open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- One of the last Azumanga Daioh strips had the girls going to Yukari and thanking her for being their teacher. However, the actual "Thank You" panel showed the girls facing toward the reader, subtly thanking them as well.
- The very final shot in Puella Magi Madoka Magica is this◊ "Thank you for watching" artwork.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion inverts this with the infamous congratulatory scene at the end. What exactly you are being congratulated for is all up to you, though. Perhaps for making it through the show.
- In episode 167 of Gintama, Gintoki becomes nostalgic about 8-bit video games and mentions how touched he was when he saw the words "you" in the credits at the end of the game.
- Battle Programmer Shirase had an unusual variant. The head director apologized for the show having to end, specifically addressing: "To those who enjoyed the show on TV and to those outside the broadcast area who took special measures to watch the show on their PC monitors and to everybody who watched it subtitled overseas without permission."
- Some of Pretty Cure's Alternate Continuities do this for its fans.
- Futari Wa Pretty Cure Splash Star's last lines are exactly this + We Will Meet Again. Of course, they eventually do.
- Both Smile Pretty Cure! and DokiDoki! Precure thank their fans with a pastel image. The latter's is shown above. An "Thanks and Goodbye" end card sketch has been done for the final episode of every season since then.
- Happiness Charge Pretty Cure invokes this for the franchise's Milestone Celebration with appearances from all 33 previous Cures note at the beginning of each episode.
- At the end of Happiness Charge, Cure Lovely's thanks the viewers for supporting the characters of the now-finished series and then introduces the leader in the next series, Cure Flora. This marked the first time the past lead Cure has ever took to the screens to thank the viewers and pass the baton. Just like the pastel drawings, this procedure has also been repeated since then.
- Assassination Classroom has Kororsensei give the diploma to the reader in the final chapter's opening color page.◊
- The same thing happens at the end of the second season’s final episode when Nagisa wearing Koro-sensei’s gown waves goodbye to the audience with the words next to him saying "Thanks for watching Assassination Classroom"◊
- Most Fan Fic writers thank their readers at some point, but this especially tends to happen a) on the last installment of their work and b) when the work has been particularly long and/or with many readers and fans ("Thanks for sticking with me so long/being such wonderful fans").
Live Action TV
- The end of Angel.
- Cheers ended its 11-year run with a Lonely Piano Piece version of the end credits theme, followed by the message "Thanks for having us over on all those Thursday nights—Cheers" on the screen.
- Everybody Loves Raymond is produced by a company called "Where's Lunch?", and features a different dish on a plate as its couch gag / Vanity Plate. In its place for the finale is a bill reading "no charge". Apparently, we were good customers.
- Inverted by Charlie Brooker in Screenwipe, Newswipe, and You Have Been Watching, where he usually tells the viewer to go away. In fact it's almost a Catch-Phrase.
- Subverted in the fourth season finale of Babylon 5 (the first episode filmed after season 5 was greenlit by the network) which was dedicated to "all the people who predicted that the Babylon Project would fail in its mission".
- Barney Miller: "Goodbye and thank you from all of us at the ol' one two."
- In the series finale of Happy Days after Joanie and Chachi's wedding, Howard Cunningham gives a speech, and at the end, he turns to the audience and says, "Thank you all for being part of our family."
- Korean Drama Who Are You? ends with some behind-the-scenes footage, followed by the male and female leads appearing out-of-character to thank the viewer for watching
- The WB had a video thanking their viewers over their 11-year run, which ran at the very end of the last commercial break of its final program (the pilot of Dawson's Creek) before being replaced with The CW. The last image before it went off the air for good (the credits of the final show notwithstanding) was a silhouette of Michigan J. Frog, who had been the mascot for the channel up until 2005, taking a symbolic final bow.
- The end credits for the final episode of MythBusters included Special Thanks to "viewers across the world for watching, submitting ideas and telling us what we got wrong!"
- The credits of both the Season 7 finale and the Season 10 finale of Mystery Science Theater 3000 had the credits give a special thanks to "All MS Ties worldwide".
- ABBA had a song on their Album album called "Thank You For The Music", which was re-released before they fizzled out to thank their fans for sticking by them.
- Freddy Mercury gives his public farewell in the last line of "These are the days of our lives" (the last videoclip he made) when he looks into the camera and says to the audience: "I still love you."
- An Easter Egg in the "Weird Al" Yankovic album, "Straight Outta Lynwood" features Al paying home movies, but before that, he thanks you for buying his CD... "instead of downloading like some HOOLIGAN!"
- While it doesn't have "credits" the tecnicos of Chikara will often thank fans for coming the show as they leave the arena during intermissions.
- After their final show of 2015, LLF put a thank you banner◊ on their then new site.
- Leva Bates stated the Heart Of SHIMMER Championship Tournament was all a big lead up to this and it became disturbed after coming to the conclusion every other wrestler picked had failed to realize it.
- In video games in general it's almost a tradition to thank the player at the ending credits, particularly in the "Special Thanks" section. The phrase 'and YOU' appears in the end credits of huge numbers of games, including many Capcom arcade games.
- Viewtiful Joe ends with the words "Everybody loves a hero. Everybody loves you" on the screen.
- Crazy Taxi
- The computer game Digital: A Love Story.
- The credits sequence in Kirby's Dream Land ends in "And... so many players."
- EarthBound famously used this at the end. It even addresses the player by their real name. Assuming that you didn't put in "BUTTS" or "Ness".
- In MOTHER 3, you are mentioned, by name, at the end of the credits, of course. Not only that, but at the end of the game, everyone in the game thanks you, personally, for all that you did for them, assures you that their world is going to be okay, and hopes that your world is as good to you as you've been to them.
- Ditto for the fangame Touhou Mother.
- A staple of at least the SNES releases of Mega Man X games. "Thanks X, Zero and YOU!"
- One of the hidden galleries in the original Medal of Honor has the entire cast (including the joke characters of multiplayer) cheering and thanking the player in a huge group shot.
- The Prehistorik series.
- Used in Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song, with the character you selected directly thanking the player and encouraging them to "help the others just like you did me!", to roughly paraphrase it.
- "Thank you so much a for-to playing my game!" from every 3D Super Mario Bros. game. It's even said by Mario himself!
- At the end of Super Mario World, the Yoshi eggs Mario rescued thank you, the player, for saving them.
- Hotel Mario: "YOU'RE THE BEST PLAYER EVER!"
- The coral in World 9-4 of Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels spells out "アリガトウ!" (arigatou!, "Thank you!"). Also, the Game Over screen if you die there, which appends "You're a super player! We hope we'll see you again. Mario and staff." below the usual message.
- The flipping tiles at the end of Special 8-Crown in Super Mario 3D Land.
- Super Mario Galaxy: "Thank you. I will always watch you from beyond the stars..."
- Also, if you get all of the 120 stars in Super Mario 64, Yoshi appears on top of the castle, greeting Mario as an old friend. However, the end of his speech ends with "The Super Mario 64 Team", meaning that his message isn't entirely his own. But the later part of the speech has a lot of thanking.
- The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: towards the beginning of the game, you - the player - were asked to sign for a letter. At the very end of the credits, your signature appears.
- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link: Thanks A Million
- Karoshi: THANKS FOR PLAY
- Castlevania says in its credits: "You played the greatest role in this game". Some of the later titles also thank the player.
- Snatcher has a strange example: After Gillian and Jamie escape from the church before it's destroyed with the Kill Sat along with the Snatcher production factory, Random thanks the player for being "a hell of a Junker" as he holds Elijah down. He thanks the player after the character he's been controlling leaves the scene.
- In Arfenhouse 3, the "Special Thanks" section of the credits ends with "...and you...for doing nothing."
- Messiah: "Thanks for playing", with the protagonist waving at you.
- Tomb Raider (2013):"Thank you for taking the time to complete our game" in the first part of the credit.
- Halo: Reach's credits open with Bungie thanking the fans for all their support throughout the past decade. It doubles as a touching farewell, because Reach turned out to be Bungie's last Halo game.
- Halo 4 has a particularly heartwarming one: the credits open with a message from 343 Industries that not only thanks the player for completing the game, but putting their trust in them as they take over the direction of the franchise.
- "I am Calypso, and I thank you for playing Twisted Metal."
- Hyperdimension Neptunia's Golden Ending has your three primary party members thanking you personally for getting them to the best ending. The game has No Fourth Wall to begin with, but this is the only time they talk directly to the player.
- The PS Vita/PC Updated Re-release, Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1, also does this, in both the normal ending which plays similarly to the original example, only with the other 3 goddesses and a cameo from Arfoire added, and in the Golden Ending in which everyone from the Maker characters, to the CPU Candidates to NPCs and even Arfoire herself gives their thanks.
- The original Portal ends its credits with "THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING IN THIS ENRICHMENT CENTER ACTIVITY".
- Simply completing Arkistas Ring rewards the player with Christine thanking the player for saving Arkista's Ring.
- In Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon, the final "Very Special Thanks" credit goes to "You! (For Shelling Out Your Hard Earned Bucks To Buy This Game)."
- Mega Pony ends its "special thanks" section with thanks "to you, 'cause you just don't put a thanks section without thanking the player, that'd be just rude!"
- Final Fantasy VI: The "cast list" of the game, where each of the playable characters who you picked up in the World Of Ruin is shown with what they were renamed to as well as their original names, end with "AND YOU".
- Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout ends with a gradually populating image of the game's cast and an upbeat song in which Hironobu Kageyama sings "Thank you!"
- Two examples from BioWare:
To all of you who played Dragon Age: Inquisition: who laughed, cried, and reached out on social media; who made fan art and comics and cosplay and jokes - Thank you. Dragon Age: Inquisition was a labor of love. Without you, it would never have been possible. Your support and your passion touched us deeply. We hope that, in some small way, this game touched you as well.
- The credits scene at the end of Dragon Age: Inquisition's Tresspasser DLC has Cassandra read out excerpts from Varric's new book about the Inquisition, All This Shit is Weird. But after the narration, that's more - a heartfelt message from the Dragon Age team:
Bare your blade and raise it high.note
It has been a long journey - for Shepard and for the team here at BioWare - and like Shepard, we couldn't have done it alone. The Mass Effect trilogy began as a vision of a small team, but over the years it has grown. That growth has been fueled and shaped by the feedback and support of our player community. Thank you for joining us on this journey, and we look forward to sharing further adventures with you in the Mass Effect universe.
- The end of the credits of Mass Effect 3's Extended Cut:
- A blink-and-you'll-miss-it example from the true ending of World of Final Fantasy. Before resuming the Dance Party Creative Closing Credits, Enna Kros thanks the player.
- Starcraft II Nova Covert Ops ends with a thank you to the players throughout the franchise before the credits roll to the sight of Nova's ship speeding through asteriods.
- Shadow of the Wool Ball: From the credits: "Thanks a lot for playing my game! :D"
- The final page of Concerned.
- Every chapter of Gunnerkrigg Court ends with Tom Siddell thanking the reader in The Rant.
- The end of Problem Sleuth has some credits with the line "Story: You", because it's an interactive comic.
- This strip of Bomango. The DeviantArt gallery hit 2 million pageviews. So someone asks Gogo if she wants to thank the readers or anything. But she's trying to sleep, so Gogo, being Gogo and all, tells them to "[...]shut up and get out of [her] room or else [she'll] start breaking bones."
- Many Youtube channels and streamers will regularly thank their viewers and subscribers, some to the point of Memetic Mutation.
- No-one appreciates their audience as much as Markiplier. In addition to more 'thank you for watching' type things than we could hope to list he makes videos just to tell his fans how awesome they are. Like this one.
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold's finale ended with nearly all the cast from past episodes gathering for a "wrap up party" hosted by Ambush Bug. Batman then turns to the viewers and thanks them for watching as we get a final group shot.
- Cartoon Planet would thank you for watching the Closing Credits, then end with a "See You Soon."
- David Mandel thanks the viewers in his Vanity Plate on Clerks: The Animated Series.
- Codename: Kids Next Door ended with a drawing by series creator, Tom Warburton (Mr. Warburton in the credits), of the Sector V cast overlooking the sunset from their treehouse with the words "Stay Young" at the top. A subtle thank you to the viewers for the six-year series.
- Daria always had a licensed song playing during its Creative Closing Credits; in the Grand Finale, the "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue ends with the beginning of a song from Supergrass: "Thanks to everyone for everything you've done/But now it's tiiiiime to go...'"
- Drawn Together. Hey Assholes, thanks for watching!
- Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends had a drawing of Mac and Bloo at the end of the final episode from series creator, Craig McCracken, with a thank you to the viewers.
- Once per Episode, the end of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (except for the first season) has Mickey saying to the viewers "Aww, thanks for stopping by!"
- From the last episode of Phineas and Ferb the song "Thank You For Comin' Along" has the characters singing to the audience, thanking them for watching. At the end of the song, Phineas waves goodbye to the audience before closing the door.
- The Simpsons episode "Once Upon a Time in Springfield" ends with a message thanking the audience tuning in for the past 20 years.
- As does their 500th episode, which also asks viewers to get outside before going online to say the episode sucked.
- During Toonami's final broadcast (until its 2012 revival), TOM 4.0 thanks the viewers for eleven years of support.
- The Popeye short Me Musical Nephews has Popeye's nephews saying their prayers before bedtime, mentioning all their friends. They hop into to bed, only to quickly get back out and add "And all the people who come to see our pictures."
- The credits for the final episode of Animaniacs has the message "A special THANK YOU to all those who have contributed to the success of Animaniacs."
- OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes's ending theme (sung by Rebecca Sugar) is about making cartoons, with the second half thanking the viewer in several ways.
Thanks you for coming.
Thanks you for staying.
Thank you for watching the show!
- Disney Sing-Along Songs: The live Disneyland Fun video has, at the end of the Special Thanks credits, "...and all the guests who joined us for a day of Disneyland Fun."
- Many towns, at the town limits, will have a sign saying something to the effect of "Thank you for visiting!" (it's usually on the reverse of a "Welcome to ___" sign)
Thank you for reading TV Tropes!