which, among other thanks, thank the viewer for watching/reading/playing. Can address the viewer directly in second person ("Thanks to... YOU"), or refer to them in the third person ("Thanks to all our viewers/everyone who read my comic/etc.") Sometimes also the last element in Special Thanks
When viewers are thanked specifically for financial support, that's Viewers Like You
. For Video Game
characters Breaking the Fourth Wall
to acknowledge your assistance, see The Player Is The Most Important Resource
Anime and Manga
- One of the last Azumanga Daioh strips had the girls going to Yukari and thanking her for being their teacher. However, the actual "Thank You" panel showed the girls facing toward the reader, subtly thanking them as well.
- The very final shot in Puella Magi Madoka Magica is this◊ "Thank you for watching" artwork.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion inverts this with the infamous congratulatory scene at the end. What exactly you are being congratulated for is all up to you, though. Perhaps for making it through the show.
- In episode 167 of Gintama, Gintoki becomes nostalgic about 8-bit video games and mentions how touched he was when he saw the words "you" in the credits at the end of the game.
- Battle Programmer Shirase had an unusual variant. The head director apologized for the show having to end, specifically addressing: "To those who enjoyed the show on TV and to those outside the broadcast area who took special measures to watch the show on their PC monitors and to everybody who watched it subtitled overseas without permission."
- Some of Pretty Cure's Alternate Continuities do this for its fans.
- Most Fan Fic writers thank their readers at some point, but this especially tends to happen a) on the last installment of their work and b) when the work has been particularly long and/or with many readers and fans ("Thanks for sticking with me so long/being such wonderful fans").
- In Video Games in general it's almost a tradition to thank the player at the ending credits. The phrase 'and YOU' appears in the end credits of huge numbers of games, including many Capcom arcade games.
- Viewtiful Joe ends with the words "Everybody loves a hero. Everybody loves you" on the screen.
- Crazy Taxi
- The computer game Digital: A Love Story.
- The credits sequence in Kirby's Dream Land ends in "And... so many players."
- EarthBound did it. It even addresses the player by their real name.
- Assuming that you didn't put in "BUTTS" or "Ness".
- In MOTHER 3, you are mentioned, by name, at the end of the credits, of course. Not only that, but at The End of the game, Everyone in the game thanks you, personally, for all that you did for them, assures you that their world is going to be okay, and hopes that your world is as good to you as you've been to them.
- A staple of at least the SNES releases of Mega Man X games. "Thanks X, Zero and YOU!"
- One of the hidden galleries in the original Medal of Honor has the entire cast (including the joke characters of multiplayer) cheering and thanking the player in a huge group shot.
- The Prehistorik series.
- Used in Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song, with the character you selected directly thanking the player and encouraging them to "help the others just like you did me!", to roughly paraphrase it.
- "Thank you so much a for-to playing my game!" from every 3D Super Mario Bros. game. It's even said by Mario himself!
- At the end of Super Mario World, the Yoshi eggs Mario rescued thank you, the player, for saving them.
- Hotel Mario: "YOU'RE THE BEST PLAYER EVER!"
- The coral in World 9-4 of Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels spells out "アリガトウ!" (arigatou!, "Thank you!"). Also, the Game Over screen if you die there, which appends "You're a super player! We hope we'll see you again. Mario and staff." below the usual message.
- The flipping tiles at the end of Special 8-Crown in Super Mario 3D Land.
- Super Mario Galaxy: "Thank you. I will always watch you from beyond the stars..."
- Also, if you get all of the 120 stars in Super Mario 64, Yoshi appears on top of the castle, greeting Mario as an old friend. However, the end of his speech ends with "The Super Mario 64 Team", meaning that his message isn't entirely his own. But the later part of the speech has a lot of thanking.
- The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: towards the beginning of the game, you - the player - were asked to sign for a letter. At the very end of the credits, your signature appears.
- Karoshi: THANKS FOR PLAY
- Castlevania I says in its credits: "You played the greatest role in this game". Some of the later titles also thank the player.
- Snatcher has a strange example: After Gillian and Jamie escape from the church before it's destroyed with the Kill Sat along with the Snatcher production factory, Random thanks the player for being "a hell of a Junker" as he holds Elijah down. He thanks the player after the character he's been controlling leaves the scene.
- In Arfenhouse 3, the "Special Thanks" section of the credits ends with "...and you...for doing nothing."
- Messiah: "Thanks for playing", with the protagonist waving at you.
- Tomb Raider (2013):"Thank you for taking the time to complete our game" in the first part of the credit.
- Halo 4 has a particularly heartwarming one: the credits open with a message from 343 studios that not only thanks the player for completing the game, but putting their trust in them as they take over the direction of the franchise.
- "I am Calypso, and I thank you for playing Twisted Metal."
- Hyperdimension Neptunia's Golden Ending has your three primary party members thanking you personally for getting them to the best ending. The game has No Fourth Wall to begin with, but this is the only time they talk directly to the player.
- No-one appreciates their audience as much as Markiplier. In addition to more 'thank you for watching' type things then we could hope to list he makes videos just to tell his fans how awesome they are. Like this one.
- Codename: Kids Next Door ended with a drawing by series creator, Tom Warburton (Mr. Warburton in the credits), of the Sector V cast overlooking the sunset from their treehouse with the words "Stay Young" at the top. A subtle thank you to the viewers for the six-year series.
- Cartoon Planet would thank you for watching the Closing Credits, then end with a "See You Soon."
- Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends had a drawing of Mac and Bloo at the end of the final episode from series creator, Craig McCracken, with a thank you to the viewers.
- Drawn Together. Hey Assholes, thanks for watching!
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold's finale ended with nearly all the cast from past episodes gathering for a "wrap up party" hosted by Ambush Bug. Batman then turns to the viewers and thanks them for watching as we get a final group shot.
- David Mandel thanks the viewers in his Vanity Plate on Clerks.
- The Simpsons episode "Once Upon a Time in Springfield" ends with a message thanking the audience tuning in for the past 20 years.
- During Toonami's final broadcast (until its 2012 revival), TOM 4.0 thanks the viewers for eleven years of support.
- Once per Episode, the end of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (except for the first season) has Mickey saying to the viewers "Aww, thanks for stopping by!"
- Daria always had a licensed song playing during its Creative Closing Credits; in the Grand Finale, the "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue ends with the beginning of a song from Supergrass: "Thanks to everyone for everything you've done/But now it's tiiiiime to go...'"
Thank you for reading TV Tropes!