (lit.: "sugar")
- Latin American football sportscasters: "¡¡¡GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!"
- Pablo Ramirez: "¡¡¡GOLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZOOOOOO!!!
- Korean Starcraft commentarots: "GEEEEEGEEEEEEEE!"
- Murray Walker's BBC commentary on Formula One: "And it's...GO GO GO GO GO!"
- An old golf expression: "FORE!"
- The Tick: "SPOOOOON!!"
- The Flintstones: "WILMAAAAAAA!"
- The Jetsons: "JETSOOOOOOON!"
- Transformers: "STAAAAAARSCREEEEEEEAM!"
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: "AAAALLLLLLLVIIIIIIN!!!"
- "OKAY!!!" or sometimes "Yes, Dave?"
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame: "SANCTUARYYYYY!!!"
- The Simpsons: "MENDOZAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!"
- Batman: The Animated Series: "HARLLLLLLLEEEEEEYYYYY!!!"
- Avatar: The Last Airbender : "HONOOOORRRRRRRR!!!"
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic seems to have a thing for ponies dramatically shouting "FOREVER!" It's been done by Nightmare Moon, Pinkie Pie, Princess Luna, Rainbow Dash, and Doughnut Joe.
- In "Castle Mane-ia” Twilight shouts "Stop!" as her friends are aimlessly panicking about nothing, punctuated by a spell that freezes them all in place.
- Adventure Time: "UNACCEPTABLLLLLLLLE!!"
- Jem: "ERRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIC!!!!!"
- Aside from the expected Metal Scream, Metalocalypse featured Doctor Rockzo the Rock n' Roll clown's Catch Phrase of "I do COCAINE!"
- Invader Zim is full of this, not surprising as it's set in a universe of hamnote
- The Powerpuff Girls: "ENOUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHH!"
- Daffy Duck's Quackbusters: "CUPIIIIIISH!!"
- What's Opera Doc?: "SMOOOOOOOG!!"note
- Hong Kong Phooey: "PENRY!!"
- Super Mario World: "Mario, wherever you are, HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!"
- The Smurfs: "SMUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRFS!!!"
- Teen Titans: "ENOUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHH!"
- The Rugrats Movie: "Nice try babies, now give me back my...*GASP*...CYNTHIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!"
- ''Little Lulu: Oh, LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULUUUUUUUUUUUU!
- What's Opera, Doc?: "SMOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGG!
- The late, great country comedienne Minnie Pearl: "HOWDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!"note